Traffic Problem In Metro Manila (Merged Thread)

How media can help with the current traffic problem.

I’m sure there are people from media in this forum, so here goes:

1. Help in policing the police. Encourage people to video apprehensions then trace the tickets issued. If there are too many apprehensions which result only in warnings, consider this a red flag.
  2. Ask DPWH and the local government for a schedule of road repairs then check on the state of the roads to be repaired. Government procurement takes a long time, so please don’t buy the story that there is no schedule because it is an emergency. Even an emergency government procurement (by definition, one that involves possible loss of life or serious damage to property) can take weeks to accomplish (thanks to COA).
  3. At least for now, don’t contribute to the traffic by situating yourself on the main road in order to report on the traffic situation. Try to report on the traffic situation before and after your location.
  4. Also, at least for now, don’t exempt yourself from following traffic rules. Remove all those advertisements that identify you as media (holds true also for some lawyers, friends of the police and Malacanang, etc.). We all know what this is really for.

Think this is possible?

The mere fact that the president of the country has to be involved in solving a traffic on 23 km of road in its capital is an indication of the severity of the problem, and the lack of the government's urban planning.

The Management Association of the Philippines submitted position paper notes long ago that indicated enforcement (now ably being executed by the HPG) is only one small part of a complex equation. There are three elements to a short-term solution to the infernal traffic flow along Edsa: engineering, education and enforcement.

These three elements of traffic management are compounded by three larger factors: the severe deficiency in mass transit systems, unsustainable urban development practices and an ineffective governance structure in the metropolis.

Failure in engineering, education and enforcement might measure the shortcomings of the MMDA. Failure in resolving the larger factors mentioned above can only be a measure of total failure in national governance.

Needless to say, the utter failure of the DOTC to properly maintain the MRT, much less expand its capacity, is a major contributor to the congestion along EDSA. It did not help that when the traffic situation was beginning to worsen, President Aquino dismissed the problem as merely an indication of our improving economic performance. The worsening situation was not properly appreciated early enough. Now we have nothing short of an emergency in our streets.

MAP makes several medium- and long-term recommendations to improve traffic flow. Among these are: building new bridges across the Pasig River; resolve the issues standing in the way of building additional mass transit systems; require adherence to best-practices for mixed-use property development; building a high-capacity subway system underneath the entire length of Edsa; and, legislate the restructuring of governance in the metropolitan region.

Drastic reform must be done at some point – or else, we will be trapped in short-term fixes. Drastic reform, however, requires political will and a thorough grasp of the administrative solutions the situation requires. Those are not virtues of the Aquino administration. Thus, we may be in for a very long stressful dilemma.

No Garge - No Car policy

This is probably the best solution the government can give. I'm sorry for those who have cars but have no garage but having your car parked in the streets - occupying the other lane is illegal. If you can afford to buy a car, you should have thought of having a garage first.

Just my two cents in it.

No Garge - No Car policy

This is probably the best solution the government can give. I'm sorry for those who have cars but have no garage but having your car parked in the streets - occupying the other lane is illegal. If you can afford to buy a car, you should have thought of having a garage first.

Just my two cents in it.

Since madaming aangal sigurado maybe not as drastic ...we can start by implementing a strictly no parking during certain time of the day wherein during late evenings to early morning street parking will still be allowed (ie. from 9pm to 6am) This way its a win-win situation. People who owned a car and park on the street can continue to do so but they need to clear the streets in order that the streets may be free of any parked vehicles that will obstruct the flow of traffic as these streets/roads are utilize as alternate routes.

BTW hindi ako naniniwala na hindi kayang mabawasan ang mga sasakyan dumadaan sa edsa. Kung gugustuhin may mga paraan ... ang problema lang naman ay kung willing magsakripisyo ang bawa't isa at hindi yun pansariling kapakanan lang ang iniisip kaya tututol sa anumang gustong ipatupad.

I might be oversimplifying things but here are what I think are facts about our beloved metro manila:

1 too many cars. We tend to have too many cars at the same time on the road.

- solution: eliminate old cars by raising car registration prices as car get older. That's why we get so many Japanese cars shipped here because the Japanese find it cheaper to buy a new model rather than pay exorbitant prices to register their older car

2 mass transit sucks. Our trains are too few, too overcrowded and too short (as in kulang ng cars). Trains and tracks and stations are not maintained.

