Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

soo much pessimism jeez... chill guys, these are basically kids and have been playing for like more than a year and are having new players being added in between (import and some fil-ams) so they still have to gel.. but you could definitely see the improvement which was the real rationale for it all in the first place and their game is way different than the PBA style ball hog with soo much passing, movement and emphasis on 3-point shooting. Slaughter's improvement is a testament to this as he used to suck big time when they started.. if they could be this good this year then what more could you expect next year plus they do have a decent program going on with a bigger national pool players and a strong under 18 team. Its not like Graham Lim is still running this team folks. The Iranian team that is lording it now started as young guys that our PBA selection used to dominate back then, so was Jordan and Lebanon but look where they are now. Just have to be patient and avoid the quick fix solutions that was implemented then. Heck, even the US team have to field their stongest team to win the international ball game as it requires total team effort and not rely on pure individual talent alone. I think we are on the right track..

Guest hastati

could smart gilas be the answer?

obviously, for so many reasons, and undeniably .... NO

What made you say this? I think Toroman is doing a good job in whipping this team into a well-oiled machine in such short a time. Let's see in the Asian Games if SG is not the answer. I'd be disappointed if SG doesn't land in the top 3 in the Asian Games. I was just expressing my sentiments in my earlier post since I think without Haddadi, we can beat Iran.

Edited by hastati

Not really pessimistic............its reality. We really dont have a chance at Asian crack. I have stopped dreaming. Top 3? Well, we should be the champions kasi basketball is, unofficially, our national sport! Unlike sa mga tumatalo sa atin, ni hindi pinapansin sa kanila ang basketball....baseball or soccer pa. Yes, I agree, Toroman is doing is best but Pinoys have limitations. Maski isabak mo best of PBA, not a chance maging champion. :rolleyes:

Guest hastati

^Everybody is entitled to his opinion but everybody has given up on SG when in fact they only have been together for a relatively short time. Iran took years to train and whip into shape. You don't expect results overnight. I'm sure if SG becomes Asian Games or FIBA champion, madaming bandwagoners ang sasakay. They have the right ingredients to become champion. Iran used to be our whipping boys. Dati linalampaso lang yan nina Limpot, Cardel, Francisco and Racela back in the late 80's. Toroman is the right coach and I think he's moving SG in the right direction. I used to think that pros should represent RP but after what I saw in the SG games, I really believe we have a shot at glory.

whether or not this present crop of bball players are the answer to our basketball woes, i think they still deserve our support. afterall, win or lose, we will always send a bball team to international competitions, right? so why not support them irregardless of their chances of reigning supreme in asian bball. just take their losses with a grain of salt and look forward to future successes. if it doesn't come, hey..

now if i were to support an r.p. team, i'd rather have these kids to cheer on compared to pba multimillionaires. the difference in my book is that these kids still play due to love of the game and pride in donning the country's colors, making supporting this gilas team is easier to swallow. with the pba players, their playing is at times suspect. this is the same reason i like watching the uaap and ncaa games when i have the chance. the pba, i have long forgotten.

Guest hastati

whether or not this present crop of bball players are the answer to our basketball woes, i think they still deserve our support. afterall, win or lose, we will always send a bball team to international competitions, right? so why not support them irregardless of their chances of reigning supreme in asian bball. just take their losses with a grain of salt and look forward to future successes. if it doesn't come, hey..

Well-said kanski. As I said, with the current line-up, I really believe we have a shot at landing in the top 3 in the Asiad. We now have the height to deal with China, Iran and Lebanon not to mention the speed and outside sniping.

Edited by hastati

top 3 sa asian games? asa pa :-)

our pg are usually good enough as traditional pgs, kinakatay tayo sa wings and bigs, eh kung ang star player mo is a 2/sg who is only 6 feet tall, yari na, pagdating sa international game hindi na yun makakatira with the opposing 6-5 harrassing him :-)

Guest hastati

top 3 sa asian games? asa pa :-)

our pg are usually good enough as traditional pgs, kinakatay tayo sa wings and bigs, eh kung ang star player mo is a 2/sg who is only 6 feet tall, yari na, pagdating sa international game hindi na yun makakatira with the opposing 6-5 harrassing him :-)

Then he will have to use his speed to overcome the height disparity. The game of SG does not revolve around that guy. Let's just wait and see in the Asiad if that will be the case.

^Everybody is entitled to his opinion but everybody has given up on SG when in fact they only have been together for a relatively short time. Iran took years to train and whip into shape. You don't expect results overnight. I'm sure if SG becomes Asian Games or FIBA champion, madaming bandwagoners ang sasakay. They have the right ingredients to become champion. Iran used to be our whipping boys. Dati linalampaso lang yan nina Limpot, Cardel, Francisco and Racela back in the late 80's. Toroman is the right coach and I think he's moving SG in the right direction. I used to think that pros should represent RP but after what I saw in the SG games, I really believe we have a shot at glory.

You don't need to wait for this team to become champions before you see these bandwagoners. I do remember then that I had this argument with this guy who says that RP should continue sending the all pro POWERADE team just because they are supposedly the better team. All it took was a beating from the SG team and suddenly he sings PRAISES and throws his support to the Gilas team. BEAT THAT!!! :lol:

Well-said kanski. As I said, with the current line-up, I really believe we have a shot at landing in the top 3 in the Asiad. We now have the height to deal with China, Iran and Lebanon not to mention the speed and outside sniping.

Being patriotic, I support this team and wish them all the success.

However being realistic, a top 3 maybe a stretch for me for the Asiad which is a few months down the road. We can't even beat Iran without their top dog in the Jones cup. China is still an Asian top 3 power even without their NBA players. winning against Lebanon, Korea and Japan is not even a more than 50% probability. <_<

Yes, we now have the height because of your so-called import in Marcus D. as well as Greg S. plus Japeth but hey are these guys at par already talent wise to our powerful Asian neighbors?

Then he will have to use his speed to overcome the height disparity. The game of SG does not revolve around that guy. Let's just wait and see in the Asiad if that will be the case.

problem is the opponent doesn't only have the height...they've got speed as well ;)

I think with Iran it shows that we can't overcome them during that game even with (supposedly) speed on our side. Do we have to talk about China wherein their players even the Bigs are agile and fast. Now with Lebanon your star SG is matched up against the veteran Fadi el Khatib a 6'6" SG.

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

You don't need to wait for this team to become champions before you see these bandwagoners. I do remember then that I had this argument with this guy who says that RP should continue sending the all pro POWERADE team just because they are supposedly the better team. All it took was a beating from the SG team and suddenly he sings PRAISES and throws his support to the Gilas team. BEAT THAT!!! :lol:-Talagang from thread to thread sinusundan talaga ako ng aso kong ulol. Dun ka na lang sa NBA Appreciation thread. Wala ka na bang makausap dun at lahat ng post ko qinoquote mo.:lol:

Being patriotic, I support this team and wish them all the success.

However being realistic, a top 3 maybe a stretch for me for the Asiad which is a few months down the road. We can't even beat Iran without their top dog in the Jones cup. China is still an Asian top 3 power even without their NBA players. winning against Lebanon, Korea and Japan is not even a more than 50% probability.-Are you sure of this assessment of yours that SG won't even crack the top 3? Sagutin mo to bopols hakasi everytime tinatanong kita, parati kang nababara.If yes, show why. Sayong-sayo na nga yung NBA thread tapos sinusundan mo pa ko dito. :lol:

Yes, we now have the height because of your so-called import in Marcus D. as well as Greg S. plus Japeth but hey are these guys at par already talent wise to our powerful Asian neighbors?-Are you sure they're not? Sagutin mo to ha kasi takot ka pag ako nagtatanong sayo. :lol:

problem is the opponent doesn't only have the height...they've got speed as well ;)-SG has both. So what are you getting at? Sagutin mo din to at wag ka ng umilag kasi barado ka parati pag tinatanong kita. :lol:

I think with Iran it shows that we can't overcome them during that game even with (supposedly) speed on our side. Do we have to talk about China wherein their players even the Bigs are agile and fast. Now with Lebanon your star SG is matched up against the veteran Fadi el Khatib a 6'6" SG.-It's only one game against Iran. Besides, this is just a warm-up tournament. Too pessimistic but I bet if SG wins in the Asiad, you'll be one of the first bandwagoners to ride the bandwagon. Besides, you're a known Laker bandwagoner who only started posting when the Lakers became champions last year. :lol:

Edited by hastati

I think my comment is clear enough for one to comprehend. One does not have to be a genius to know what point I am driving at.

If that still was not clear, Yes I believe that at this point going to the Asaid wars a top 3 finish is still hard to achieve considering the questions/issues i raised. That is my assessment and I could be wrong and if that happens I would be more than happy coz this team over achieved.

From the beginning I am in favor of SG as the representative to our subsequent international competitions win or lose. My stand then was I believe a well prepared amature team is still better than the supposedly "more talented" pros team but formed in a rush. Further, voicing out a negative assessment of how the team would probabaly perform does not mean you don't support that team anymore. As such can't be tagged as a bandwagoner.

Bandwagoners are those who from the start have voiced out that this is not the team for international competitions but suddenly decides to support it just because it won (most specially as I've pointed out over one's previous choice). I guess those who's conscience are clear need not react as I did not name names at all.

we do have deadly 3 pt shooters, the only problem is they're SHORT deadly 3 pt shooters na mabilis ang release, eh madikitan lang ng opposing player and mga 2/3 natin sa smart gilas, mintis na.

nung time nina caidic, caidic was not just a deadly 3 pt shooter, he was extremely deadly with a fast release, and at 6-2 he was tall enough for that era to dominate as a 2/3.

sa ngayon, a 2/3 should be 6-5 and fast to have a chance on the defense side, and that's where we are losing.

groan.

Guest hastati

I think my comment is clear enough for one to comprehend. One does not have to be a genius to know what point I am driving at.-You said that the other teams have height and speed. I said we have both. What are you getting at?

If that still was not clear, Yes I believe that at this point going to the Asaid wars a top 3 finish is still hard to achieve considering the questions/issues i raised. That is my assessment and I could be wrong and if that happens I would be more than happy coz this team over achieved.-What issues? That Iran beat us? If it's one of your issues, it was only one game. This is a warm-up tournament. What do you expect? That SG would give its all? If that's what you think then you obviously don't know international basketball.

From the beginning I am in favor of SG as the representative to our subsequent international competitions win or lose. My stand then was I believe a well prepared amature team is still better than the supposedly "more talented" pros team but formed in a rush. Further, voicing out a negative assessment of how the team would probabaly perform does not mean you don't support that team anymore. As such can't be tagged as a bandwagoner.-But you are a Laker bandwagoner. It's ok to admit it. Bandwagoning ain't a crime.

Bandwagoners are those who from the start have voiced out that this is not the team for international competitions but suddenly decides to support it just because it won (most specially as I've pointed out over one's previous choice). I guess those who's conscience are clear need not react as I did not name names at all.-It won what? Against an all-pro team? A bandwagoner is someone who suddenly supports a newly-crowned champion or someone who supports a team that suddenly became a powerhouse (e.g. Miami Heat).

we do have deadly 3 pt shooters, the only problem is they're SHORT deadly 3 pt shooters na mabilis ang release, eh madikitan lang ng opposing player and mga 2/3 natin sa smart gilas, mintis na.

nung time nina caidic, caidic was not just a deadly 3 pt shooter, he was extremely deadly with a fast release, and at 6-2 he was tall enough for that era to dominate as a 2/3.

sa ngayon, a 2/3 should be 6-5 and fast to have a chance on the defense side, and that's where we are losing.

groan.

MISMO!!!

It is said to win we need height and speed. Unfortunately, some just don't see this going hand in hand. Just because we have a couple of 7 footers then we got height. Just because we got a speedy backcout then we also have speed. Put those two together and we're competitive because we now got speed and height. :lol:

At the guard position, our flat 6 ft shooters will be hounded by 6'5" who are as quick as they are. As to the Bigs, the likes of Japeth and Greg will be pitted against opponents of the same height but maybe with more bulk and more athletic.

Rome was not built in a day or a year ... same goes for this team. Don't expect things to happen overnight. If this team is competitive enough would you think coach RAJO will still knock on the doors of the PBA to send the league his wish list? And as one may asked me again ...my answer is HELL NO!!! <_<

Guest hastati

groan.

This concern of yours can be remedied by high picks that will be set-up by the small forward or point guard. Just curious, since you said Caidic and the current 2-guard have quick releases, there won't be a problem as to the time needed to release the shot. Even Caidic had a problem shooting if the defender used a leech-like defense on him. If you wathced the Asian Games in 1990, Caidic had a difficult time against China coz the Chinese used a leech-like defense on him. Caidic also needed screens before shooting.

Guest hastati

MISMO!!!

It is said to win we need height and speed. Unfortunately, some just don't see this going hand in hand. Just because we have a couple of 7 footers then we got height. Just because we got a speedy backcout then we also have speed. Put those two together and we're competitive because we now got speed and height.-Isn't height what we need in order to be able to match-up with opponents that have tall players? Masasagot mo kaya to?

At the guard position, our flat 6 ft shooters will be hounded by 6'5" who are as quick as they are. As to the Bigs, the likes of Japeth and Greg will be pitted against opponents of the same height but maybe with more bulk and more athletic.-The fact is we now have the height to match-up with tall teams. As I said in my previous post, SG's shooters can be freed up by picks or didn't you even think about it? But if you didn't, I wouldn't be surprised. If leading Iran to the Olympics doesn't speak volumes as to the genius of Toroman, then I don't know what will. Take note, in terms of talent, SG is better than Iran.

Rome was not built in a day or a year ... same goes for this team. Don't expect things to happen overnight. If this team is competitive enough would you think coach RAJO will still knock on the doors of the PBA to send the league his wish list? And as one may asked me again ...my answer is HELL NO!!!-He only got one player if I'm not mistaken, Kelly Williams. I am still firm in my belief that SG will land in the top 3 in the Asiad.

Sir Hastati mukhang para sa inyo pinagbibigyan lamang ng Gilas ang Iran :lol: sa pagkakaalam ko po ay hindi pa nananalo ang Gilas sa Iran kahit saang tournament sila nagtagpo. Sa pagkakataong ito hindi pa naglaro un c centro nila na NBA player at tambak pa rin tayo. Mukhang partida pa ata at may jet lag pa sila dahil kadarating lang nila at unang laban nila ang Gilas team.

Tulad ng sinabi ni Amante, olats tayo sa mga hapon at nangailangan pa ng OT sa mga Taiwanese na kahit na parehong mga Tsino ay hamak namang mas magagaling ang nga mainlanders.

Guest hastati

Sir Hastati mukhang para sa inyo pinagbibigyan lamang ng Gilas ang Iran :lol: sa pagkakaalam ko po ay hindi pa nananalo ang Gilas sa Iran kahit saang tournament sila nagtagpo. Sa pagkakataong ito hindi pa naglaro un c centro nila na NBA player at tambak pa rin tayo. Mukhang partida pa ata at may jet lag pa sila dahil kadarating lang nila at unang laban nila ang Gilas team.-Did I even imply na pinagbibigyan ng SG ang Iran? Sa pagkakaalam mo. Kelan ka ba pinanganak at hindi mo alam na tinatambakan lang dati yan ng RP ang Iran? :lol: Naging competitive lang naman yan ang Iran yung si Toroman na naging coach.

Tulad ng sinabi ni Amante, olats tayo sa mga hapon at nangailangan pa ng OT sa mga Taiwanese na kahit na parehong mga Tsino ay hamak namang mas magagaling ang nga mainlanders.-Better use your real nick or perhaps your second nick. :lol: Basahin mo kasi tulad ng sinabi ko sayo ilang beses na na ito ay warm-up tournament lang. Hindi naman ng SG magpakita ng gilas sa tournament na to.