Who Are Your Favorite Authors? Favorite Books?

B)

Just wondering. read a book on the second generation of the twins you know raistlin and camaron. well could not find a second book

You may have been confused there, Caramon and Raistlin ARE the first generation twins. The second book you're referring to might be Time of The Twins, right?

Teka, don't you hang out at the KAMANAVA thread? Baka neighbors lang tayo, I can loan you the book if you want.

necro, were u able to find my handle here? :)

ideal guy, nice idea, I wish i could borrow ur book about huma, want to read more about him, have u read the 5th age yet?

Since nabanggit na naman Dragon Lance...

Alam nyo ba title ng book tungkol sa mga anak nila? May nakwento sa akin dati na meron daw, but I forgot the details... names ng characters, title ng book etc.

Sorry dude, haven't read any book from the 2nd generation. I just get sentimental about it. Feeling ko kasi, the best of Dragonlance is ended after the 1st generation. I could be wrong, though. :unsure:

why don't you just go to powerbooks... you can have a private reading while having your coffee, pasta or cake...

basically any book from

1. jeffrey archer

2. gabriel garcia marquez

3. robert ludlum

4. hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy (tnx tri)

5. harry potter series

do you guys actually have an EB??? can't we have one??? over coffee... best way to talk about a lot of things..

Hey that's a great idea![/size]

Come on, people, let's organize a book lovers' EB! It will be like a mini gathering of intellectuals who know how to have fun. Hindi puro brainless partying and booze lang, right? I can even show you some books that I'd personally recommend to you. (Side note: has anyone here read any work from Anthony Robbins? Gosh, what a great motivator and life changer!)

I think it'd be great fun! I suggest it be held at a not too noisy and crowded place in QC.

What do you people think? :cool:

bods1000,

una pa kamo kesa powerbooks? i have to check booktopia out. wala ba silang branch, libis is a bit out of the way for me

well-selected ang mga titles nila you can check it out.....no branch, just opened a few months ago....saka they sell these plastic covers sort of laminates for soft-bound and hard-bound books....

With regards to the details of the twins, they are the first generation. Camaron and Raistlin are just the first generation twins. Caramon on the other hand had three children from tika. They are base from the name of the original companions. Out of the three, the youngest survived, which is palin and he became the head of the conclave of the wizard in the end. Palin is a white robe mage, who recieved the staff of maguis from his uncle Raistlin. Palin got married and had a child name ulin who is part of the conclave. During these times, was when magic slowly died and they had to rely on magical artifacts created during the age of dreams, time where huma was around. The 5th age was the time where all magic where depleted and the dragons are the supreme overlord of the land.

Any other questions regarding the 5th age? I have limited info on 5th age, since I read just a couple of them, especially the dawn of the 5th age, where new heroes where called upon.

Among the original heroes left where caramon, tika, goldmoon. Raistlin is rumoured to be alive, when palin took his test to be a full fledge wizard. Raistlin is in the abyss, and he is constantly tortured by takhisis. Kitiarra would be revivied by her faithful blue dragon. I don't know if that happened

over spirits would be ok rin... kaso di ba booklovers tayo.. and coffee goes best with books..

i recently bought a copy of alice in wonderland... leatherette pa yung cover... sobrang luma na.. bought it sa garage sale for P15...

i love old books.

nice find ha!....ako nakabili din ng hardbound books sa Powerbooks for only P99, may sale sila ngayon dun....

Ok, coffee would be fine.....for starters hahaha....

bods1000 Posted on Nov 17 2003, 06:56 PM

QUOTE (lord_rochester @ Nov 16 2003, 12:25 AM)

over spirits would be ok rin... kaso di ba booklovers tayo.. and coffee goes best with books..

i recently bought a copy of alice in wonderland... leatherette pa yung cover... sobrang luma na.. bought it sa garage sale for P15...

i love old books. 

nice find ha!....ako nakabili din ng hardbound books sa Powerbooks for only P99, may sale sila ngayon dun....

pretty nice find nga eh.. really lang ha... hardbound books? authors?

i bought let me see vc andrews sa powerbooks for P25 lang... mga a couple of months ago..

let me see i also got a chaucer the canterbury tales for P20 and john steinbeck's grapes for P20 also... really nice garage sale... it's over na nga lang ngayon...

Any one reads ancient literature here? I read the Iliad and Odyssey every year, I usually start in September and end just before Christmas.

grabe ka pare, I mean every year? what for...pero aminado ako ancient classics, most especially the ones you mentioned really makes for compelling reading....timeless, as they say.....

