Team Pilipinas Basketball

rakizta

Guest hastati

Just wondering Hastati why you're blindly optimistic on Gilas now when before you said they don't even have a chance and insist on Powerade?-Show me the post wherein I said SG didn't stand a chance against Powerade. Pakita mo ha kasi puro ka hirit wala ka naman evidence. Tama nga yung isa mong alternick na liar. :lol:

As for me, I do support this team from the start. Let me again remind you let you forget whom you had a exchange of opinion as whom to send to the Asiad then ... I said Gilas you said Powerade. I am not doubting,just being realistic in my assessment on this team.-Get over it. That was months ago and you can't get over my preference at the time. Move on liar/peithe/celts/lakerbandwagoner.

Yes Gilas has good shooters, but are they as good a Caidic? Don't think so. Yes Coach Rajo can get these guys into shape come Asiad I don't doubt that. But the coach can only do so much. In the end the players go to battle. If they are not at par talent-skill-wise (when in fact Coach Rajo already said so in terms of our Bigs) no way we'd win even if Coach K will be coaching this team in the Asiad.-So now enlighten me, how could Caidic be better than these guys. Tell me what Caidic has that these guys don't. I'm sure Toroman has a reason why he chose Tiu, Casio, Barroca and Baracael. I'm guessing hindi mo masagot mga tanong ko kasi hindi mo alam sagot. Diba bandwagoner. :lol: P-coach K coak K ka pa. Are you sure without a shadow of a doubt that we won't win if Coach K would coach SG?

I guess I don't need to show proof as you admit to being a turncoat "That was months ago and you can't get over my preference at the time". So why still argue?

So tell me the reason why from being a hardcore Powerade supporter you now become a blinded Gilas diehard fanatic. I still recall that this happened when Gilas gave your preferred team a tough beating :lol: Bandwagoning ... I guess <_< or atoning for your previous mistakes.

As to CAIDIC just some highlights: http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Allan_Caidic

A left-hander, he is often called the "Triggerman" because of his ability to make outside shots despite being heavily guarded. He is a player who could slay teams with a single flick of his left wrist and brought headaches and heartaches to the opposition.

He is considered by many to be the greatest outside shooter the country has ever produced, thus, earning the moniker the "Triggerman" . The vaunted Chinese national basketball team recognized his ability by always reminding their players to be on the lookout for "Philippine No. 8", referring to Caidic's regular jersey number while playing for the National Team.

Now, I think its your turn to show me if the guys on this Gilas team you mentioned are as good and has ever come close to at least being tagged as the heir apparent to the Triggerman

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

I guess I don't need to show proof as you admit to being a turncoat "That was months ago and you can't get over my preference at the time". So why still argue?-Months ago yun. You're the one who keeps bringing up my preference as to what team should be brought to international competitions. That was months ago.

So tell me the reason why from being a hardcore Powerade supporter you now become a blinded Gilas diehard fanatic. I still recall that this happened when Gilas gave your preferred team a tough beating :lol: Bandwagoning ... -Coz I saw how they played. Plain and simple. The reason why you chose SG over Powerade at the time is just so you can argue against me without even watching a game of SG. As for bandwagoning, that's something you're excellent at. Posting with impunity only when the Lakers became champions.

As to CAIDIC just some highlights: http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Allan_Caidic

A left-hander, he is often called the "Triggerman" because of his ability to make outside shots despite being heavily guarded. He is a player who could slay teams with a single flick of his left wrist and brought headaches and heartaches to the opposition. -If that were so, why wasn't Caidic able to help the 1994 team to a medal? In 1998, he wasn't really a factor for the Centennial team. In 1990, he went ice-cold against China in the gold medal game.

He is considered by many to be the greatest outside shooter the country has ever produced, thus, earning the moniker the "Triggerman" . The vaunted Chinese national basketball team recognized his ability by always reminding their players to be on the lookout for "Philippine No. 8", referring to Caidic's regular jersey number while playing for the National Team.-Echoing dencio's post? :lol: As for being the greatest RP outside shooter, it is arguable. I can put Seigle, Yap, Ritualo, Miller, Cardona with him on that list. Sama mo na si Arnaiz, Atoy Co, Al Solis, at yung Loyzaga brothers.

Now, I think its your turn to show me if the guys on this Gilas team you mentioned are as good and has ever come close to at least being tagged as the heir apparent to the Triggerman-Ask Toroman why he chose Barroca, Tiu, Casio, and Baracael. I'm sure he has good reason in choosing these players. Hindi mo pa nasasagot mga tanong ko. Yung game against Lebanon in the recent Jones Cup, SG led by as much as 15 points in the third quarter coz of the outside sniping of the four guys I mentioned. This is an indication that those four can be zone-breakers in the Asiad. Masyado kang bilib kay Caidic but hey I understand since you have a myopic way of looking at things. :lol:

siguro nga, for all the limitations physically ng ating smart gilas team, best to remember that they're OUR team and that their limitations don't extend mentally and spiritually, kahit siguro ma-bugbog sarado sila ng ibang teams (although i'm hoping it doesn't happen, pero if we're pinning our hopes on japeth being our big, ay naku yari tayo hehehe) they'll still play their hearts out.

toroman may be a good coach, but in the end it's still a players' game, it starts and ends with the players, their physical assets/limitations and athleticism, add in talent and basketball skills na rin. no amount of zone defense, mantoman defense, and/or offensive alignments will hide the limitations of our bigs.

pero would it help to get players from the pba, 3-5 players, would they be able to mesh them with the existing SG team with the clock ticking to the games? yun ang problem kasi, we don't have 2 years eh, we only have a few months to whip them into shape then yun na.

ayayay

Why highlight Caidic's supposed failure to lead the team to a medal finish while totally ignoring his achievements? How many medals did Caidic had in his career? Has any of these guy achieved anything comparable to what Caidic did achieve at this stage of their careers? These SG shooters you mentioned have not even won the regular season UAAP MVP a feat Caidic did thrice playing for UE. He was a 1990 Asian Games All Star Mythical 5 Selection despite as what you said that he went cold against China. Also, even as you said he did not help RP win a medal in 1994, still he was still part of the 1994 Asian Games All Star Mythical 5 Selection. 1998? for Chrsit sake the guy was 35 years old and should not have been playing for the flag if only we had someone to replace him it the line-up that year. Being part of the Centennial Team at that age only shows how valuable he is to RP basketball's cause due to lacking of an able replacement.

Now why tell me to ask Coach Rajo why he pick these current crop of Gilas shooters? Isn't it obvious that these are the best we have right now for their positions? Therefore these are the guys that need to play thier part, the role that Caidic played for our previous RP team. It's not a question of should these be guys be part of the RP team, it's just that I believe that in both their prime, caidic is hands down the more dealier shooter among the group.

You have named lots of players that you said can give Caidic a run for his money ... well show me the facts/their achievements in international tournaments. Most if not all the names you mentioned have represented the country in the Asian Games. Has anyone been cited or given the personal recognition as what Caidic has accomplish twice in his career? None!!!

As to the game against Lebanon, assuming you are right in saying that our SG can be zone breakers, then why did we lose despite leading? As Coach Rajo said "we are weak in the 4/5". So it goes back to your question why Caidic was not able to help RP win a medal in 1994. Coz basketball is not a one man game. Caidic could have done his role and gave the team the outside firepower but our big men could not hold its own against the opponent. Isn't it the same scenario with the Gilas team now? Don't we have problems against Big teams like Iran, China and Lebanon? As to fast teams like Japan, we still lost given that as you claim we have the shooting, speed and height. We barely escape over Taiwan.

As such am not too confident with the claim that this team is top 3 material for the upcoming Asiad. Maybe in the future. Nevertheless I totally support this team WIN or LOSE. In fact I'd rather give the slot reserved for Williams to a budding big man for exposure now and reap the fruits of that in the future. At the end of the day if qualifying in the 2012 Olympics is our goal, then its the 2011 FIBA ASIA tournament that matters most.

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

Why highlight Caidic's supposed failure to lead the team to a medal finish while totally ignoring his achievements?-Hindi na ba lalabas yung isa mong alternick na liar? :lol: Aren't we talking about how Caidic is that good and how he fared in international competition? May nagawa ba si Caidic when we got bamboozled by China 2 times? How many medals did Caidic had in his career?-Beats me. Research on it. Has any of these guy achieved anything comparable to what Caidic did achieve at this stage of their careers?-What's your point? Yung pinaguusapan dito ay kung mas magaling si Caidic sa kina Tiu, Casio, etc. Syempre mas madaming awards si Caidic kasi hindi pa pinapanganak mga ito, pro na si Caidic. Bopols! :lol: These SG shooters you mentioned have not even won the regular season UAAP MVP a feat Caidic did thrice playing for UE.-Ngayon UAAP na tayo, what's your next topic na dapat nag-NBA si Caidic? :lol: He was a 1990 Asian Games All Star Mythical 5 Selection despite as what you said that he went cold against China. Also, even as you said he did not help RP win a medal in 1994, still he was still part of the 1994 Asian Games All Star Mythical 5 Selection. 1998? for Chrsit sake the guy was 35 years old and should not have been playing for the flag if only we had someone to replace him it the line-up that year. Being part of the Centennial Team at that age only shows how valuable he is to RP basketball's cause due to lacking of an able replacement.-Bottomline, may nagawa ba si Caidic sa China nung 1990? Nung 1994? Nung 1998? I'm waiting for an answer.

Now why tell me to ask Coach Rajo why he pick these current crop of Gilas shooters? Isn't it obvious that these are the best we have right now for their positions? Therefore these are the guys that need to play thier part, the role that Caidic played for our previous RP team. It's not a question of should these be guys be part of the RP team, it's just that I believe that in both their prime, caidic is hands down the more dealier shooter among the group.-In their prime? Casio, Tiu, Barroca and Baracael are not even in their prime and you're talking about comparing them to Caidic in their prime. Psychic ka ba? :lol:

You have named lots of players that you said can give Caidic a run for his money ... well show me the facts/their achievements in international tournaments. Most if not all the names you mentioned have represented the country in the Asian Games. Has anyone been cited or given the personal recognition as what Caidic has accomplish twice in his career? None!!!-You can name all of Caidic's achievements pero yung usapan dito ay yung sa national basketball team. May nagawa ba si Caidic nung 1990, 1994 and 1998?

As to the game against Lebanon, assuming you are right in saying that our SG can be zone breakers, then why did we lose despite leading? As Coach Rajo said "we are weak in the 4/5". So it goes back to your question why Caidic was not able to help RP win a medal in 1994. Coz basketball is not a one man game. Caidic could have done his role and gave the team the outside firepower but our big men could not hold its own against the opponent. Isn't it the same scenario with the Gilas team now? Don't we have problems against Big teams like Iran, China and Lebanon? As to fast teams like Japan, we still lost given that as you claim we have the shooting, speed and height. We barely escape over Taiwan.-We lost coz Lebanon decided to go man-to-man coz they had to since the four were shooting the lights out.Stop giving me cliches. If he really was good as you say he was, he should have delivered when the national team needed him most. I think Caidic is a sweet shooter but this is international basketball we're talking about here. In 1998, Marlou Aquino more than held his own against Wang Zhizhi. He shackled Wang Zhizhi. Johnny A also played his heart out. I don't know what happened to Caidic in that game. I expected him to snipe from the outside but he was silent in that game.

As such am not too confident with the claim that this team is top 3 material for the upcoming Asiad. Maybe in the future. Nevertheless I totally support this team WIN or LOSE. In fact I'd rather give the slot reserved for Williams to a budding big man for exposure now and reap the fruits of that in the future. At the end of the day if qualifying in the 2012 Olympics is our goal, then its the 2011 FIBA ASIA tournament that matters most.-As I said, you'll be the first to jump on the bandwagon if SG cracks the top 3. :lol:

Huh? now we're talking about the basketball team? Well in fact this is all about the shooters of the Gilas team.

"I think Caidic is a sweet shooter but this is international basketball we're talking about here" - That is why I showed his international playing credentials ... 2x Asiad Mythical 5 member.

Keep on insisting Caidic did not deliver against China? SO, did your guys delivered against Iran, Lebanon and Japan? As you said nun Zone ok pero nun tinao na olats na that's why we lost agaist Lebanon. And it seems to me that you're saying these guys are better than Caidic. Lebanon pa lang yan and I believe China is seeded higher. What about the Iran and Japan game. Talo pa rin.

