Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

As far as I'm concerned, when SG goes to a tournament against top-notch European teams, a single win is relatively successful.

For someone who insist that the POWERADE TEAM should continue to represent the country since this is supposedly the better team vs GILAS and suddenly sings PRAISES to GILAS after the team manhandled Powerade in their exhibition game ... I guess your BASKETBALL IQ is unparalleled ... NO WONDER such comment.

reality check tayo sir, the team that SG beat is not top-notch, as i understand it, Div 2 team un, parang D-league

talo tayo sa Div 1 nila, in fact ung 2 ata tambakan blues ang nangyari

however, i would have to agree with celts, success is defined by one's achievement of the goal

the goal was to learn and prepare themselves for when it really counts

I have very high doubts (quite frankly) sa benefits ng Australian tour nila, kahit na panay panalo sila dun baka kasi walang naidagdag sa kaban nila ung exhibition matches nila dun

unlike sa Serbia stint, kahit panay talo, kung meron silang naiuwing learning....ung ang maituturing na success and not the win-loss card

Another case na naman ba ito ng CHECK YOUR FACTS??? :upside:

NOTED!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

fact still remains that the team is till without a legitimate big man ... they are having a hard time recruiting or signing up a big man.... WE all know that it takes a lot of money to win in any tournament.... look at the recently concluded tournament such as the UAAP and NCAA di ba the moneyed team always place on top of the tournament.... when it comes to recruiting foreigner.... we will definitely encounter problems luring in any prospect unless you throw a lots of money at them.... remember that the good players will stick to big contract and play in league where they could get a better monetary consideration for their services... hiring an import is a short term programs.... .... we may qualify for the 2012 olympics and after that what..... better to junk this program and develope players in 10 to 20 yrs down the road.... maybe by the time filipinos can grew a couple of inches to offset our lack of ceiling today..... let mr pangilianan spend his money on proper nutrition for the countless of small and future filipino ballers.... wala kasi tayong malaking magaling na player kaya hirap tayo magrecruit ng mercinary to don the national flag for pride.... they will don the national colors if and when the price is right.....

Guest megalodon
For someone who insist that the POWERADE TEAM should continue to represent the country since this is supposedly the better team vs GILAS and suddenly sings PRAISES to GILAS after the team manhandled Powerade in their exhibition game ... I guess your BASKETBALL IQ is unparalleled ... NO WONDER such comment.

Another case na naman ba ito ng CHECK YOUR FACTS??? :upside:

NOTED!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Another case of stalking? Oh well, ganun talaga pag masyadong obsessed sa master ang aso. :lol:

Another case of stalking? Oh well, ganun talaga pag masyadong obsessed sa master ang aso. :lol:

SABLAY ka lang ulit dear :headsetsmiley:

Didn't know you have a WARPED definition of stalking ... seems like you really are brushing up on your grammar. :cool:

this guy seems more like a power forward than a legitimate center. para sa akin, parang mas bagay ang athletic center who can run, score and block.

Smart Gilas may tap Iowa standout

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) Updated April 14, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Smart Gilas Pilipinas hopes to finally tap American Jared Homan as its candidate for naturalization in time for the team’s stint in the 21st FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Doha, Qatar next month.

Smart Gilas’ Serbian coach Rajko Toroman said they’re close to getting the 6-10, 250-pound Homan, a former Iowa State standout currently playing for Maroussi in the Greek League.

“We hope we’ll make an agreement with Jared Homan to be our guy for naturalization,” said Toroman during their first practice since returning from their Serbian campaign at the Meralco gym Monday night.

“I was talking yesterday (Sunday) with him and I think he’s positive about our offer in the next 24 hours. We’ll see if we will make an agreement with him,” he said.

Homan played 125 games for Iowa State from 2001 to 2005, averaging 3.6 points on his first year before progressing to 7.1, 11.5, 13.6 points the following seasons.

He later suited up for Maroussi in Greece where he piled norms of seven points in 19 minutes and later played for ASCO Wroclaw where he had an impressive 17.7-point average in just about 25 minutes an outing.

