• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Masteral - Any Plans?

I've dealt with plenty of MBA grads in my work, DLSU/ADMU pa. One thing I observed lacking in them is lateral thinking. As one of the above posts said, one needs "the art of the hustle" when doing business. No business school will teach you that. In layman's terms, common sense + diskarte is all that's needed. If I were to choose again, I'd rather have chosen Industrial Design or some other Math or engineering course for my undergrad. This is coming from a DLSU business grad.

may point ka jan dude!

Engineering pa rin ang indemand sa laht ng courses!

or such I say sa technical side!

ndi ka xe mawawalan ng work!

kylangan mo lng ng progress! katulad ng Masteral!

MBA is a good investment should you intend to propel your career. Take it from me. Completed my MBA at ATeneo Rockwel. Soon after graduation, i was hired as an AVP from a managerial position and is now considering a VP position from a real estate company through my headhunter. MBA helps...BIGTIME!

I've dealt with plenty of MBA grads in my work, DLSU/ADMU pa. One thing I observed lacking in them is lateral thinking. As one of the above posts said, one needs "the art of the hustle" when doing business. No business school will teach you that. In layman's terms, common sense + diskarte is all that's needed. If I were to choose again, I'd rather have chosen Industrial Design or some other Math or engineering course for my undergrad. This is coming from a DLSU business grad.

I think an MBA program hones up your essential business skills (core programs) but enhancements or supplements to your essential business skills (application skills)are not well emphasized in the curriculum.

Creative & entrepreneurial thinking, thinking out of the box as stand alone courses not usually part of core programs of MBA. Concepts of these application skills are found embedded within the core subjects. Big picture thinking is taugh in business strategy subjects, systems thinking in financial and quantitstive subjects. Forecasting is actually an exercise in creative thinking.

A few MBA students will realize that these core programs are already teaching you these methods of thinking and application of your essential business skills. For me, the realization came much later, years after I got my MBA degree. Just my two cents.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all!

I'm thinking of getting my MBA degree. I'm currently a registered nurse who is having a hard time getting a job but I have a mini-business of buy and sell (gadgets and vehicles). Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge about the MBA programs from different schools? Which would you recommend? I am considering my financial limitation so don't recommend AIM and the likes. :lol:

PS

Will this be a good decision for me? Share me your thoughts.

Thanks!

Good Morning, elijahpaul. I'm presently taking my MBA right now at UP Diliman. So medyo biased ako to say na dun ka na lang mag-apply. Till January 28, 2011 pa ang application.

Pero, I'll present to you what I've heard/know of the following three business schools in the country:

• UP College of Business Administration MBA Program - one of the top programs in the country (or so were told). It's also the cheapest in terms of tuition, since it is a state university. This program has been said to be heavily quantitative, meaning it focuses on analysis of the numbers crunched by your subordinates (they assume that the MBA students will become, or are already, managers in their professions).
  • Ateneo Graduate School of Business School MBA Program - I've heard that the Ateneo program leans more on the qualitative side, meaning the professors share their experiences and knowledge of being managers themselves. You'll need to do some more research on this, unfortunately.
  • Asian Institute of Management MBA Program - with its international ties, the AIM program is indeed one of the best in the country. Of course, it is also the most expensive.

Bahala ka nang humusga at pumili. They all have websites for you to see which one you think would offer you the best education. Good luck sa iyong future endeavor.

P.S.

An MBA degree is always a good investment. An MBA degree put you ahead of your peers for that career advancement. But most importantly, marami kang matututunan na pwede mong gamitin, beyond those that you can use in your profession.

Edited by Darien Faust
  • 3 weeks later...

Im a researcher in plant genetics and molecular biology. In this kind of career, going to grad school and finishing PhD (or at least a Masters, but get a PhD instead) is a must if you dream of conducting your own research someday. I finished my MS degree in the US two years ago. Im going back there to start my PhD program next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm thinking of getting my MBA degree. I'm currently a registered nurse who is having a hard time getting a job but I have a mini-business of buy and sell (gadgets and vehicles). Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge about the MBA programs from different schools? Which would you recommend? I am considering my financial limitation so don't recommend AIM and the likes. :lol:

PS

Will this be a good decision for me? Share me your thoughts.

Thanks!

Bro, let's get some things straight first.

1. You're a registered nurse. Isn't it more practical to get a MBA degree which is most leaning toward your college degree? Correct me if I'm wrong but Ms erika123 and Mr Darien Faust were most probably referring to post-graduate degrees related to business like Bus Admi and Bus Mgmt. If ever you pushed through, I am not so sure as to how would you cope up with the MBA courses. Your profs will be assuming that you already had the basics in college so you should have at least some sort of idea what the course is all about. I do not think that your nursing college course has financial statement analysis, business calculus and statistics, and other business subjects.

2. You mentioned that you're in a business already. If you're planning to be an entrepreneur, you might just need some business seminars like "Accounting for Non-accountants" and other similar topics. You might want to consider this option. IMHO, those who get MBA's are mostly academicians or corporate people who have a "ladder" to climb. If you do decide to enter the corporate rat race, having a MBA under your belt is a sure advantage on paper.

3. Aside from financial considerations, you must also consider time availability. Studying while working is no easy task. Doing research takes a lot of time and making written reports mostly take the nights away. Internet is a great help but not everything you need is served on a platter. Legworks during research are also not avoidable.

4. Lastly, if you start and do not finish, then everything just will go to waste. Like my lola said, "Do not start what you cannot finish.". No need to expound on this matter.

Think about it and consider all options before making the leap!

PS. I got my MBA from neither of the three institutions mentioned earlier. Still , it was not a walk in the park. ;)