Apple iPhone

hmm. maybe you're right. i did some research and some people have trouble unlocking their iphone with the anysim app. i guess i'll wait some more.

Yes, I guess better to wait. There are news circulating that they might try to make an iPhone that is 3G-based which is an improvement to the slower EDGE-based iPhones. Problem is they have not found a solution to the power-hungry 3G chips, which for an iPhone is a big deal coz it is also an iPod.

Although in the Philippines, it won't matter much if it's EDGE-based or 3G-based since 3G hasn't really picked up. If it would be a 3G-iPhone, I hope the user can select between GSM only or GSM and 3G so as not to consume too much of the battery.

Yes, I guess better to wait. There are news circulating that they might try to make an iPhone that is 3G-based which is an improvement to the slower EDGE-based iPhones. Problem is they have not found a solution to the power-hungry 3G chips, which for an iPhone is a big deal coz it is also an iPod.

Although in the Philippines, it won't matter much if it's EDGE-based or 3G-based since 3G hasn't really picked up. If it would be a 3G-iPhone, I hope the user can select between GSM only or GSM and 3G so as not to consume too much of the battery.

Anam Semiconductors in Bicutan is already producing 3G GSM modules with Apple logos for their client, Infineon, the biggest producer (and IP owner) of GSM logic for mobile phones. What I'd like to know is of Apple will be going the same route it did in the US and UK where they partner with one provider and the deal is reportedly to include a share of the mobile phone revenue generated. This might mean that prepaid iPhones won't be available until later.

Anam Semiconductors in Bicutan is already producing 3G GSM modules with Apple logos for their client, Infineon, the biggest producer (and IP owner) of GSM logic for mobile phones. What I'd like to know is of Apple will be going the same route it did in the US and UK where they partner with one provider and the deal is reportedly to include a share of the mobile phone revenue generated. This might mean that prepaid iPhones won't be available until later.

Glad to know this.

As for Apple's strategy going into Asia, I hope that they do consider that the market demographics in Asia is dominantly Prepaid subs with only a few countries having a balance mix of Postpaid and Prepaid. Choosing one carrier to offer iPhones is limiting enough, selling it to Postpaid subs will further shrink their potential market.

hay ang mahal naman.. sana bumaba na iphone dito...

Based on my experience with how Apple sets pricing in Asia vs US and Euro pricing, you are looking at a range of P26k to P34k per unit because it will have additional features such as 3G, swappable SIMs, and perhaps larger memory. If it becomes a post-paid only product, the price can be lower.

The following article from http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/33071 is why I am just going to sit still and wait for the iPhone to get to Manila. It is one thing to compare the specs with say a feature-rich Nokia N95. It is another to be actually using these phones plus the fact that integration with a Mac really brings an iPhone into its own.

iPhone Obliterates Competition in Usability Test

Friday, September 21st, 2007 at 1:00 PM - by John Martellaro

The iPhone lived up to its hype in carefully conducted usability tests against the the Nokia N95 and an HTC Touch, according to Computerworld on Friday. Some testers couldn't even complete a phone call with the HTC Touch, a Windows Mobile device.

The HTC Touch isn't now available from U.S. carriers, but HTC still agreed to participate in the testing and said that it will be by the end of the year.

Perceptive Sciences conducted the test with ten people who had never used any of the three phones. Each was asked to perform a series of tasks,

and their performance was based on measurable data, such as the time it took to complete the task. The overall theme of the test was to determine

how easy it was to take the phone out of the box and start using it. Each phone was rated from 1 to 5 in several categories and also given an overall

score 1 to 5.

"People can eventually learn to use any device," research scientist Tim Ballew said. "But that's not true usability. We wanted to see how

long it took to figure out how to use the phones. That's the difference between learnability and usability."

The bottom line was that the iPhone blew away the competition. The iPhone scored 4.6, the HTC touch 3.4 and the Nokia 95 scored 3.2.

Testers were about twice as fast doing any task on the iPhone compared to the others. Mr. Ballew reported that some of the testers had trouble making a simple phone call on the HTC Touch. "That's pretty basic functionality, but we had people who couldn't complete a call at all," he said.

In the functionality category, the N95 won, but the price paid was loss in usability. For example, testers were faster and more successful getting to

a Web page with the iPhone. The conclusion was that there are tradeoffs between feature-richness and usability, and the iPhone clearly focused on

usability, ergonomics, and navigation, wining easily in all those categories.

Glad to know this.

As for Apple's strategy going into Asia, I hope that they do consider that the market demographics in Asia is dominantly Prepaid subs with only a few countries having a balance mix of Postpaid and Prepaid. Choosing one carrier to offer iPhones is limiting enough, selling it to Postpaid subs will further shrink their potential market.

I agree. But if that is the way they go, I would not mind either way. A postpaid only phone adds to its exclusivity.

Based on my experience with how Apple sets pricing in Asia vs US and Euro pricing, you are looking at a range of P26k to P34k per unit because it will have additional features such as 3G, swappable SIMs, and perhaps larger memory. If it becomes a post-paid only product, the price can be lower.

ung friend ko na kakilala ko sa greenhills sells it for 52K... wait na lang ako bumaba.. okay naman P1 ko eh :thumbsupsmiley:

The version 1.1.1 firmware upgrade seems to have bricked a lot of iphones. http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/27/iphone-...3rd-party-apps/

Personally if i do have plan to get an iphone (but in reality I don't really plan to get one), I would rather wait for the official release here. For that price I would rather make sure that it has warranty. Some people have the money just to have the first dip.

ung friend ko na kakilala ko sa greenhills sells it for 52K... wait na lang ako bumaba.. okay naman P1 ko eh :thumbsupsmiley:

Wow, ang mahal! My dad bought it at 28k. Same price as the ones sold in HK if converted to peso.

Haven't tinkered with the phone yet. Will give an amateur's review once I get my hands on it. Hehe!

Guest Leviticus

saw an article in TIMES about this iPhone (lumang issue ng TIMES). I have to admit the touchscreen feature is what sets this phone apart from the usual phones.

I was planning to get a nokia n-series but when I read the article naenganyohan ako with the iPhone

but willing to wait na lang by 2008 once this phone hits Asia. hirap na kasi kapag ngayon kukuha but hindi naman compatible with our present cellphone carriers.

saw an article in TIMES about this iPhone (lumang issue ng TIMES). I have to admit the touchscreen feature is what sets this phone apart from the usual phones.

I was planning to get a nokia n-series but when I read the article naenganyohan ako with the iPhone

but willing to wait na lang by 2008 once this phone hits Asia. hirap na kasi kapag ngayon kukuha but hindi naman compatible with our present cellphone carriers.

By that time it will probably be called something like "iPhone Extreme" with 3G and/or HSDPA access.

Guest Leviticus
By that time it will probably be called something like "iPhone Extreme" with 3G and/or HSDPA access.

hehe.. and baka may TV na rin siya; it's possible sa laki ng screen di ba? also, bilib ako dun sa demo where a webpage was accessed tapos BUONG webpage ang displayed sa screen. maliliit ang text but you can zoom to read the text. nasubukan ko na sa N70 to surf the internet and it's CRAP. inipit ang webpage sa maliit na screen.

come to think of it, the name "iPhone" is no longer appropriate for it; sa dami ng features nya this is essentially a portable computer and entertainment system that just so happen to have a phone installed in it.