“He’s (Homan) an excellent player. He’s playing in the Euro League in Greece. He’s playing on the highest level and he was very competitive. I think he’s kind of guy who can help us a lot,” said Toroman.

Smart Gilas earlier eyed the likes of talented imports Dwayne Jones, Brian Butch and Earl Barron, who have all joined NBA teams.

Jones, one of Toroman’s top choices, went to the Phoenix Suns while Butch and Barron, a former PBA import, wound up with the Denver Nuggets and the New York Knicks, respectively.

Even Greg Stiemsma, who was last in the team’s short list, ended up being picked up by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

If Smart Gilas and Homan come to terms, the latter is expected to join the Nationals in the Champions’ Cup this May in Doha where they hope to improve on the country’s fifth place finish in Jakarta last year.

The team also hopes to have Homan naturalized in time for this November’s Guangzhou Asian Games.

Guest megalodon
SABLAY ka lang ulit dear :headsetsmiley:

Didn't know you have a WARPED definition of stalking ... seems like you really are brushing up on your grammar. :cool:

Dapat master tawag mo aso. :lol:

GILAS all the way!!! iba passion pag galing pa college and team chemistry/familiarity is PRICELESS!

:thumbsupsmiley:

This is a better road map than assembling a team composed of a bunch of PBA superstars and cramming it all up for them to establish some semblance of camaraderie and national pride. The right import na lang kulang and i think we could be an Asian powerhouse again. Sobrang small time pag hanggang South East Asia lang kaya nating madominate.

Dapat master tawag mo aso. :lol:

After mong ISMOLIN ang Gilas sa simula???

Eh halos makipagpatayan ka sa argumento mong POWERADE must continue to represent RP in the future. Tapos babalimbing ka nun natalo ng Gilas ang Powerade...at TAMBAK pa. Mula nun heto't nakikisawsaw ka na naman sa GLORY ng team na ito.

Sa asal mong yan di MASTER ang tawag sayo ... ASO pwede pa kasi lawit dila mo sa GILAS TEAM. harharhar :hypocritesmiley:

Just wonderin...

Gilas got the Powerade's (all-star PBA selection) numbers when they clashed, but when Gilas got pitted with each PBA teams the former can't seems to dominate latter...

Nweys, I hope their learning curve could get them into a more cohesive, better prepared team.

Gilas got the Powerade's (all-star PBA selection) numbers when they clashed, but when Gilas got pitted with each PBA teams the former can't seems to dominate latter...

Good observation ... and todate I am still puzzled how a GUY who had heated arguments as to the Powerade being still the team to represent RP in future major tournaments suddenly wavered as a result of that single game.

Ofcourse I have my own thoughts regarding the said issue :hypocritesmiley:

A latest word from Coach Toroman:

“We’re 70 percent ready for the Asian Games in November,” said Toroman. “The balance of 30 percent will be covered by the import, other new recruits and small details in defense. I think we’re on target. In Australia last month, we played the best young players. In Serbia a week ago, we played tough pro teams with lots of experience and talent. We learned more from the competition in Serbia. Time is going fast. Before this month ends, we’ll leave for Las Vegas to play five games then move to Canada for three games. Then, it’s the Stankovic Cup in Beirut, the Jones Cup in Taipei and the Asian Games in Guangzhou.”

Searching for the elusive Mr. Right to shore up the middle as a naturalized import, Smart Gilas national basketball team coach Rajko Toroman said yesterday aside from picking Jared Homan of Iowa State, he is studying the option of adding a few more Fil-foreigners for the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Doha on May 22-30.

Toroman said other possible recruits in the pipeline are 6-6 Fil-Italian Nico Monacini, 6-8 Fil-German Christian Standhardinger who averaged 8.1 points for the University of Nebraska varsity this past season and 6-1 Fil-Italian Chris Banchero of Seattle Pacific University.Fil-Am guard Chris Lutz of Marshall University is completing his obligations in school and will be ready to join Smart-Gilas for the Doha tournament.

Two points:

1. parang cramming pa rin at di 100% formed

2. baka puro Fil-foreigners na lang matira

^

imo, if toroman gets those fil-foreigners, support for sg will wane just like support for the pba has dropped. to what do i attribute that? fil-foreigners have no following.

i they were to ask me (ahem :rolleyes: ), i'd limit the no. of fil-foreigners to 25-33% and wouldn't play more than 2 at a time, leaving at least 2 locals in the line-up every second of the game (the other player being the import).

Christian Standhardinger, dba naglaro yan for Germany U-18 team?

baka naman nde mag-qualify

also....agree with Kanski, after Lutz, dapat un na ang last na foreign recruit (unless fil-for na pang-centro)

diluted na masyado ang pagka-pinoy ng team kapag madagdagan pa sila lassiter, lutz tsaka ung import

im wondering however, na-develop na kaya kay japeth ung jump shots nya? he has hops, that is a given, but how about his mid-range jumpers?

in my opinion, japeth's game pales in comparison sa center and pf positions if he is expected to bang bodies with the likes of haddadi or jian lian

however, he would certainly be awesome in the the SF position and quite frankly, i do think that if he dominates that position....ang laki ng bentahe ng gilas over sa asian competitors natin

sakit sa ulo sa match-ups yan, kahit sa anong league mo dalhin

GOOD AND BAD NEWS (from the 'Dean' as related by Coach Toroman):

Smart-Gilas national basketball team coach Rajko Toroman said the other day Greg Slaughter is maturing to become a dominant force at the slot and the 6-11 Fil-Am center has improved dramatically since joining the elite squad.

Slaughter, 21, is redshirting at Ateneo this year to be eligible for the UAAP next season but his priority will remain Gilas. He previously saw action for the University of Visayas. His American father William is 6-3 and his Filipina mother Emma Fuentes, 5-7. Born in the US, Slaughter has lived the last few years in his mother’s home province of Cebu.

“Greg went up against seven-foot players in our recent Serbia games and held his own,” said Toroman. “He’s ready for the PBA right now. He’s developed post-up moves and in the UAAP, I think he’ll dominate. He’s gaining confidence by the game. Marcio (Lassiter) and Jayvee (Casio) were our best players in Serbia. Jayvee, however, hurt his knee and we’re still not sure how bad is the injury. He’s due for another MRI and we’ll find out the extent of the damage. Marcio eventually wants to play in the PBA and right now, he’s under contract with us. He’s adjusted very well to our system. He’s much closer to his teammates now. Marcio is a tough defender and reliable scorer who can play two or three.”

As for Japeth Aguilar, Toroman said he’s still working to get in shape, mentally and physically. “He had one great game in Australia that showed his potential,” said Toroman. “We expect much more from Japeth. Because he didn’t play much in college, he needs more exposure to improve his decision-making on the court. As he gains confidence, we’ll see him improve.”

Every player in the squad has raised his level of play, continued Toroman, singling out Chris Tiu, Mac Baracael, Dylan Ababou, J. R. Cawaling, Mark Barroca and Jason Ballesteros. Center Rabeh Al-Hussaini missed the recent Australian and Serbian tours to recover from surgery to remove bone spurs in his left foot. If Al-Hussaini is ready to play, Toroman will bring him along for the coming US and Canada series.

Toroman said he’s not waiting for Cebu’s 6-10 Junmar Fajardo and UE’s Paul Lee to join Gilas. “We’ve been inviting Fajardo for two years but his school won’t allow him,” he said. “We haven’t progressed in negotiating to recruit him. As for Paul, it’s too late for him to join. His focus is on the UAAP, PBL and later the PBA.”

Toroman said convincing an import to sign up is proving more difficult than expected.

“We were close to bringing in Dwayne Jones but he was taken by the Phoenix Suns,” said Toroman. “It’s too bad because he just sits on the bench in the NBA. We were also interested in Earl Barron but he went to the New York Knicks and he’s doing very well. Brian Butch was picked up by Denver. The big guys are thinking NBA not about playing overseas so it’s been difficult convincing the top talents to consider us.”

