Martial Arts

Corkscrew

I started out with Jeet Kune Do, then trained TKD back in college. Though I don't like TKD, I became more agile and gained faster kicks. Then trained BJJ and greco-roman wrestling with submission sport philippines.. then I did Muay Thai. I was fortunate enough to get all those training for free since the trainers were good friends of mine. Then work came in and had to stop everything.

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic. anyway i'm into taekwondo i became a member of my school's taekwondo team back in GS to 1st year HS... however i haven't practice this MA for a very long time. im sure i will easily get tired if i try to practice it again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm most of what I do is cardio boxing hehehe. Lampa ko no?

Fight fan naman ako, pero wala naman akong hilig sa trobol. Pero If I could I wanna take up some martial arts lesson. Not really for the sake of self-defense. I just wanna develop better focus, concentration, and stillness. Yeah stillness! May anxiety issues kasi ako eh.

Suggestion naman dyan mga parekoy

Hmmm most of what I do is cardio boxing hehehe. Lampa ko no?

Fight fan naman ako, pero wala naman akong hilig sa trobol. Pero If I could I wanna take up some martial arts lesson. Not really for the sake of self-defense. I just wanna develop better focus, concentration, and stillness. Yeah stillness! May anxiety issues kasi ako eh.

Suggestion naman dyan mga parekoy

boxing is awesome for that ... and jiujitsu.

try to avoid tournament hungry gyms, cause your ass is gonna get whooped there. try going to casual gyms with level-headed guys who SPAR ALL THE TIME. sparring is very important if you want to learn focus and relaxation. yun nga lang, with most tournament hungry gym, you will be going against guys who want to crush you, because that is what they want to do come competition day.

with level-headed non-tournament gyms, you are after skill development at your own pace... there are also bigger chances for you to find guys that will spar with you at your level.

boxing is awesome for that ... and jiujitsu.

try to avoid tournament hungry gyms, cause your ass is gonna get whooped there. try going to casual gyms with level-headed guys who SPAR ALL THE TIME. sparring is very important if you want to learn focus and relaxation. yun nga lang, with most tournament hungry gym, you will be going against guys who want to crush you, because that is what they want to do come competition day.

with level-headed non-tournament gyms, you are after skill development at your own pace... there are also bigger chances for you to find guys that will spar with you at your level.

I wanted to learn grapling sana, kaso talagang hindi maganda flexibility ng anatomy ko for it.

Actually, I dont mind sparring every now and then. I used to spar a little. Sparring teaches you attitude of patience. Kasi huwag ka dapat mapipikon pag napupuruhan ka lagi. At kung kaya mo maging mas mapagpasensya sa taong sinusuntok ka sa sikmura at ilong, mas nagagawa mong maging mapagpasensya sa ibang tao sa labas ng gym. Tsaka iba din kasi yung level ng sportsmanship na after nyo magsapakan, magkakamayan at magaakapan pa kayo.

Yun nga lang, I was too sissy to want a boxers nose. lol. So I just stuck to the basic drills to have better cardio. Yeah I guess you are right, I am not really looking forward for any competitive fighting. Just something I guess to develop external and internal discipline.

Edited by Edmund Dantes

I wanted to learn grapling sana, kaso talagang hindi maganda flexibility ng anatomy ko for it.

Actually, I dont mind sparring every now and then. I used to spar a little. Sparring teaches you attitude of patience. Kasi huwag ka dapat mapipikon pag napupuruhan ka lagi. At kung kaya mo maging mas mapagpasensya sa taong sinusuntok ka sa sikmura at ilong, mas nagagawa mong maging mapagpasensya sa ibang tao sa labas ng gym. Tsaka iba din kasi yung level ng sportsmanship na after nyo magsapakan, magkakamayan at magaakapan pa kayo.

Yun nga lang, I was too sissy to want a boxers nose. lol. So I just stuck to the basic drills to have better cardio. Yeah I guess you are right, I am not really looking forward for any competitive fighting. Just something I guess to develop external and internal discipline.

you are learning grappling for fitness, and discipline. you can learn the lot even if you lose all your matches. it is not as scary as boxing since you can always tap out. the good thing with grappling is that you can spar all you want, and not get as stressed compared to striking arts. however, i noticed some guys just dont wanna hold on to other guys, or are iffy with sweat and stuff.

you wont get a boxer's nose. you are just nervous of stepping into the ring, probably because you had a bad experience with someone who was trying to destroy you (we all have that experience).

try getting over that fear ... it would be easier if you sparred with someone you can be friends with. i made a lot of good friends with sparring. most beginners like me as a sparring mate too. i talk to them and teach them while allowing them to hit me, just so they can get a better feel out of it and learn to deal with adrenaline surges.

• 2 weeks later...

Judo. 2nd Degree Black belt. 14 years Judo Practitioner. Participated in national and regional tournaments. takedowns and ground works are integrated in Judo. Judo is not just a sport and a martial art. It is also a philosophy. Please check this link for more information about Judo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo.

Other than U.P. Diliman, are there any schools w/c offer Judo classes in Quezon City?