Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

Smart Gilas lost to an All star team with 6 NBA draft prospects 108-99.

New fil-am discovery chris banchero, 6'1 PG, made 22pts. 6reb. 4asst.

Greg Slaughter with 25pts. and 11reb.

Chris Lutz has agree to play for RP. He is coming in mid-May.

-Noli Eala

bakit di kasi nila binigyan ng chance si adam parada. the mexican-american center(played in previous mexican national team) who had stint with red bull?

siya mismo ang nagalok ng service niya sa national team because he really wants to help the team (not just because of money, but because his wife is a filipina). why looking for players who haven't really been in the philippines, and doesn't want to stay long in the philippines?

i believe parada plays for the mexican national team

in short, FIBA rules, ineligible na sya to play for any other country other than Mexico

Guest megalodon

Smart Gilas lost to an All star team with 6 NBA draft prospects 108-99.

New fil-am discovery chris banchero, 6'1 PG, made 22pts. 6reb. 4asst.

Greg Slaughter with 25pts. and 11reb.

Chris Lutz has agree to play for RP. He is coming in mid-May.

-Noli Eala

Looks like Greg Slaughter has improved by leaps and bounds. 25 points and 11 rebounds against 6 NBA draft prospects. That's quite impressive.

Looks like Greg Slaughter has improved by leaps and bounds. 25 points and 11 rebounds against 6 NBA draft prospects. That's quite impressive.

that may be true...pero isa lang sya. meron lang syang 5 fouls.

next tall nila ay si Japeth Aguilar na

meaning, pag lumabas si slaughter, maliit na ang line up bigla

so, kailangan pa din nilang humanap ng isang pang-centro, otherwise talo na ulit ang pinas sa height

Guest megalodon

that may be true...pero isa lang sya. meron lang syang 5 fouls.

next tall nila ay si Japeth Aguilar na

meaning, pag lumabas si slaughter, maliit na ang line up bigla

so, kailangan pa din nilang humanap ng isang pang-centro, otherwise talo na ulit ang pinas sa height

I was thinking of Slaughter as a back-up center to the naturalized player that SG is gonna recruit. Or Slaughter could be the center if Coach T would want to play a big line-up with Aguilar at the SF spot and the naturalized player at the PF spot.

Smart Gilas' saga continues to be interesting (or shall I say complicating?). Read the article below from

Philstar:

Smart 5 keen on enlisting Williams

By Nelson Beltran (The Philippine Star) Updated May 05, 2010 12:00 AM

“Kelly Williams is a marquee player..."

| Zoom MANILA, Philippines - Smart-PLDT yesterday vowed to pursue its plan to tap Kelly Williams for Smart Gilas as Sta. Lucia expressed willingness to release its star player to the RP training team provided it is properly compensated.

Ricky Vargas, vice president of Smart-PLDT and vice chairman of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, said they would certainly approach Sta. Lucia top official Buddy Encarnado to discuss the matter.

“First of all, we really like Kelly to play for Smart Gilas. If that’s (Sta. Lucia-Talk n Text trade involving Williams) the only way for Kelly to play for Smart, then we would grab the opportunity. We thank Buddy (Encarnado) for that,” said Vargas in an interview with NBN Sports.

“There’s no official talk yet. But with Buddy’s statement, I will immediately call him, thank him and seek a meeting. We will not let this opportunity get away,” Vargas added.

On Sunday, Encarnado told The STAR they would let Williams join Smart Gilas if their own need is satisfied.

Smart Gilas coach Rajko Toroman is keen on having Williams in his roster especially with Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas having a hard time looking for a naturalized player.

Toroman and his chargers are now in deep preparation for the coming FIBA Asia Champions Cup and the Asian Games. The same team would vie in the Asian Olympic qualifier next year.

“Kelly Williams is a marquee player. They have to understand that our team would be jeopardized if we give him up without anything in return,” said Encarnado.

“We’re amenable if we’re compensated. How? I don’t know. They have to think of ways dahil nanahimik kami,” Encarnado added.

Encarnado hinted at a trade between Sta. Lucia and Talk n Text, and that’s something Vargas wants to explore.

“That’s a good offer and Talk n Text is willing to do that. But, of course, it requires board action and for the commissioner to favor such action,” said Vargas.

“Coach Rajko is not only after Kelly. He also wants Jarred (Dillinger) from our team. So this would really be a board policy decision,” Vargas added.

The affable Smart-PLDT official said they could offer their big men (Ali Peek and Nic Belasco) in exchange for Williams.

“I don’t want to second guess Buddy. He knows better, but I think they need big men,” said Vargas discounting the possibility of giving away Jimmy Alapag, Macmac Cardona, Jason Castro and Harvey Carey.

Vargas stressed they would pursue a trade as they’re committed to do everything to make Smart Gilas a competitive team.

“Our chairman Mr. Manny Pangilinan is committed to this. That’s why the Smart Gilas team has become the most traveled group of players. We’re being patient. We’re taking time and taking risk,” Vargas said.

Wtih this development, unit-unting nadi-diffuse yung original cast na naghirap, nangarap din, at nag-sakripisyo from the start

While recent move to acquire fil foreigner to beef up the squad is a welcome development to further enhance the competitiveness of this team, then again given how close these moves were made towards the Asian games is this a sign that we are again in panic mode thus the quick fix approach again (with a twist)?

I do also feel for the original members who have sacrificed from the start only to be bump off the last minute.

i am slowly losing interest with this team. it fails to excite me the way it did when it was composed of homegrown pinoy collegiate players backed up by just one import.

i agree with you.. then, until now they are still focusing on getting additional players.

i agree with you.. then, until now they are still focusing on getting additional players.

i guess the fact remains that we really suck with regards to international competition and SBP realize that with the present lineup we are doom from the very start... thats why frankie lim is shuttling back and fort to scout for FIL FOREIGNER in the land of milk and honey....the present lineup of collegiate players will find it very hard competing in the pba lest against our asian counterpart... thats why our homegrown layers will be relegated as support players or practice players to the filforeigner players they plan to bring in.. which incidentally was already done by the PBA with minimal success during previous competition.... and to get an import and naturalize him will take a lot of money to do so.. that why giles went to the other team.....

i guess the fact remains that we really suck with regards to international competition and SBP realizes that with the present lineup we are doomed from the very start... that's why frankie lim is shuttling back and forth to scout for aFIL FOREIGNER in the land of milk and honey....the present lineup of collegiate players will find it very hard competing in the pba,lest more so against our asian counterparts... that's why our homegrown players will be relegated as support players or practice players to the filforeigner players they plan to bring in.. which incidentally was already done by the PBA with minimal success during previous competition.... and to get an import and naturalize him will take a lot of money to do so.. that iswhy giles went to the other team.....

ayan na naman, inilabas mo na naman pagka-jejemon mo!

Lassiter won't suit up for Gilas in Asia Cup

(The Philippine Star) Updated May 17, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Filipino-American guard Marcio Lassiter will not join Smart Gilas Pilipinas when it competes in the 21st FIBA-Asia Champions Cup slated May 22-30 in Doha, Qatar.

This after the team decided to rest Lassiter, who joined the Nationals in the Dubai Invitational last January, after hurting his right knee in the series of exhibition games with American Basketball Association teams weeks ago.

“He can’t join us in Doha. He has a slight tear on his right knee,” said Allan Gregorio, one of RP’s Serbian coach Rajko Toroman’s assistants.

“Team doctors want Marcio to rest the knee for at least a month, so he can’t play in Doha,” Jude Roque, also a Smart Gilas assistant coach, said.

Lassiter joined JV Casio, who was named best guard in the Dubai Invitational, in the list of injured players. Casio suffered an MCL injury he got when RP played in Serbia more than a month ago.

This means point guard duties will be spread out among team captain Chris Tiu, co-skipper Mark Barroca, JR Cawaling and utility guard RJ Jazul.

Tiu is playing with an ailing leg while Barroca is being bothered by a hurting back but both shrugged it off and committed to play for RP in the nine-day, import-laced tournament.

Making it worse is that Smart Gilas and Serbian import Milan Vucicevic, who only joined the squad a couple of weeks ago, has yet to adjust to teammates’ plays.

The Filipinos are hoping to improve on their fifth place finish in last year’s staging in Jakarta, Indonesia but with the recent developments, life would be a little bit tougher.

“We were complete last year so it will be really difficult for us. But we will not let this bother us. Our focus is to play better, give our best,” said Toroman.

What’s going great for Smart Gilas is that seven-foot Fil-Am Greg Slaughter has improved tremendously.

“The Dubai team is stronger than our team now if we consider the injury and new import factors. But compared to Jakarta, we’re stronger because we have more experience and our big men have all improved,” said Roque.

Slaughter, who will suit up for the reigning back-to-back UAAP champion Ateneo next season, has been carrying the load inside in the absence of an import.