The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

effects are ok..... not bad... not very impressive though

story, too much of a cliche. teh ctory really really bored me big time.

if the theater was not surround, i could have fallen asleep....

talaga pare di maganda? wanted to watch it this week with the kumander e...para kasing kami yun ako yung predator siya naman yung Alien.. :lol:

the Alamo? old or the new?

Guest cool_k@reem
I've seen M. Night Shyamalan's The Village....

As usual, Shymalan has a knack for twists... and all i could say when the twist came is SHYET! It was so sudden... Plus a few shock moments...

Cool movie... Worth the money you pay for

Stars Joaquin Phoenix, William Hurt and Sigourney Weaver

same here..SHET! :lol:

AVP... who ever wins, we loose...

talo talaga compared to previous Aliens and Predator Series... I mean obviously they were out to get more money that's why PG-13 nalang instead of it's usual R-18 rating (larger audience). Plus, nothing new was shown. same old tricks on a very lame story. I mean, what's the significance of hiring all those experts? Experts who saw 1 picture and were able to draw a very deep conclusion on what that pyramid is w/o doing further research or study? tapos may time pa silang tumunganga ang make comments like "ur one ugly mothef***ng thing, tpos less than 2 minutes lang sila sa screen eh patay na... i'm really frustrated wd this movie after looking forward for it for a long time...

talaga pare di maganda? wanted to watch it this week with the kumander e...para kasing kami yun ako yung predator siya naman yung Alien.. :lol:

the Alamo? old or the new?

yup, AVP was too much overrated. if you have seen those typical adventure movies where a several people enter a building, pyramid, etc, and one by one dies, until the only survivor is the lead character, then you have seen AVP.

the new alamo, i didnt have the chance to see john wayne movies. :)

i have seen the movie only, the story was not bad, except for some few dragging moments. id say its 8 0f 10.

avp, 6 of 10

saw ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (pirated DVD). Jim "Ace Ventura" Carrey, Kate "Rose Dawson" Winslet, Kirsten "MJ Watson" Dunst and Elijah "Frodo" Wood. Erasing someone from your mind just became the setting in this movie.

Tom Wilkinson (In The Bedroom) as Dr. Mierzwiak, inventor of the mind erasing technology, is contacted by Jim Carrey to have his girlfriend (Kate Winslet) erased from his memory.

Interesting premise but the technical aspect of the film e.g. erratic camera movements and the film's color palette/hues of three colors (red, blue-green and yellow) are puffed-up making the film tedious and uninteresting/unappealing. It could have been something more in astonishment if it were done in a grander scale in terms of budget. The memory erasing device looks crude....nagtitipid yata mga producers :lol:

Edited by Anaheim
ALIEN VS PREDATOR ;)

The movie was fair enough in terms of special effects and animations pero parang bitin yung action and there are scenes in the movie thar are to shoddy, di mo na halos alam kung ano ang nangyayari. In terms of the story's plot, mababaw yung dating. Mas may thrill pa rin yung mga naunang alien movies w/sigourney weaver. you can really feel the atmosphere of the movie compared to AVP. If you're a fan of watching horror movies during the weekends, AVP would do just fine.

Fellow canine dogshark (are you primarily a shark or a dog? :lol: ), there will be some changes in this thread. To be of better help to our members, this thread shall be upgraded to a strictly reviews-only thread.

This thread has been helpful to many of us film buffs. However, the truly useful reviews often get lost in the reactions, questions and comments by other members. The objective of providing helpful reviews and recommendations will thus be better served if we restrict the thread to reviews only.

Here are the rules.

1. Only movie reviews of those currently being shown in theaters shall be allowed, whether Pinoy or foreign. Non-movie review posts shall be deleted. (I think I have to emphasize that. ;) )

2. The format shall be:

A. Caption

Title of the Film

Director

Lead Actors/Actresses

Remarks (e.g. Based on a book by..., comeback film by... Academy Award-Winning... etc)

B. Synopsis of the Movie

C. Review/Criticism

D. Rating (To be placed at the bottom of the post)

Excellent - :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Worth your money - :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Good - :cool: :cool: :cool:

Waste of money - <_< <_<

Fergedit! - <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

3. If a member has some opinion or reaction on the review made by another member, a new review should be made. No quoting of posts shall be allowed.