1998? Yeah blame a 35 year old guy playing amature ball. As I said he should not have been playing then in international tournaments. At least it shows that even at 35 he still is serviceable.

You've been talking highly of Greg and japeth. So how come these guys did not deliver? It came from Coach Rajo that the reason why we lost is because we're weak in the 4/5.

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

Huh? now we're talking about the basketball team? Well in fact this is all about the shooters of the Gilas team.-Say what? :lol:

"I think Caidic is a sweet shooter but this is international basketball we're talking about here" - That is why I showed his international playing credentials ... 2x Asiad Mythical 5 member.

Keep on insisting Caidic did not deliver against China? SO, did your guys delivered against Iran, Lebanon and Japan? As you said nun Zone ok pero nun tinao na olats na that's why we lost agaist Lebanon. And it seems to me that you're saying these guys are better than Caidic. Lebanon pa lang yan and I believe China is seeded higher. What about the Iran and Japan game. Talo pa rin.-Did I say they were better than Caidic? Show me the post but I know you won't be able to show me the post kasi wala. :lol: I said they're good shooters and I was emphasizing on Caidic's contributions. Masyado kang bilib kay Caidic pero hindi mo pa nasasagot kung ano nagawa nya sa China in 1990, 1994 and 1998. I'm not worried about those teams you mentioned. We lost against Lebanon but I'm contented in the thought that SG can beat them based on the way we played. Take note that Jackson Vroman was in that line-up yet Douthit held his own against him.

1998? Yeah blame a 35 year old guy playing amature ball. As I said he should not have been playing then in international tournaments. At least it shows that even at 35 he still is serviceable.-Tell that to Tim Cone. He shouldn't be playing yet you commend him to high heavens. Ano ba talaga liar? :lol:

You've been talking highly of Greg and japeth. So how come these guys did not deliver? It came from Coach Rajo that the reason why we lost is because we're weak in the 4/5.-This is just a warm-up tournament. Besides, this team has not yet been together for a long time so I suggest give them time but I like what I saw in Slaughter. This is still not the final composition of SG.

At the end of the day despite your accusations that Caidic supposedly did not deliver in the games against China, we did end up getting medals in 1990 and 1994. He also was cited for his individual performance those years. That alone I guess shows his contributions and worth as a player/shooter. These batch of Gilas shooters have not proven anything yet. Thus Caidic is better.

To say that the Jones Cup is just a warm-up tornament is a lame excuse. While it is a warm--up tourney, a championship is at stake and I suppose teams must always play to win. Losing is part of the learning experience but it also tells you where your team is now as well as where the opponent is.

Did you say this team has not been together for quite some time? Well its been over a year and I guess its longer than what Caidic had with his team in the 1990, 94 and 98 editions which were hastily formed with just a couple of months playing together.

Well you can continue to dream on and I'll stick to being realistic. Anyway I guess the best way to setle this is to wait for the Asiad. You're for Gilas landing in the top 3. I said they won't ...wanna have a friendly wager? A real man would take on this challenge without giving any excuses. :lol:

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

At the end of the day despite your accusations that Caidic supposedly did not deliver in the games against China, we did end up getting medals in 1990 and 1994. He also was cited for his individual performance those years. That alone I guess shows his contributions and worth as a player/shooter. These batch of Gilas shooters have not proven anything yet. Thus Caidic is better.-I didn't know we won a medal in the Asiad in basketball in 1994. Check your facts.

To say that the Jones Cup is just a warm-up tornament is a lame excuse. While it is a warm--up tourney, a championship is at stake and I suppose teams must always play to win. Losing is part of the learning experience but it also tells you where your team is now as well as where the opponent is.-Nevertheless, it's a warm-up tournament and it's always been a warm-up tournament for past national teams. It's not as important as the FIBA or the Asiad.

Did you say this team has not been together for quite some time? Well its been over a year and I guess its longer than what Caidic had with his team in the 1990, 94 and 98 editions which were hastily formed with just a couple of months playing together.-So sina Lutz, Douthit, Slaughter over a year din. Ang alam ko bago lang yan sina Lutz, Slaughter and Douthit. 6 months ago lang yan si Slaughter.

Well you can continue to dream on and I'll stick to being realistic. Anyway I guess the best way to setle this is to wait for the Asiad. You're for Gilas landing in the top 3. I said they won't ...wanna have a friendly wager? A real man would take on this challenge without giving any excuses.-Sige, pag nanalo ako, gamitin mong pangalan ay lakerbandwagoner and your alternicks of celts, peithe and liar should be banned by the moderator. :lol: Ano?

Edited by hastati

@ Hastati ... Thanks for pointing that out, I stand corrected should be 1998 not 1994. I now remember that we lost by a heartbreaker last second 3 pointer to Japan ad that was in 1994. But hey the Guy also won won one with NCC.

As to the wager, and what if you lose, meaning not a top 3 finish in the Asiad? are you willing to use this too ... GILASBANDWAGONER with the same conditions to Hastati & Megaladon?

Incidentally, today's headline that fortified my claim that this Gilas team as it is ...aiming for a TOP 3 finish is a stretch.

PBA tackles Gilas bid for Kelly, 2 others

"Smart Gilas, now pressed for time to form a competitive team for the Asiad in November, is hoping to get at least three PBA players to beef up the team aiming to at least make the semifinals in the Guanzhou Games."

Too bad, we're back to our old ways again.

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

@ Hastati ... Thanks for pointing that out, I stand corrected should be 1998 not 1994. I now remember that we lost by a heartbreaker last second 3 pointer to Japan ad that was in 1994. But hey the Guy also won won one with NCC.-Do you remember or did you just research on the net? Not to discredit Caidic but it was Hec Calma and Dennis Still who were the main guys in that win over China.

As to the wager, and what if you lose, meaning not a top 3 finish in the Asiad? are you willing to use this too ... GILASBANDWAGONER with the same conditions to Hastati & Megaladon?-Why would I use gilasbandwagoner? I'm not a bandwagoner like you who only started posting when the Lakers became champions last year. Dami mong alternicks para lang mapansin kita. Officially you have 3 nicks: peithe, celts and liar. :lol: Ano? Tanggal lahat ng nicks mo at wag ka na magpost sa sports section. Game?

Incidentally, today's headline that fortified my claim that this Gilas team as it is ...aiming for a TOP 3 finish is a stretch.-Just coz they want to tap Williams and Reyes doesn't mean Gilas can't crack the top 3.

PBA tackles Gilas bid for Kelly, 2 others

"Smart Gilas, now pressed for time to form a competitive team for the Asiad in November, is hoping to get at least three PBA players to beef up the team aiming to at least make the semifinals in the Guanzhou Games."

Too bad, we're back to our old ways again.-Old ways? SG is just tapping reinforcements and you're saying we're back to our old ways? Hastily forming a team is the old way. This team has been together for quite some time. Think before you post.

"Not to discredit Caidic but it was Hec Calma and Dennis Still who were the main guys in that win over China."

@Not to discredit Caidic? well you've been doing that for so long. Did I say he was the main man? I said he won a medal with the NCC so what's your point? I think whatever logic it is, Caidic is also not the main man in 1998 so why blame him for his non contribution? :lol: BTW, was it Still? Jeff Moore would have the bigger impact on that team. He's the real main man not Still nor Hec. But Hec did a good job quarterbacking our team and Dennis did his part defensively.

"SG is just tapping reinforcements and you're saying we're back to our old ways? Hastily forming a team is the old way. This team has been together for quite some time. Think before you po"

@My meaning of "Old ways" would be the country's basketball officials seeking the assistance of the PBA coz they feel that they could not form a competitive team with a bunch of amatures. Am not referring to the time being together. But if this is where you're looking at then I suppose the 3 reinforement has not been with the team for quite some time right? <_<

What a real gentleman you are, trying to get into a wager when all you ask for is my head but don't dare to offer your side of the bargain. If you feel confident of a top 3 finish, why worry of using GILASBANWAGONER as your alternick considering it won't happen. As I said call ako anything you want so long as it will also apply to you. Too bad as I expected, a gentleman will accept the terms with the shake of a hand. Ladies however will continue to argue :lol:

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

^Did I even say that you said that Caidic was the main man? Show me the post. Bopols! Read my post before commenting. Did you watch that game against China or were you still in diapers? :lol:

Speaking of ladies, it's only you who's been arguing with me but you always can't answer my questions. I'm not a gilasbandwagoner but I do know that you're a Laker bandwagoner. Wala na bang pumapansin sayo sa NBA thread kaya dito ka na sa Gilas thread? :lol:

Edited by hastati

^Did I even say that you said that Caidic was the main man? Show me the post. Bopols! Read my post before commenting. Did you watch that game against China or were you still in diapers? :lol:

Speaking of ladies, it's only you who's been arguing with me but you always can't answer my questions. I'm not a gilasbandwagoner but I do know that you're a Laker bandwagoner. Wala na bang pumapansin sayo sa NBA thread kaya dito ka na sa Gilas thread? :lol:

:ohmy: :wacko: :D B)

Guest hastati

^I take it that you're tongue-tied. In the vernacular barado. As always. :lol: Huwag ka na kasi pumapel sa mga post ko kasi yung end result ay parati kang nawawalan ng sasabihin. :lol:

Anyway, SG has shown that it can play with Lebanon and Iran even if they lost. Jackson Vroman was playing and it's comforting to know that Douthit can play against him and not be overmatched.

:wacko: Just mean that I decided to keep silent for now that to argue with your irrational thoughts and get the ire of the Moderator.

November is not far away by then we would know if indeed Gilas is capable of a top 3 finish or my opinion that this is a stretch.

Edited by CELTS
Guest hastati

:wacko: Just mean that I decided to keep silent for now that to argue with your irrational thoughts and get the ire of the Moderator.

November is not far away by then we would know if indeed Gilas is capable of a top 3 finish or my opinion that this is a stretch.

Irrational? What's so irrational about my posts. Your nick liar really suits you just fine. :lol:

grabe nov is just around the corner. sana matuloy na ang reinforcements from the pba for toroman and they get to play together muna, pero i think the pba players would be better as off-the-bench players, siguro 3 or 4 players lang naman hinihingi ni toroman to backup the bigs di ba?

3 may be a stretch, but i'm sure lahat tayo yun ang pinagdarasal

I think hindi matutuloy itong PBA player inclusive na naman sa national team. Bumababa ang tickets sales sa PBA kapag natatalo ang national team kasi nabubuksan ang mata at pag iisip ng mga fans ng PBA na hindi pala sila gaanong malakas as compared sa foreign competitions.

Further, the Gilas long-timers expressed apprehension as their exposure would surely be decimated. They will be relegated as 2nd to 3rd stringers. They initially believe that the inclusion of Fil-Ams (Lassiter and Lutz)was the last movement on the part of the coaching staff to modify/fine tune the team.Medyo mababa morale ng mga 'originals.' JV Casio expressed his thoughts in tody's sports news.

Tsk Tsk Tsk!!!

Further, the Gilas long-timers expressed apprehension as their exposure would surely be decimated. They will be relegated as 2nd to 3rd stringers. They initially believe that the inclusion of Fil-Ams (Lassiter and Lutz)was the last movement on the part of the coaching staff to modify/fine tune the team.Medyo mababa morale ng mga 'originals.' JV Casio expressed his thoughts in tody's sports news.

Tsk Tsk Tsk!!!

They have a valid reason to feel bad ... these kids, most if not all of them decided to skip turning pro for the chance to play for flag and country. They have sacrifice a lot and at the last minute, their slot would just be taken away by someone who have not even played with the team for at least 6 months. That's UNFAIR ...

Moving forward, kung balak lang din naman din ng Gilas Management na humugot ng PBA players, why not create a pool of say 15-24 players that is open not only to amatures but players from the PBA as well. Let these PBA players appeal to their mother clubs to allow them to play for the Flag if they so desire and they should at least attend 2 practice session of the Gilas team on a weekly basis.

as expected smart gilas is working against time and talent.... they are looking to recruit PBA players to beef up their campaign for the ASIAN GAMES.... WE nid a longer program and not the band aid solution to our woes.... it will take us more than a decade to come up with filipino players who are tall enought to compete at the ASIAN LEVEL