6th MTC Fantasy NBA

hoopburners

Dear NBA & D-League GMs,

I posted this at the League Home Page of the MTC D-League.

1. The original draft date and time was Oct 27 9pm. I fixed my schedule to accomodate that time.

2. The sched was moved WITHOUT the concensus of the other GMs which is not the way how MTC GMs work. I've been following the thread since the start of the season last year and I'm sure if any of you were playing with them, you'd be toasted with criticism for moving the draft sched without taking the opinions of others.

3. I have to go with the original draft date and time OR get a poll from the other GMs. If we don't resolve this before oct 27, then we have to start scoring in Week 2 which is a BIG SHAME.

There is a big problem with the D-League, a simple problem of draft schedule conflict.

I hope the NBA GMs enlighten these newbies on how you guys work around here.

Edited by jumpman23
Attn: D-Leaguers..

Re-set natin draft date to OCTOBER 27, Friday 9PM.

Ok lang?

With all due respect commish, the draft sched should be Oct 27 9PM, the ORIGINAL draft sched. The motion should be to move it to Oct 28 11AM and see if majority (6/10) of the GMs will approve of that and not the other way around. :)

The Dynamic Dozen

By Matt Buser

October 20, 2006

We've got a little over a week until the start of the regular season, and the lion's share of NBA fantasy drafts are going to go down in the interim. You never really know in which order you will be crossing people off of your cheat sheet on draft day until you are actually drafting, but every fantasy owner should have a specific plan of action for at least the first round of their draft. Pore over the numbers, examine the team situations, assess injury risks, and come up with who you would select with every spot in your league's first round. If your draft order has been determined well beforehand, then you only need to do it up to your own pick, but you've got to have a plan for the first round. Let's discuss how the first round of your fantasy draft should pan out, assuming that Yahoo! default scoring settings are in effect.

1. Shawn Marion, Pho, F

I've heard the rationale for why Marion will fall from the top perch in fantasy hoops this season, mainly because Amare Stoudemire is back and/or Steve Nash will likely play fewer minutes per game this season. The thoughts are that Amare will dip into Marion's stats and/or less Nash means less stats for everyone to go around. As for the first argument, all you need to do is compare Marion's numbers from the '04-'05 season (Amare played 80 games) with his '05-'06 numbers (Amare played three games) and note the similarities. It's true that he improved in some areas last season, but it didn't put him over the top, it simply solidified his hold on the No. 1 spot. And while it at least seems realistic that less Nash would equal less production for Suns players, the fact that a lightning-quick point guard (Marcus Banks) is replacing a lightning-quick shooting guard (Leandro Barbosa) as Nash's primary backup should alleviate the tinge of concern that could creep up. And Boris Diaw will help facilitate the Suns' offense a great deal again this season. Neither of those arguments holds enough weight in my book.

Now that we've covered why Marion shouldn't not go No. 1 in fantasy hoops drafts this season, it makes sense to discuss why he is there to begin with. Consistency of excellence is the phrase that best describes what he brings to the table. His percentages are typically stellar, he's scored at least 19.1 points for five straight seasons, has had at least 9.3 boards in six straight, at least 1.1 threes in four straight, at least 1.7 steals in six straight, at least 1.2 blocks in four straight, and 2.0 or less turnovers in every season of his career. Oh yeah, and he's averaged 80.3 games played over the last six seasons. Take his worst showing in each statistical category from any of the past four seasons and put them all together, and you've still got a player that gets drafted in the first round. A lack of assists is, of course, the obvious "flaw" in his game, but that alone isn't a reason to pass him up. If Amare is all the way back this season, then Marion will likely return to his natural small forward position. There might be a slight dip in his rebounding, perhaps a point less in his scoring average, potentially a slight up-tick in his three-point totals, but when it's all said and done, Marion's overall production will be in familiar territory – the best that fantasy basketball has to offer.

2. Kevin Garnett, Min, PF

Garnett drew the ire of his fantasy owners for the first time in a long time last season when he sat out the Timberwolves' final six games with tendinitis in his right knee. Of course, much of the rage among the fantasy community was correctly directed at coach Dwane Casey, who sat Garnett (and Ricky Davis) partly to rest their nagging injuries but mostly to give the team's young players big minutes. Regardless, that was the first chink in KG's armor. It goes without saying, but Garnett has been putting up huge fantasy numbers for a long time. The reasons that he's your choice with the second pick instead of the first are the slight decline in defensive stats, no threes, and more turnovers than Marion. That's pretty much it. Garnett is probably feeling better than usual entering this season, as the T-Wolves have added Mike James and Randy Foye to fortify a team offense that was third-worst in points scored last season. While he still has little frontcourt help, he's got more talent around him overall, and the KG we've all come to know and love should once again deliver the goods this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

3. LeBron James, Cle, SF

I'm fully aware that there is a fairly strong "LeBron James at No. 1 overall" contingent in the fantasy hoops community. I was actually leading that charge last season, and, yes, he does have a sick stat-line. In head-to-head leagues, the argument certainly has merit, but then that would naturally progress into the whole "punting categories" strategy, which I find hard to condone. King James also has some numbers that are sick in a bad way – simply put, the combination of his free-throw shooting and turnovers puts him below the likes of Marion and KG in standard scoring leagues. James attempted the third-most free throws overall last season (814) and hit just 73.8 percent of them. That's below the league average of roughly 75 percent and a serious hindrance to success in that category. What is particularly troubling is that his shooting from the charity stripe has declined in three straight seasons, from 75.4 percent in '03-'04 to 75.0 percent in '04-'05 to last season's numbers. Granted, if it were just about the turnovers, it wouldn't be so much of a problem – 30/7/7 just about makes up for it – but until James either takes less free throws, makes more of them, or gets a bit closer to Oscar Robertson territory, he shouldn't be taken first (or second) overall.

4. Dirk Nowitzki, Dal, PF

Are you a Nowitzness? I thought that was a pretty clever play on Nike's slogan for LeBron last season that showed up during Dallas' playoff run. Anyway, Dirk is certainly a special talent, and a unique player in fantasy hoops. He's a power forward who doesn't skimp on the boards, but is also a low-turnover, high percentage perimeter scorer. His combination of numbers makes him a perennial top-5 pick, although he doesn't quite offer the total package that those players listed above do. You know the offensive output from Nowitzki will be sparkling, but what is of most concern from a fantasy perspective is his conspicuous drop in blocks and steals last season. He averaged 92.4 steals and 96.6 blocks in five seasons before totaling just 58 steals and 83 blocks last season. He did offset it a bit by averaging career highs in points (26.6) and percentages (48.0 percent field goal and 90.1 percent free throw), and he's still the best choice at fourth overall.

5. Kobe Bryant, LAK, SG

Kobe is a bit of a first round X-factor. He's got upside and downside from the fifth spot, which is why he should be drafted here. He's got the potential to be bothered by his current knee injury during the season, although his preseason hiatus is being termed as more precautionary than necessary; and on the court, he seemingly does as he pleases, both literally and figuratively, so in the end his overall stats are dictated by his own whims. Over the past three seasons, Kobe has ranged in scoring average by 11.4 points per game, in field goal attempts by 9.1 per game, in threes made by 1.2 per game, in assists by 1.5 per game, in steals by 0.5 per game, and turnovers by 1.5 per game. It's not that Kobe has had a bad season in recent memory, but it's just that his overall numbers might be best described as "like a box of chocolates." It's unlikely that he doesn't once again lead the league in scoring and field-goal attempts, but, frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't. He's a ridiculous talent and will put up phenomenal numbers again this season, but it's pretty difficult to get more specific than that.

6. Elton Brand, LAC, PF

I would be willing to make a bet that Brand won a lot of leagues for a lot of people as a second round pick, not just last season, but for most of the past six seasons. He's been a 20/10/2 (blocks) stalwart since his rookie season, but just managed to stay out of the first round. He's a second-rounder no more. In '05-'06, Brand averaged career highs in scoring (24.7 points per game), field goal percentage (52.7 percent on a career-high 9.6 attempts per game), and free throw percentage (77.5 percent), along with 10.0 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.0 steals, and 2.5 blocks. Brand is the prototypical fantasy big man, and you have a superb foundation in points, field goal percentage, boards, and blocks with Brand as your first round pick.

7. Gilbert Arenas, Was, PG

Arenas made serious noise in fantasy hoops last season, finishing fourth in the league in scoring at 29.3 points per game while averaging 2.5 threes, 6.1 assists, and 2.0 steals. The 24-year-old former second round NBA draft pick has emerged as one of the premier offensive threats in the game, and was particularly effective in the second half of last season, averaging 31.1 points on 47 percent shooting, 2.9 threes, 6.3 assists, and 2.4 steals after the All-Star break. If Arenas can keep his field goal percentage and assists trending upward and find a way to cut back on his turnovers (his 3.7 per game last season led the league), then at this time next year we might be talking about his warranting an even higher draft spot than No. 7 overall.

8. Dwyane Wade, Mia, G

You just gotta love D-Wade. He's money, and at this point you also have to assume that he knows it. He's just 24 years old, has an NBA title to his credit, and puts up among the best numbers in the game today. A closer look at those real-life numbers shows some real room for improvement from a fantasy perspective, however. He has finished second in the league in turnovers in consecutive seasons, and he has made just 42 three-pointers in 213 career games. It's worth noting that, after making just 17 percent of his 76 attempts from long range during the '05-'06 regular season, Wade made 14 of 37 (38 percent) in 23 games en route to the league championship. I, myself, am not ready to call it part of the arsenal just yet, but it's at least worth noting. Of concern for prospective Wade owners is the mystery hand ailment that was bothering him when camp opened (but seems to have subsided), and the fact that his busy offseason has questions of fatigue already coming up, despite the fact that we're 10 days from games that matter. But just remember when you are sitting there with pick No. 8 that it's D-Wade, and he's money.

9. Chris Paul, NOK, PG

It was evident that Paul was a really nice player coming out of Wake Forest, but who knew he'd blow up like he did? With averages of 16.1 points, 5.1 boards, 7.8 assists, and 2.2 steals, he was a top-15 talent as a rookie, and the sky is the limit. His field goal percentage was an average-ish 43.0 percent, but he made 84.7 percent of his free throws. New running mate Peja Stojakovic should help spread the floor a bit for Paul and should also turn a pretty good number of his passes into assists. Fantasy owners who are telling you about an impending sophomore slump must just say that about everyone – Paul is too talented to suddenly become a worse basketball player. Even modest improvements on last year's numbers, which I fully expect, put him in single digits in the player rankings.

10. Chris Bosh, Tor, PF, C

Bosh has developed quite a devout fan club among fantasy basketballers, and with good reason. He improved most facets of his game last season, averaging 22.5 points on 50.5 percent shooting, 9.2 boards, 1.1 blocks, and 81.6 percent free-throw shooting. Those sparkling percentages are what set him apart from most big men, and his tremendous upside is what has fantasy owners wondering what his '06-'07 stat line will end up looking like. Bosh himself told the Toronto Sun that he his goal is "something like" 20 points, 10 rebounds, two blocks, and one steal per game, adding that the defensive numbers are what he's "really focused on." Considering that his career high is 1.4 blocks, two per game might be a bit lofty, but you've got to appreciate the desire and confidence that it takes to set that kind of bar. You know the offense will come for Bosh – with a focus on defense this season, his overall numbers should warrant a pick at the tail end of the top 10.

11. Ray Allen, Sea, SG

Ray Allen attempts and makes a lot, and I mean a lot, of three-pointers. He also puts up good numbers overall, like the 25.1 points, 4.3 boards, 3.7 assists, 1.4 steals, and 90 percent free-throw shooting of last season, but it's his prowess from long-range that pushes him into the first round with the truly elite fantasy producers. Allen is a guy that won't really hurt you anywhere, gives you a great start in scoring and free-throw percentage, and makes you competitive in 3PTM all by his lonesome. Allen is a "safe" pick at No. 11 overall – he doesn't have the upside of some players before him on this list, but he has virtually no downside.

12. Yao Ming, Hou, C

On a per-game basis, Yao Ming was slightly more effective of a fantasy player than Bosh last season. In 57 games, he averaged 22.3 points on 51.9 percent shooting, 10.2 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, and 85.3 percent free throw shooting. He did miss 21 games after having surgery on his big toe, however. Of course, after he returned to the court, Yao simple went off. In 25 games after the All-Star break, he averaged 25.7 points on 53.7 percent shooting, 11.6 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, and 87.9 percent free throw shooting. But, Yao has battled soreness in the same big toe this preseason, and he missed nine days of practice after having it (toe nail) removed early in camp, the fourth time he's had the procedure since July 2004. Drafting Yao is a calculated risk, but certainly one I am willing to take with the final pick in the first round of drafts this season.

Dear NBA & D-League GMs,

There is a big problem with the D-League, a simple problem of draft schedule conflict.

Fatso,

You might have a mutiny brewing :) Changing the original draft date/time without consulting the other managers will surely rub some people the wrong way.

Problem pa with the live draft sked these days is that biglang napuno ang mga dates sa yahoo sports. Papalapit na kasi ang season opener so ang hirap magpalit.

Fatso,

You might have a mutiny brewing :) Changing the original draft date/time without consulting the other managers will surely rub some people the wrong way.

Problem pa with the live draft sked these days is that biglang napuno ang mga dates sa yahoo sports. Papalapit na kasi ang season opener so ang hirap magpalit.

I'm sorry. I don't want to make such a big fuss out of this but after reading the thread since last year, the baseball fantasy thread too, how you guys do things, I thought that would hold true also for the D-League. Sayang, I missed out on the chance to be considered for the Main League. :(

Fatso,

in defense of fats0

this was his pm to me when i got the d-league password

Gud am pre!

