The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

Die Hard 4.0 (Live Free Or Die Hard in the US)

Well, not similar to the earlier films but still enjoyable. Predictable at times, crazy action and a bit of special effects. The villains are tech savvy! Haha! Geeks are out to terrorize the U.S.? Please..

Still, not a bad way to spend 170 bucks. Way better than most action flicks we've seen lately but does not stack up as a classic action film like its predecessors in the series...

saw die hard 4 last night..all i can say 1 kick ass movie...enjoyed this movie more than transformers :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

bruce willis in his age can still deliver.................yipekaye mother****er

Edited by Cmayfrayna

Transformers

Rate: 5 stars

Wala akong masabi kundi.. ASTEEG! it brought back childhood memories. as in.. even got myself a transformer after 20-something years.. and looking forward to buying ironhide or bumblebee via ebay (hopefully)..

made a full review on it. check it out: http://soul_jah..blogs.friendster.com

Die Hard 4.0

Yipeekaye m*****f****r!!!

John McClane kicks ass once again..

ASTEEG din ito.. parang 24 ang dating.. old skool McClane beats techno-advanced cyber terrorists.. punong-puno ng aksyon.. mala-bong revilla at lito lapid ang dating, hehe... ganda pa ng anak niya dun, hawig ni bianca gonzales.. Maggie Q is sooo hot! grrr

Last Friday we saw two movies - Transformers and Ratatouille.

Suffice it to say I loved the Transformers: I have always loved the cartoon series, the movie was awe-f#&king-some! But no I wont rave about that anymore ... Too many raves given to an undeniably great movie already ...

I will however, rave about Ratatouille. It was my unexpected treat that night and to my mind, the best movie I have seen in months. I have not been so enchanted, amused and drawn to a movie since I saw Pan's Labyrinth and Volver.

Its a deceptively simple story really. A garbage boy who just wants to hold down a job but cant; a rat who wants to be a chef but cant. Thrown together, they made their dreams happen. The way that the story developed was very smooth. The transition from one subplot to another was handled with grace and finesse. Somehow, the guys over at Pixar managed to make the ickiest of creatures endearing -- Remy and his part snobbish part wistful air; his brother who is always hungry and who keeps bringing more and more people for Remy to feed and his dad who comes across as the typical dad: tough but with an unexpected sweet side that means he will never, ever turn his back on his son.

Linguini as the garbage boy turned chef turned restaurateur was also a sympathetic character. One cannot help but feel sorry for him and his inability to hold down a job. We cant help but cheer when he and Remy finally get their act together; cant help but swoon when Remy and Colette finally kiss.

Even the bad guys are amusing - Skinner with his avarice and Anton Ego, who in the end turns out to be quite human after all.

Ratatoiulle is more than just a cartoon ... both Remy and Linguini have to make choices between what they want to be and what they think they can achieve. Remy in the end, comes to realize that one does not turn his back on family ... and Linquini comes to terms with his own heritage as well. It also puts forth the learning that we always have to be accountable for our actions and decisions; and that to attain what we truly want, we sometimes have to give up what we think we need.

Technically - the film is flawless. It conjures up images of the classic Disney cartoons - think Snow White and Cinderella. The entire movie is able to evoke a lush feeling of Parisian grandeur in one scene and in another, totally gross us out with a platoon of rodents cooking away at a kitchen. One actually senses just how hot and hectic it can get in a 5star restaurant's kitchen; one can almost smell and taste the food that they have just made. Pixar's strength really lies in putting forth feelings through their animation and they have done a superb job of doing that in this movie. I love that they are able to combine simplicity and sophistication in this film and come up with something that is sublime.

In the end, my biggest take away from this movie came from Anton Ego when he said: "Not everyone can be a great artist... but a great artist can come from anywhere".

Being what we want to be is possible - it just takes hard work and faith in oneself.

