Motoring For Dummies - All Your Car & Driving Questions Answered H

I'm not much of a repairer myself. I keep myself to fluid maintenance and tire pressure checking.

I do opt to closely watch the mechanics do their thing when they make major repairs on my car. There's a lot you can learn from them (and you see how critical certain parts are on your car, like the CV joints and clutch assembly).

i think everyone who owns a car should know something about maintenance and trouble shooting.

emergencies and accidents may happen to all of us, knowing a little about troubleshooting and how your car works will save a lot of time and money, aside from that you can't be fooled by mechanics who takes advantage on owners when they learn that you don't know anything about cars.

casa repairs are for those who has lots of money.

i guess we all know how much casa repairs and parts cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I only check the fluids & tire pressure. When I arrived here in the US

I was surprised that they replace their spark plugs usually 2 to 3 years, sometimes longer.

I bought a VW Jetta and when I read the owner's manual, it says that the

spark plugs have to be replaced 50,000 miles.

Sa pinas, we replace spark plugs usually after 5,000 kms, dito

taon bago magpalit. Is it because of the fuel? The octane rating here is much

lower: 87 - regular, 89 - midgrade, 92 - premium. Just like in electricity,

220 sa pinas, 110 lang dito sa US. Pero kahit regular gas lang ang ginagamit

ko, malakas pa rin humatak.

The oil change is usually 3-months, but if you use synthetic, it can last

for a year.

Malapit na winter kaya I have to "winterize" our cars which means check

or change all fluids (anti-freeze) & check the battery.

I only check the fluids & tire pressure. When I arrived here in the US

I was surprised that they replace their spark plugs usually 2 to 3 years, sometimes longer.

I bought a VW Jetta and when I read the owner's manual, it says that the

spark plugs have to be replaced 50,000 miles.

Sa pinas, we replace spark plugs usually after 5,000 kms, dito

taon bago magpalit. Is it because of the fuel? The octane rating here is much

lower: 87 - regular, 89 - midgrade, 92 - premium. Just like in electricity,

220 sa pinas, 110 lang dito sa US. Pero kahit regular gas lang ang ginagamit

ko, malakas pa rin humatak.

The oil change is usually 3-months, but if you use synthetic, it can last

for a year.

Malapit na winter kaya I have to "winterize" our cars which means check

or change all fluids (anti-freeze) & check the battery.

87-89 octane?ang baba pala rating jan ano?may advantage din kc pag mataas octane rating ng gas na gamit natin.mas malinis ang combustion,walang carbon build up.pag mababa kc mahina ang sunog,kaya madaming carbon ang natitira,tendency is parang pwet ng kaldero ung ibabaw ng piston.

acetone?a bad idea for me.it was argued and never won the test.you cant squeez the octane from the gasoline and improve the fuel economy.it can even damage some sensors and the injectors.or even contribute to the carbon buildup in the combustion.

if your car is built for economy,then just have the proper maintenance and proper driving procedures.if you have a sportscar,then dont expect that you can somehow transform it to an economy car.it was designed for performance anyway.there were no proven ideas such as "more power,less fuel",instead,the fuel is the source of power itself.the more it burns,the faster it gets.

just drive properly.no abrupt driving.you can somehow save your fuel.

Quoted from an article in Inquirer

We'll in the Philippines "Green light..means Go....Red light means..Go..go..go"

Traffic lights are merely just a suggestion.....

To prevent....being involved in accidents....

Follow traffic rules plain and simple

Edited by yhance
Question 1: Pano un proper way to drive A/T?? What gear for every speed?? or What gear for normal driving speeds (55-75kph = recommended according to procarcare.com)???
  • Starting the engine = Park

• D4 = ??

• D3 = ??

• D2 = ??

Question 2: Ano kaya ang problem kapag galing sa mabilis mga 80 kph above then

kapag close to idle nangangatog na un makina, kapag nangatog na at

hindi mo nilagay sa D2 or neutral ay mamamatay un makina???

1. the proper way of driving AT is not to fiddle with the gears unless you need to. D2 and D1 are used only if you are in a real hurry to overtake, going up a steep hill and the car is having a hard time, or when you are towing something really heavy. in ordinary driving the car chooses the gears for you, whatever speed you are on.

other tips:

when you are backing up, stop the car fully before putting it on Drive - its kinder to the gears

when in stop and go traffic, put it in Neutral when at a stop - keeps the AT fluid from heating up too much

2. di po mamamatayan ang automatic, kapag nangangatog siya close to idle at namamatay baka po may problema yan

HTH :lol:

nangangatog? actually im experiencing that with my car now. when parking ako & i just let it roll i mean not stepping on the gas.. nangangatog sya. specially pag may incline yung sahig minsan namamatayan p nga e. nkakasira b ng makina yung parking or moving the car in trafic na just letting it roll sa drive, without stepping sa gas. tnx

Question 1: Pano un proper way to drive A/T?? What gear for every speed?? or What gear for normal driving speeds (55-75kph = recommended according to procarcare.com)???
  • Starting the engine = Park

• D4 = ??

