The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Couldn't agree more with you dude.

My fave lien was: Suddenly, I knew what I had to do. Love isn't about ridiculous little words. Love is about grand gestures. Love is about airplanes pulling banners over stadiums, proposals on jumbo-trons, giant words in sky writing. Love is about going that extra mile even if it hurts, letting it all hang out there. Love is about finding courage inside of you that you didn't even know was there.

The acting was really top-notch and the story will resonate to everyone, especially those who had a similar experience of falling in love at a young age...

watched Beowulf in a regular theatre

all I can say is that Beowulf sure loves his name

as a result of that I will now start yelling out my name whenever I do something good whether it be in the office, at home, in the car, e.g.;

- I finish a stack of reports and close an important deal "I AM LARRY!"

- I cook myself a can of SPAM "I AM LARRY!"

- I up my km/liter to about 14 "I AM LARRY!"

Finally got the chance to watch THE KINGDOM last night starring Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper, Jennifer Garner, and Jason Bateman as members of an elite FBI team deployed un-officially in Riyadh, KSA for only 5 days to help investigate a terrorist bombing of a US compound. The team faces the daunting task amidst their compliance to the laws and customs of the host country, but eventually adapts to and gets the confidence of their Saudi counterparts in subduing the terror cell, and in the process, cracking the case. So it seems, because in the ending....the movie-goer becomes the judge.

Great drama and action scenes by director Peter Berg.

4 stars :thumbsupsmiley:

watched The KINGDOM yesterday.

closest to reality that you can get. (having lived at a "western" compound inside one of the biggest military city) - walang binatbat ang glorietta methane and batasan motorcycle blasts.

even the action scenes look so real. (only thing noticed - i dont think they use american weapons. G3 and hkmp5 yes but not armalites.)

:thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by tabouki

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1017/hitman2largews0.jpg

HITMAN

I probably had high expectations for this movie. The premise was simple but interesting: a trained assassin on the loose, serving his own a la carte mix of bullets, explosives and raw fisticuffs. Hey, I noticed at least 98% of the crowd came from the male species. I dunno, it should have been at least a good action movie. I wasn't looking for an Oscar winning performance or a critically acclaimed plot. Just something along the line of Die Hard 4.0 or the Bourne Ultimatum would have been nice...

But it wasn't meant to be. Poor scriptwriting and loose storyline, mixed with a lot of bald guys and, hey, you get the drift. As for the lead character, I guess he tried to but he's clearly not yet ready for this type of role. Many times I wished they cast Vin Diesel or Bruce Dilis and it would have been much, much better.

The movie's only saving grace was the fine showing of Ms. Olga. Smallish and perky, you just gotta see it, i mean her, and enjoy her performance, even for a short while.

Sayang. It's not a movie I can recommend. There's just too many flaws and nothing much to look forward to. And no, Bret Hart isn't in this movie.

Edited by kerrmit

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1855/beowolfposterio6.jpg

BEOWULF

Just a few minutes into the film and I was already horrified. OMG, I must have walked into a Shrek Re-run!!!!

Of course, my fears turned quickly into curiousity and finally into that brooding, pseudo-critical mood of mine. Hey, I already paid my THX dues, might as well enjoy it!

Anyway, the plot was simple and well tied. In th original Beowulf lore, a lot of it is kinda loose and subject to so many different interpretations anyway but this movie was able to put up its own take on Beowulf without taking away the spirit of Beowulf. He was strong, brave, powerful and all that but he came out with his own set of weaknesses that eventually became the central point of the story. That was the part I appreciated the most.

Of course, it didnt hurt that the effects were really stunning. But call me old fashioned, I still would have preferred the old way of doing it: a lot of action scenes with a sprinkling of CG.

Edited by kerrmit

Watched "Hitman" yesterday.

If this film was handled by Luc Besson, it might have been a worth watching. However, it wasn't.

The performances were serious but the script was so stupid it was retarded at best. The female character, in particular, seemed to suffer from the swiftest of mood swings.

The action were not at spectacular. Such a shame this film was made. It was a good concept gone wrong...

If you're in your pre-adolescent stage, you might enjoy this film.

BTW, the boob shots were not cut. Although by the time it happens, you would've stopped caring for this flick...

Edited by clubber_lang

Enchanted.

Yep its me reviewing probably this years biggest walt disney chick flicks. Its a perfect movie to take your girlfriend to.

If you are looking for a movie soaked with estrogen, then this one is definitely a movie for you. Im not saying that a guy could not enjoy the movie (I did enjoy many parts actually), but definitely its not going to be in any guys top 10 movie list like terminator, rambo, or 300.

The story is very simple. What happens when a fairytale princess is sent to the real world where there aren't always happy endings? The story begins with your average storybook romance, about a kingdom far away, about a selfish queen, about a handsome price in his noble steed, and a maiden with a honey coated singing voice that could charm all forest creatures. There is singing and some dancing, the prince meets his fair maiden, and next thing we know they decide to get married first thing in the morning. The evil queen has other plans though, before our fairytale princess could go to her wedding, the old queen/witch pushes her into a well that transports her into another dimension. A place where there are no happy endings. New York City. And so our fairytale princess accidentally lands on the lap of another prince charming of the story, who happens to be a divorce lawyer struggling to race her 6 year old daughter. For some reason this prince charming in the story keeps the lost princes, and the morning later, its catastrophe, catastrophe, and more catastrophe when the original prince from the fairytale land follows her to New York city. All stirred up with the fairytale musical youd expect in snow white. Only the charming forest animals this time that are charmed by the voice of our princess are sewer rats, and pigeons.

Well its a shallow plot, but at least its smart. Its cheesey sometimes but who cares, I am a guy reviewing a chick flick. Well at least its not you average Kim Chiu and Gerard Anderson "Pakilig" flick, or that John Loyd Bea movie, or any other piece of crap filipino romance flicks that are so formulaic, so unoriginal, so inane, that you have actually seen the movie by just watching the trailer. I mean not that enchanted is not predictable or formulaic at some levels, but at least it took a fresh perspective by asking the basic questions of "How could we create an orginal concept about fairytale romance in the real world?" What would happen if snow white got lost in new york city and her prince charming happens to be a single dad who makes a living by settling divorce cases?Or "could it be possible that the damsel in distress at the climax would be the prince charming?" Ergo its a different execution, and it works.

Performances were great too! Amy Adams definitely owns her character to the core. She will make your girlfriend believe in fairytale prince charmings again. Her charisma is so overflowing, that it never gets too dull or too overacting when we watch. She captivates both the people that she meets in the park and the audience that loves to see her do that. She is just full of candy sprinkle that she is just so entertaining to watch even when she is sleeping. James Mardsen isn't really Rupert Everett in Shrek, but he is great a dumb shallow Don Quixotesque prince charming. Makes you ladies wana think, if youd wana go for a fairytale prince charming as narrow as this. Patrick Dempsey of course is that sweet spot in that candy sprinkled eclair. The goofy and nerdy guy back in the 80's has definetly turned out to be every girls dream boy. And why not isnt that the reason why girls are suckers for greys anatomy?

Its mostly fun. But I gotta admit some parts were avoidably and predictable cheesy. I mean we already know what the true love's first kiss would do, and that of course there has to be a happily ever after. But all this is a necessary ingredient to creat probably this seasons best feel good movie. Its all just surrealism though of course, often times very cartoonish and sometimes unnecessarily that way. Id like to put a teaspoon of honey on my earl grey tea, but sometimes sitting through it is the equivalent of 20 teaspoons.

All in all it is the Chick flick equivalent of Shoot em up, only its more entertaining and even memorable. It actually made me go. Can somebody tell me why I should watch a piece of crap john loyd- bea movie that has an unforgettable quote "Mahal kita! at ang sakit sakit na!"

A solid B+

Enchanted

I knew it ws going to be good, based on the trailers, but I was mildly surprised to find out it was almost a perfect film to see. It was funny and charming and, yes, enchanting.

The story pokes fun at the Disney fairy tale formula but never loses any of its magic. Instead, it takes it to a new level.

Amy Adams is officially a movie star in this one. She captivates the screen in a comical yet nuanced performance. This is her Pretty Woman, folks. If there is any justice in this world, she should receive an Oscar nomination for Best Actress, if not the award itself.

Also doing a memorable performance is James Marsden. He provides some of the funniest lines and moments in the film. He is a scene-stealer here and does a great supporting job.

What stopped it from being a perfect film is how the character of Susan Sarandon is treated and the climax could've been better. Still, an enjoyable film worth watching in this holiday season...

Enchanted.

Well its a shallow plot, but at least its smart. Its cheesey sometimes but who cares, I am a guy reviewing a chick flick. Well at least its not you average Kim Chiu and Gerard Anderson "Pakilig" flick, or that John Loyd Bea movie, or any other piece of crap filipino romance flicks that are so formulaic, so unoriginal, so inane, that you have actually seen the movie by just watching the trailer....

Sad to say, as per boxofficemojo, it's the inane, unoriginal, formulaic crap filipino romantic flick that is getting more business locally.

Anyway, I also loved Enchanted...will definitely recommend this over any Pinoy garbage anytime!

HITMAN

Well definitely even with th right elements, a movie can still turn disappointing when given the wrong execution. Well I am a big fan of the game so I have a little bit of Biases, so Im gona say it wasn't really all bad. At least it was a notch better than Jet Li and Jason Statham's Rogue Assassin. And I am a big fan of both actors too.

If you guys aren't familiar with the game, Hitman is actually not a shootem up game. The point of the game is for you to be stealthy, avoid suspicion (and becoming a bullet magnet), and minimize casualty as you take out your target. The less bullets you use to eliminate your target the more points you get (But of course you can just go Rambo for the fun of it). So I was not really looking forward to a blow em up type of movies, which is why I did not think that Vin Diesel would make a good agent 47.

Anyway here is the Plot. There exists an agency simply known as "The Organization", which sole purpose it to train professional killers from birth (It should have been clear in the film, that 47 was bread from the most dangerous international criminals, he was genetically engineered). 47 is the best among them. His latest target gets him in between a political conspiracy, and later on becomes the subject of a widespread manhunt by the local authorities, Interpol, and of the same agency he works for. His only hope of uncovering the truth on the price on his head is a russian prostitute.

The plot is a collosal mess. I mean I wasnt expecting an oscar worthy plot, in fact I thought that thre is a good reason why plots should be minimized in an action movie. Its what makers the Rambo and Die Hard Franchise enjoyable. Although good story and great action could always make a balance, it just was not achieved here. It is lackluster, predictable at one point, confusing at another point, and feels like you are watching a Bourne rip off. The movie could have been saved if it actually followed a simpler plot, more action and stayed true with the game.

Action scenes were not that grand either. I mean it wasn't bad. The fight scenes at the train station, I thought, was pretty sleek. It just was not enough. Its not enough to be original, its not enough to be memorable, its not enough to jolt you out of your seat, and its not enough to save the mess that the plot has already monumentally created. Its like ordering this very expensive dish at a restaurant, it does look good, it does taste good, its just not enough to fill your hunger. How I wish John Woo would direct a film like this. Oh it would be so kick ass with the dual guns, doves, and slow mo.

The casting also was bleaaH. Dougray Scott was insignificant. The russian girl has no other purpose but for the movie to have a breast exposure. and of course Timothy Olypant. He looks the parts, he feels like the part, but he is not the part. You would understand what I mean if you have seen how 47 was in the game. They should have found someone with deep baritone voice to cast as agent 47. He looks great in the movie posters, but come on! he looks gay when he opens his mouth or when he begins to talk. The director failed to actually feature the dark, enigmatic, and iceblooded nature of 47.

All in all, Im willing to give the movie another chance. But please overhall the casting

C

Enchanted.

Yep its me reviewing probably this years biggest walt disney chick flicks. Its a perfect movie to take your girlfriend to.

If you are looking for a movie soaked with estrogen, then this one is definitely a movie for you. Im not saying that a guy could not enjoy the movie (I did enjoy many parts actually), but definitely its not going to be in any guys top 10 movie list like terminator, rambo, or 300.

The story is very simple. What happens when a fairytale princess is sent to the real world where there aren't always happy endings? The story begins with your average storybook romance, about a kingdom far away, about a selfish queen, about a handsome price in his noble steed, and a maiden with a honey coated singing voice that could charm all forest creatures. There is singing and some dancing, the prince meets his fair maiden, and next thing we know they decide to get married first thing in the morning. The evil queen has other plans though, before our fairytale princess could go to her wedding, the old queen/witch pushes her into a well that transports her into another dimension. A place where there are no happy endings. New York City. And so our fairytale princess accidentally lands on the lap of another prince charming of the story, who happens to be a divorce lawyer struggling to race her 6 year old daughter. For some reason this prince charming in the story keeps the lost princes, and the morning later, its catastrophe, catastrophe, and more catastrophe when the original prince from the fairytale land follows her to New York city. All stirred up with the fairytale musical youd expect in snow white. Only the charming forest animals this time that are charmed by the voice of our princess are sewer rats, and pigeons.

Well its a shallow plot, but at least its smart. Its cheesey sometimes but who cares, I am a guy reviewing a chick flick. Well at least its not you average Kim Chiu and Gerard Anderson "Pakilig" flick, or that John Loyd Bea movie, or any other piece of crap filipino romance flicks that are so formulaic, so unoriginal, so inane, that you have actually seen the movie by just watching the trailer. I mean not that enchanted is not predictable or formulaic at some levels, but at least it took a fresh perspective by asking the basic questions of "How could we create an orginal concept about fairytale romance in the real world?" What would happen if snow white got lost in new york city and her prince charming happens to be a single dad who makes a living by settling divorce cases?Or "could it be possible that the damsel in distress at the climax would be the prince charming?" Ergo its a different execution, and it works.

Performances were great too! Amy Adams definitely owns her character to the core. She will make your girlfriend believe in fairytale prince charmings again. Her charisma is so overflowing, that it never gets too dull or too overacting when we watch. She captivates both the people that she meets in the park and the audience that loves to see her do that. She is just full of candy sprinkle that she is just so entertaining to watch even when she is sleeping. James Mardsen isn't really Rupert Everett in Shrek, but he is great a dumb shallow Don Quixotesque prince charming. Makes you ladies wana think, if youd wana go for a fairytale prince charming as narrow as this. Patrick Dempsey of course is that sweet spot in that candy sprinkled eclair. The goofy and nerdy guy back in the 80's has definetly turned out to be every girls dream boy. And why not isnt that the reason why girls are suckers for greys anatomy?

Its mostly fun. But I gotta admit some parts were avoidably and predictable cheesy. I mean we already know what the true love's first kiss would do, and that of course there has to be a happily ever after. But all this is a necessary ingredient to creat probably this seasons best feel good movie. Its all just surrealism though of course, often times very cartoonish and sometimes unnecessarily that way. Id like to put a teaspoon of honey on my earl grey tea, but sometimes sitting through it is the equivalent of 20 teaspoons.

All in all it is the Chick flick equivalent of Shoot em up, only its more entertaining and even memorable. It actually made me go. Can somebody tell me why I should watch a piece of crap john loyd- bea movie that has an unforgettable quote "Mahal kita! at ang sakit sakit na!"

A solid B+

I fell asleep at the start but woke up when they started singing (and when my date punched me). The lead's acting wasn't too great but they must have gotten heer for her voice.

C+

Eastern Promises

The film is good but still falls short of being a great film and also did not emulate the greatness of A History of Violence.

Still, it is worth watching. The violence is quite gripping and Viggo Mortensen rules this film. Of course, there is that scene that would make sauna lovers cringe.

David Cronenberg's finest, it is not. Still, quite a film to experience with teh way he fleshes out every detail of the underbelly of London.

Enchanted

- a pleasant surprise

I went into this film with very low expectations, but they actually did a really good job with it and I was laughing for the most part.

Amy Adams did a great job being a real life Disney Princess and although Susan Sarandon was underused for this movie, it still turned out pretty ok