Toroman said 6-10 center Jared Homan of Iowa State – the same school that produced Lebanese import Jackson Vroman – is now the top naturalization candidate to play for Gilas.

Toroman said from what he knows, FIBA-Asia has still to decide which city will host the 2011 Olympic qualifiers. Manila has expressed the intention to bid but Iran, Jordan and Lebanon are expected to provide stiff competition.

“We were more competitive in Serbia this year even if we won only once compared to two games last year,” said Toroman. “It was a good experience for us. There was only one game where we were blown out and it was against a team with three Serbian national players, one Slovenia national player, an American import and several national junior players, including the MVP of the under-20 selection. With more size and experience, we could’ve won more games.”

As far as I'm concerned, when SG goes to a tournament against top-notch European teams, a single win is relatively successful.

We were more competitive in Serbia this year even if we won only once compared to two games last year,” said Toroman. “It was a good experience for us. There was only one game where we were blown out and it was against a team with three Serbian national players, one Slovenia national player, an American import and several national junior players, including the MVP of the under-20 selection. With more size and experience, we could’ve won more games.”

coming from the COACH himself, I guess now you know how WARPED this guy's thinking is. specially after having his own version of the THEORY OF RELATIVITY ...

No wonder he can't stick to issues and proceed to name callings ...What a SUCKER!!! (hahahaha)

Guest megalodon
coming from the COACH himself, I guess now you know how WARPED this guy's thinking is. specially after having his own version of the THEORY OF RELATIVITY ...

No wonder he can't stick to issues and proceed to name callings ...What a SUCKER!!! (hahahaha)

If obsession were a disease, you'd be a terminal case. Talagang lahat ng posts ko, kinocomentan mo kahit nonsense na yung comment mo. Pati yung profile ko chinecheck mo. Nagkakandarapa ka na pag hindi ako makapost. Oks lang yan aso. Ganun talaga pag parati kang napapahiya sa akin. :lol:

If obsession were a disease, you'd be a terminal case. Talagang lahat ng posts ko, kinocomentan mo kahit nonsense na yung comment mo. Pati yung profile ko chinecheck mo. Nagkakandarapa ka na pag hindi ako makapost. Oks lang yan aso. Ganun talaga pag parati kang napapahiya sa akin. :lol:

Well good thing is its not ... but MENTAL case like yours is. HAHAHA! :cool: IDOL!!!

I miss my PAL

Edited by CELTS
Guest megalodon
Well good thing is its not ... but MENTAL case like yours is. HAHAHA! :cool: IDOL!!!

I miss my PAL

Your mental illness has gone from bad to worse. You're so easy. All I have to do is post and presto! you quote my post just so I will notice you. Alam ko idol mo ko but you don't have to show your affection for your hero. Syempre olats ka sa akin parati kaya idol mo ko. :lol:

On-topic: Slaughter and Aguilar could form an imposing twin tower combo with more international exposure and eventually hold their own against Yi and Yao.

Edited by megalodon
On-topic: Slaughter and Aguilar could form an imposing twin tower combo with more international exposure and eventually hold their own against Yi and Yao.

SABOG ka ba? This is Wishfull Thinking IDOL!

Para lang may maipost kung anu-ano ang pinagsusulat mo :hypocritesmiley:

Edited by CELTS
Guest megalodon

SABOG ka ba? This is Wishfull Thinking IDOL!

Para lang may maipost kung anu-ano ang pinagsusulat mo :hypocritesmiley:

Aso, kindly tell me what your basis is for saying that this wishful thinking? Many didn't think Iran could be an Asian power. Look what happened? Haddadi simply dominated Yi and it's not far-fetched that he could do the same to Yao. Pipe dream ba para sayo? Siguro para sayo since my posts are negative to you. It figures since I've always humiliated you. :lol:

Aso, kindly tell me what your basis is for saying that this wishful thinking? Many didn't think Iran could be an Asian power. Look what happened? Haddadi simply dominated Yi and it's not far-fetched that he could do the same to Yao. Pipe dream ba para sayo? Siguro para sayo since my posts are negative to you. It figures since I've always humiliated you. :lol:

If I'm the DOG then ur the DOG s@%t (harharharhar)...