• D3 = ??

• D2 = ??

Question 2: Ano kaya ang problem kapag galing sa mabilis mga 80 kph above then

kapag close to idle nangangatog na un makina, kapag nangatog na at

hindi mo nilagay sa D2 or neutral ay mamamatay un makina???

1. the proper way of driving AT is not to fiddle with the gears unless you need to. D2 and D1 are used only if you are in a real hurry to overtake, going up a steep hill and the car is having a hard time, or when you are towing something really heavy. in ordinary driving the car chooses the gears for you, whatever speed you are on.

other tips:

when you are backing up, stop the car fully before putting it on Drive - its kinder to the gears

when in stop and go traffic, put it in Neutral when at a stop - keeps the AT fluid from heating up too much

2. di po mamamatayan ang automatic, kapag nangangatog siya close to idle at namamatay baka po may problema yan

HTH :lol:

"D2 and D1 are used only if you are in a real hurry to overtake, going up a steep hill and the car is having a hard time, or when you are towing something really heavy." Or when you are going a steep downhill. Pop into D3 or D2. It's called "engine braking". Don't step on the gas. You will rev up to about 3000 rpm but you will restrict your speed without excessive use of the brakes, doing TWO things for you. First, you keep your brakes from overheating and losing effectiveness especially on a long downhill. Second, you don't wear down your brakes too quickly. Good thing to keep in mind if you drive a lot in Baguio!

"when in stop and go traffic, put it in Neutral when at a stop - keeps the AT fluid from heating up too much" - No need to do this. Not true that your AT fluid will overheat. If it does, you have a transmission problem.

nangangatog? actually im experiencing that with my car now. when parking ako & i just let it roll i mean not stepping on the gas.. nangangatog sya. specially pag may incline yung sahig minsan namamatayan p nga e. nkakasira b ng makina yung parking or moving the car in trafic na just letting it roll sa drive, without stepping sa gas. tnx

Nothing wrong with letting the car roll forward when inching through traffic. That's why ATs were invented in the first place! Kung nangangatog when diling, your ide is set too low! Kick it up to at least 600 RPM in idle and in D. When not in D idle should be around 750 RPM.

D4 all the time unless it is too steep or decline. D4 is the defacto overdrive gear.

See above. D4 is not necessarily overdrive. Some new ATs have 5, 6 or even 7 (as in the Mercedes) gears.

Edited by agxo3
paano naman ang manual, pagstart, proper shift ng gear, sa humps, sa red light, sa roundabout and kapag huminto na.

First off, it's nice to see that this thread is still going strong. Kinda forgot about its existence.

To answer niceNslow's query, I assume that he's asking how's the proper way to drive a stick (as opposed to an earlier query on automatic trannies). BTW, are you new to driving nNs?

Obviously, the gear has to be placed on Neutral when starting lest you want to fly and hit whats in front of you.

Really don't know what you want to find out about 'proper shift ng gear.' I can answer this in two ways:

1) Shift to a higher gear when you feel your engine is getting overworked (it revs too much for the speed you are in) and feels strained to go any faster. Although there is no strict rule, for cars running on gas, upshift when your car revs more than 3T rpm. In the opposite, downshift when you feel your engine is unresponsive even if you press on the gas more ('mahina ang batak'). or..

2) Step on the clutch all the way down and change gears slowly and gently?

Sa humps, put you gear to Neutral as you go over the humps and put the gear in second just as your rear tires go down said humps.

Reminder: don't downshift all the way to first unless you go to a full stop. And you don't normally do a fullstop going over humps.

Sa red light, you do go on a full stop. So brake, put gear on Neutral while idly waiting for the light to turn green. And when it does, put your gear in First and go.

Do the same thing in a roundabout as you are in a redlight because ideally, those that are yet to enter the roundabout should give way to those already in it. So make a fullstop, put gear to Neutral and wait for an opening, then shift to First and go the second you can.

And lastly, put it in Neutral pag huminto ka na.

Assuming you are new to driving, welcome to the wonderful world of motoring. Drive safe. Cheers!

paano naman yung magpapagasolina ka, obligado ka bang patayin yung makina o pede na yung umaandar? paano naman yung papatayin mo na yung makina o sasakyan mo, yung nagparking ka na, neutral ba dapat or 1st gear?

Bro, sabi na nga ba wala ka sa Pilipinas. The roundabouts gave it away.

Pag nag papalagay ng gas, it would be prudent to just shut your engine. Dati, hindi ko ginagawa ito. Pero mas mabusisi na ang mga gas stations ngayon at pinapapatay nila ang makina mo. Naisip-isip ko, okay na rin kasi nakakatipid ako ng gasolina.

As a rule, pagnakahinto ka, dapat naka Neutral ang sasakyan mo tapos naka brake. Pag matagal kang nakahinto (as in naka park ka na or even during a long red light), use your handbrake. Pagsandali ka lang nakahinto (like in stop and go traffic), just use your foot brake.