The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Death Proof

Supposedly part of the "Grindhouse" double bill...this is Quentin Tarantino's contribution there.

Chick overload...Kurt Russell's Stuntman Mike can make Snake Plissken his butt boy.

Speaking of butts, lots of that...esp from the African American lady who plays Jungle Julia and CSI:NY alum Vanessa Ferlito (check out her lapdance number)

Good "k*ll Bill" and "Pulp Fiction" references there (esp. the one with the cheerleaders in the black&yellow Mustang - check out the "Pu$$y Wagon" bumper sticker on that baby).

Groan...Quentin Tarantino's appearance as bar owner Warren.

Anyway, if you don't mind the deliberate crappy-looking opening & closing credits (all the more accdg. to Mr. Tarantino, to recapture the "grind-house" experience of seeing B-flicks - in the days before pirated VCD/DVDs - on a seedy downtown cinema with rats 'n' roaches on the floors, pervs jacking themselves and getting b.j.'s next to you)

Eastern Promises

The film is good but still falls short of being a great film and also did not emulate the greatness of A History of Violence.

Still, it is worth watching. The violence is quite gripping and Viggo Mortensen rules this film. Of course, there is that scene that would make sauna lovers cringe.

David Cronenberg's finest, it is not. Still, quite a film to experience with teh way he fleshes out every detail of the underbelly of London.

I just watch it maganda magaling but parang may kulang. Parang the ending is bitin. Not enought character build-up. Love the sauna fight scene.

Shake Rattle and Roll 9, the onw showing this year:

The WORST of the series EVER!!!!

1. A Christmas Tree from the Amazon jungle (there are no pine trees there) eats people up.

2. A horror dream episode where one can dream about one's crush by lighting a candle and reciting a chant but make sure you wake up before the candle burns out otherwise you will live in a dream forever.

3. the third episode is a cheap copy of a movie i know i have seen. a witch living in a tree who eats people and the faces of people killed are etched on the enchanted tree.

YUCH!!! and the dialogue of the three episodes use very much the same lines.

rating ko ------- 2 out of 10 !!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I Am Legend

Is it just me or does Will Smith have a preference for sci-fi movies with apocalyptic themes lately? This time, however, you'll be treated to a hefty serving of life in solitude not unlike Tom Hanks' Castaway, although Will also has to contend with rabid humans. Resident Evil may come to mind, but Legend approaches the subject in earnest, focusing more on the dramatic aspect rather than the action. Suspense and horror fans will get their fair share, however, since the creatures featured here are quick on their feet with a primal scream that pierces the ears like chalk on a blackboard (plus, they lurk in the dark.) If you find the pace dragging, it's because a large part of the film dwells on the protagonist's daily routine, fleshing out the story occasionally with brief flashbacks.

The twist? The title becomes apparent at the rather abrupt ending.

Edited by Pietro Maximoff

Atonement

...is a great movie. I haven't read it, but I can tell that the movie gave the book justice, and a quick wiki tells me that the movie has also been quite faithful to it. It's one of those films that leaves you feeling heavy long after you've finished watching it, but ths one is not overly dramatic. Maybe because I'm a girl or I was just being overly sensitive, but whatever. Crafty... each scene was beautifully delivered. It won a Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture so it MUST be worth a shot. I should also mention that my roommate loved how the sounds made by an old-fashioned typewriter was incorporated to the musical score.

I won't give out any spoilers because I think that it's best to watch without any idea of what the film was about. Just watch it!

PS Also, the brief sex scene by Keira Knightley and James McAvoy was hoooot.

THE BUCKET LIST...Jack Nicholson & Moregan Freeman as 2 dying grizzlies spending & enjyoing their remaining lives together till death do them part.

Finally, a feel-good-movie for not only for senior citizens but for all ages who share a deep sense of their own mortality. Especially loved the part where Nicholson pays homage to his friend in a eulogical service. You'll come out of the movie with a tear or two, smiling and your hearts open. :thumbsupsmiley:

I just recently watched I'am Legend, I loved the movie expected it to be like Omega Man so people who haven't watched that probably expected it to be a major action movie.

The movie was very interesting and intense, loved the scene when he was chasing the dog into the building. First half of the movie was very good however the ending did feel a bit rushed.

overall 8/10

Finally, I got to watch Cloverfield! hehehehe

For starters, its a very short movie.....and its like another Blair Witch Project movie although the camera will make you dizzier. The most notable difference is that it lets you see the actual monster....but not like the Godzilla movie. Its started off kinda boring....but once the monster pops up, it shift into high gear.....The audience will surely be annoyed by the camera movements but once you get pass that, i guess we'll both agree that the movie delivers.

I just watched Cloverfield yesterday, very good movie. The movie was done exactly like a point of view style, not much clues are given out during the film about the monster nor do you get a lot of information on why it is attacking New York.

Basically the movie centers around a group of friends and the story basically flows from there, you do get to see a good minute at the end of the monster but throughout the movie you do get small shots here and there.

Like Blair Witch there is alot of hand movement on the camera and alot of editing and cutting, so if you dont like those shakey type camera angels then this movie isnt for you!...

***A little spoiler***

...the best part is the little creatures or parasites that hang off the monster and go on a rampage through out New York!

good movie overall, something fresh and not the usual monster movies that are pov on the army

score: 8/10

Edited by luol_deng

I AM LEGEND

Not a flawless film, but it was more than just the typical blockbuster Hollywood usually churns out. It provided real thrills along with characterization that were never dull. As thinking man's suspense films go, this is a good one. Not great, but good nonetheless.

Sweeney Todd

This is the most surprising musical I have seen. Also the most entertaining since forever. Johnny Depp provides another brilliant performance. Once again, it is not the best film ever but it should rank high among the films released in 2007. great acting, incredible story, masterful filmmaking. Any flaw is forgetabble.

SWEENY TODD...Johnny Depp does again a weired if not off-beat role in the tradition of Sleepy Hollow & Edward Scissorhands. Great acting, great singer JD doesn't seem to get anything wrong. If the MTRCB cuts the gruesome blood spillage, holler for your refund at the box office. :thumbsupsmiley: