Mma Vs Boxing

dragonei

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT: im so impressed with how our talented boxers have developed now. Kung napanood nyo yung huling Pinoy Pride sa U.S., grabe gumalaw yung mga boxers natin. Ang babata pa pero ang ganda ng timing nila. Compared to circa the 90's to the early 2000s. They have way better fight IQ now. Mas masasabi kong our style is better than most other countries.

Boxers can transition into MMA because fighters usually have a base or a specialty when they start out. Like Wrestlers, Boxers, Muai Thai, Karate, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and other techniques. If you are a boxer, you can use those boxing skills you have and be a good striker but you have to incorporate the other disciplines to your boxing with wrestling, kickboxing, Jiu jitsu and other things. But the boxer will always have his boxing to fall back on.

But as far as getting big time paydays they need to market themselves and of course win. Mayweather is one of those guys that know how to market himself and get people to watch his fights. People can get annoyed at how he starts talking trash and other things he says about other athletes but i think its all about the marketing, its all hype to me so you can get people to watch.

GSP is another guy that i think knows how to market himself as well as Anderson Silva.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/14793389/nike-ends-endorsement-contract-manny-pacquiao

Nike cuts ties with Manny Pacquiao after derogatory comments

post-481684-0-19467600-1455756274_thumb.jpg

Nike terminated its endorsement contract with Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday after the Filipino boxer made derogatory remarks toward same-sex couples.

"We find Manny Pacquiao's comments abhorrent," the company said in a statement. "Nike strongly opposes discrimination of any kind and has a long history of supporting and standing up for the rights of the LGBT community."

Based on Pacquiao's comments, a spokesman confirmed that he is no longer on the company's endorsement roster.

Pacquiao has endorsed Nike for a little more than eight years.

"Have you seen any animal having male-to-male or female-to-female relations?" Pacquiao said on a Filipino television station earlier this week. "If you have male-to-male or female-to-female [relationships], then people are worse than animals."

Pacquiao apologized on Twitter within hours.

"I'm sorry for hurting people by comparing homosexuals to animals," Pacquiao tweeted. "Please forgive me for those I hurt. God bless!"

In the tweet, Pacquiao had a video message in Filipino wearing a Nike shirt with the special logo the company has for him.

post-481684-0-04870900-1455756285_thumb.jpg

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank, said he understood Nike's decision.

"Nike is in the business of selling its products to as wide of an audience as they can, and Manny's comments were insulting to a lot of people," Arum told ESPN.com.

"His comments were made to a Filipino audience, where same-sex marriage is not as accepted as it is here, and Manny is a convert of enlightened Christianity, which does not believe in same-sex relationships. But to people in the United States, his words can only be viewed as hate speech. If I was running Nike, I would have to make the same decision they did."

Pacquiao was more of a billboard for Nike, which had its swoosh on his shorts for fights and on his shoes, instead of a true revenue stream. Few Pacquiao items reached the market.

His fight against Floyd Mayweather in May 2015 became the richest fight in boxing history, breaking all financial benchmarks for ticket sales, sponsorship and pay-per-view buys.

The 37-year-old's next fight against Timothy Bradley on April 9 is expected to be his last.

Nike has been more active in terminating contracts of late than at any other time in company history. Over the past four years, it has severed deals with cyclist Lance Armstrong, running back Ray Rice, running back Adrian Peterson and sprinter Oscar Pistorius.

- i get why Nike decided to part ways and let Pacquiao go from their endorsement contract. Seeing as this is a Business decision. A company like Nike is very wary of being associated with athletes who touch on sensitive subjects such as Race, Gender, Creed, Religious inequalities etc..e.g. Like what they did with Lance Armstrong when he was banned from Cycling and stripped of his Tour De France championships. They severed any ties linking him to Nike.

The LGBT community buys sports apparel as well. They would be a huge loss for Nike if they stopped buying from them.

The one thing that sports athletes need to be careful of is how they speak their mind regarding these touchy subjects. We live in a world where our words are used against us especially if we get recorded saying them or writing them in public.

One thing's for sure, the next time you see Manny Pacquiao wearing any sports apparel. He won't be wearing the Swoosh logo in any of his shirts, shorts when he's out training, or boxing. Will his other sponsors in the Phiilppines still support him after making these comments towards the gay community? What type of message will these sponsors be giving by supporting him?

Gay people buy stuff too. Is all I'm gonna say.

Edited by hahnz
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...