Build A Model Body!

Andrean,

I won't get into a debate with you but I assume the reason you "think" you are better off with long and slow cardio is because you might not be lifting heavy enough to create a harmonious effect that will speed up your metabolism. And bottom line, you have your diet in check. What I'm trying to point out is that I'm trying to explain to you you DON'T NEED to stay long in the treadmill and wate an hour there. Human nature being put in this play, we all want to find a more effective way that cuts time in half. try doing 400m sprints for 3 rounds and tell me if that doesn't shed off your fat like a snake does his skin. I that doesn't work that would only mean you are definitely a genetic anomaly (read: having a different stimulus requirement)

actually pepeng manas, i know people who have done what you have done... great results... but muscle catabolism was very evident... The other methods prescribed here is not THE ONLY WAY to do it but think of it as probably a more efficient way of experiencing fatloss...

Thats the point we've been trying to get through forever :) If most guys remember our sciene lab experiement where we'll burn a piee of bread, meat and tokwa and se how fast they burn, the tokwa would burn after 15 minutes (read: protein catabolism can start after 15 minutes of energy system work) many people forget this simple experiment that most of us had in high school and can't apply it to a real life situation)

1.  The squat is the cornerstone of any good strength traiing program

2. You will build a good foundation of strength which will set you in the right path in order to make your goals attainable. As of yesterday, 30 guys in our gym deadlifted 315, 5 guys squatted 315 and 2 guys benched 225 using this program as a foundatinal routine

3. Yes it will be good for you

4. It depends. Some may do it for a minimum of 8 weeks while others go up to 16 weeks

God! Is this possible for a beginner? I can only bench as much as 100lbs! I'm really getting interested with this.

Why does one need to do long cardio i oder to get cut? I don't see the point.

Yup, sir olympus is right... i only do 15 minutes on the treadmill and gets satisfactory results.. my instructor there sa gym told me to cardio for 45 minutes... im glad i didn't follow her... or else .. sira ang sapatos ko sa kakatakbo...

sir olympus, ang sakit ng paa ko sa kaka HIIT, sagad yata hanggang buto so i stopped doing it for the meantime... is it normal to experience this?

Really? Lifting weights in your 50's and beyond will keep you young

i cant imagine myself still lifting weights in my 50's or 60's because it's like a 50-, 60-year-old-dude going to a blink 182 concert...hehehe! :) seriously, i can imagine myself lifting weights inside my home, but not in a gym anymore. :)

actually pepeng manas, i know people who have done what you have done... great results... but muscle catabolism was very evident... The other methods prescribed here is not THE ONLY WAY to do it but think of it as probably a more efficient way of experiencing fatloss...

I agree with you. what i did is not the only way to lose fat. :) there are other ways to do it.

125-128 and at what height? I assume you work out because you want to look good right?

125-128 lbs at 5'4". and yes, i work out because i want to look good. i dont really want to bulk up because of my height. i have seen people with my height and big muscles. personally, i dont like how they look (but that's just me). and because i dont like how they look, of course, i dont want my body to be like that. :) for my height, i like my body to be like that of Pacman's. :)

i cant imagine myself still lifting weights in my 50's or 60's because it's like a 50-, 60-year-old-dude going to a blink 182 concert...hehehe! :) seriously, i can imagine myself lifting weights inside my home, but not in a gym anymore. :)

I agree with you.  what i did is not the only way to lose fat. :) there are other ways to do it.

