Current Events Tidbits Et Al

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this news report.

Admins, please move or delete if wrong forum.

Men face higher risk of cancers linked to oral sex
Jean-Louis Santini, Agence France-Presse
Posted at 02/15/16 6:30 PM
Men are twice as likely as women to get cancer of the mouth and throat linked to the human papillomavirus, or HPV, one of the most common sexually transmitted infections, researchers say.

For men, the risk of HPV-driven cancers of the head and neck rise along with the number of oral sex partners, researchers said Friday at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting in the US capital.

Nearly two out of three of these oral cancers in the United States and most western nations are caused by infection with the HPV 16 strain of the virus, and incidence of cancer is on the rise in recent years, said Gypsyamber D'Souza, who teaches epidemiology at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland.

Middle aged white men are at particularly high risk compared to other races.

She said her research shows that youths are engaging in oral sex at increasingly young ages, compared to past generations.

"Our research shows that for men, the number of oral sex partners -- as that number increases, the risk of an oral HPV infection increases," she told reporters.

But with women, the number of sexual partners does not appear to raise the risk.

"Comparing men and women with the same number of sexual partners, a man is much more likely to become infected with oral HPV than a woman."

Furthermore, women who have a greater number of vaginal sex partners appear to face a lower risk of oral HPV infection, she said.

The reason may be that when women are first exposed to HPV vaginally, they mount an immune response that prevents them from getting an oral HPV infection, she said.

But men do not seem to have equally robust immune responses.

"Men are not only more likely to be infected with oral HPV infection than women, but our research shows that once you become infected, men are less likely to clear this infection than women, further contributing for the cancer risk."

HPV infection is quite common, and most people clear the virus within a year or two, she said.

In some cases, however, HPV does not go away and can lead to cellular changes in the mouth and throat, which eventually become cancerous.

Oral sex may raise the risk of head and neck cancer by 22 percent, according to a study published January in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

This type of cancer has risen 225 percent in the last two decades.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) urges HPV vaccination for all pre-teen boys and girls so they can be protected against the infection before they become sexually active.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/lifestyle/02/15/16/men-face-higher-risk-of-cancers-linked-to-oral-sex

langhya trending na naman si manny sa lgbt community. :D

Kung tutuusin, karapatan naman ni Manny di sumangayon sa same-sex marriage, but the way he said it was just unstatesman like and he sounds like one of them Christard douchebags who use the bible like a press kit to cop out on anything. Prudence is a Christian virtue.

Ako din, hindi ako sumusuporta sa same sex marriage, but there is a proper way of expressing disapproval considering gusto maging senador....

Well lets just be hopeful that this will indeed ruin his candidacy.

Mahalaga talaga na pinag-iisipan muna ang sasabihin lalo na sa katulad nya na may sensitibong katungkulan hindi lang sa pamahalaan kundi iniidolo rin sya ng mga mamamayan natin (di nga ba siya ang pambansang kamao natin?). At heto pa, tatakbo rin siya bilang isang senador, malamang kaysa sa hindi, nanganganib ang boto nya dito. At itong huli, ang kompanya sa likod ng kilalang produktong Nike na siya ang taga pag-indorso ay pinutol na ang kontrata nila kay Manny Pacqiao dahil lang dun sa “pagkakamali” niya.

Siya (MP) na isang konserbatibong kristiyano ay tila nalilihis sa prinsipyong tagapag taguyod ng kabutihang asal. Oo nga may sarili siyang paniniwala at paninindigan dahil iyon ay naayon sa Bibliya. At dahil sa naturang paninindigan na tila iyon na rin ang naging basehan niya para makapag bitiw ng ganung opinyon ( same-sex relationships are worse than animals) may isang komunidad na lubhang naapektuhan sa naturang diskriminasyon at iyon ay walang iba kundi ang LGBT.

Wala naman akong masamang tinapay kay MP. Katunayan, katulad din ako ng karamihan, idolo siya dahil siya ang pambansang kamao natin. Iyon nga lang, magiging katulad na rin ako ng iilan (kundi ng karamihan), nabawasan ang respeto sa kanya. Ang Santo Papa nga na nasa poder ay sinabi rin na “Sino ba ako para manghusga” at ito ay binigyan ng pagpapahalaga ng mga LGBT Catholics.

Dahil lamang sa hindi pinag-isipang pananalita (oo, tingin ko namali lang sya ng interpretasyon kaya di niya napag-isipang mabuti kung ano yung magiging bwelta sa kanya sa sasabihin niya) nanganganib ang reputasyon ni MP. Sa kabila kasi ng pag hingi niya ng tawad sa publiko at pag papasubali na wala siyang intensyon alipustahin ang komunidad ng LGBT nakatanim na isipan ng bawat naapektuhan sa nasabi niya. Ang aral dito, hindi porke nagbabasa ka na ng bibliya, alam mo na ang literal na kahulugan ng bawat salita ng skriptura.

Ang aral dito, hindi porke nagbabasa ka na ng bibliya, alam mo na ang literal na kahulugan ng bawat salita ng skriptura.

Leviticus 20:13:

"...If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads..." (New International Version)

"...If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense..." (New Living Translation)

Is there any other literal meaning to this passage?

eh nung umpisa pa man ay "the mouth is faster than the brain"....kaya lang maraming pera talaga....isipin na lang

kung gaano karaming boto ang pwedeng bilhin sa bente isa?????

possible nga maging presidente sa 2022 kung mananalo now....kung bente bente lang ang labanan......yung peso80 ay itatago nung running presidente now.....

galing kaya nun sa math.....

Edited by ilukaok

"...If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads..." (New International Version)

"...If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense..." (New Living Translation)

It was asserted in broad sense. :rolleyes:

And thank you for putting those verses here.

No wonder why MP is in big trouble now. He puts every verse literally (in his mind).

And he thinks that what he has learned from the holy scriptures, he has already the license to discriminate anyone or any group in the community.

It was asserted in broad sense. :rolleyes:

And thank you for putting those verses here.

No wonder why MP is in big trouble now. He puts every verse literally (in his mind).

And he thinks that what he has learned from the holy scriptures, he has already the license to discriminate anyone or any group in the community.

I can't see how anybody can claim that the passage is stated in a broad sense.

It is very specific: Having sex with a man as he would with a woman is an abomination.

I cannot make any other interpretation on it other than its literal meaning.

In fairness to Manny Pacquiao, he was just stating a fact. But he did not choose his words carefully. He spoke against people who are very defensive about their sexual practices. It shows that as a politician, he is an amateur.

Now he has to apologize to a pseudo-intellectuals like Boy Abunda and Vice Ganda who have enough air-time in ABS-CBN to cut his popularity down to size.

Edited by camiar

I can't see how anybody can claim that the passage is stated in a broad sense.

Oh. Well. We can't talk different things here in the same breath. They're like apple and oranges. You were talking about your passages and I was referring to the moral lesson of my previous post, thus, my reply "it was uttered in broad sense". This alone gives me an idea how this discussion will head to no where.

I've already given my own perspective based on my original post. And if you think that your "bet" MP (UNA's senatoriable bet) has made the right move to regain his reputation, so be it.

Oh. Well. We can't talk different things here in the same breath. They're like apple and oranges. You were talking about your passages and I was referring to the moral lesson of my previous post, thus, my reply "it was uttered in broad sense". This alone gives me an idea how this discussion will head to no where.

I've already given my own perspective based on my original post. And if you think that your "bet" MP (UNA's senatoriable bet) has made the right move to regain his reputation, so be it.

He's not my bet.

I respect his opinion. But I have a different view on how he should have presented his stand on LGBTs.

He appeared self righteous, but so, too, were most of those LGBTs who responded.

Ang interpretation ng bible nilalagay yan sa tamang context. Hindi rin yan laging literal. So dudukutin mo nga naman talaga ba dapat ang mata mo kung nagkakasala ka? Puputulin mo ba kamay mo?

Old testament yang passage na yan, marami na ang nabago since the new testament. Any idiot can memorize bible verses but only an intelligent christian who understands prudence can quote it without offending anyone or being a bigot. Pope Francis does not support same sex union, but niether does he call them "masahol pa sa hayop". In fact he shows them love and respect.

Yan talaga problema kay Manny, he did not choose his words carefully.

He's not my bet.

I respect his opinion. But I have a different view on how he should have presented his stand on LGBTs.

He appeared self righteous, but so, too, were most of those LGBTs who responded.

Ako I actually do not support same sex marriage, but he is just an idiot for not being able to carefully choose his words. Talk about backfire.

Self righteous talaga! Sya nga itong ilang beses kinaliwa asawa at nagkaroon pa ng anak sa labas

Edited by Edmund Dantes

In fairness to MP, I also do not like how some of the LGBT had reacted on the situation (an “OA”ness at its best). They’re also nothing but sanctimonious hypocrites who judged a person without acknowledging their own sins.

Bigotry begets bigotry

For once, let’s define the term bigotry as an intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

So based on that, both MP and his bashers (especially some of the LGBT ones) are guilty for that matter.

And I believe that what Manny had been said was based on opinion and if anyone who couldn’t handle other’s opinion should also be called (small-minded) bigots. .

But then again, MP is the triggering factor here. Who could you blame then? The MP himself or his bashers? Or was it the media?

In fairness to MP, I also do not like how some of the LGBT had reacted on the situation (an “OA”ness at its best). They’re also nothing but sanctimonious hypocrites who judged a person without acknowledging their own sins.

Bigotry begets bigotry

For once, let’s define the term bigotry as an intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

So based on that, both MP and his bashers (especially some of the LGBT ones) are guilty for that matter.

And I believe that what Manny had been said was based on opinion and if anyone who couldn’t handle other’s opinion should also be called (small-minded) bigots. .

But then again, MP is the triggering factor here. Who could you blame then? The MP himself or his bashers? Or was it the media?

Yes to his Credit, nagsorry na naman sya for using the phrase "masahol pa sa hayop". Hindi naman talaga issue yun stand nya on same sex marriage. He is entitled to that. Pero ang masama kasi nilabel nya as hayop ang mga nasa LGBT which made him a douchebag. Choose words kasi carefully dapat. And even in the Christian teachings, prudence is encouraged. Si Pope Francis alam natin na tutol yan sa same sex marriage. Pero sabi nya, "If a person is gay, but seeks the lord and is good-willed, then who am I to judge?". Ganyan dapat.

Although, that being said, I dont think there is further reason to keep crucifying Manny. He recieved backlash, lost major endorsement deals (which he respected). Hopefully he learns to be more selective of the things he says since nung 2012 dati na sya sumabit sa parehong issue. But yeah we all need to just forgive him and move on.