Build A Model Body!

Hehe.. Actually, this is my dream.. to be skinny.  :P  I guess most women's aim is to be skinny (yun ang model-like figure kse di ba).. but most men prefers the voluptuous ones.  Whenever I tell him that I feel I'm fat.. he says that I'm weird for thinking that way (gusto pa nga nya tumaba pa daw ako ng konti). :rolleyes:

The reason why I'm fixated on losing more weight.. I want a washboard abs kse  :blink: .. being married and having numerous kids (ahem).. it's really a feat.  I'm already losing hope.. pag ako nagkapera, magpapa-mesotherapy na lang siguro ako.  :P

Well, it would be much easier if we know where you're starting frm... do you work out? what is your routine like? how about your diet? One of the female coaches in my gym already has two kids, yet she is still slim... With proper dedication and har work, I'm sure you'll be able to stay slim and sexy

Olympus, yes, I workout regularly (at least 3x a week). I do 1 hour cardio and another hour for weight training. I also jog on Sundays with my hubby. I don't look like I have kids naman (as my acquaintances put it).. but yun nga.. my dream is really to have washboard abs. :P

I just do free weights (dumbells) for my arms (di ko alam mga tawag dun..hehe).. and I use several machines din for my thighs and legs. Krunches paminsan-minsan (I do bellydancing naman at least once a week).

I think the problem is my diet. Once in a while, I pig-out on chocolates kse. :blink: Aargh.. hindi ko talaga kayang alisin yun eh. :P

Olympus, yes, I workout regularly (at least 3x a week). I do 1 hour cardio and another hour for weight training.  I also jog on Sundays with my hubby. I don't look like I have kids naman (as my acquaintances put it).. but yun nga.. my dream is really to have washboard abs.  :P

I just do free weights (dumbells) for my arms (di ko alam mga tawag dun..hehe).. and I use several machines din for my thighs and legs.  Krunches paminsan-minsan (I do bellydancing naman at least once a week).

I think the problem is my diet.  Once in a while, I pig-out on chocolates kse.  :blink: Aargh.. hindi ko talaga kayang alisin yun eh.  :P

hmmm ok lang mag chocolates provided you don't overeat it. I think you'll benefit more from doing compound exercises since they use more energy than isolation exercises... as for cardio, it would be counter productive if you always do long cardio, try cutting it in half and then save the long sessions for every other week.

It seems you have a healthy lifestyle, perhaps the only thing needd is to build a little more muscle so that you'll increase your metabolism, thus allowing you to be leaner, and eat more chocolates :)

copy that black cat... I think that you just have to increase intensity a bit... you may have been doing your workouts too long and need to change them... I personally am getting great gains from my change of program... I went from a standard 4 set to an 8 set workout... its worked wonders for me but sometimes na bibingi nako.. its not for everyone and quite dangerous if you don't know what yer doing but this is only a phase in the program... going back to conventional in a week... its nice to mix up yer programs like this to keep your body from adapting and getting complacent...

... as for cardio, it would be counter productive if you always do long cardio, try cutting it in half and then save the long sessions for every other week.

Lagot.. yan din sabi nung PT sa kin sa gym, dapat nga daw mag-weights na lang ako.. eh pano yan I really love to dance eh.. as in. :blink: Yun jogging naman.. I have to do that para lang mapilitan si hubby (tamad kse yun kse he's too busy daw.. basketball lang ang exercise nya once a week.. sometimes golf rin pero bihira yun).

Yeah, build more muscles nga daw dapat. Recently pinagbibigatan ko yun weights na buhat ko, ayun kaya parang nag-numb naman upper back ko. Nag-stretching naman ako tska nagpa-massage na nga ko, mejo nabawasan naman pero parang ngawit pa rin yun feeling. Gusto ko na nga uminom ng Alaxan eh. :blink:

Equus.. 3 sets lang gawa ko, 12 reps per set. Pansin ko lang pag ginawa kong sobrang intense ang workout ko, nagkaka-migraine ako.. kaya hini-hinay hinay ko lang.. afterall, sabi nga ni hubby, di naman daw ako sasali ng Miss Universe (ang galing ba mag-motivate? hehe).

Guys, do you eat rice ba? How much rice do you eat in a day?

hehehehe... point taken mam. i have yet to see for myself the advantages of increased sets.. will make you balita... :D

regarding alaxan, thats okay, try feldene flash, better.

thats good that you run for your hubby.. sana ganyan rin ka supportive girlfriend ko at soon to be wife..

regarding the cardio session, let me explain something... a workout becomes a cardiovascular workout if the main energy system that you use is aerobic in nature... meaning, long, drawn out, etc etc etc... yung hindi ka hinahapo at yung heart rate mo increased but not thumping... when i started running, a runner friend of mine said that the correct pace is when hindi ka hinihingal pero hirap ka rin magsalita... thats my definition of a cardio workout.. in regards to variating your workout, just do short intense bursts of movement and power to shift the work out from aerobic to anaerobic... look at yung mga jazz dancers, hayup sa katawan... or yung mga gymnsasts at mga ballroom dancers... sure they can dance for hours but they also display feats of pure strength at times and they can really increase the intensity of the dance to a fevered/anaerobic extent... so point is you don't have to stop dancing... just change the manner of the dance...

nowadays, i eat E V E R Y T H I N G.... but will start leaning out in a week's time... :D

Thug, anyways, whatever works best for you.. nobody can argue with that naman di ba? Same thing that you can't also argue whatever works best for other people. Respetuhan na lang siguro tayo para walang gulo.  B)

Speaking for myself, I dont consider myself an expert pagdating sa mga workout.. but some of my friends ask me what's my workout routine and ginagaya nila.. siguro, they think my body is okey kaya gusto nila gumaya di ba? Ganun lang naman yun.. kaya nga I asked for pics.. para makita ko kung aling katawan ang gusto ko at tingin ko applicable sa body frame ko para yun ang iaadapt kong workout.

Dun sa mala-Conan na body.. impossible kse para sa body frame ko yun.. number 1, girl ako  :blink: .. number 2, payat lang ang bone structure ko.. and number 3, hindi ganun ang definition ko ng nice body.  Shemps iba iba tayo ng paningin kung ano ang nice body para sa tin.  B)

Sabi ko nga.. palitan na lang natin ang title ng thread.  :hypocritesmiley:

Ok... i think the first impression that we get when we say "model" body are like the ones we saw sa mga billboards... yung mga bench at penshoppe models na yan atsaka yung sumasali sa mossimo bikini summit... but i would like to encourage everyone have the body you really want to be kasi if we look up to some guy and say, I want to have a body like this and this... then i tell you, you are going to be frustrated... and also have realistic expectations...if you're a guy with an endomorph type of body, u can't look like Yao Ming kahit mag work out ka pa ng mag work out. so love yourself and strive for the body your body is capable of striving of... gets?

Lagot.. yan din sabi nung PT sa kin sa gym, dapat nga daw mag-weights na lang ako.. eh pano yan I really love to dance eh.. as in.  :blink:  Yun jogging naman.. I have to do that para lang mapilitan si hubby (tamad kse yun kse he's too busy daw.. basketball lang ang exercise nya once a week.. sometimes golf rin pero bihira yun).

Yeah, build more muscles nga daw dapat.  Recently pinagbibigatan ko yun weights na buhat ko, ayun kaya parang nag-numb naman upper back ko. Nag-stretching naman ako tska nagpa-massage na nga ko, mejo nabawasan naman pero parang ngawit pa rin yun feeling.  Gusto ko na nga uminom ng Alaxan eh.  :blink:

Equus.. 3 sets lang gawa ko, 12 reps per set.  Pansin ko lang pag ginawa kong sobrang intense ang workout ko, nagkaka-migraine ako.. kaya hini-hinay hinay ko lang.. afterall, sabi nga ni hubby, di naman daw ako sasali ng Miss Universe (ang galing ba mag-motivate? hehe).

