The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

THE TERMINAL

Directed by Steven Spielberg and stars Tom Hanks (Viktor Navorski), Catherine Zeta-Jones (Amelia Warren), Chi McBride (Joe Mulroy), Stanley Tucci (Frank Dixon), Kumar Pallana (Gupta Rajan), and others.

This film is about an eastern european man who has a secret and personal mission to attend to in New York. He ends up getting stuck in the airport after a war back home leaves him without a country and any legal standing.

When I went to cinema to watch this film I thought it was going to be similar to other Tom Hanks romantic comedies such as You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle, the only difference being Catherine Zeta-Jones playing the love interest instead of Meg Ryan.

But this film by Steven Spielberg has endearing qualities of its own which makes it good film to watch. Tom Hanks plays his role as Viktor Navorski with such effortless style that you immediately become drawn to his character and empathize with his situation. Catherine Zeta-Jones, in my opinion, was nothing more than an ornament to add that romance part to the film.

The support cast was great and provided the additional comedy and warmth, especially 85 year old Kumar Pallana who plays the janitor. Did you know that at one point in his career he actually was a juggler and plate spinner? I can still see myself laughing at the scene where Gupta juggles these colored rings and spins plates in an attempt to entertain Hanks and Jones at the dinner table. Very memorable.

All in all I think The Terminal is a real nice movie to watch, especially if you want to leave the cinema feeling all warm and nice on the inside. I think I'll go grab a beer...

Worth Your Money :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Edited by strangedays

1.Bourne Supremacy- for a sequel, ok pa rin tlaga sya. has lived up to my expectations! action-packed tlga although some scenes are super edited kaya di masyado makita yung moves but still worth it. heart-pounding!

2. Feng Shui-dis flick is a relief sa mga baduy na local movies natin, the casts were good including kris who's not the typical "tactless" in this movie, d2 di sya maingay (xcept of course, when she's screaming) & she has improved a lot in acting. i wouldn't say exceptional, but it's worth watching na rin. purely entertaining!

2.The Notebook-im hesitant to watch dis coz im not into romance movies tlaga. but this flick is not too mushy kaya i enjoyed it plus most of the scenes are realistic, not the typical fairy tale movies na imposible ng mangyari or its too cheesy, sobrang corny na. If you love good old romance movies like titanic, love affair & sleepless in seattle, you'll gonna love this movie!

1. Bourne Supremacy --- Great story line but the cinematography was a crap, Imagine watching a fight screen on extreme close up ...nakakhilo grabe .....

2. the notebook -- ganda nya' super ang story Its all about Commitment ---- whixh is ito ang kulang ng ating bansa'

opening palang very symbolical ang dating yung nag row sa river while sunset. then yung mga ducks flying together then a shot of the house kung saan sila na gmeet ulit.

3. Fung Shei --- another Kris kaartehang movie'

the last movie i watched was the exorcist the beginning..nice movie..nakakatakot tlga, lalo na't panoorin mo siya ng last full show tpos palabas ka ng mall ng late na at unti na ang mga tao.. :boo:

hoping to watch the punisher next..sharks tale mukhang ok din, naghit kasi sa u.s. so malamang maganda siguro yun..can't wait for resident evil apocalypse, blade trinity, the next batman movie at marami pang iba, movie buff kasi ko..

feng shui di ko pa napapanood, ganda ba? maraming nagsasabi mganda daw.. :mtc: :cool:

BOURNE SUPREAMCY:

-sarap pnuorin kc fast pace at full of action and twist...kso s sobrng bilis mhihilo k s galaw nung cam...former tv director kc ung director ngaun kya mjo iba ung approach s camera takes...pro other than,all good ung movie.

FENG SHUI:

-i have never been a fan of pinoy horror movies and of kris aquino being an actress at that (how the hell did she get those acting awards?!sheesh!).pro i found this movie really interesting and entertaining...credit it to the writer whose imagination is to be admired and to the director whose interpretation is just as fitting...ndi k man mtkot,mppicip k s movie n 2...no wonder it had a B rating...well made...sna nga lng ndi c kris ung bida pro pwde n rin...better than the ring...