Yahoo! League ID# xxxx

Password: xxx

League Settings are as follows:

Draft Type: Live Draft

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head

Max Moves: 75

Max Trades: No maximum

Trade Reject Time: 3

Trade End Date: March 8, 2007

Waiver Time: 2 days

Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

Trade Review: Commissioner but members will vote on the trade.. 5/10 (or 6/12) VOTES AGAINST the trade will veto the trade.

Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules

Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow

Start Scoring on: Week 1

Roster Positions:PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories: FG%, FTM, FT%, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO, A/T

Draft day is temporarily set on OCTOBER 28, 11AM.

------

thus my assumption that the original date was 28 there 27 here which works perfectly for me

na-backread ko lang...

all i can say is that your team has an edge or two or more... and here are the reasons why... :)

you got a serious guard lineup with wade, kidd, and a. miller... this will be the heart and soul of your team... these guys can score at will while dishing and snagging away the ball... but here's the gist why i feel giddy with this trio... they all have a knack where the ball will land... wade is averaging 5rpg, kidd 6.5rpg, and a. miller 4.3rpg... that's close to 16 caroms per outing... the downsides of the three are their paltry 3pt shooting...

jamison will get his usual numbers big numbers in points, shooting, and rebounds... and mediocre-to-none defensive stats... murphy is nursing a broken nose and people are looking whether his new role as center in the new scheme don nelson will be implementing in the bay area will be a boon or bane... both okafor and boozer are coming off from injury-laden seasons but they are too good to be overlooked...

sleeper pick = m. miller... gasol is out up to three months... glue guy battier is now with the rockets... leaving miller as a prime option on offense... s. jackson's zany off-season dragged him down the rankings yet it is still very hard to overlook his strengths... meanwhile, ty. thomas will get his minutes later in the season and will depend if he can blossom easily with chicago's nosy play...

for the rest of your draft picks... well... it gives you four slots for guys in the fa pool who are playing good basketball... :cool:

guys,

nagcreate ako bago email para lang makasali sa ibang public league. hehe..

eto lineup ko.. pakiassess nga po. thanks.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/jon_us172/TeamPilipinasdraft06.jpg

I vehemently am opposed to any move to change the Max Moves. 3 per week is more than enough.

To say that the season hasn't started yet is wrong. We've already drafted and some teams have already started to make roster moves. That technically starts the season coz it relates to Max Moves which we are trying to tamper.

Do I have to say it?

NO. :)

i agree... 60 moves is more than enough... let's make this work like an experts' league...

...anyway, me suggestion ako, pero alam ko maraming papalag... remember last year? we added an extra bench spot (due to the no IL rule @ yahoo)...

...i've observed the FA pool, and, man, there are worlds of potential waiting to be picked outta that pool...

...i'm half hearted about this, but, can we add an extra util or bench spot??? so we can offset the possible transaction restraint by the "60 moves" clause...

...just thinking... im a-ok if this doesn't hit anything... peace!

Dear NBA & D-League GMs,

The ORIGINAL sked for the draft is OCTOBER 28, SATURDAY 11am (Manila Time).

Hindi pa binabago yan since ginawa yung league. Check nyo yung "View All" sa "Recent Transactions" tab. You'll see that the only things changed were the Scoring positions (dagdag ng 1 Util) & Max Moves changed to 75.

Baka di CST ang time mo... I dont see any BIG problems in the D-League. ;)

=========

Ang original na naka-sked sa Friday Oct 27 9PM is The Champions League (which is now moved to Oct 28 8.30AM).. so di ko pwede pagsabayin yun (D-League & Champs League draft). Unless kasama si Jumpman sa Champs League, i dunno kung san galing yung Oct 27 ang draft day.

Edited by fatso8
i agree... 60 moves is more than enough... let's make this work like an experts' league...

...anyway, me suggestion ako, pero alam ko maraming papalag... remember last year? we added an extra bench spot (due to the no IL rule @ yahoo)...

...i've observed the FA pool, and, man, there are worlds of potential waiting to be picked outta that pool...

...i'm half hearted about this, but, can we add an extra util or bench spot??? so we can offset the possible transaction restraint by the "60 moves" clause...

...just thinking... im a-ok if this doesn't hit anything... peace!

Tally Update (Re: Change in number of waiver moves):

Yes: 1 vote

No: 4 votes

Re additional util/bench spot,

This was already raised prior to the draft and there was no strong support from the managers. In fact, I even reduced the C spot to one precisely because we did not want the FA pool to be too thin. In any case, I do not see the 60-move limit as a restraint at all. Sobra nga dami na nyan eh. Kung ako lang ang masusunod, kahit 30 or 40 pwede na.

Edited by agentjackbauer