Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

It sounds like you're laying down too much in. What model HP printer are you using and what paper?

Have you matched the ink to the paper? Matte paper should dry very quickly. Have you profiled your printer and paper?

Business card paper is NOT right for good images. You should be looking at photo printing papers. bit more expensive, I know, but if you want good to excellent image quality that's what you should use.

Printing graphics is different from printing images. Images require less ink in oder to get the subtle tones. Papers meant for graphic printing will NOT produce good images unless you half-tone the images first. But then you lose resolution and the images don't look good.

Only got one printer at home, a standard HP (2640 series) but I don't think the model has anything to do with it. And I have already tried printing on draft and best quality - same thing, the ink just won't thoroughly dry up. I even used expensive and cheap photo papers also the same. I don't have a problem with the quality of my images regardless if I do a full page or cropped (RGB or CMYK). It's just that the ink don't stick well or maybe that's just the way it is especially since photo papers are kind of glossy in the first place.

Only got one printer at home, a standard HP (2640 series) but I don't think the model has anything to do with it. And I have already tried printing on draft and best quality - same thing, the ink just won't thoroughly dry up. I even used expensive and cheap photo papers also the same. I don't have a problem with the quality of my images regardless if I do a full page or cropped (RGB or CMYK). It's just that the ink don't stick well or maybe that's just the way it is especially since photo papers are kind of glossy in the first place.

Are you using HP inks or some 3rd party brand? Sometimes that's the problem.

I am using Epson inks right now (and Canon inks in my small Canon printer) and I have no problem with inks drying.

My wife has an older HP and the HP inks on that seem to dry quickly enough as well regardless of the paper used.

Are you using HP inks or some 3rd party brand? Sometimes that's the problem.

I am using Epson inks right now (and Canon inks in my small Canon printer) and I have no problem with inks drying.

My wife has an older HP and the HP inks on that seem to dry quickly enough as well regardless of the paper used.

yep, only using genuine HP cartridges only...i should've went through with my plan to put up a photo book before when i had the chance, saved me the hassle of dealing with the printing.

• 2 weeks later...

got a very nice topic which one do you like using printer with a actual count of limit to be printed or the one that they called continuous ink?

I don't print enough to justify the continuous feed inks. Also, I get better consistency with the Epson inks.

I still check the profile with every new batch of inks and papers, but so far the differences have been negligible.

At the cost of even more spending, I highly recommend a fully managed color workflow, starting with a calibrated monitor all the way to a profiled printer. I use a Colormunki and it seems to do a reasonably good job of profiling the printer. Still a bit off and I need to make adjustments going from screen to print, but it's a very small adjustment.

GF - it sounds like you are laying down way too much ink. Is there a setting in the printer driver to regulate the amount of ink? My wife's printer has been out of commission for a several weeks now and I need to get a MacOSX driver for it so I can profile it. She uses a Windoze machine.

I just printed on glossy paper using both my Epson and my Canon. No issues with print drying. There is some drying time but it's related more to letting the inks settle and the color to stabilize, not smearing. When profiling my printers I wait 10 minutes before measuring the Color on the paper to make sure the colors stop changing.

^i've actually figured out that the problem is that my images are using too much color. Most of my images were post processed on my mac which gives vibrance to the colors (monitor is calibrated as default RGB) so that's why it uses too much when printed. If I used my windows machine to process my photos, the colors comes washed out.

Never got around to it anymore as most of my shots are old so I just decided to keep them as digital.

^i've actually figured out that the problem is that my images are using too much color. Most of my images were post processed on my mac which gives vibrance to the colors (monitor is calibrated as default RGB) so that's why it uses too much when printed. If I used my windows machine to process my photos, the colors comes washed out.

Never got around to it anymore as most of my shots are old so I just decided to keep them as digital.

I make it point to ALWAYS calibrate my monitor. The Mac has a simple calibration function built into the Display tab of System Preferences. If nothing else, do that. But best find someone who has a Spyder or a Colormunki. Set your screen to D65. Alternatively, you would set gamma to no more than 2.2. I've used 1.8 in the past because I found it gave me truer colors. That way you completely avoid the problem.

I make it point to ALWAYS calibrate my monitor. The Mac has a simple calibration function built into the Display tab of System Preferences. If nothing else, do that. But best find someone who has a Spyder or a Colormunki. Set your screen to D65. Alternatively, you would set gamma to no more than 2.2. I've used 1.8 in the past because I found it gave me truer colors. That way you completely avoid the problem.

if you are in the photo 'business' it is very BASIC to have at least a calibrated monitor. and if you personally print, then calibrate that also.

all the great images you capture, and eventually share (or print) are useless if on the other end (the viewer) will not be able to appreciate it fully because of some discrepancy in colors.

now, for those na walang spyder or calibration systems, here's what some of my friends do: they calibrate their screens using the image on one of their iDevices. now, i can't verify the veracity of the claims of color on iDevices, but it's worth a try din siguro.

• 3 months later...

if i could only afford to buy an expensive DSLR

Why do you need one? The camera is only a tool. A fancier camera won't make you a better photographer, only one with less money. Some of the best photos I've seen recently came off iPhones. and some of the worst from a Canon 5D.

Learn to make the most of what you have first, then as you upgrade your gear, you will find it easier to produce good images. otherwise all you have is GAS. (That stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome.)

• Like (+1) 2

Following up my last reply - see if you can tell me which was shot with the DSLR and which with a rangefinder-type camera.

Visited Yosemite a couple of weeks ago, hoping for an overnight snowfall to dust the trees with snow. Nope, didn't happen....but i did get off a few shots anyway.

post-33551-0-37829800-1453745742_thumb.jpg

Yosemite Falls in the rain

post-33551-0-83320000-1453745748_thumb.jpg

Half Dome Dawn

post-33551-0-19274400-1453745754_thumb.jpg

Meadow

post-33551-0-59931900-1453745761_thumb.jpg

Merced River

Edited by agxo3
  • Like (+1) 2
  • 1 month later...

Scanning old negatives. This one is from 1999. shot with a Hasselblad 500CM, 80mm lens.

Mono Lake, CA. This scene is gone. Water levels have been allowed to rise again so most of this tufa formation is now under water. No more peninsula - just a few spires ticking up above the surface of the lake.

This is a low res image scanned from a 6cm x 6cm negative. TriX400.

post-33551-0-69295900-1456512595_thumb.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...