-solution: fix, upgrade and increase number of trains. Make it more attractive for people to ride it than their cars

3 buses, jeeps and tricycles are unregulated. Thus there's too many of them on the road.

-solution: regulate number of puvs

4 lack of driver education. What do you expect when our drivers do not know basic courtesy on the road or etiquette of the street?

-solution: revamp lto rules and procedures to getting a license. Make it more of a process than the joke it is now.

My two cents. I'm sure it will be unpopular (especially number 1), pero I really feel this is the way to go.

*bow*

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Tolentino for reinforcing my belief that the biggest problem are the traffic managers. Anti-wire tapping ba talaga to come up with some proof of corruption? So what about the numerous MMDA cameras that take our pictures? Mamya mahuli pa tayo ni misis pag nakita kotse natin. What is worse wire tapping? Buti nga na video yung "gift" na dancers

• 2 weeks later...

http://jamesdeakin.ph/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/brt-basics-e1442335157735.jpg

Could the solution to EDSA traffic be removing the MRT?

Thanks for this. This is also what I've been advocating - BRT here in metro manila. This will serve as a very good alternative to MRT which, for most of us, is a very critical public transportation mode dito. Marami nagsa-suggest na magdagdag ng coach, ayusin ang mga tren, which shows marami ang gustong gumamit nito kundi lang palaging sira, because kung wala ito, people will be forced to take the transpo along edsa which are the hellish buses.

BRT, because it is a lot simpler than MRT, will be a lot easier to create around MM. Ang kelangan mo lang ay buses, dedicated lanes, kahit makeshift stations for now, and off you go! Di mo kelangan maghukay, maglatag ng riles, maglatag ng katakot-takot na electric lines, pati bulky trains at ang nakakabaliw na maintenance nito. All these logistics will not be needed. Mas marami kang magagawang BRT sa Manila. Sa ngayon iilan lang ang MRT lines natin (3 lang) along major arteries. With BRT we can cover more major arteries dito sa manila, and therefore more network of BRT routes. Mas maikakalat mo ngayon itong mga sumasakay ng MRT among these BRT routes rather than siksikan silang lahat sa MRT lang.

Some of you might say, the dedicated lines will be at the expense of private motorist, or public buses, etc. That's the point! You intentionally make it tougher for people to use private vehicles, and easier for them to use public transpo c/o BRT. What do you expect people to do? They will realize that BRT is more beneficial at ito ang kukunin nila! Their behavior has been altered. Kung dati mas gusto nila bili agad kotse, ngayon mas pipiliin nila mag-commute. Yun ang gusto natin, mabawasan ang sasakyan sa kalsada. In the end, para tumakbo ang ekonomiya natin, what we need to move from one place to another are not more cars, but more people. Yun ang principle behind BRT at maging carpooling.

But if we want a long-term systemic fix, we must FEDERALIZE the country.

Na late na kasi ang train development. Masyado concentrated on roads which benefit a few. Trains have the most effect on moving people

Bus rapid transit or BRT na lang compared to trains. Same purpose pero easier to build, requires lesser resources, simpler to maintain, etc. Proven na effective public transpo from experiences around the world. Buti pa Cebu gumagawa na sila nito.

Encourage people to use public transportation through laws and expensive automobile ( :D) like in Japan where even middle class folks use public transpo. Madali kasi makakuha na ng sasakyan dito sa Pinas.

You can't expect to encourage car-riding public to use public transpo with its current status - MRT is a horrible mess, both buses and jeepneys crowd and choke our highways, plus you're more likely to get late to your destination riding it. Walang incentive or any benefit sa kanila. Trapik na nga yung sasakyan nya. Para syang aalis mula sa nagbabagang apoy pero lilipat naman papuntang lava. But I agree to make it a requirement for incoming car owners to have a garage space before they have their own cars.

Case in mind: naalala ko yung napakatalinong suggestion ni Noy2 just this August lang, na ibalik daw ang odd-even coding, para mabawasan ng 50% ang mga sasakyan sa daan. Yun lang, basta daw mabawasan, di bale nang lalong magsiksikan sa MRT yung mga di makapagkotse. Di ba nya naisip na sa sobrang hirap ng public transpo that the car owners would rather get another (most likely pre-owned) car para lang makaiwas sa odd-even at sa horrible public transpo natin? Ayun manganganak lang ang dami ng sasakyan, lalo pang lalala ang trapik in the future.

My point is just barring them from using their existing vehicles will most likely won't work because they will just find another way (that the policy makers didn't expect). If the gov't want the people to take a certain path or behavior (in this case taking a public transpo) then give them incentives to it, and provide disincentives to those taking the undesired behavior (using their private cars).

more public transportation should be implemented, we can also use the rivers.

Agree as for the rivers, yun lang di nya nadadaanan ang most parts ng maynila. but well, we can still use it.

Build a lot more trains and subways.

Madali sabihin....pero practically, napakalaking undertaking ang maglagay ng tren pati maghukay. by the time magawa yan (kung gawin man) nadagdagan na naman ng maraming sasakyan sa kalsada.

Sana someone in government who can make a difference realizes that:

1. The traffic managers themselves may be the major problem. Let's start with who really is in charge? There is the DOTC, through the LTO. Then there is the MMDA Law. And the Local Government Code. Where does the buck end? Then there are the driver's manual from National Book Store. Can these publications be used as reference in a traffic court? In the US and Canada, there is such a manual given for free. We're not rich so why can't the DOTC or whoever is really in charge sell such a manual? Too hard for an Annapolis graduate to fathom?

2. Does the government really think that people would much rather go through hours of traffic; minutes of finding a parking space in Makati, ; then paying a high parking fee; rather than take the MRT if only they could, like in Hongkong or Singapore?

Or lahat nito, kasalanan pa din ni Marcos and Gloria?

Traffic solution? More people should bike! Less traffic, better health and cheaper transportation. Here's to wishing our government invests in bike lanes, tax incentives for bike purchases and more bike friendly parking!

If this was Europe, I'd agree with you. Here? You might as well wear a shirt that says "Sagasaan niyo ako!".

there are a lot of causes of traffic here in our country... here are a few of what i think, same as our government, driving methods and situations here in our country are dysfuntional....

-undisciplined motorists... no road courtesy... mahirap din naman ang maging sample ng me road courtesy... pag me pinasingit ka yari ka... unlike sa ibang bansa na kung me pinasingit ka, ikaw na ang susunod na parang me respeto sa pila... dito hindi ka na papa-pasukin ng mga sumisingit sa iyo... sorry ka na lang kaya mahirap na din siguro magka road courtesy dito...

-poor public transports... jeepneys... buses... tricycle... sidecar... yung pagiging sobrang dami nila ang walang disiplina... kasama na dito ang hindi efficient na LRTs MRTs natin....

-road hassles... included dito ang mga magkakariton... mga vendors na nakaharang sa kalsada...

-trucks, containers, delivery vans na parang sobrang laki ng kalsada... pag hindi mo naman ipapabyahe ito hindi din pwe pwede dahil sa ating economy...

-overvolume ng motor vehicles & passengers of public transport...

-overpopulation...

Solutions:

hindi ganun kadali gawan ng solution ito... coordinated effort kasi ito... tulad ng undisciplined motorist... although alam natin na dapat magkaroon ng road courtesy pero karamihan sa atin (kundi lahat) ay hindi magpapasingit sa harap natin dahil tuloy tuloy na tayong sisingitan yung mga kasunod... one thing pa, same din sa una, hinaharangan natin yung ibang intersection or corners pagka traffic kaya ito din ang nagca cause ng traffic sa kabilang corner or intersection... to begin with, at sa tingin ko malaki ang i-improvin ng driving condition sa atin ay magkaroon ng disiplina at road courtesy... pero sa tingin ko wishful thinking lang ito...

yung sa public transport na tulad sa mga MRTs LRTs... trabaho ng gobyerno yan na gawin pang mas efficient yan..

yung magkakariton, sidecar, hindi naman yata kayang ipagbawal dito yan dahil way of life na yan.. (dysfuntional)

jeepney and buses- overvolume din yan... lalo na pag hindi puno... dahan dahan tatakbo silang lahat at gagawing terminal ang mga sakayan para mapuno sila ng pasahero..

maybe there are a lot of things pa na hindi ko na mention... pero just the same, sa tingin ko malabong gawan ng solusyon ang traffic problem natin...

• 4 weeks later...