Mark30 Posted on Nov 17 2003, 11:02 PM

Any one reads ancient literature here? I read the Iliad and Odyssey every year, I usually start in September and end just before Christmas. 

how ancient would you like it??? iliad and the odyssey... i'll read it probably for a couple of days... no sleeping.. no interruptions... just coffee and smokes...

man we better set up an EB!!!!

bods1000 Posted on Nov 17 2003, 06:56 PM

QUOTE (lord_rochester @ Nov 16 2003, 12:25 AM)

i love old books. 

pretty nice find nga eh.. really lang ha... hardbound books? authors?

i bought let me see vc andrews sa powerbooks for P25 lang... mga a couple of months ago..

let me see i also got a chaucer the canterbury tales for P20 and john steinbeck's grapes for P20 also... really nice garage sale... it's over na nga lang ngayon...

well, di ko pansin yung iba basta I'm always looking for travel lit....so nakita ko dun yung Bill Bryson IN A SUNBURNED COUNTRY, about his sojourn in the land Down Under....just about a year ago I saw the same book selling for P500 plus pero dun P99 na lang......sayang dude yung garage sale na sinasabi mo, sana napuntahan yun

bod1000

sayang talaga yung garage sale... nakaka inis nga..it's in QC... napadaan lang ako... at that time i only had around P150 with me... i was with a friend kasi going home na...they had robert ludlum din...other classics... victor hugo... jane austen...alexander dumas

and btw i'm not a dude... girl po ako.

oh and regarding powerbooks...

they seem to be moving sa greenbelt area... from pasay road to greenbelt.. do you know anything about this?

or what powerbooks branch are you referring to? the one in megamall? makati area kasi me eh.

now here's a real kicker... i know this old lady in pasig... she actually owns an original NOLI ME TANGERE... one of the first 2000 copies that Rizal brought from Berlin to the Philippines...

hope that old lady auctions off that book...i would pay anything for that book.

although that book doesn't have the elias and salome chapter... but still it's one of the first 2000 copies... how cool is that...

bod1000

sayang talaga yung garage sale... nakaka inis nga..it's in QC... napadaan lang ako... at that time i only had around P150 with me... i was with a friend kasi going home na...they had robert ludlum din...other classics... victor hugo... jane austen...alexander dumas

and btw i'm not a dude... girl po ako.

oh and regarding powerbooks...

they seem to be moving sa greenbelt area... from pasay road to greenbelt.. do you know anything about this?

or what powerbooks branch are you referring to? the one in megamall? makati area kasi me eh.

now here's a real kicker... i know this old lady in pasig... she actually owns an original NOLI ME TANGERE... one of the first 2000 copies that Rizal brought from Berlin to the Philippines...

hope that old lady auctions off that book...i would pay anything for that book.

although that book doesn't have the elias and salome chapter... but still it's one of the first 2000 copies... how cool is that...

:blush: oh really sorry there...'lord' kasi is your handle...

It's Powerbooks in Mega....that transfer to Greenbelt should be welcome news...ang hirap pumunta kung minsan sa Pasay Road- kung minsan wala pang parking...I'll keep you posted ok? madalas ako sa area na yun...

about garage sales, it would be a good idea if everybody here can tip-off everyone else about such things...ok di ba?

Who's the old lady you say? Laki ako sa Pasig and I know a lot of people there, lalo na yung mga taal na mga taga Pasig :)

lord rochester po kasi is an english writer...

anyways.. good idea nga if we know these garage sales... sobra... people are so stupid most of the time... they don't know that a book is always a good investment... they just throw it away because it's old... they don't really stop and look kung yung book na itatapon may be worth something

do you know bahay na tiza??? the owner of that house owns the noli book... masungit nga lang... pero the trick is to always tell her that she has a lovely house... and constantly have that amazed look in your face na parang pinakamagandang bahay na napuntahan mo yung house niya.

lord rochester po kasi is an english writer...

anyways.. good idea nga if we know these garage sales... sobra... people are so stupid most of the time... they don't know that a book is always a good investment... they just throw it away because it's old... they don't really stop and look kung yung book na itatapon may be worth something

do you know bahay na tiza??? the owner of that house owns the noli book... masungit nga lang... pero the trick is to always tell her that she has a lovely house... and constantly have that amazed look in your face na parang pinakamagandang bahay na napuntahan mo yung house niya.

so you've been there...yeah I remember that bahay na tiza, I just couln't recall who lives there....

well let's be grateful, if not for these clueless people who throw away books, we wouldn't be getting them at such rock-bottom values :)

ancient ?

i used to read greek text literature back in college and write constructive criticism on ancient authors.

sad to say i've lost touch in reading worthy books these past few years. i've still got plenty of autographed first edition copy of local authors unread.

a cup of coffee and a smart girl could lead me back in the literary fold.

shrike Posted on Nov 18 2003, 06:03 PM

(Mark30 @ Nov 17 2003, 11:02 PM)

ancient ?

i used to read greek text literature back in college and write constructive criticism on ancient authors.

sad to say i've lost touch in reading worthy books these past few years. i've still got plenty of autographed first edition copy of local authors unread.

a cup of coffee and a smart girl could lead me back in the literary fold.

greek text lit?? woh... wish i could do that...

hope people here would want to have an EB... i was suggesting one nga eh.. over a cup of coffee of course...

oh sheesh.. forgot to take coffee..just had one cup.. i still need 7 more cups..

greek ? not easy at first but it's worth the effort.

the closest way to get the frame of mind of the author is to interpret the work in its historical context and on its own language. sometimes interpretations can not capture the original intention of the author thus the need to deconstruct the work by its native tonque.

the best thing you can get in joining literary workshops is that you can swim into the author's mind and really be immersed in the world his/her work creates. a good literary piece stands the test of time and context but knowing the original intent of the writer is the key in understanding the piece.

:mtc: