Build A Model Body!

I think you have a great regimen if your goal is generally to be fit and healthy. But train 7 days a week?!?! You my friend are overtraining big time. Please don't forget about that muscle grows outside the gym. Have a day or 2 of rest and you'll be fine. You are taxing your body too much for it to recover and grow.

hmm, you're right. maybe I should space my Upper Body and Lower Body workout days. But I think I should still retain my daily midsection and aerobic work, then the crosstraining on sunday.

Thanks for the advice, saer!

---edit---

also, I worry about my egg and protein intake. is there a way to protect your liver and kidneys having such a diet requiring protein? this is during training season only. during competition season, I go carbo-loading naman.

you already answered this in the Diet thread. the answer is water intake. thanks!

Edited by jay_lanz

How do I focus on growing my arms more without compensating on my torso? I'm currently using stronglifts.com's 5x5 program (Modified Rippetoe 5x5) and I'm happy to say that it did give me results that I want but my arms still lack the size. My two core arm exercises right now are Dips for the triceps and Chin ups (Palm facing you) for the biceps. Done in 2 - 3 sets of 8-10 reps. My current dip is BW + 15lbs. and my current chinup is BW + 5lbs.

Here's my workout including the weight

Workout A

Squat - 70kg 72.5kg 75kg 75kg 75kg 5x5

Bench Press - 50kg 52.5kg 55kg 57.5kg 60kg 60kg 5x5

Barbell Rows - 50kg 52.5kg 55kg 57.5kg 60kg 60kg 5x5

Dips - BW + 15lbs 3x8-10

Chin ups - BW + 5lbs 2x8

Workout B

Squat - 70kg 72.5kg 75kg 77.5kg 80kg 80kg 5x5

Military Press - 35kg 35kg 35kg 37.5kg 37.5kg 5x5 (My military press sucks right now :()

Deadlift - 90kg 1x5

Chin ups - BW + 5lbs 3x8

Dips - BW + 15lbs 2x8-10

Thanks for the reply, saer. Quality over quantity, hmm. I think it will be more on power training this way than speed/endurance training with muscle definition which I'm after. Could you expound further pls? What do you mean by focusing on basic compound lifts-- like benchpresses, military press, etc.? I think you're suggesting also that I divide my workout program to 3 days x 2 per week +sunday rather than 2 days x 3 per week + sunday, so I focus more on specific sections per day. Did I understand it correctly?

If you don't have the basic foundation of strength, it would be counter productive to focus on speed training to begin with. You need to have the "horsepower" if you wanna generate a good amount of force.

Endurance training can be covered by your specific skill work which is your focus.

Definition will be achieved by cleaning up your diet.

You only need to strength train 3x/wk with a day of rest in between workouts.

I think this is intended for fast muscle mass gain (bodybuilding) and power training. thanks for this, I will definitely try such program when I shift to strength training

The program was intended to give you a solid foundation so you will be ready for the more advanced programs in the future.

Bodybuilding is but semantic. You can only call someone a bodybuilder once he has stepped on the stage and competed in a bodybuilding show. Other than that, you are just a guy who lifts weights.

How do I focus on growing my arms more without compensating on my torso? I'm currently using stronglifts.com's 5x5 program (Modified Rippetoe 5x5) and I'm happy to say that it did give me results that I want but my arms still lack the size. My two core arm exercises right now are Dips for the triceps and Chin ups (Palm facing you) for the biceps. Done in 2 - 3 sets of 8-10 reps. My current dip is BW + 15lbs. and my current chinup is BW + 5lbs.

Here's my workout including the weight

Workout A

Squat - 70kg 72.5kg 75kg 75kg 75kg 5x5

Bench Press - 50kg 52.5kg 55kg 57.5kg 60kg 60kg 5x5

Barbell Rows - 50kg 52.5kg 55kg 57.5kg 60kg 60kg 5x5

Dips - BW + 15lbs 3x8-10

Chin ups - BW + 5lbs 2x8

Workout B

Squat - 70kg 72.5kg 75kg 77.5kg 80kg 80kg 5x5

Military Press - 35kg 35kg 35kg 37.5kg 37.5kg 5x5 (My military press sucks right now sad.gif)

Deadlift - 90kg 1x5

Chin ups - BW + 5lbs 3x8

Dips - BW + 15lbs 2x8-10

Simple answer. Once you add a significant amount of weight to what you can do for military press, dips, pullups and rows, you'll be surprised how much size you can add to your arms

Please critique my current program.

Fitness Goal for the next 6 months: I dont want to get buffed up too much since it will slow me down in my sport. I want to maintain my speed, and be well-toned overall but have my pecs, delts, shoulders, sides, and gastrocs ripped. So, my program focuses on power, speed, and endurance which involves more reps than more weights. My metabolism is average to above average, I think. With these in mind, here is my program...

sir, didn't i meet you at another thread? :lol:

i didn't quote the program to avoid flooding. first of all, nice diet. if you can stick to it, good. personally, i just go with my instincts. i eat about 9 times a day. i'm a really picky eater (as they say in that virgo thread. haha). i don't like the greasy stuff and the stuff that taste too sweet, or too salty. (i know. good for me, right?) i just set the alarm, and eat every 2 - 3 hours.

now if i read correctly, you want power, speed, and endurance. then, you want that ripped model-like physique. sounds to me like sports conditioning. check out ross enamait. http://www.rossboxing.com/ i think the the previously posted program contained too much isolation lifting. leave that to the bodybuilders. stick to compound lifts. personally, i do only six lifts. deadlifts, squats, rows, bench presses, snatches, clean & jerk / press. (sometimes i break down the c & j into individual lifts. i feel lazy.) for strength and power, i mostly do 2 sets of 5 with adequate rest. i just adjust how heavy i go. kept me at a steady weight, although i feel faster and stronger than ever.

i'm a recreational athlete myself. although i don't usually have a training schedule, i try to get some basic structure in my weekly workouts. how i used to train: 3 interval runs/sprints, 2 strength training (mostly weights), 2 power training (lifts or plyo), 3 core, 2 conditioning (mostly circuit intervals), and yoga on sundays.

seriously sir, what's your sport?

Edited by Palakol
If you don't have the basic foundation of strength, it would be counter productive to focus on speed training to begin with. You need to have the "horsepower" if you wanna generate a good amount of force.

Endurance training can be covered by your specific skill work which is your focus.

Definition will be achieved by cleaning up your diet.

You only need to strength train 3x/wk with a day of rest in between workouts.

The program was intended to give you a solid foundation so you will be ready for the more advanced programs in the future.

Bodybuilding is but semantic. You can only call someone a bodybuilder once he has stepped on the stage and competed in a bodybuilding show. Other than that, you are just a guy who lifts weights.

Simple answer. Once you add a significant amount of weight to what you can do for military press, dips, pullups and rows, you'll be surprised how much size you can add to your arms

Thanks for the valuable info, saer. Will definitely consider these in revising my workout program. I agree with you and saer Jacques, I think I should put more space and intervals in my daily program.

sir, didn't i meet you at another thread? :lol:

i didn't quote the program to avoid flooding. first of all, nice diet. if you can stick to it, good. personally, i just go with my instincts. i eat about 9 times a day. i'm a really picky eater (as they say in that virgo thread. haha). i don't like the greasy stuff and the stuff that taste too sweet, or too salty. (i know. good for me, right?) i just set the alarm, and eat every 2 - 3 hours.

now if i read correctly, you want power, speed, and endurance. then, you want that ripped model-like physique. sounds to me like sports conditioning. check out ross enamait. http://www.rossboxing.com/ i think the the previously posted program contained too much isolation lifting. leave that to the bodybuilders. stick to compound lifts. personally, i do only six lifts. deadlifts, squats, rows, bench presses, snatches, clean & jerk / press. (sometimes i break down the c & j into individual lifts. i feel lazy.) for strength and power, i mostly do 2 sets of 5 with adequate rest. i just adjust how heavy i go. kept me at a steady weight, although i feel faster and stronger than ever.