Here goes your shallowness in analytics or mere stupidity. So are you categorically stating that Hamed is the better player than Yi just because Haddadi's team "dominate" Yi in the 2009? Was he able to do that consistently specially they both play in the same league... the NBA. As far as Haddadi being able to dominate YAO. Well that is a possibility but how realistic is that? When will that happen? When YAO is injured or way past his prime? At this point, YAO is still the best Chinese cager.

So what if many thinks that Iran could not become an Asian power and become one? Does that translate to Aguilar and Slaughter becoming dominant Asian force too? Haddadi is 25 and Aguilar is 23 so both are of the same basketball generation. Look where HADDADI is now in terms of his career and look where Aguilar is. Tell me, ang improvement ba sa basketball overnight? Does development (major) happen when you're in your 20's or earlier on? Haddadi has a vast international exposure when he was younger as he represented and won championships at the Asian level when he was 20 y.o and below. Can Aguilar boast of such exposure? Don't tell me that he played NCAA basketball coz am not sure how relevant that would be to his career. The fact of the matter is, the guy could not even dominate the UAAP.

If this is just a numbers game, YES I would AGREE with you that Aguilar and Slaughter could one day hold their own against YAO and YI. That is because probability-wise it is possible even if the chance is very slim to almost none. But hey, this is not about statistics so BE REAL. As a fellow Filipino, who would not want that to happen. But it probably won't.

Now I've presented my Basis ... if you have a dissenting opinion then probably its about time to lay your basis based on the individual qualifications of the 2 gentlemen. What you just did is PURELY SPECULATION. That's why its WISHFUL THINKING!!!

But, as always I know you can't control your emotions and can't match intellectual arguments so bring on your personal attacks and namecallings. You're Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo predictable!!

I'm sticking to my guns: I think it would be to SG's advantage if Aguilar is developed in the SF position.

Within the foreseeable future, best to have a naturalized import deal with Haddadi and Yao (and Yi) in the center spot. There simply isnt time to get Slaughter (or Aguilar) to that level. Baka by 2016, siguro, but not likely by 2012.

However, at 6'9", and athleticism to boot, Aguilar can dominate the SF position today. Simply putting it, mas angat ang laro ni Aguilar (sa SF position) contra sa Asian powerhouses. (Should I dare say it?) baka nga, even enough to be noticed by the Euroleague. Again, I think the only thing missing from Aguilar's game to do this is consistency in his mid-range and long-range jump shots. Di na bale ung 3-points, sila Lassiter, Casio, Barcael at Tiu na bahala dun; meaning, we have an abundance of guards to get the job done.

As for Greg Slaughter, again palagay ko mas madami pang exposure ang kailangan nya. Definitely good enough today as a reliever, that's for sure, but not enough to be the mainstay center, at least not until the next 2 or 3 years.

Which means in my mind, sino ang magiging mainstay PF? Al-Husseini, Ballesteros?

Just to wet our imaginations a bit....

What if, ito ang naging starting line up ng SG?

C - (unnamed 7-foot import)

PF - Greg Slaughter

SF - Japeth Aguilar

SG - Kelly Williams

PG - Marcio Lassiter

Maski saan mong league dalhin ang line-up na iyan, hindi tayo na tayo dehado sa size! he he he

Guest megalodon

I'm sticking to my guns: I think it would be to SG's advantage if Aguilar is developed in the SF position.-In the meantime that we still don't have a naturalized player, Coach T could use Rabeh at the PF slot with Japeth at the SF spot.

Within the foreseeable future, best to have a naturalized import deal with Haddadi and Yao (and Yi) in the center spot. There simply isnt time to get Slaughter (or Aguilar) to that level. Baka by 2016, siguro, but not likely by 2012.-I still believe that in due time these 2 could hold a candle to Yao and Yi. Of course, I wasn't thinking of our naturalized player when I said this.

However, at 6'9", and athleticism to boot, Aguilar can dominate the SF position today. Simply putting it, mas angat ang laro ni Aguilar (sa SF position) contra sa Asian powerhouses. (Should I dare say it?) baka nga, even enough to be noticed by the Euroleague. Again, I think the only thing missing from Aguilar's game to do this is consistency in his mid-range and long-range jump shots. Di na bale ung 3-points, sila Lassiter, Casio, Barcael at Tiu na bahala dun; meaning, we have an abundance of guards to get the job done.-Aguilar could give problems to other small forwards since he is, after all, a tall small forward.

As for Greg Slaughter, again palagay ko mas madami pang exposure ang kailangan nya. Definitely good enough today as a reliever, that's for sure, but not enough to be the mainstay center, at least not until the next 2 or 3 years.-I didn't give a timeline when but with Toroman's guidance, he could equal and perhaps even surpass Haddadi.

Which means in my mind, sino ang magiging mainstay PF? Al-Husseini, Ballesteros?

C - (unnamed 7-foot import)-assuming 7-feet

PF - Greg Slaughter-7 feet

SF - Japeth Aguilar-6'9

SG - Kelly Williams-6'6

PG - Marcio Lassiter-I assume he's at least a 6-footer.

Actually, with this line-up, pang NBA and height so definitely hindi tayo dehado sa size

Maski saan mong league dalhin ang line-up na iyan, hindi tayo na tayo dehado sa size! he he he

I'm sticking to my guns: I think it would be to SG's advantage if Aguilar is developed in the SF position.

Within the foreseeable future, best to have a naturalized import deal with Haddadi and Yao (and Yi) in the center spot. There simply isnt time to get Slaughter (or Aguilar) to that level. Baka by 2016, siguro, but not likely by 2012.

However, at 6'9", and athleticism to boot, Aguilar can dominate the SF position today. Simply putting it, mas angat ang laro ni Aguilar (sa SF position) contra sa Asian powerhouses. (Should I dare say it?) baka nga, even enough to be noticed by the Euroleague. Again, I think the only thing missing from Aguilar's game to do this is consistency in his mid-range and long-range jump shots. Di na bale ung 3-points, sila Lassiter, Casio, Barcael at Tiu na bahala dun; meaning, we have an abundance of guards to get the job done.

As for Greg Slaughter, again palagay ko mas madami pang exposure ang kailangan nya. Definitely good enough today as a reliever, that's for sure, but not enough to be the mainstay center, at least not until the next 2 or 3 years.

C - (unnamed 7-foot import)

PF - Greg Slaughter

SF - Japeth Aguilar

SG - Kelly Williams

PG - Marcio Lassiter

Aguilar playing the SF position ...quite a BOLD vision.

Yes the triple tower combination may look good on paper but may cause defensive match-up problems for us too. Looking into the Asian level, the prototype SF for the powerhouse teams like China, Korea, Iran, Lebanon and Japan are probably at least 6'7-6'9", quick and has a good shooting range at least from the perimeter and possibly the 3 pt area. Defensively playing the ZONE on a slow break, this triple tower frontcourt line-up may be tough to penetrate. But the problem lies on how quick Aguilar is to defend man to man. DO you think he has the foot speed/agility for a true SF? For example, just look at the possible match-up of Kelly W and Aguilar in the SF position. Can Japeth dominate Williams defensively moreso offensively?

Aguilar can play the SF but also the PF position depending on the match-up. Williams if he is drafted and allowed to play should be a good candidate for the starting SF position.

At the end of the day, this is a team game. The Aguilars or the Slaughters may not necessary need to held their own or dominate aginst the YAOs or the YIs. Kahit dehado tayo sa galing man for man but as long as each team member plays thier assigned roles and help each other out may laban tayo. As to how far this will take us ... That is DESTINY!!!