4. A group of moderators will closely monitor this thread to ensure compliance.

5. These rules shall be effective immediately.

RELAX, WATCH A MOVIE

Quick Review

THE NOTEBOOK

Directed by: Nick Cassavetes

Rachel McAdams (HOTTIE!), Ryan Gosling

based on a novel by N. Sparks

my rating: :cool: :cool: :cool:

remarks/review: a film for hopeless romantics... & lovers of happy endings. :)

watch it with your gf/bf.. wife.. lover.. or anybody you love!...

simple, old fashioned love story... no big effects... usual script.. but still works. :)

OT.. message sa katabi ko sa sinehan kanina... T***-I*A KUNG MAGKWEKWENTUHAN KAYO.. LUMABAS KAYO NG SINEHAN! :angry: :grr: :angry: :grr:

post-62-1094491968.jpg

Edited by fatso8

Quick Review

DODGEBALL: A True Underdog Story

Ben Stiller (White Goodman), Vince Vaughn (Peter LeFleur)

Directed by: Rawson Thurber

my rating: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

remarks/review: if you enjoyed Zoolander.. you'll definitely enjoy this one. :) ... if you're a fan of slapschtick comedy, this movie fits you.. watch it with your friends para mas masaya! Pampaalis ng stress! :lol: :lol: :lol:

and.. Remember the 5 Ds of Dodgeball!

Go Purple Cobras! :lol:

post-62-1094789171.jpg

Edited by fatso8
anybody watched the terminal (tom hanks)? thanks!

Shady here watched it... :) And the movie was cool... :cool: not a happy endin', though..,. :( oops not much for spoilers here... :boo:

Terminal

Cast : Tom Hanks , Catherine Zeta Jones, Diego Luna (dude in Dirty Dancing 2), Stanley Tucci, the dude in Boston Public (forgot his name, though)

Mah Rating : 9 of 10

Remarks? Review : While his acting might not be as powerful as his Oscar wins in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump, Tom Hanks was very effective as a Russian (?) aka foreigner stuck in a New York terminal becoz the war in his small country has started...and he got problems with his passport and visa...

He thrived and survived living in the terminal for months (i think like 6 to nine months? :unsure:)... he learned to speak and write English, he learned to earn money (as cart collector and then carpenter or somethin) and yeah... he fell in love to a stewardess (Zeta-Jones)... he even helped an airport employee (Luna) get married to a strict lady officer... :cool:

I'm a sucker for happy endings... so if u dont dig non-happy endings, u wont like tis movie... but for a change, i appreciated the ending here... even if i wish Hanks' character will get everything...well almost, that is...

At least i didnt say the ending here... :upside: :boo: Better watch it tonight...tomorrow... next week... it's worth the loooong 2-hours of your time... :lol:

ganda nga ng terminal

funny din ng dodgeball

be sure not to leave yet may surprise scene pa after the end credits

it's soo funny

last night i watched exorcist the beginnnig

which was quite a disappointment

di siya masyado nakakatakot

mababaw although it was splendidly shot

the movie opens with a very good gory scene

may shades ng lord of the rings but it was all downhill from there

tapos si father merrin ginawa nilang mala-indiana jones :unsure:

ok lang yung bida na si stellan skaarsgard pero magulo ang plot ng pelikulang to ang positive part lang yung twist na malapit pa sa ending

at sa mga nag-aabang sa mala "linda blair" na scenes it was so brief it wasn't able to save the movie

(spoilers)

maraming scenes na mas maganda sana kung di ginamitan ng cg

kalokohan yung scene na naglalakad yung girl tapos sobrang obvious na peke yung candle na hawak niya

kakatawa pa nung dinugo siya tapos she touched herself down there, mukha tuloy mens yung dugo! :evil:

although di naman nakakatakot maraming scenes na nakakadiri

yung nakita niyo nakakatakot sa trailer yun na yun!

and you might remember the girl here, siya yung nasa goldeneye

the ending was really walang kwenta

di ko na ikukuwento ang ending panoorin niyo na lang pang date movie naman :boo:

rating 3 out of 5

director: renny harlin (cutthroat island, mindhunters)

can u tell me why get an action director to do in a horror movie?