Edited by Wyld

@Wyld - I couldn't agree more..... Ratatouille is simply the best computer animated movie to come out since Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. .....it's that good.....my favorite scene was when the Health inspector came to the restaurant and saw Remy's entire clan.....boy that threw me out of chair laughing :lol: actually there are so many high moments in this movie it would be hard to rank them from highest to lowest..... :cool:

On Topic:

I saw Blind Date last night.....If your looking for comedy this is not it.....the comedy doesnt work for me here....HOWEVER, If you are looking for a drama, this is a good alternative.....though there are dragging parts and poor acting in the movie, you can't help but admire Chris' Pine's performance as the blind virgin guy who fell in love with an Indian woman engaged to be married who undergoes an experimental surgery in the hopes of seeing again.....other than that, its not worth your time.

Edited by Waterbearer
Guest Leviticus

Harry Potter 5: The order of the phoenix.

No chance of a spoiler here. A few weeks from now would be the world-wide release of book 7 of HP. But I'm getting ahead of myself.. this is a review of the fifth HP movie.

Here we see Harry and his friends grow up. The effects are better as compared to the first four movies. If you've followed the books there are quite a number of differences in the story. Focus of the movie seems to be on Harry and Luna; move over Hermione. hehe.

Character of Cho seems to be.. light. too bad there wasn't much focus on her. And also with Hagrid! argh!! only a few seconds of movie time. Too bad too with Tonks. The broomstick ride through London was spectacular though, and the magic duels in the middle and the end.

Helena Bogham (Correct ba spelling) Carter did a stunning performance as Bellatrix Lestrange. Also with Gary Oldman as Sirius Black.

The end scenes, however, were not that memorable, especially with the dialogue between Harry and Dumbledore

an 8/10 movie

Finally saw Live free or Die Hard 4.0.....It was really good.....I didn't saw this coming.....I thought it was just another senior citizen guy doing a comeback....but yeah I was happy with this film......love the fight scene with the Asian chick.

Edited by Waterbearer

Saw a couple of films last weekend.....

SURF'S UP - I like their concept of storytelling thru a reality show program....yun nga lang, parang kulang sa comic.....way way below comparison as against Ratatouille. It was a good film though.

OCEAN'S 13 - Ocean's 11 and 12 were better but the twist in this one is so supercool.....creating a man-made earthquake to knock a security system was just pure brilliance.....medyo dragging lang pero all in all, it was cool movie....San kaya makakakuha nung patch na nakakaseduce the chick :lol:

The Simpsons Movie

I always knew there is no way this film would disappoint me. Almost everything that made the show great was here!

Laughs galore! The plot was nonsensical most of the time, but that did not stop it from being enjoyable!

Highly recommended to everyone who has seen at least an episode...

i watched simpson's the movie last night... i must admit i missed this show and it really felt good seeing the family again. :)

for those who have watched simpson's in TV before, you'll know how dysfunctional the family is. ahahaha! pero sa movie, they are succesful in sending out a very good message about environment and family, how to take care of it and how to be a better person.

i like the movie... may last song syndrome pa nga ako e. :P

da...dadada...dada..

The Simpson's movie is a must watch ... if only to see Marge in that sexy outfit of hers... :lol: Seriously though, whats not to like about this movie? It makes no pretensions about what it is and what it aims to do. Its a fun, funny movie that pokes fun in the most mundane of things.

The humor is ascerbic and crude - whats not to like about that? It did not stray far from the tried and tested formula that made The Simpsons one of the longest running TV shows of all time.

Plus... who can resist Spider Pig aka Harry Plopper? :D

Watch it. Guffaw. Laugh out loud. Burp if you have to. Just watch it.

Edited by Wyld
Guest Leviticus

DieHard 4.0

Just saw this last night via DVD. At first I was expecting a slow movie (hey, bruce willis looks overweight in this movie and definitely old) but I was really entertained by all the action, all the bombs, all the car scenes (imagine destroying a helicopter with a car), the babes (even John Mclaine's daughter is sooo hot), the comic sidekick (Samuel L. Jackson is STILL the coolest though).

let's face it, in today's CGI laden movies it's nice to have a fresh dose of violence (well.. this movie is no exception with the CGI). violence in the sense that you can see blood but without the gore.

and the one-liners! hahahahaha!

