6th MTC Fantasy NBA

hoopburners

Small Forward Rankings

By Matt Buser

October 25, 2006

Over the course of the week, I will be ranking the top 40 players at each position in fantasy basketball – to come: power forwards (10/26) and centers (10/27) – while also calling out the sleepers and busts.

Let's continue rankings week with talk about the top 40 players with eligibility at small forward in the Yahoo! fantasy game:

FANTASY BASKETBALL PLAYER RANKINGS –

1 Shawn Marion F PHO

2 Kevin Garnett F MIN

3 LeBron James SF CLE

4 Paul Pierce GF BOS

5 Andrei Kirilenko F UTA

6 Michael Redd GF MIL

7 Vince Carter GF NJ

8 Rashard Lewis SF SEA

9 Gerald Wallace GF CHA

10 Josh Smith GF ATL

11 Tracy McGrady GF HOU

12 Antawn Jamison F WAS

13 Peja Stojakovic SF NO

14 Caron Butler SF WAS

15 Carmelo Anthony SF DEN

16 Lamar Odom F LAL

17 Richard Jefferson SF NJ

18 Ron Artest SF SAC

19 Hedo Turkoglu GF ORL

20 Morris Peterson GF TOR

21 Andres Nocioni SF CHI

22 Shane Battier SF HOU

23 Andre Iguodala GF PHI

24 Charlie Villanueva F MIL

25 Mike Miller GF MEM

26 Josh Howard GF DAL

27 Danny Granger F IND

28 Al Harrington F IND

29 Marvin Williams F ATL

30 Wally Szczerbiak GF BOS

31 Ricky Davis GF MIN

32 Stephen Jackson GF IND

33 Ryan Gomes F BOS

34 Shareef Abdur-Rahim F SAC

35 Tayshaun Prince SF DET

36 Eddie Jones GF MEM

37 Josh Childress GF ATL

38 Adam Morrison F CHA

39 Corey Maggette GF LAC

40 Bobby Simmons GF MIL

Last week, I laid out my reasoning for ranking fantasy hoops' "big 3" the way I have in my Dynamic Dozen column. It's close – don't get me wrong – but I'm a Marion guy. Basically, if you have any of picks 1-3 this season, you are going to get a player that you are going to be very happy with, and nobody who has really thought it through has anyone other than Marion, KG, and LBJ in their top 3.

Pierce is one great consolation prize if you pick at or near the end of Round 1, as he's invariably not picked among the top 12. Pairing him with just about any late-first round pick forms a stupendous tandem, as Pierce contributes in nearly every fantasy category.

Kirilenko has lost a bit of luster since his ridiculous '03-'04 season, mainly due to the fact that he's missed a combined 54 games in the two seasons since. Of course, he also averaged 15.4 points, 7.3 boards, 3.9 assists, 1.5 steals, and 3.2 blocks in the 110 games that he did play. Thus the quandary with AK-47 – you know the stats are going to be freaky good, but can he stay healthy for the majority of the season?

Redd, VC, and Lewis are a pretty tightly-bunched group. Redd puts the more impressive offensive totals, Carter has the more gaudy overall line, and Lewis contributes more defensively while putting up valuable and efficient offensive production. Any of these three players will make an owner happy as mid-to-late second round picks.

You've got to have made your peace with the gamble that picking Wallace, Smith, or McGrady entails. You need Wallace to play 70 games to warrant drafting him where you will likely need to, Smith has to finally put together that outstanding overall season from start to finish to warrant the hype, and you've got to be convinced that T-Mac is happy and healthy and ready to rebound. Somewhere in the third round is where I'm comfortable making any one of those bets.

Jamison was one of the better draft-day steals last season, as he went on to average a career-high 1.8 threes and 9.3 rebounds while topping 20 points-per-game for the third time in his career. His percentages and defensive numbers leave a bit to be desired, but he should once again be a valuable fantasy contributor in a number of areas this season.

I really like Peja to have a good season, even though he's been slowed by injury and slow to find his shot in the preseason. Just call it a hunch, but I think his line this year more resembles the time he spent with Indiana than Sacramento last season.

SLEEPER: Butler is one player that I've been trying to target in every draft. He's got the potential to truly break out and put up a line like he did after the All-Star break last season – 19.3 points on 48 percent shooting, 1.1 threes, 7.0 rebounds, 2.0 steals, 87 percent free-throw shooting – over the course of this entire season.