125-128 lbs at 5'4".  and yes, i work out because i want to look good.  i dont  really want to bulk up because of my height.  i have seen people with my height and big muscles. personally, i dont like how they look (but that's just me).  and because  i dont like how they look, of course, i dont want my body to be like that. :)  for my height, i like my body to be like that of Pacman's.  :)

at 5'4 and roughly 140 you'll look solid :)

Yup, sir olympus is right... i only do 15 minutes on the treadmill and gets satisfactory results.. my instructor there sa gym told me to cardio for 45 minutes... im glad i didn't follow her... or else .. sira ang sapatos ko sa kakatakbo...

sir olympus, ang sakit ng paa ko sa kaka HIIT, sagad yata hanggang buto so i stopped doing it for the meantime... is it normal to experience this?

maybe its time you did some tabata squats every other workout apart from HIIT to give your ankles and knees a break from all the running

Why does one need to do long cardio i oder to get cut? I don't see the point.

bec. long cardio builds up stamina to allow you to lift more and therefore have the cuts u want. it's called endurance training...essentially echoing the same mantra of 10 x 10 method or the German Volume Training, w/c is an off-season training.

not to mention that fat-burning mechanisms kick in after a few mins on cardio...when extended in moderation to 45 mins to an hr, u'll lose the flabs faster than when doing short HIIT's, w/c are more geared towards strength conditioning.

also, long cardio strengthens ur core and improves ur over-all balance esp. if u'll do it outside the gym. and these help a lot when trying to execute proper form during resistance training on free weights, w/c is essential to maintain bodily symmetry.

remember that there's a huge difference between looking like a model with a chiseled-look from a powerlifter with huge slabs of muscles.

i want the former. i hate the latter. so i do and preach long cardio.

long cardio does not get you cut... long cardio gives good work out to your cardiovascular system thus enhancing endurance... but not too long cardio because this is known to be retrogressive.

The long running has become a habit with a lot of fitness people.. I've seen people get really good results with this but I also know people who used cardio running as the basis of their fatloss program and now they're doing dance aerobics cause their knees gave way... long distance running is not generally good for fat loss especially if yer really on the hefty side... too much stress on your knees...  I almost was a victim of this as well... Actually you even need to lose a little weight before you start considering long drawn out running if you really want to look and plan ahead...

in any case, there are otas specified by olympus..

Just as another kuwento, a friend of mine who was is a runner is currently on a diet because he needs to lsoe a little bit more weight cause his knees were starting to hurt... does that make sense? he needs to do something else to lose weight to do something that everybody does as a weight loss tool... weird diba...

first of all, running is different from jogging. jogging on a moderate pace shouldn't hurt when done in proper form. if u see ur waist twisting when u'r jogging, then u'r not doing it properly. if ur knees hurt after some 30 mins, then u'r probably hopping more than jogging, or u'r taking longer strides than what's comfortable.

plus, cardio is more than just running. if ur knees can't handle the stress of jogging (or u can't correct an improper form w/c is causing u the pain), then do something else. let's say, u swim for a change.

let's not talk abt people who just want to get fit to look good...let's talk abt people who really need to be functionally effective. what's common abt these people???

they all do long cardio. who are they?

footballers. basketball players. swimmers, etc. even service men, those hunks in uniforms. and boy, oh boy, most of these guys have the bodies to die for. u'd even be surprised that some of them do very little of resistance training using weights. they simply rely on isometrics and a lot of lifting their own body weights.

also, if the benefits of long cardio is just an old myth, then doctors all over the world should have revised their stress test regime and score u higher when u can demonstrate to them that u can rival a horse in say 2 mins. but no, doctors will score u lower and declare u not perfectly fit if u can't sustain even a moderate pace for extended periods even if u'r like some cheetah for 1-2 mins. and i bet that these doctors have all the training and knowledge to know what's good for u from what's not.

My opinion lang po ha, mas ok siguro if one does more intense cardio pero short lang since one consumes more energy doing that kumpara sa mahaba at matagal na cardio. Lahat kasi ng nakita ko na athlete or person na short lang mag cardio pero pukpukan e mas lean at built kaysa sa mga nakita ko na matagal mag cardio. Pero as they say, siguro kasi madami ayaw ng nahihirapan kaya mas gugustuhin mag "cruise"

again, u have to define first ur training goals...short cardio and long cardio have different purposes.

if u want to have strength conditioning, then do short HIIT...15 mins. u shock ur cardiovascular system for short stretches of time. goal? to prepare you with the intense lifts u will make during ur resistance training. explosive heavy lifts are crucial to build muscle mass.

BUT...

if u want endurance training, then do long cardio...45mins to 1 hr. u expose ur cardiovascular system to continuous moderate stress for extended period. goal?

1. to slim down by effectively burning fats.

2. to improve core performance and over-all balance

3. to help u increase the volume of ur training to optimum. not that u will overtrain bec. u have done long cardio. rather, u can simply optimize the volume of ur training bec. ur cardiovascular system is now able to withstand prolonged exposure to stress...and resistance training is one stressful activity. in simple terms, u don't tire s@%t easily.

now yes, some lazy asses do cardio for extended periods without gains...but that's not bec. of long cardio. that's bec. aside that, they do nothing else...i've seen a lot of people who'll content themselves seeing that they've shed some "calories" by using the treadmill and would slack off with the weights. some would even go home without lifting any.

And where did you get this? If fat is being used during long sessions, then why has it been published in several journals that aerobic energy system work tends to put the body in a catabolic state as compared to anaerobic energy system work, which tends to improve metabolic conditioning and improves EPOC and fat burning of the human body?

yes, that's true...if u'r thinking that long sessions of cardio are all gonna be pure aerobic workout.

but the simple truth is, it's not the case. aerobic activity ends when u've used up ur carbs reserves....without carbs, the body will switch to using fat as fuel. well, if u unduly stress ur body too much, it will use protein as well. from where? ur muscles.

but hell, u know urself better. for as long as u still have > 10% body fat, long cardio won't eat ur muscles away. on moderate pace, u can really shed off some pounds of fat from ur tummy by doing long cardio.

actually its not about the cruise... its old traditional fitness thinking na nagsasabi na kailangan long drawn out cardio for fat loss.... nope... long drawn out cardio, once or twice a week for general fitness... not weight loss...

right and wrong.

long cardio coupled with a good diet and resistance training is a good over-all weight loss program. and when done consistently all together, this could give u a beautiful and at the same time functionally effective body.

Edited by Jourdan
To be perfectly honest, I have yet to meet anyone who has not shed off inchs and burnt fat using either HIIT or the Tabata method. i have also seen a few guys in our gym get even leaner using a Crossfit WOD. one of them won a silver medal last week at the LVM powerlifting championships and this guy is not only strong, but has a six pack to show.

and i have nothing against HIITs...i do them. but i will never ever recommend it to some fat ass with his > 30% body fat who has not been inside the gym all his life just to cut the flabs. it's totally unsafe.

this will always be for the advanced gym rats.

if u'r a beginner, then i tend to disagree with the use of HIIT. u properly don't know how to jog properly. hitting the treadmill for HIIT will surely hurt s@%t. m guessing which wil give away first, the ankles or the knees?

HIIT is for advanced gym rats. y? bec. it puts too much stress on ur muscles, tendons, and ligaments...all of which need to get strengthened first.

and how do u strengthen them? follow ur instructor. do moderate cardio for 45 mins...just as what doctors would recommend. yes, u'll get nil to very little visible gains for some time. but it's not just abt what u see, it's abt what you don't see at all.

long exposure to moderate stress will strengthen ur core and legs. thereafter, if u don't feel pain in the knees and ankles at all when u'r jogging on a treadmill for 45 mins, or u'r not catching ur breath, then maybe it's time to move on to HIIT.

now, if u want visible gains while doing long moderate cardio, then lift weights AND cut on the calories. i bet u'll see results in as little as 4 weeks. this is even without HIIT.

Even most of the guys have lost at least 20lbs of fat while gaining equal amounts of muscle just by doing heavy basic lifting plus cleaning up their diets, meaning balancing their protein and carbs in each meal.  It's all about diet and lifting heavy.  The "cardio conspiracy" that was started by the Cooper Institute still has a stranglehold over what people believe.  All I can say in response to that is to look at all of the fat people who do back-to-back aerobics class.  Most make no change (still fat) after over a year of consistant aerobics.

tsk tsk tsk...cardiovascular training is a part and parcel of getting a model body. well, i guess we have different ideas abt what constitute a model body...

for me, it's not Ronnie Coleman. it's the Beckhams, Jordans, Wades, and those Mr. Universe guys with their eight-pack abs, symmetric shoulders and arms, nice legs, etc...

these are the peeps who look exasperatingly beautiful without the need to wear spandex and skimpy ridiculous undershirts in public. in short, they are not freaks. just eye-candies. now if u'r really craving to wear yellow tights in front of many peeps, then skip the cardio...just continue benching 200 lbs till kingdom come.

--------------------

so for those people who want to be like them than Jay Cutler, do ur cardio. note, cardio...not aero. dont ever think that after 20 mins doing cardio, u'r body's still in aero mode...not unless u shove a ton of sugar down ur throat before u wear ur running shoes. tsk tsk tsk.

and oh, before u decide to listen to peeps here say that when u say long cardio's a good thing, u mean u just DO ONLY cardio to have a model body, let me clear it once and for all that u'll never get cut just by jogging...

as i have said time and again, get a well-balanced diet and do resistance training. but don't forget ur cardio. never.

as a note, i do long cardio AND GVT for 4 weeks. then i shift to HIIT and serious heavy lifting for 4 weeks.

the former improves stamina and endurance and gives u a slight increase in strength (since this program acts on the slow twitch muscle fibers).

the latter improves muscle mass and over-all strenght (since this program hits the fast twitch).

and i also have active rest days doing other things like sports, e.g, boxing, frisbee.

so in the end, everything is aligned. everything is designed to lift my metabolism in and out of the gym (having lean muscles jacks up ur rest metabolism so what u do in the gym affects what happens outside).

lastly, looking good should be the same as feeling good. skipping one aspect of fitness training, e.g., cardio, will not make u a functionally effective individual. form and function must come together. i don't think u want to look so huge yet fail to catch a smallish guy who just poked ur eye bec. u can't simply keep up. just think abt that when u want to skip ur cardio.

Edited by Jourdan

lean? not really.. more muscle mass... marathoners are lean as hell... just that all that long running got them to a higher level of muscle catabolic state...

Interesting thing regarding Jourdan's comments on HIIT against long cardio... I want to reiterate myself, when i refer to long cardio, I always mean long running... my mistake.. Long cardio by far will always have good results... long running, no...

In terms of lowl level beginers, yes... I do not recommend HIIT... runing or walking will always work wonders for them.. simple and no need for further explanation... however, HIIT will always be better than the running stuff if you already have a good idea on what you're doing...

doing long cardio or HIIT really depends on what program you want to have. if you really want to improve your cardiovascular system then long cardio is better but if your goal is to improve your strength and power then HIIT is better.

however, having an eclectic approach is the best since your balance with both cardio and strength training.

jourdan two thumbs up for you.

at 5'4 and roughly 140 you'll look solid

well, i suppose 140 at 5'4" wouldn't be that much bulky for me... i'll give it a try, sir olympus. i can always trim down if i dont like what i see at 140, right? :)

for me, it's not Ronnie Coleman. it's the Beckhams, Jordans, Wades, and those Mr. Universe guys with their eight-pack abs, symmetric shoulders and arms, nice legs, etc...

exactly, jourdan! those are the people that i look up to! :) i dont like to be like ronnie coleman, shawn ray, or kevin levrone. actually, i would like to have a body like....

Gnda ng katawan ni Manny Pacquiao noh,

Model na model, ganda ng cuts.

manny pacquiao. :) i dont mind not having the bulky muscles, but i do like to have a body with less than 10% fat. :)