THE LONGEST YARD:

-upcoming movie ni adam sandler...about american footbal ung team...astig ung cast which includes ata chris rock, gold berg, steve austin (yes,the wwe stars) etc...im sure this will be a hit...well,with adam sandler u can nver go wrng..Ü

peace out!

Ü

Fahrenheit 9/11 by Michael Moore

Watched it yesterday. It was a very good documentary, it lives up to the awards that it received. It focuses on the Bush's administration connections to the Saudi. Events covered from the Bush election, his inaguration, 9/11, post 9/11 and then the attacks on afghanistan and more recently iraq.. It is a very powerful flick that attacks and tells the truth about the government under Bush and Chaney.

I recommend this film to all, it may be long and dragging for some because it is slated as 2 hours of documentation.. but Michael Moore's commentary and the visuals you will see will make you see it through out the end.

Wimbledon

Cast: Kirsten Dunst (Spiderman), Paul Bettany, Bernard Hill (Lord of the Rings trilogy)

Plot: Story of a has-been pro tennis player (Bettany) who's ranked 119th in the world but was given a wild-card ranking to play in Wimbledon.... and he has declared that it would be his last tournament as a pro... But he accidentally stumbled upon a top-ranked women's tennis star (Dunst) who's too focused on winning but suddenly found time for a relationship... that could make or break both of their careers... Happy ending? Better find out... Or for those who watched it already... Whatdyatink? :evil:

Rank: Not bad for a non-"mainstream" movie... Sporty yet romantic... If Yo! a tennis fan, u can relate to this movie... but hopeless romantics can also serve "Love" on this net... :heart:

• 2 weeks later...

i just saw THE GRUDGE last night... i think it is much better than the ring remake. but it cannot surpassed the original japanese flick. i find american people living in japan funny...i don't know, but i find it very funny. hehehe! there are some good scenes, but the story of the japanese flick is much better than the remake.

my rating: 2/5

Okay, to avoid mass deletions of off-topic posts (kakapagod rin yun ha?), i'm posting the rules on this thread again. Please comply, folks. Thank you.

Thread Rules

This thread has been helpful to many of us film buffs. However, the truly useful reviews often get lost in the reactions, questions and comments by other members. The objective of providing helpful reviews and recommendations will thus be better served if we restrict the thread to reviews only.

Here are the rules.

1. Only movie reviews of those currently being shown in theaters shall be allowed, whether Pinoy or foreign. Non-movie review posts shall be deleted. (I think I have to emphasize that. )

2. The format shall be:

A. Caption

Title of the Film

Director

Lead Actors/Actresses

Remarks (e.g. Based on a book by..., comeback film by... Academy Award-Winning... etc)

B. Synopsis of the Movie

C. Review/Criticism

D. Rating (To be placed at the bottom of the post)

Excellent -

Worth your money -

Good -

Waste of money -

Fergedit! -

3. If a member has some opinion or reaction on the review made by another member, a new review should be made. No quoting of posts shall be allowed.

4. A group of moderators will closely monitor this thread to ensure compliance.

5. These rules shall be effective immediately.

RELAX, WATCH A MOVIE

Quick (Late) Review

FAHRENHEIT 9/11

Written, produced, & directed by: Michael Moore

Documentary/Film

My Rating: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: (DVD is worth your money!)

Review: A thought provoking documentary film from Michael Moore (Bowling For Columbine).. Anti-Bush film.. makes you wonder if all the accusations in the film are true.. You'll have a different impression/view of George W. Bush, his family & his government after watching the film.

Sorry for the late review.. Ngayon ko lang napanood e!

post-23251-1099673726.jpg

The Incredibles - I would recommend this movie for kids. Shows the classic Good winning over Evil!

Cellular - This film is an example of what could happen if each of us take time out to listen carefully before judging others. Should the actor given up and taken the call as a joke, he would have cut-off the phone and possibly the mother would be dead (including the family members).

A. Caption

Title of the Film THE INCREDIBLES

Director Brad Bird

Lead Actors/Actresses voices of Craig T. Nelson (Poltergeist) as Mr. Incredible, Holly Hunter (the Piano) as Elastigirl, Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu of Star Wars prequels, Pulp Fiction) as the black super dude Super Cool, Syndrome (Jason Lee) the villain

Remarks : We watched it yesterday at the Shangrila theater of the Shangrila Mall near Megamall. Great seats, Incredible Dolby Surround sound.

