Current Events Tidbits Et Al

what do you think dun sa excise tax sa mga kotse? para kasing tatamaan yung mga better brands at mamamayagpag yung mga chinese cars...

Regarless of brand tatamaan naman lahat depende lang sa kasalukuyang presyo ang impact na idadagdag ng tax.

Pero sa akin ano ba talaga primary purpose ng pagpataw ng excise tax sa sadakyan? Is it to curve the growing number of vehicles? Is it simply to raise funding for the expected increase in gov't expenditures?

For me kung solusyon sa trapiko ang pangunahing batayan well i don't agree with the strategy. Right now having a car has became a necessity than a luxury bec of the state of our mass transport system. isipin mo na lang sa ibang bansa mga naka amerikana nag mtr/mrt or bus lang to go to work. It is very convenient and quite comfortable something na di mo masasabi dito. Sa atin kasi kahit naka barong ka nga lang eh basang sisiw ka na pagbaba mo ng bus or mrt/lrt. So gusgusin ka nang tingnan kapapasok mo pa lang sa office. Siksikan at pahirapan pang sumakay. Stress na sa office stress pa sa pag commute. Thus pinagiipunan talaga ang magkakotse kahit pang down lang at kakayanin sa hulugan yun balanse.

Remember may panukala din na ibaba ang income tax. So tataas din disposable income ng tao thus most likely the same people can still afford to buy new cars despite the fact car prices will go up fue to the excise tax.

I think mas mabuting ayusin muna ang mass transport system and road infratructure. Once ok na then start implementing more drastic measures to limit the number of cars on the streets.

Beijing pledges $124B for modern ‘Silk Road’

BEIJING -- Chinese President Xi Jinping pledged $124 billion on Sunday for his ambitious new Silk Road plan to forge a path of peace, inclusiveness and free trade, and called for the abandonment of old models based on rivalry and diplomatic power games.

China's strength is its multi-trillion-dollar reserves. A lot of money that the US and Western Europe cannot match. It will expand its influence though promises of prosperity through mutual cooperation, at least until it is strong enough militarily to force its way through.

Edited by camiar
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's really not... But if you insist then Prove it

Trolling for a fight?

Am I insisting? I was just asking.The tell tale signs of cyber hacking are there. But proving it to you would be like explaining the process of isentropic expansion of superheated steam to a three year old.

Actually I find nothing wrong about admitting it if it's really cyber hacking. It is part of cyber security problems we have to live with nowadays.

• Like (+1) 1

Trolling for a fight?

Am I insisting? I was just asking.The tell tale signs of cyber hacking are there. But proving it to you would be like explaining the process of isentropic expansion of superheated steam to a three year old.

Actually I find nothing wrong about admitting it if it's really cyber hacking. It is part of cyber security problems we have to live with nowadays.

Nope not interested to fight...but to clarify as well as make a point.

I see .. just asking

And what do you think of this " deja vu?" post Isn't it asking as well. But you seconded the call to prove it?

Trying to make it sound complicated huh...just to get away from explaning/proving it?

As i've said malay mo nanan di talaga na hack so ano ang aaminin.

Thanks..that's all

Obviously, to protect their business. :rolleyes:

If it were an internal system glitch, BPI clients who suffered can claim damages from the bank for the mismanagement of their system.

If it were a cyber attack, they have a reason to claim force majeur.

Still that is speculating unless one can prove it to refute the official advisory from the bank.

Yes, of course! The bank is secure. Nothing to worry about. You may bury your head in the sand and pretend everything is hunkydory.

But for myself, I will transfer some of my money from BPI to my other accounts. I'm spreading the risk just in case. I'll also keep enough cash at home to tide me over for a least a week just in case suddenly I can't use my ATM cards.

Yes, of course! The bank is secure. Nothing to worry about. You may bury your head in the sand and pretend everything is hunkydory.

But for myself, I will transfer some of my money from BPI to my other accounts. I'm spreading the risk just in case. I'll also keep enough cash at home to tide me over for a least a week just in case suddenly I can't use my ATM cards.

Huh? What "the bank is secure" s@%t are you talking about? Did anyone say that?

In terms of risk perspective even if this didn't happen your money is never fully secured with any banks because of various risk factors like systems risk and the primary of which imho is credit risk. Kaya nga nandiyan ang pdic kung saan it guarantees your money with the bank up to a certain limit for deposits.

Also for the financially well educated person, he knows that one needs to spread his risk by not putting all his egg in one basket. Now it all depends with your risk appetite/comfort level on how much you intend to place with each bank and the type of asset class as well.

Well your action is the main reason why even if your speculation is true banks will have second thoughts about disclosing the real thing to the public. Do you think they would be happy to admit it at the risk massive pullouts by bank clients? Would they want to risk a bankrun happening?

As i said you can speculate and insist that this was a real hacking incident, that is your prerogative but the real question is are you able to prove it???

At the end of the day there is nothing is wrong with what you intend to do and you should have done that even if this incident didn't happened. In fact bakit di mo pa i-pull out ang lahat ng pera mo at magiiwan ka pa kung hindi ka kumportable sa kanila dahil sa nangyaring insidente?

Huh? What "the bank is secure" s@%t are you talking about? Did anyone say that?

In terms of risk perspective even if this didn't happen your money is never fully secured with any banks because of various risk factors like systems risk and the primary of which imho is credit risk. Kaya nga nandiyan ang pdic kung saan it guarantees your money with the bank up to a certain limit for deposits.

Also for the financially well educated person, he knows that one needs to spread his risk by not putting all his egg in one basket. Now it all depends with your risk appetite/comfort level on how much you intend to place with each bank and the type of asset class as well.

Well your action is the main reason why even if your speculation is true banks will have second thoughts about disclosing the real thing to the public. Do you think they would be happy to admit it at the risk massive pullouts by bank clients? Would they want to risk a bankrun happening?

As i said you can speculate and insist that this was a real hacking incident, that is your prerogative but the real question is are you able to prove it???

At the end of the day there is nothing is wrong with what you intend to do and you should have done that even if this incident didn't happened. In fact bakit di mo pa i-pull out ang lahat ng pera mo at magiiwan ka pa kung hindi ka kumportable sa kanila dahil sa nangyaring insidente?

You can't even tell sarcasm when you read one.

PDIC? For PhP500 K maximum coverage? Feeling secure ka na dun? Ahhh, OK.... I understand.

All banks are at risk. What I wanted to know is how prepared are they to handle cyber attacks, or even a major disaster like an Intensity 9 earthquake from the Marikina Valley Fault.

BPI seems to have shown that they can recover from an attack within 48 hours. That's fine. I'm sure they'll do better next time.

But instead of denying that there was an attack, I would feel more secure if they admitted it and explained how resilient their cyber security system and how effective their disaster recovery plans are.

But instead of denying that there was an attack, I would feel more secure if they admitted it and explained how resilient their cyber security system and how effective their disaster recovery plans are.

Bottomline can you prove ba na this was an attack? Well maybe your expertise makes you know better than the ordinary Juan.

But if you are merely speculating ... Well i think it's also fair to give the bank the benefit of the doubt.

For the meantime you can do whatever you want on your deposit with them. Sabi ko nga why not just pull everything out. I'm pretty sure that bank would not want that to happen but honestly it won't really matter to them losing a few insubstantial business.

You can't even tell sarcasm when you read one.

PDIC? For PhP500 K maximum coverage? Feeling secure ka na dun? Ahhh, OK.... I understand.

All banks are at risk. What I wanted to know is how prepared are they to handle cyber attacks, or even a major disaster like an Intensity 9 earthquake from the Marikina Valley Fault.

BPI seems to have shown that they can recover from an attack within 48 hours. That's fine. I'm sure they'll do better next time.

Cyber attack is easier if you are part of the I.T. team before. Alam mo yung mga security measures na ginawa. If there is one I don't think they would say it in public because it will only cause panic to other depositors. May kakalat pang balita pa na ISIS ang gumawa niyan. I know BPI is one of the banks na invested sa I.T, systems including DR. BDO and EastWest mas mahina alam ko.

I don't think na nagkaroon ng bug yung system kasi magkakamali lang yan kung may major update pero wala naman sinabing ganun. Plus an update should be done and tested sa Dev and QAS servers nila before transferring it to the live server kaya malabo mangyari yung bug.

Bottomline can you prove ba na this was an attack? Well maybe your expertise makes you know better than the ordinary Juan.

But if you are merely speculating ... Well i think it's also fair to give the bank the benefit of the doubt.

For the meantime you can do whatever you want on your deposit with them. Sabi ko nga why not just pull everything out. I'm pretty sure that bank would not want that to happen but honestly it won't really matter to them losing a few insubstantial business.

Which part of spreading the risk did you fail to understand?

Cyber attack is easier if you are part of the I.T. team before. Alam mo yung mga security measures na ginawa. If there is one I don't think they would say it in public because it will only cause panic to other depositors. May kakalat pang balita pa na ISIS ang gumawa niyan. I know BPI is one of the banks na invested sa I.T, systems including DR. BDO and EastWest mas mahina alam ko.

I don't think na nagkaroon ng bug yung system kasi magkakamali lang yan kung may major update pero wala naman sinabing ganun. Plus an update should be done and tested sa Dev and QAS servers nila before transferring it to the live server kaya malabo mangyari yung bug.

I agree, malabo na nagkaroon lang ng bug ang system. Denying the event as a possible cyber attack is counter-productive.

When the Federal Reserve Bank was cyber-attacked as part of Bangladesh Bank Heist, they did not deny the incident. They admitted that 30 transaction attempts were blocked but 5 transactions went through to Sri Lanka and the Philippines' RCBC.

RCBC did not deny the attack either. The RCBC's board committee launched their own separate probe into the bank's involvement in the money laundering scam. RCBC president resigned, despite being cleared of any wrongdoing by the bank's internal investigation, to "take full moral responsibility" for the incident. The bank also apologized to the public for its involvement in the robbery. The BSP fined RCBC one billion pesos, the largest monetary fine it ever imposed.

Investigators suspect that North Korea orchestrated the cyber attack with the help of some Chinese middlemen.

No denials, no whitewash. I don't think it caused any loss of confidence in the banking system. Telling the truth is the best way to maintain client's trust. You just have to handle it very carefully and focus on the strength and integrity of the system.

Edited by camiar
  • 2 weeks later...

Poll Documents Found in School Garbage Heap

MANILA, Philippines — At least 60 envelopes containing election paraphernalia, including election returns and poll watchers’ identification cards for the Liberal Party (LP), were recovered by garbage collectors near a school in Mandaluyong City Wednesday, police said yesterday.

“We are still in the process of investigating as to why the election documents ended up in the pile of garbage,” Chief Superintendent Romulo Sapitula, Eastern Police District (EPD) director, said as he directed Senior Superintendent Joaquin Alva, city police chief, to coordinate with the Commission on Elections to determine if the documents are authentic.

Sapitula said some of the envelopes contained election returns with the votes for Duterte for president and Bongbong Marcos for vice president.

​source