i'm a recreational athlete myself. although i don't usually have a training schedule, i try to get some basic structure in my weekly workouts. how i used to train: 3 interval runs/sprints, 2 strength training (mostly weights), 2 power training (lifts or plyo), 3 core, 2 conditioning (mostly circuit intervals), and yoga on sundays.

seriously sir, what's your sport?

yes, i think we did. Lulz

meal for 9 times a day. hmm. since this portion of my query is intended for the diet thread and not for this one, can you PM me the breakdown of those meals in category (carbs, prot, etc.) so we wont go offtopic? I'm picky eater as well, but occasionally I get cravings too for something sweet and salt especially when I'm out with my usual friends (who binge a lot). takes a lot of self-control, especially if they're right in front me munching down a fat, greasy burger. at the office, I bring about 4-5 plastic containers for scheduled meals and set my alarm as well. only hassle is when I'm caught in the middle of a meeting.

yes, I think you nailed pretty much on what I want/ fitness goal -- sports conditioning and ripped physique, but not too buff to maintain my speed. if you dont mind, could you PM as well your training workout? its good that you mentioned yoga. I personally believe its a very good addition to one's workout regimen.

shotokan and goju-ryu, both in kata and kumite. thanks for the inputs, saer, and in advance for the requested PMs.

• 2 months later...
And in all honesty, the guys who always says that in the gym are often the guys who are really weak and achieve a mediocre at best type of physique.

I forgot to put this on my gym pet peeves. hehe. Guys who ask for advise what to do @ the gym, and then there's a remark "yung para tama lang yung laki, ayaw ko lumaki ng parang bodybuilder" "ano dapat i take ko para magka corte lang yung katawan ko, ayaw ko lumaki ng parang body builder"

As if building our bodies happens overnight. If you can't get to your mediocre goal, getting freakish pa kaya?

To my experience, these are the guys also who takes lots of stuff. You can see them always shaking their whey protein bottle. Taking pills before and after workout. Pill whores.

But about the topic, imo, if you want to build a model body, circuit training is the path for you + high intensity cardio every morning.

I forgot to put this on my gym pet peeves. hehe. Guys who ask for advise what to do @ the gym, and then there's a remark "yung para tama lang yung laki, ayaw ko lumaki ng parang bodybuilder" "ano dapat i take ko para magka corte lang yung katawan ko, ayaw ko lumaki ng parang body builder"

As if building our bodies happens overnight. If you can't get to your mediocre goal, getting freakish pa kaya?

To my experience, these are the guys also who takes lots of stuff. You can see them always shaking their whey protein bottle. Taking pills before and after workout. Pill whores.

But about the topic, imo, if you want to build a model body, circuit training is the path for you + high intensity cardio every morning.

Sometimes if the circuit is already brutal, you won't even need to do the cardio.

Add to what you said, and many of these guys look the same year in and year out and never even get stronger at all

• 2 weeks later...

I know alot of people are isolation haters here so be nice but would adding single jointed workout for my arms help it grow? I mean theoretically? Like skull crushers and barbell curls? When I started doing these Isolations, it got my arms sore.

Main workout is still full of compounds, I tried Max OT's 3 day split just so to focus on the body parts more. My legs are growing faster than my upper body due to 5x5's squat per day and it's becoming more obvious now.

Day 1 - Chest and triceps

Flat Bench 1x12 1x8 3x6

Inclined Bench 2x6

Weighed Dips 2x6

Skull Crusher 2x8

Day 2 - Back and Biceps

Lat pulldowns 1x12 1x8 (Warm up)

Weighed Chinups (Narrow) 3x6

Weighed Pullups (Wide) 2x6

Barbell Rows 2x6

Barbell Curls 2x8

Day 3 - Legs, abs and Delts

Squat 1x12 1x8 3x5

Deadlift 1x6

Military Press 1x12 3x6

Upright Row 2x6

Leg lifts 2x15

I know alot of people are isolation haters here so be nice but would adding single jointed workout for my arms help it grow? I mean theoretically? Like skull crushers and barbell curls? When I started doing these Isolations, it got my arms sore.

Main workout is still full of compounds, I tried Max OT's 3 day split just so to focus on the body parts more. My legs are growing faster than my upper body due to 5x5's squat per day and it's becoming more obvious now.

Flat Bench 1x12 1x8 3x6

Inclined Bench 2x6

Weighed Dips 2x6

Skull Crusher 2x8

Day 2 - Back and Biceps

Barbell Rows 2x6

Barbell Curls 2x8

Squat 1x12 1x8 3x5

Deadlift 1x6

Military Press 1x12 3x6

Upright Row 2x6

Leg lifts 2x15

soreness does not automatically mean hypertrophy. i mean, i'm damn sore after a running session, but i don't see muscle growth in my legs. and i've been running religiously for about 7 years now.

and you do not need multiple exercises. i personally use only three to four lifts per workout. and i ALWAYS train the whole body.

pullups, pulldowns, and rows target basically the same muscles. and your deltoids work whenever you use your pushing muscles, so they belong with the presses.

and i will never get tired of saying: ISOLATION IS FOR ADVANCED BODYBUILDERS.

why are people so obsessed with curls?

Edited by Palakol

Flat Bench 1x12 1x8 3x6

Inclined Bench 2x6

Weighed Dips 2x6

Skull Crusher 2x8

Day 2 - Back and Biceps

Barbell Rows 2x6

Barbell Curls 2x8

Squat 1x12 1x8 3x5

Deadlift 1x6

Military Press 1x12 3x6

Upright Row 2x6

Leg lifts 2x15

2 questions

What are you lifting for bench and standing military presses? How about rows and pullups?

Since you started how much have your lifts improved and how much muscle have you gained?

2 questions

What are you lifting for bench and standing military presses? How about rows and pullups?

Since you started how much have your lifts improved and how much muscle have you gained?

I started lifting about 9 months ago.

You mean how heavy I lift? These are 6 rep maxes (except squat and deadlift)

Bench press 154lbs

Overhead press 88lbs (My arms still suck)

Barbell Row 143lbs

Pullups BW(125lbs) + 20lb dumbell

Squat 198lbs

Deadlift 215lbs

So far, I only progressed in the leg part because of the 5x5 but my upper body lagged. Muscle gain is only prominent on my torso and legs but not on my arms. Cuts have shown but size didn't improve that much. I'm doing strict full range execution on my exercises btw (Pullups from dead hang to chin above the bar, Bench press from parallel to straight arm etc.,).

I added the isolation curls because I can't do anymore chinups after doing several sets and reps. Same goes with the skull crusher.

Bench press 154lbs

Barbell Row 143lbs

Squat 198lbs

Deadlift 215lbs

So far, I only progressed in the leg part because of the 5x5 but my upper body lagged. Muscle gain is only prominent on my torso and legs but not on my arms. Cuts have shown but size didn't improve that much. I'm doing strict full range execution on my exercises btw (Pullups from dead hang to chin above the bar, Bench press from parallel to straight arm etc.,).

I added the isolation curls because I can't do anymore chinups after doing several sets and reps. Same goes with the skull crusher.

Now i don't wanna ruin your parade but since you seem to have good numbers for your size, the only way you could really expect to add more arm size is by adding more muscle to your body. If you add 10 lbs your arms will gain about an inch in circumference.

curiously where do you train?

that's what I noticed too in many weightlifting forums. trainees always include some kind of curling movement in their routine, and most do it in the power rack. hehe

guys, if you're going to do some curls, then do it somewhere else. leave the power rack vacant for squat lovers like me

Yeah right squat lovers.

My friends in the gym seemed to get scared for me when i do my 5x5 squat, 200 lbs pa lang naman kaya ko. lahat sila puro upper ang tinitira. two hours or more puro biceps and bench presses

ah. nice to see a few squatters here (pun intended).

Bench press 154lbs

Barbell Row 143lbs

Squat 198lbs

Deadlift 215lbs

simple: if you can't, don't.

honestly, you can bench press more than i can.

and to get bigger, toss the isolation, add more volume, sleep more, and drink more milk.

BTW, I stand about 5'3-5'4, 125lbs. Last time I checked with the body fat percentage machine, I think I had 19% bodyfat after working out.

where did you check your percentage?