B. Synopsis of the Movie "The Incredibles" is about the story and the adventure of a typical super hero family. Mr Incredible, the patriarch was forced to early retirement because he faces lawsuits for unlawful rescues. Mr. Incredible married Elastigirl and moved to a typical American suburbs with their children Violet, Dashiell and Little Jack Jack. They have set aside their super hero identities and became the Parr family, Bob and wife Helen. Bob works in an insurance company but despises his job. He reunites with his old buddy Frozone, also a former super hero (Super Cool) and they reminisce the good old days and they secretly does a low profile super-heroing without the knowledge of their wives. Bob was lured into a Pacific Island as Mr. Incredible, overweight and slowed down, battles a robot named Omnidroid 7. This robot is one of the squad machines created by Syndrome, who idolizes Mr. Incredible when he was a kid but became resentful when Mr. Incredible refused to let him become his sidekick.

C. Review/Criticism Pixar animators has done it again, fascinating us with breakneck speed action along with comedic elements involving suburban American life. 'The Incredibles' is a parody of comic book heroes and reminiscent of the old 1960s TV Batman (Adam West as Batman and Burt Ward as Robin, the Boy Wonder). It gave me the same feeling of excitement and wonderment as watching for the first time the movie Adam West's Batman (1967). The music is a familiar 1960s retro very reminiscent of the Batman TV series and other 60s movie. Audiences will identify the connection with Sean Connery's James Bond movies when they see Syndrome's island fortress. Character wise, the movie has qualities that can be easily relatable with audiences such as in the case of Violet, eldest daughter of Ben and Helen, who has a secret crush with a cute guy in school but she has an inferiority complex or a lack of confidence to show her affectionate ways. Kids will surely go dazzle with Dashiell's (Dash) dashing ability to run faster than a speeding bullet. Comedic elements such as the issue of super heroes wearing capes!, here you will learn that the wearing of capes is a direct violation of the law....what if your cape got entangled during rescue your operations? who's to blame? funny isn't it? just imagine Superman or Batman without their signature capes if they're in this movie (mas lalo sila nag mukhang tanga wala ng 'cape' inuna pa nila sinuot yung spandex na pantalon at huling isinuot yung 'brief' underwear). Great fun for the whole family and for me personally. I even completed the whole first set (4 toys) of McDonald's Happy meal toys (The Incredibles) all for myself! :D

D. Rating :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Excellent - 5/5

post-46232-1099882441.jpg

Edited by Anaheim

WICKER PARK

Cast: Josh Hartnett, Rose Byrne, Matthew Lillard, Diane Kruger.

Director: Paul McGuinan.

Summary:

This is abt. a photographer/investment banker (Josh Hartnett) who fell in love the first time he saw this beautiful dancer, (Diane Kruger) he stalked her first, pursues her, dates her and they they fell in love. Everythings works fine, but somebody is jealous and devastated with their relationship without them knowing, Diane's bestfriend, (Rose Byrne) who's secretly obsessed with Josh.. As Josh asked Diane to move in with him, she told him to talk about it the next day..., but due to some circumstances, Josh didn't see or hear from her again! (as to what happened, you have to watch the movie) :)

Comment:

Watch it! you'll get confused at first.. (that's normal) but you'll like it!

I saw this just last night... I didn't really know this movie, I thought "National Treasure" is already showing... with no other choice, i watched this movie. On the first minutes, I realized my mistake. "puro flashbacks.. sana "TAXI" na lang pinanood ko!" but then, it's already late, so i spend my moneys worth, and stayed with the movie...

as you watched till the middle of the film, you'll put together the pieces of the puzzle (the flashbacks), it's not really boring after all, and u'll liked it. ...i think flashback is intended by the the director for the thrill, instead showing it right away what's going on!

The flaws of the movie maybe is the lack of "cellphone" communication :D ...they can never be separated or problems could be avoided if they had good communication! they just rely on messages on the paper or record on phone, which was destroyed and deleted by Rose Byrne.

IMHO, Rose Byrne is more gorgeous the blonde one, Diane Kruger, even though her face has luanched a thousand ships! (she's Helen in the movie "Troy")

Rating:

Worth your money - 7/10