FENG SHUI

Probably one of the best Pinoy horror flicks I've ever watched. It's definately unique, and can compete against those Japanese and Chinese flicks. You've gotta watch it! It's damn scary! Di ko na kkwento, basta malupit! Promise! All of the performances were damn great! Di baduy!

Five Stars!

Two Thumbs Up!

:D

FENG SHUI

Probably one of the best Pinoy horror flicks I've ever watched. It's definately unique, and can compete against those Japanese and Chinese flicks. You've gotta watch it! It's damn scary! Di ko na kkwento, basta malupit! Promise! All of the performances were damn great! Di baduy!

Five Stars!

Two Thumbs Up!

:D

Just to add to this review... :cool:

Shady here also watched it...with colleauges in a "lightning decision" last night @ G4 :boo: Last full show @ that... And the movie was cool... not a happy endin', though..,. oops not much for spoilers here... :upside:

Feng Shui

Cast : Kris Aquino, Jay Manalo, Ilonah Jean, Lotlot de Leon, Joone Gamboa, etc....

Mah Rating : 8 of 10

Remarks? Review : Before Yo! all say... "Why Shady watch a cheap local movie" well... the earlier review says it all... :cool: It's like ridin' the horror train in a carniveral through a rollercoaster.... :boo: A Scream-o-meter piece worth watchin...

Kris Aquino plays a woman who picked up a "banga" :unsure: aka feng shui material from a stranger who was her seatmate on a bus... While she tried to call the dude to return the feng shui thing to him, she failed.... After a couple of scenes... the dude who forgot his feng shui piece was accidentally hit by a bus and died... :( But now the scary part begins... :boo:

One by one.... People who are involved (not necessarily Kris' acquaintances) in the feng shui thing transfixed in Kris' home mysteriously die after the other... until the point came Kris' characters' loved ones ( Jay-husband, Lotlot -close friend and her two kids) were involved...

Oops.. mah bad for some spoilers here... :boo: But did I still post the ending? Not by a long shot... :boo: :upside: Just like mah "Terminal" review... Just postin' some parts of the story and how storyline flowed...

Indeed... one of the best if not the best Pinoy horror/suspense flick I watched... And didnt regretted it... :cool:

Why only "8"? hmm... maybe some scenes not clearly explained (if i post this, ill mention the ending, so better not here :lol:) especially in the final scenes... maybe these were assuming the moviegoers would know what would happen to Kris in the end... but the negatives were far overshadowed by the positives here...

Sidelights: Before we (like five of us, 3 dudes and 2 ladies) entered G4 Cinema 6 (where Feng Shui was shown) a TV crew (probably from ABS) tried to interview moviegoers comin'out of the cinema from the previous screenin... and yeah... they didnt make even much of a comment... :boo: makes us wonder then... but after watchin it we knew why... :upside: But actually, Makati moviegoers are camera-shy @ most... not the jologs-type peeps found in SM Cinemas :lol: pardon the SM fans here, hehehe...

Like the Terminal, watch it tonight, tomorrow or next week... Tip: if ur not marrier or no GF, bring your lady colleagues or friends... and hear them scream amusingly... :boo: just we 3 guys felt... and our other seatmates-strangers from the back were all ladies... :lol: we couldnt hear the dialogues anymore... :)

Would watch it again... :cool: tis time with mah "Kim Mathers"... :rolleyes:

Edited by ^Tim^

OPEN WATER

Directed by Chris Kentis and stars Blanchard Ryan (Susan) and Daniel Travis (Daniel)

This is an Indie film which is actually based on true events. It is about two scuba divers accidentally stranded in shark infested waters after their tour boat has left.

I found the movie pretty boring... who'd want to sit through a 79 minute movie watching a couple bob up and down in the ocean and argue on who's fault it was (uh, me? :lol:). The only thing I enjoyed was when a shark took a nibble of hubby's leg and he was going berserk and when it was night time and you could hear them screaming and crying and well... other than that it was pretty much just an average thriller. Not bad for an indie flick that's now being compared to The Blair Witch Project

I'd recommend this film to scuba diving enthusiasts, people who love sharks/ jaws movies, and aspiring film makers. Oh and for those maniacs too, Blanchard Ryan has a nude scene on the first couple minutes of the movie.

Good - :cool: :cool: :cool:

Edited by strangedays