What Is Your Purpose In Life?

I wish I knew. It would make my life seem more cinematic and Purposeful.

As opposed to the reality I wake up to everyday, which come to think of it isn't that bad. I got it, maybe my Purpose is to be Grateful for waking up. But, I might be in the wrong forum for this realization... :goatee:

i read this in anne rice's servant of the bones, and i think it fits this discussion perfectly.

There is one purpose to life and one only: to bear witness to and understand as much as possible of the complexity of the world -- its beauty, its mysteries, its riddles. The more you understand, the more you look, the greater is your enjoyment of life and your sense of peace. That's all there is to it. Everything else is fun and games. If an activity is not grounded on "to love" or "to learn," it does not have value.

isn't that a very beautiful thing to say?

perhaps the purpose of living is to make things better, not only for ourselves, but also for those who surround us.

so that when we are finally laid to our rest, we may be remembered as someone who tried [at the very least], to make this world a better place to live in.

i, on the otherhand, don't want to milk my brains dry trying to figure out the essence of whatever organism.

let the scientists do their job.

• 2 weeks later...

We exist as part of a complex equation which creates balance in the universe. Like every cell in our body serves a purpose, so does every person contribute in the grand scheme of things. No matter how infinitesimal, no matter how insignificant we think one life will make in a million years, it was meant to be. Doing whatever comes naturally is exactly what you're supposed to be doing---because you're you.

Purpose in Life? I could be very Existential about it... I could also be very lay man about it also. For me it all depends on how I see life at one point or the other. Sometimes, I see my purpose as reaching my full potential, of harnessing my talents before I expire from this world. After all, when I go, what else is there to remember me by? I could also be so poetic about it as to be so in love that my purpose is to love my darling and dearest mate. I could also be religious and utterly say that my purpose is to love God. I guess it all depends on what mood I am in when I ponder about it. On the whole, all of them can be lumped together for they dont conflict with each other.

I've read the Purpose Driven Life of Rick Warren and I fully  agree that we were created for the single purpose of serving God.

What I believe that is very essential here is that when people know where they are going, why they are going there, what they will be doing when they get there and how do they get there, then all else falls into place. What is the joy of the journey however is the discovering of our basic and true purpose of our existence. It may at one point or the other very damn confusing. We may go about it like the Existentialist or we can be pragmatic about it. As one philosopher quiped, if the theory doesn't work scrap it and settle for one that will explain your situation. We all view the world through different eyeglasses and paradigms. What is essential at the end of the day is we have achieved what we believe is the very purpose of our life. :)

There is no real infinite purpose in life? The world is gonna end right, If it ends tomorrow or in the dissistant future everything that everyone has ever done would have been for nothing?

I guess our only finite purpose is to feel life and and cherish every second that has been given to us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.....

There's a saying that goes like this....

We are all Spiritual Beings experiencing Human experience....

and by the end of the day, we all have to face the Divine Creator.

I think this is the Purpose of our Existence.

it means, we have to undergo pains and tears...

so that we will learn from this experiences...Move on and become a Better Human Being.

To let our Higher Consciosness Guide our Life in every way of the day

• 1 month later...

Every living things on earth has its own purpose. Insects are created to serve as food for the birds and other insect eating animals. Snakes are created to eat rats which brings pest and disease to human kind. Just like you and I, we all have purpose in life. Wether significant or not, we all live to serve a purpose in life. Heroes are born to sacrifice their lives for freedom, Monsters like terrorist are born to scare the world, and I was born to be alive and k*ll myself to live ??? Ano ba yan !!!