Anthony, Odom, and Jefferson are another tightly-knit group of players in terms of fantasy value. Anthony has impressive offensive stats, but the overall line is still lacking. Odom has superb assist numbers for a big man, but his free throw percentage and turnovers can come back to haunt you. Jefferson is nice across the board, but won't carry you in any one category.

Artest is a real mid-round X-factor. He's got the talent to lead the league in steals and score 20 points-per-game, but at the same time will likely put up terrible percentages and have a relatively high amount of turnovers. And then there's the status of his psyche that fantasy owners will always have to worry about …

Nocioni should turn out to be a very nice mid-round selection. He was huge down the stretch and in the playoffs for the Bulls last season, and should be a key fantasy contributor across the board with 30-plus minutes per game.

Battier is an underrated fantasy performer, particularly in roto leagues. He should top 1.0 threes, 1.0 steals, and 1.5 blocks per game this season, which is very rare territory, while being more assertive on the offensive end.

As much as fantasy owners (including myself) would like to see it, it's hard to expect much of a spike in production from Iguodala as long as Iverson and Webber are monopolizing the basketball in Philly.

While most fantasy owners (including myself) are expecting bigger and better things from Howard this season, his penchant for injury makes it hard to invest heavily in his services.

SLEEPER: It's hard to call Granger a sleeper at this point, as he's getting serious hype throughout the fantasy community, but what the heck. When he played last season, he produced, and he figures to play more this season. He averaged 1.2 steals, 1.0 blocks, and shot 47 percent from the floor and 36 percent from long range in games he started last season, so he's got the potential to really fill up a stat sheet in the Pacers' small-ball lineup.

With Harrington, what you see is what you get. He may be a happier person playing for Indiana, but a strikingly familiar stat-line should be expected – plus points, average rebounds, around one steal and one three, marginal percentages, and relatively high turnovers.

I'm not as high on Marvin Williams as many are. While being the MVP of your particular summer league is well and good, his 23.2-point average in 31.8 minutes per game was accompanied by 3.8 turnovers and 4.6 personal fouls, and three steals and two blocks total in five games. I'm not one to over-analyze summer league production, but if we're going to look at some of the numbers, we need to look at all of them. Williams will likely be a decent source of points given the requisite playing time, but don't overpay based on his summer league scoring average.

With the T-Wolves having added Mike James and Randy Foye, it's not likely that Davis will play 40-plus minutes per game this season, as he did in '05-'06. He'll still be a decent source of points, rebounds, assists, and turnovers this season.

Gomes should get the majority of the playing time at power forward for the Celtics this season, and it's even more apparent with talk now surfacing that Al Jefferson will spend some time at center because he lacks the quickness to guard quicker fours. Gomes should be a nice help to your team's scoring, rebounding, and field goal percentage.

It's hard to imagine much more than a platoon with Kenny Thomas as a best-case scenario for Abdur-Rahim. He'll still provide solid percentages and some points when he's on the floor.

The loss of Ben Wallace could mean a bit of a spike for Prince's defensive numbers, but he still won't be more than the solid-but-unspectacular contributor he's been for the past three seasons.

Morrison may struggle with his shooting percentage early, but he'll be allowed to work through it if he indeed has a slow start. His positive fantasy contributions in his rookie season will likely be limited to some points and threes.

Matt Buser is a Yahoo! Sports fantasy expert. Send Matt a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

whoa! nabigla ako sa offer mo josh.. :D sorry, si wade lang talaga untouchablele sakin ngayon.. :D

btw guys, alam nyo ba kung ano injury ni radmanovic?

heheh it was a shot and i offered very good players for him... :P

phew i was afraid launchpad would grab speedy in the pool :P he was the only one that can top me :P

Edited by joshiasi
haba ng backread...

parang si zach last year pa binebenta ni commish ah.. :D

Ha ha, ganoon ba? Di ko na matandaan. :) I think he will be better this year though.

Since I knew I had no chance to get Claxton, and since I just got Telfair from the FA pool and I badly needed a shooting guard, I went for J.Crawford and got him. I dont know if there were other managers who tried to get him. Mukhang iilan o wala ata. Pwede na siguro sya. Boosts my 3s, steals and ft% although he has very low fg% (and high TO ata).

Edited by agentjackbauer