The MOVIE REVIEW Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Click on titles for links to my full reviews:

"True enough, there are a number of sly winks to Raimi’s Evil Dead trilogy...In keeping to the PG-13 (US) rating, Raimi makes use of proper comic timing and a whole lot of tongue-in-cheek to punctuate the scares"

Drag Me to Hell

"Underneath all these explosions and (relatively mild) violence, McG forgot to provide characters that we could possibly sympathize with..."

Terminator: Salvation

• 2 weeks later...

Terminator Salvation (The complete review)

What makes epic sci fi action flick anyone? First you got to have cool special effects that have never been seen before. Second you got to have heroes youd be interested about. Third you got to have exciting action pieces, not just is a blow-em-up-smash-em-up kinda way but it has to have suspense, that is where all the excitement come from. And lastly, A director and a writer who has an awesome vision, imagination and creativity.

All of these were lacking in this new installment of the terminator series. The year is 2018, 15 years after skynet launched a nuclear attack against the entire human race, the machines have taken control, and its up to a group of a few rebels to take back control of the planet.... blah blah blah. Havent we seen these all before in the matrix trilogy installment? In fact many scenes felt borrowed from movies like mad max, the matrix, transformers, etc. Action scenes were too predictable and it had no suspense. The original terminator back in 1984 had crappy special effects. It was in fact a low budget sci fi. But even if you watch it to this day, it would still make you really scared watching arnold say "ill be back", and next thing you know he is gunning down every police officer in the station one by one. T2 was much bigger, because it actually made us scared of that melting dude. The biggest let down of this movie story wise is a justification why this movie should have been made in the first place. Not that T3 did not stink, but at least it felt like it was a terminator movie.

This is not a terminator movie. The movie is not about terminators, its about john connor, but even him is overshadowed by another insignificant character Marcus wright, tryong to fill in the shoes of arnold. This is one major point that the people behind the camera missed. People fell in love with the terminator character, not with John Connor. John Connor was merely a supporting cast this one. The one who takes the center stage is the terminator himself. So in as much as I hate to say it, I have to say it. I missed Arnold. Even though they attempted to resurrect him in this installment (perhaps realizing you cant make terminator movies without arnold in it), it just did not feel real. Thats the huge problem with most sci fi nowadays everything is just CGI, the beauty of T2 was that it only used CGI when it needed to.

And speaking of character development, there was not one character in this movie I could even emphatize or be scared with. In fact any of the main players could have died and I would not have given a damn about it. In the first place did we actually want to know how the future is like? How the T800 was created, how John Connor became the leader that brought victory to the human race and blah blah blah..... oh wait...... what am I talking about, these movie did not do any of that. Anyway what I was simply trying to say is that, we do not always neeed to know the origin of something. In fact part of the appeal comes from the enigma

Sorry folks but this one is a misfire. It will only satisfy people who want loud blow-em-up action, but all in all its unworthy to be even part of the terminator universe. Lets just and this series already, there is no more reason for it to exist.

Wolverine sucked (IMHO)! He definitely lost his mysterious I-don't-give-a-damn attitude that his loyal fans loved. They turned him into a lover? Bad move, very bad.

Not really..Wolverine is always a lover in all of the X-men movies that was shown. Also in comics and animation. He was infatuated with Jean Grey in X-men 1, even though he knows that she was Cylop's girl. We saw him still going at her in X-men 2 and he even cried when Jean Grey died. In X-men 3, Jean Grey now the Phoenix, nagdrama pa silang dalawa nung ending when he had to k*ll the Phoenix because of her destructive power. The comics and animation showed also this trait of Logan. There were many cartoon episodes where he seems weakened in the presence of Jean because he still in love with her. There were episodes in the cartoon wherein he is shown with different love interests. In Origins, Wolverines history traces back in Japan wherein he also had love interest in the name Mariko. Throughout Wolverines history, he had many girlfriends. Only they had the habit of ending up dead. He's love life is as tragic as they come, and that makes for some epic movie drama... PEACE..

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

For me it was better than the first one. Many robots where shown than the first one, the fight scenes of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee we're so cool (and bad ass! :thumbsupsmiley:)

More explosions and the scenes for me we're exciting and of course the special effects are still a top notch. I don't wanna go into details cause it will spoil the entire movie but I tell you this one's the best movie of the year for me. Well it could be me but it really is. :thumbsupsmiley:

watched revenge of the fallen.......

very nice movie great effects action scenes .megan fox is hot

9/10

di kolang gusto yung "fallen" storyline parang national treasure ekek...

well watched it in shangrila with my ehem.. enjoyed it

Edited by tenchi23
  • 2 weeks later...

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: kung nabasa nyo libro. mas maganda basahin ang libro, na bitin kasi ako sa movie. dapat sinama nila sa eksena yung emotional wake of ******** (asterisk ko lng para di spoiler for those who haven't read or seen the movie) where minotaurs, warlocks and wizards, the populace of hogwarts at yung kapatid na higante ni hagrid to give respect to the man himself. hays!

• 2 weeks later...

Adventureland is probably the best coming-of-age movie I've seen in years. Finely acted, wonderfully written and good soundtrack. IMO, Kristen Stewart is infinitely better here than in Twilight in terms of acting and looks. Plus, Ryan Reynolds proves he is a good actor.

Don't expect this to be as raunchy as Superbad but this is a film with laughs and heart.

Edited by clubber_lang

GI JOE...

jst watch the movie yesterday, its a pretty good action film but its not really over the top movie like transformers... Duke is a wimp! :thumbsdownsmiley: snake eyes was pretty cool as in bad ass cool :thumbsupsmiley:!

i guess its ok since Baroness was the bomb :upside: i like the movie coz of her!!!

post-219712-1249945912.jpg

Hangover - funniest movie of the year!

True that :cool: am quite surprised only a few of mah friends watched tis flick :lol: and only a few posters (like the dude who posted tis :lol:) mentioned bout it....

well, it might not be the funniest yet (it's far from December '09 hehe)...but should be one of the wackiest... should go right up there wit "Old School" of Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn and even "White Chicks" of the Wayans Bros :cool:

Bradley Cooper and Justin Bartha (who played just best friends to Matthew McConaughey (correct the spelling if it's wrong, hehe no time to Google) in "Failure to Launch") gets high marks in tis flick...of course it helps that the foxy Heather Graham was thefre...still hot booty even if she aged a bit in tis flick... the two other dudes (the married geeky guy and the weirdo fat boy) also got their comic aces herre.... plus Mike Tyson in a cameo :lol: sorry for the spoilers herre...but aint tellin' the endin' don't worry :lol:

me and mah MTC lady friend (too bad can't mention even her initials coz we have an agreement not to :lol:) took a chance on this flick (upon her suggestion, hehe) over "The Proposal" at Rob Place one weeknight and we're mighty glad we took that chance...very funny movie it is...wish am goin' to Vegas and get lucky :lol: but not that hung over, though :lol: