• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

did anybody watch "hannibal rising"? I noticed that some watched leters from Iwo Jima. couldnt bring myself to watch that film after seeing some books about japanese abuses in asia, particularly in china (nanking?). and that movie made the japanese army look so heroic as if theyre the aggrieved party. but i guess during that time citizens of japan vowed to folow the emperor no matter what. or maybe its just another attempt by americans to see the war in the other person's perspective to gain some answers as to why a brutal senseless hate filled war began and lasted that long. so.... did anybody watch "hannibal rising"? :)

did anybody watch "hannibal rising"? I noticed that some watched leters from Iwo Jima. couldnt bring myself to watch that film after seeing some books about japanese abuses in asia, particularly in china (nanking?). and that movie made the japanese army look so heroic as if theyre the aggrieved party. but i guess during that time citizens of japan vowed to folow the emperor no matter what. or maybe its just another attempt by americans to see the war in the other person's perspective to gain some answers as to why a brutal senseless hate filled war began and lasted that long. so.... did anybody watch "hannibal rising"? :)

i did. screenplay and direction was ok although a bit dragging during the first half of the movie...at least the movie gave u a sense of hows and whys Dr. Hannibal Lectre became a serial monster that he was. :)

for martial arts afficionados, THE PROTECTOR (Honor of the Beast) is now available in DVD. After watching Muay Thai sensation Tony Jaa beat the hell out of his enemies, can't help remembering the late Bruce Lee in his first movie The Big Boss.

My rating :thumbsupsmiley:

post-22965-1173317877.jpg

Edited by Mandrake

Genre: Action | History | Drama

http://www.canmag.com/images/front/movies2007/300-poster3.jpg

Spartan King Leonidas

Casts:

Gerard Butler - King Leonidas

Lena Headey - Queen Gorgo

Rodrigo Santoro - Persian Emperor Xerxes 1

Synopsis:

300 is a film adaptation of the Battle of Thermopylae (480 BC) --- 300 finest Spartan armies, led by King Leonides versus the massive 1 million armies of the Persian Empire. (1M armies in the ancient world is a historical exaggeration, :D but half of that number is still overwhelming, considering their advanced weapons & experienced warriors).

Xerxes the Great, who considers himself the king of the world and god, sent an emissary to the Spartan king to submit his kingdom and kneel before him - or die. well, since the spartan king annihilated all Xerxes' messengers, :rolleyes: they have to prepare for a massive invision of the persian army.

The spartan king knew that it takes time to assemble greek armies for an imminent war, he has to delay the advance of persians by blocking and guarding a narrow passage, the only road that leads to his country.. he assembled his finest warriors of 300 men on that pass, against the might of persian empire.

...and the rest is history :cry:

Comment:

I like historical movies, although some of the scenes has the fantasy side, (because of the comic book adaptation) the fighting scenes are fantastic and the way it was presented in different angles, i have never seen that fight scenes before, the director deserve an award

i think some scenes are cut, (here in the Phils) because of sexual nature, and gory scenes! i'll definitely watch this again in the uncut version of DVD!

i love the Oracle girl! ..and the queen too! :wub: :D

http://www.canmag.com/images/front/movies2007/300-poster1.jpg

Kelly Craig - The Oracle Girl

8/10 stars! :cool:

All I can say is this….. watch it! watch it! watch it! Don’t even bother reading the rest of the review, just go and watch the damn movie! Read the rest of the review when your done watching the movie. Don’t wait for it on a pirated DVD stupid! Watch the damn thing in the big screen and have a blast.

So you’re back already? I was right wasn’t I? Didn’t I tell you, you’d love it?

Anyway, about 480 BC Sparta was threatened by annihilation by the Persian army under King Xerxes I (who considers himself both king and God of the modern world), unless their ruler King Leonidas submits to the Persian rule. Refusing to bow down to the Persian rule, the stubborn king kills all of the Persian emissaries and in the process angered a massive fleet out to annihilate all of sparta and Greece. Here’s the problem, it was against Greek traditions to go to war at that time of the year, and to top it off it took time for Greek forces and tribes to unite themselves and prepare for a massive battle that was upon them.

Knowing this, King Leonidas, assembled an all-sire(soldiers who had sons to carry on their blood line) unit of 300 men to block the northern entrance of sparta called “ The Hot gates”. This was a tactical location where the massive persian army could be funneled and could not outflank the overwhelmed spartan warriors.

Now one would think, how could 300 stand up against thousands of raging persian soldiers? Well obviously, 1.) Each member of the 300 all-sire unit were of the finest walking talking lean mean killing machines of sparta, 2.) They were all so courageous and valored that each of them was ready to fight to the death, 3.) Leonidas was a tactical genius and 4.) Most of the perisan soldiers were slaves not warriors. I remember Leonidas quoting to Xerxes, “Obviously you don’t know our women, had I known what you would put up here I might have just brought them here”.

If you are a history buff, you would realize that Frank Miller’s adaptation of the battle of Thermopylae was loyal to the historical accounts (unlike the forgettable Troy). In fact, by the time that the small Spartan force was wiped out, the Persian fleet suffered great losses disproportionate from those of Spartan’s. This heroic stand delayed the Persian army from attacking the vital locations of Greece, thus giving Greek force to organize their army for the battle of Plataea which eventually led to the repullsion of the persian conquerors from Greece.

OK enough history lessons, lets talk about the essentials of the movie. The story was loyal to historical accounts, the execution and pacing was done carefully, so that it would neither be too dragging nor to fast for us to appreciate Greek history, and Frank Miller’s vision. Gerard Buttler’s performance as King Leonidas, makes Russel Crowe’s portrayal of Maximus look like a cheap Cabaret act (In my humble opinion at least). He is so watchable that most of the time you could forgive flaws in the acting of the other characters. But this movie is neither about great acting nor great story. It’s about the kickass visuals that mimics the vision of graphic artist Frank Miller. Of course some sceneries and animal movements were CGI generated, that makes them look unrealistic at times, but who cares! It’s still fun to watch at it. The style of visualization, have managed to turn the explicit and gory scenes into fancy pieces of art visuals, making you feel that you are watching moving paintings in an art gallery.

And oh yeah kick ass fight and battle scenes that Alexander and troy would drool over. Plus the scoring made with rock and roll music, and the slow mo shots make it a slambanging-asskickin-great action flcik. But I won’t go to the details of that. Just go and watch the movie stupid!

All in all, I have to watch it again! 9.5/10

Favorite quotable quotes form Leonidas

1.) Madness? No this is not madness............. this is Spaaaaartaaaaaa!

2.) Spartans, This is where we fight, and this is where they die!

3.) Children, have a hearty breakfast for tonight we shall dine in hell!

P.S.

Now I know why they would brand slippers as "spartan"