Perhaps you're not doing them in proper form.. what gym do you go to? A simple weight training program will go a long way on your road to progress

I eat rice, 1 cup per meal since I already eat a lot of potatoes and vegetables

YUP,

SA BODYBUILDING RECOMMENDED ANG 2 GRAMS PER BODY POUND.

GOOD SOURCE KASI ANG RICE NG CARBS, PERO BETTER KAMOTE OR ROOT CROPS.

YOU NEED CARBS KASI ITO ANG PINAKA-MAIN SOURCE OR FUEL NG BODY NATIN.

:goatee:

;)

Actually, 2g/lb of bodyweight is another myth. At the most 1.25g/lb of bodyweight and this is for active individuals such as elite athletes already

das true... just take it a day at a time... do u lift heavy andrean? mas nakaka adik mag buhat ng mabigat... mas malakas kasi yung flow ng endorhpins from an anaerobic workout... i actually got addicted to the feeling of endorphins... you can say im chemically dependent on it... kasi talagang i go through semi withdrawal symptoms if i don't get my regular fix...

which is better compound vs isolation exercises? 

actually this will depend on the type of program you are going through.

in the previous post since strength is the main topic, it is hard to measure the strength of your muscles doing compound exercises since a lot of muscles work for this type of exercise. 

i recommended isolation for strengthening exercises since you are going to use one muscle group and you can measure the strength of your muscles objectively.  in rehab, we use isolation exercises to test the strength of the muscles.

What is this nonsense? This is exactly why physical therapists have no business woking as trainers or strength coaches. It's also caused me to change my major in college since therapy had nothing to do with fitness and the gym. My time in my Chicago team taught me the value of free weights to rehab injury using compound movements such as squats.

This is a discussion on strength, balance...and fitness in general. Save the rehab talk for clinics. Funny though, how I've rehabbed guys though strength training, when the could not increase strength, balance, or mobility in their knees, for example, when woking with physical therapists. One in paticular was 71 and had nearly zero mobility fo 2 years.

The only way to realistically ensure balance is through the use of compound movements. Common sense. The human body was not designed to work in an 'isolation' manner. Isolation is a myth. Prove to me that the biceps predominantly work in the positive portion of a concentration curl, and I'll give you my car, my condo, and whatever else you want.

And from experience, I had no ab development before I did heavy basic movements. Now my abs are so developed that I can insert a coin in between their ridges when my bodyfat is low. I train abs diectly maybe 6 weeks per year, and it's more hip flexor training. I've neve done cruches unless it was part of a competition...and I used to be the skinniest guy in the gym.

Crunches are a waste of time unless you are using heavy weights. Muscle biopsies of abdominal muscles confims that they are fast twitch muscle fibers, meaning they respond to heavy weights and low reps. Doing weightless crunches will cause a plateau in 4-6 weeks.

It's also why I can introduce you to hundreds of trainees of mine and Olympus who have abs after 4 months of heavy basic movements when they didn't after years of cunches. Just go to EGI at LaSalle next week.

What is this nonsense?  This is exactly why physical therapists have no business woking as trainers or strength coaches.  It's also caused me to change my major in college since therapy had nothing to do with fitness and the gym.  My time in my Chicago team taught me the value of free weights to rehab injury using compound movements such as squats.

This is a discussion on strength, balance...and fitness in general.  Save the rehab talk for clinics.  Funny though, how I've rehabbed guys though strength training, when the could not increase strength, balance, or mobility in their knees, for example, when woking with physical therapists.  One in paticular was 71 and had nearly zero mobility fo 2 years.

The only way to realistically ensure balance is through the use of compound movements.  Common sense.  The human body was not designed to work in an 'isolation' manner.  Isolation is a myth.  Prove to me that the biceps predominantly work in the positive portion of a concentration curl, and I'll give you my car, my condo, and whatever else you want.

And from experience, I had no ab development before I did heavy basic movements.  Now my abs are so developed that I can insert a coin in between their ridges when my bodyfat is low.  I train abs diectly maybe 6 weeks per year, and it's more hip flexor training.  I've neve done cruches unless it was part of a competition...and I used to be the skinniest guy in the gym.

Crunches are a waste of time unless you are using heavy weights.  Muscle biopsies of abdominal muscles confims that they are fast twitch muscle fibers, meaning they respond to heavy weights and low reps.  Doing weightless crunches will cause a plateau in 4-6 weeks.

It's also why I can introduce you to hundreds of trainees of mine and Olympus who have abs after 4 months of heavy basic movements when they didn't after years of cunches.  Just go to EGI at LaSalle next week.

I wonder who this could be? Glad you found your way here :D

olympus, i think it depends to the article you are reading.  the word core is a general term for all the muscles.  for example: if your doing biceps curl the core muscle are the biceps brachii, brachioradialis and brachialis muscles.  so if the questionis the core muscles of the trunk or lower back, this should include the abs, erector spinae and gluteus muscles.  "crunches are basically good, but for aesthtic and not functional purposes."  what do you mean by this?  crunches is the isolated exercise for the abdominals.  i don't agree that this is only aesthetical and not functional purpose because this is the function of your abs.  i don't think that compound exercises is the best exercise for the trunk muscles since your target is strengthening.  isolation is still the best.

Deadlift is an example of compound exercises but this is not the best way to strengthen your back.  you should do some trunk extension exercise to isolate your back muscles since your target is strengthening.

The primary function of the abs is to keep you from falling over backwards and snapping your spine in two. I can't remember the last time I did a 'crunching movement'. We would look pretty rediculous if our most common movements were crunches...if I saw it in a non-gym setting I'd think it was a seizure and put a stick in their mouths...

So explain to me how I rehabbed a man who suffered horrible back pain for 6 years using pin-pull deadlifts and good mornings in 6 weeks. He is a regular now to training since he got results through compound movements...and FAST. This is exactly what is wrong with trainers in mainstream gyms in the Metro...and why I don't hire physical therapists in our two fitness centers.

Sorry to go on the attack on you as a sacrificial lamb, but this kind of thought is one of the problems with the industry...and I intend to fix it.

Lagot.. yan din sabi nung PT sa kin sa gym, dapat nga daw mag-weights na lang ako.. eh pano yan I really love to dance eh.. as in.  :blink:  Yun jogging naman.. I have to do that para lang mapilitan si hubby (tamad kse yun kse he's too busy daw.. basketball lang ang exercise nya once a week.. sometimes golf rin pero bihira yun).

Yeah, build more muscles nga daw dapat.  Recently pinagbibigatan ko yun weights na buhat ko, ayun kaya parang nag-numb naman upper back ko. Nag-stretching naman ako tska nagpa-massage na nga ko, mejo nabawasan naman pero parang ngawit pa rin yun feeling.  Gusto ko na nga uminom ng Alaxan eh.  :blink:

Equus.. 3 sets lang gawa ko, 12 reps per set.  Pansin ko lang pag ginawa kong sobrang intense ang workout ko, nagkaka-migraine ako.. kaya hini-hinay hinay ko lang.. afterall, sabi nga ni hubby, di naman daw ako sasali ng Miss Universe (ang galing ba mag-motivate? hehe).

duh, 12 reps?? ano ka body builder? sus ginoo..tigas naman kase ng ulo, ang sabi ko make it high-reps.. wag ka makikinig dyan sa maling workout.. make it 20 to 25 reps..

as for me when losing weight i eat white rice only sa lunch.. sa gabi either i eat yellow kamote, or camote fruit, wheat bread, or brown rice (rice pa din)..

pero since currently im on peak training for an endurance competition.. kain lang ako ng kain mapa kanin pa yan.. umaga, tanghali, gabi! ( yesterday i run for almost 3 hours around 27-30 kilometers.. )

kaya nga mag high reps ka at mag run ka ng at least 1 hour everyday.. para kahit kumain ka ng kanin di mo problemahin! got my point? e kung ang workout mo mas marami pa ang chikahan sa gym at pahinga e talagang dapat wag ka kumain ng kanin para pumayat ka.. rice is an athlete food!

saka nga pala, wag mo na problemahin kung kaninong program ang effective at kung anong program susundin mo.. wala sa program yun..nasa intensity ng workout, consistency, at discipline mo yun...