Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

most photographers start with landscapes or cityscapes.

hello! can anyone recommend a good subject to start in photography? I just want to test the water first before i go on a full dive. I have a spare time for this year to try and do some relaxation stuff.

^pretty impressive shots for an amazing locale filled with history... :ohmy:

Thanks, GF.

Amazing place, indeed! I never saw so many marble staircases in one place in all my life! Not even in old Manila. It seemed like every crumbling old building had a marble staircase.

post-33551-0-82894500-1441060513_thumb.jpg

But everywhere was a burst of color.

post-33551-0-87774000-1441060723_thumb.jpg

Some bright, some more pastel.

post-33551-0-97933100-1441060922_thumb.jpg

its an incredibly vibrant place.

^got any mural shots of che guevara in there? :rolleyes:

Nope. I consciously stayed away from the "everyone shoots that" subject whenever I could. But reminders of the revolution are everywhere.

Such as a Fidel quote on the wall of a crumbling hotel converted to housing.

post-33551-0-27368700-1441321979_thumb.jpg

José Marti is much more ubiquitous, in gardens......

post-33551-0-61269800-1441322026_thumb.jpg

and on walls everywhere.

post-33551-0-32790100-1441322216_thumb.jpg

But if you look hard enough you can convince yourself that Che lurks in the most mundane of places. Like in this image of peeling paint and mold stains.

post-33551-0-15311500-1441322132_thumb.jpg

Any tip for me kasi takot pa akong mag Lagan ng shadows sa photo ko.how do I know if it is an ok shadow?

Every image has light and dark. The shadows are part of the dark.

The questions I ask myself about a shadow are:

1) does the shadow placement and depth contribute to the content and aesthetic of the image?

2) is the shadow consistent with the image as a whole?

3) does the shadow obscure an element of the image that I want to highlight?

a. If yes, then you need to lighten it up - either by casting more light in that part of the scene, or in post-processing.

b. if not, is it too bright and distracting, so it may need to be brought down?

c. If not a or b - leave it alone!!!

In short - if it looks good to you, it's ok. If not, do something about it!

Edited by agxo3

Nope. I consciously stayed away from the "everyone shoots that" subject whenever I could. But reminders of the revolution are everywhere.

Such as a Fidel quote on the wall of a crumbling hotel converted to housing.

haha...i hear you..but any shots done in cuba is something out of the ordinary, a place that so much history :D

if it looks good to you, it's ok. If not, do something about it!

^This. And that is all there is to it, really.

Edited by glut_func

haha...i hear you..but any shots done in cuba is something out of the ordinary, a place that so much history :D

What was surprising was that there were not as many Ché images as I would have expected. I missed a really good shot - on the road in from the airport there are two building that have neon images of José Marti and Ché. Saw them on my way into Havana but didn't get back out there to shoot before I left. Made a note of it - will definitely shoot there next time I go to Cuba.

Viva Cuba libre!

post-33551-0-60634300-1441387218_thumb.jpg

From the tropics to the land of the midnight sun. 2015 has been a great travel year for me.

Eddington Rock

post-33551-0-05088400-1441388125_thumb.jpg

Cruising the Misty Fjords

post-33551-0-39134700-1441388137_thumb.jpg

post-33551-0-34032000-1441388150_thumb.jpg

post-33551-0-65685100-1441388166_thumb.jpg

Walking on a glacier.You can't reproduce that blue in print or on the monitor. It's the purest, bluest blue I've ever seen.

post-33551-0-75951200-1441388180_thumb.jpg

"Downtown" Skagway. Quite surprisingly, we found a really good Filipino restaurant here!

post-33551-0-75091500-1441388192_thumb.jpg

Gnarly trees above Carcross, B.C.

post-33551-0-25814000-1441388206_thumb.jpg

^i dont mean to pry but how come you dont watermark your shots? :rolleyes: you could really make use of those and frame them up at home.

I do print and frame them up to hang at home. And I give them out as XMas presents. Those are signed.

I feel that watermarking the conventional way adds an element to the image that I find distracting and sometimes destructive to the image. These images I just posted are not watermarked because I'm still working on them, but there are ways to embed a hidden watermark.

^what printer and paper material do you use to print your shots? i tried printing them on conventional photo paper kaso ang tagal matuyo agad. Ayoko naman magpa-print sa labas kasi mas mahal. I was planning to do a photo book before nung nasa abroad pa ko but i never got around to it. :unsure:

I've tried a couple of photo books - Artisan State and Adoramapix. I like Artisan State because it's much heavier stock. And a true lay-flat book. Both allow wrap-around hard covers and inside spreads. Print quality is better (slightly) with Adoramapix. I feel like Artisan State prints about a half-stop darker than I expect.

I have an Epson R2880 and for most printing I use Epson Ultra Premium Luster. I have a couple of specialty papers and some roll paper from some other suppliers for specialty printing like a heavyweight matte and roll paper for panoramas.

I don't like the other papers I've tried. Not a fan of the Canon, HP and Kodak papers. I have some Japanese paper that I haven't tried yet.

Edited by agxo3

^i only got HP printer at home, I also tried printing on matte but the ink doesn't thoroughly dries up. Looks like I'm gonna have to try printing on those specialty papers for business cards - those materials appears to hold the ink much better.

It sounds like you're laying down too much in. What model HP printer are you using and what paper?

Have you matched the ink to the paper? Matte paper should dry very quickly. Have you profiled your printer and paper?

Business card paper is NOT right for good images. You should be looking at photo printing papers. bit more expensive, I know, but if you want good to excellent image quality that's what you should use.

Printing graphics is different from printing images. Images require less ink in oder to get the subtle tones. Papers meant for graphic printing will NOT produce good images unless you half-tone the images first. But then you lose resolution and the images don't look good.