Now i don't wanna ruin your parade but since you seem to have good numbers for your size, the only way you could really expect to add more arm size is by adding more muscle to your body. If you add 10 lbs your arms will gain about an inch in circumference.

curiously where do you train?

Puts flame shield >.<

Fitness first.

I dunno, it seems very convenient at any branch because no one bothers squatting and they are all busy with the machines while I'm squatting like there's no tomorrow there (Yeah, I grunt out very loud).

So I'll just take out isolation movements and substitute them with chinups and dips without the added weight to compensate for the lost work?

It's probably partly because I have a really bad eating habit right now. Work puts a toll on my eating habit because I don't have time to prepare my own food anymore. Anyone can suggest any restaurant in Makati that caters for body builder diets like lean grilled chicken/tuna and veggies? Money isn't that of an issue because I usually am happy spending money for food. I'm having a hard time gaining weight due to my diet (Which consist of an oatmeal for breakfast, half chicken for lunch and country style sandwich for dinner) and sort of lack of sleep. I still drink a glass of milk a day.

I'm targeting at least 135lbs by end of February. with 18% body fat as a threshold. I checked my body fat percentage using the Tanita machine at the gym (The one that mildly electrocutes you and calculates the resistance of your body for the bf%).

So I'll just take out isolation movements and substitute them with chinups and dips without the added weight to compensate for the lost work?

It's probably partly because I have a really bad eating habit right now. Work puts a toll on my eating habit because I don't have time to prepare my own food anymore. Anyone can suggest any restaurant in Makati that caters for body builder diets like lean grilled chicken/tuna and veggies? Money isn't that of an issue because I usually am happy spending money for food. I'm having a hard time gaining weight due to my diet (Which consist of an oatmeal for breakfast, half chicken for lunch and country style sandwich for dinner) and sort of lack of sleep. I still drink a glass of milk a day.

check this out:

Starting Strength

frankly, you eat like a chick. eat more. a lot more. steak and eggs, and eggs and steak. just boil 'em eggs and you're good to go. :lol:

and a liter of full cream milk a day. :thumbsupsmiley:

if it is nearly impossible to eat every 2-3 hours, i'd consider the luxury of supplementation. (enervon, milo, ovaltine, sustagen, ensure, various protein shakes, etc...) they don't take much time to prepare.

check this out:

Starting Strength

frankly, you eat like a chick. eat more. a lot more. steak and eggs, and eggs and steak. just boil 'em eggs and you're good to go. :lol:

and a liter of full cream milk a day. :thumbsupsmiley:

if it is nearly impossible to eat every 2-3 hours, i'd consider the luxury of supplementation. (enervon, milo, ovaltine, sustagen, ensure, various protein shakes, etc...) they don't take much time to prepare.

Starting strength - I have that book and read about it but only with the forms.

Diet - Hmm ok then hehe. By the way, what's the difference between skimmed milk and full cream milk besides the fat content?

Starting strength - I have that book and read about it but only with the forms.

Diet - Hmm ok then hehe. By the way, what's the difference between skimmed milk and full cream milk besides the fat content?

besides the fact that skim milk is for chicks, i have no idea.

and you should get with the program with starting strength. trust in rip.

Edited by Palakol
Puts flame shield >.<

Fitness first.

I dunno, it seems very convenient at any branch because no one bothers squatting and they are all busy with the machines while I'm squatting like there's no tomorrow there (Yeah, I grunt out very loud).

I'm targeting at least 135lbs by end of February. with 18% body fat as a threshold. I checked my body fat percentage using the Tanita machine at the gym (The one that mildly electrocutes you and calculates the resistance of your body for the bf%).

Just my take...

Perhaps its also the environement apart form your poor eating habits that's why you couldn't really progress well.

coming from experience, if you're not surrounded by hardworking people, its hard to further push yourself.

Besides, the bar kinds digs in your skin when you'll get past 200 in the squat in those FF branches.

And yes, you eat like what i'd eat when trying to cut weight.

I always loved world chicken in g4 so that's a start. but you gotta eat and eat more.