"you have to dig deep and find yourself a big set of balls.."

too bad this movie was overshadowed by Transformers and HP5.

on a side note, I was with my younger brother and his girlfriend when watching this. My brother's GF commented "ang tagal naman mamatay nyan, nabaril, naaksidente ng kotse, nahulog na sa airplane buhay pa". Duh.. that's why it's called DIE HARD! :upside:

I saw DISTURBIA the movie the other week. It starred Shia Labeouf, the star of Transformer the Movie. The movie is about a teenage boy who after his painful experience of a car accident and eventually leading to his father's death, was placed on house arrest after an altercation with his teacher in school. The story revolves around his neighbors and the spying that he does using his telescope and discovering more than what he wished for.

It was an entertaining movie although lacking in enough suspense element in the end. I wished there was more depth on the story line with regards to the murders he discovered and more sexy voyeurism included in his spying activities...

I rate this movie a B-

The Simpson's movie is a must watch ... if only to see Marge in that sexy outfit of hers... :lol: Seriously though, whats not to like about this movie? It makes no pretensions about what it is and what it aims to do. Its a fun, funny movie that pokes fun in the most mundane of things.

The humor is ascerbic and crude - whats not to like about that? It did not stray far from the tried and tested formula that made The Simpsons one of the longest running TV shows of all time.

Plus... who can resist Spider Pig aka Harry Plopper? :D

Watch it. Guffaw. Laugh out loud. Burp if you have to. Just watch it.

Exactly! I agree with you 100%. I laughed hardest at the part where they were trying to escape thru the hole in the ground and Homer got stuck while giving everyone the finger.

Edited by rockybrawler

Just watched this morning 'BOURNE ULTIMATUM' (Matt Damon)...

As expected another blockbuster hit that delivers the thrills Director Paul Greengrass masterfully has brought to the screen. I was just awed by the pacing and drama of the chase scenes by foot, by motorbike, and by car that are as powerful as the close-quarter mano-a-mano fight scenes between Bourne (whose true identity has now been revealed as David Webb) and CIA assets like him out to rub him.

But other than the intense action scenes, what is quite remarkable is how Bourne again goes into a cold-blooded killer mode when faced with danger, but remains genuinely humane and in control of his senses when he gets the upper hand in subduing his enemies. I liked the ending.

Expect another Bourne 4! :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by Mandrake

Movie Addicts... when you do your reviews, give us a little bit more info please...

What makes it good, what makes it bad... Review the movie, please.

Thank you ...

Sidenote: Imma watch Stardust tonight ... im not sure I can write a review that will not rave about it because... lets face it, Stardust is a Neil Gaiman story. More later.

Edited by Wyld

ganun ba talaga kaganda ni wyld... sorry got distracted again, cute kasi ng recent avatar-photo nya eh, oh how you really shine in this one... crap, off-topic na tuloy ako :blush:

repeat, ganun ba talaga kaganda ng transformers the movie, kasi hanggang ngayon hindi ko pa sya napapanood, at pag-inaamin ko yun sa kausap ko, sinasabi nila hindi daw ako tao :unsure:

Rush Hour 3 is one of the worst films of the summer. It's boring and their formulaic style of comedy doesn't work the third time. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I didn't find it boring though. It was still entertaining and never a dull moment with the fast paced action and the big mouthed and funny Chris Tucker. The story line may be too obvious and no twists expected whatsoever but it more than made up for the quick pacing thus you will never be dragged for the whole duration.

I still encourage you to watch this since there are no movies that are better showing now in the Metro. It's now the No.1 movie in the USA surpassing Bourne Ultimatum. :)