Motoring For Dummies - All Your Car & Driving Questions Answered H

This myth really should be killed already.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=...&id=3951510

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/acetone.asp

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Arc...January/08.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(..._Gas_Conspiracy

The greatest argument against this being even worth considering is one of simple market greed - if this really worked, wouldn't you think there's be a bazillion 'snake oil' branded bottles out there of nothing but pure acetone selling for (insert any market-bearable price here)?

In other words, if someone could be making money re-selling acetone for a markup (note that this does not bar the acetone manufacturers themselves from doing this), they'd already be doing it. For that matter, if you hold to the "conspiracy" that oil companies are keeping this hush-hush, then they'd already have shut down any kind of acetone manufacturing, they did k*ll the electric car after all (yes, I'm being sarcastic).

But by all means, try it yourselves on your precious engines. Makes no sense to me to even entertain the slight possibility of engine damage on the premise that you'd "save" a few bucks. You're better off learning good driving skills and keeping your car in fuel-efficient condition:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/fuelalrt.shtm

heard it from my ofcmates... the first 1 tried using it on his corolla, increased mileage from 9km per liter to 10+km per liter

another 1 tried it on his honda civic, increased mileage din from 8km/l to 9+km/l

a lady friend followed, using it on her honda city (2 yr old car), increased mileage also...

now, almost everybody in our office is using it... including me (on my 1999 lancer, it also increased my mileage from 9km/l to 10+km/l)

even my boss who's driving an accord is using it...

125ml of pure acetone for every full tank of fuel (abt 35 liters on my case)

heard it from my ofcmates... the first 1 tried using it on his corolla, increased mileage from 9km per liter to 10+km per liter

another 1 tried it on his honda civic, increased mileage din from 8km/l to 9+km/l

a lady friend followed, using it on her honda city (2 yr old car), increased mileage also...

now, almost everybody in our office is using it... including me (on my 1999 lancer, it also increased my mileage from 9km/l to 10+km/l)

even my boss who's driving an accord is using it...

125ml of pure acetone for every full tank of fuel (abt 35 liters on my case)

huh? where do you buy pure acetone?

Question 1: Pano un proper way to drive A/T?? What gear for every speed?? or What gear for normal driving speeds (55-75kph = recommended according to procarcare.com)???

• Starting the engine = Park

• D4 = ??

• D3 = ??

• D2 = ??

Question 2: Ano kaya ang problem kapag galing sa mabilis mga 80 kph above then

kapag close to idle nangangatog na un makina, kapag nangatog na at

hindi mo nilagay sa D2 or neutral ay mamamatay un makina???

Edited by boygenpact
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to ask motorists for a long time this question regarding the use of the "overdrive" in automatic transmissions. To my understanding, the O/D is the equivalent of the 5th gear in manual transmissions. When you start your car, assuming it has automatic transmission, the O/D is usually switch "on" as a default. In city driving like ours is there any advantage to having the O/D switched "on" or "off"?

Please give me your insights.

BTW, as I mentioned, when I start my car's engine, O/D is always "on" so I drive around the Metro with it. In rare occasions I switch it "off" and I get more torque and engine revs higher before it shifts to a higher gear.

When using overdrive, the car's engine RPM drops, reducing engine wear and normally saving fuel. You should refer to the owner's manual for the proper speed to run at overdrive. However, all engines have a range of peak efficiency; it is possible for the use of overdrive to keep the engine out of this range, thus cutting into any fuel savings from the lower engine speed.

Overdrive (O/D) is a fancy term for the automatic transmission's top gear. In a typical four-speed automatic gearbox, O/D simply refers to 4th gear.

When you drive with overdrive turned off on a four-speed auto 'box, you are effectively driving with just the three remaining gears. Even if the vehicle reaches a high enough speed to use 4th gear properly, the gearbox will not upshift and will remain in 3rd. This is handy for overtaking and moderate engine braking (e.g. when driving downhill on a steep grade), but it makes the car use more fuel and run noisier on a steady-speed cruise.

The most prudent thing to do is to leave O/D on. Unless you really need to override the auto 'box's programming, let the 'box do the shifting for you. Most automatics are programmed for economy driving by default.

No.

The reason why overdrive exists is to save fuel and increase the refinement. Driving on a highway at a high-speed cruise with it OFF is going to be much, much harder on your wallet.

Besides, overdrive is NORMALLY TURNED ON by default. Leave it on.

Edit: I think a lot of people are getting the wrong idea from the name "overdrive" as if it's going to give you some sort of nitrous-like boost. It's nothing more than top gear. If you were driving a manual-transmission car you'd be foolish or extremely ignorant to stay at first gear all the time, right? It's the same with automatics.

Edited by bogliboi_blue

i used to drive manual but now my car is matic.....i always shift the gear (from D to 4th or even low to 2nd) anytime im driving on "UPHILL", going to high speed ramp while overtaking or high traction is required.....but most of the time, city driving i keep it in "D"...

i read it from the manual.....it is safe for the car engine to shift from "D" to lower gear especially while driving uphill....

please correct me if im wrong...im not an expert in this.... :unsure:

^ Tama yan.

When you shift from "D" to "2" you're locking out all gears except first and second. This will give you engine braking and/or increased acceleration. Shifting to low gears like this is recommended for steep downhill driving (e.g. Kennon Road or the Shangri-La Plaza covered parking ramps) to prevent burning your brakes out.

Turning overdrive off does the same thing, except that it locks out only your top gear.

On Honda auto 'boxes you turn off overdrive by shifting from "D" to "D3"---effectively locking out all gears except first, second and third. It's the same thing.

Overdrive (O/D) is a fancy term for the automatic transmission's top gear. In a typical four-speed automatic gearbox, O/D simply refers to 4th gear.

When you drive with overdrive turned off on a four-speed auto 'box, you are effectively driving with just the three remaining gears. Even if the vehicle reaches a high enough speed to use 4th gear properly, the gearbox will not upshift and will remain in 3rd. This is handy for overtaking and moderate engine braking (e.g. when driving downhill on a steep grade), but it makes the car use more fuel and run noisier on a steady-speed cruise.

The most prudent thing to do is to leave O/D on. Unless you really need to override the auto 'box's programming, let the 'box do the shifting for you. Most automatics are programmed for economy driving by default.

is it a good idea to run overdrive on NLEX then run at normal when you reach EDSA?

No.

The reason why overdrive exists is to save fuel and increase the refinement. Driving on a highway at a high-speed cruise with it OFF is going to be much, much harder on your wallet.

Besides, overdrive is NORMALLY TURNED ON by default. Leave it on.

Edit: I think a lot of people are getting the wrong idea from the name "overdrive" as if it's going to give you some sort of nitrous-like boost. It's nothing more than top gear. If you were driving a manual-transmission car you'd be foolish or extremely ignorant to stay at first gear all the time, right? It's the same with automatics.

i used to drive manual but now my car is matic.....i always shift the gear (from D to 4th or even low to 2nd) anytime im driving on "UPHILL", going to high speed ramp while overtaking or high traction is required.....but most of the time, city driving i keep it in "D"...

i read it from the manual.....it is safe for the car engine to shift from "D" to lower gear especially while driving uphill....

please correct me if im wrong...im not an expert in this.... :unsure:

^ Tama yan.

When you shift from "D" to "2" you're locking out all gears except first and second. This will give you engine braking and/or increased acceleration. Shifting to low gears like this is recommended for steep downhill driving (e.g. Kennon Road or the Shangri-La Plaza covered parking ramps) to prevent burning your brakes out.

Turning overdrive off does the same thing, except that it locks out only your top gear.

On Honda auto 'boxes you turn off overdrive by shifting from "D" to "D3"---effectively locking out all gears except first, second and third. It's the same thing.

As far as my limited knowledge in transmission mechanics can say with certainty, OVERDRIVE switch should be ON at all times except in driving conditions that dictates the use of lower gear only (1 & 2).

thanks for your response... great inputs!!!