Linux Anybody?

It's got a better 'plug and play' than Windows... When installing windows, I always have to have the drivers for my video card, sound card and LAN ready along with the Windows XP installer. With Ubuntu, I just pop in the disc and tell it to install... and it also install while I'm surfing the web pa. The only problem I have with it is that most of the softwares that I need to install are in the internet pa.

the repositories are online to allow faster updates and reconstructs, di ba ang update ng M$ is 2x a month ang linux mga 2-3 days lang.

*Hello po, this is a re-post from another forum. I'm just putting it here since I think it's a related subject. I'm also the original author of this post...*

Hi! Sorry for double posting, I'm just excited about a thing I've learned today. Sorry kung medyo novice na novice ang dating at talagang naaliw lang ako.

I received a CD from a client for whom I am making an online store. The CD contained 169 images of products that I had to resize from 1000+ pixels in width to somewhere around 300px. Additionally, I had to make a thumbnail for each of them.

Of course, coming from a Photoshop background and remembering quite well my last post, the first thing that came to mind was "how do I make the GIMP do repetitive stuff like how Photoshop does it with its Actions utility?" After an hour of searching and attempting to learn Script-fu, I was led to the idea that perhaps The GIMP isn't what I needed to accomplish my present task.

Right, so what I really needed was "Mogrify", a command line tool that comes with ImageMagick. And here are the simple steps, which I hope will be useful for others, that allowed me to resize 169 images, do some basic brightness/contrast operations, and make thumbnails for each in less than 10 minutes:

(Again, install ImageMagick if you don't have it yet.)

1. Make a directory for image files that need conversion. Copy-paste the files to that directory.

2. Open a terminal and cd to that directory.

3. Run "mogrify -resample 72 -resize 300 -sigmoidal-contrast 5x50 *", this will take several minutes depending on the number and size of the files to be processed. It also begs to mention -resample is the DPI value and -resize is the width in PIXELS. The thing will preserve the original image's proportions.

4. Run "mkdir thumbnails" then "cp * thumbnails/".

5. cd to the thumbnails folder and run "mogrify -resize 100 *", which resizes the copied files to 100px wide.

*Added here, also by me:*

You can also use this script. Copy and paste to a text editor and save as mogrify-make-gallery.sh in your bin:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# This script is for resizing images found in a given directory

# Run the script in the directory of your target images: mogrify-make-gallery.sh

echo

echo -----------------------------------------------------------

echo Image Gallery Modifier v 1.0 by Arielle B Cruz

echo Written for ZsaZsaZsu-Bijoux.com

echo This script relies on ImageMagick and Mogrify.

echo -----------------------------------------------------------

echo Resizing original images to 300px wide,

echo this may take some time. Please wait.

mogrify -resample 72 -resize 300 -sigmoidal-contrast 5x50 *

echo Applying noise-reducing enhancement.

mogrify -enhance *

echo Creating thumbnails sub-folder.

mkdir thumbnails

echo Creating thumbnails, 100px wide each.

cp * thumbnails/

cd thumbnails

mogrify -resize 100 *

echo Applying noise-reducing enhancement.

mogrify -enhance *

echo Done. Mabuhay\!

echo

#end of mogrify-make-gallery.sh

good afternoon,

me consensus ba kung ano distro gamit ng user dito?

here:

LAMP = SuSE 10.0 OSS

Desktop = openSuSE 10.2

slackware user since '97 (on diskettes) here :)

using droplinegnome on top of slackware for the gui, samba for windows interop, iptables/netfilter for the firewall.

The only problem I have with it is that most of the softwares that I need to install are in the internet pa.

once you get the hang of it, i'll bet you would prefer installing the programs you need from tarballs. binary packages on the internet are compiled with the options as needed by the people compiling them, may or may not include the options you need.

but then, take your time. you'll learn along the way ;)

quick question lang po:

balak ko bumili ng bagong HDD, gagawin ko sanang dual-boot. Ano ang mas maganda/mas madaling unahin na i-install, Ubuntu (or kahit na anong Linux na rin) or Windows XP? Ano ang advantages/disadvantages ng uunahin mo ang Ubuntu over Windows (and v.v.)? Thanks :)

by experience mas madali unahin mo muna windows, then install linux. then use the boot loader, GRUB or Lilo (my preference), to boot your windows and linux OS. straight forward ang config.

advantage/disadvatage: windows setup will overwrite your boot sector no matter what, killing any non-ntldr boot loader in place, linux boot loader will prompt you, or allow you to modify config files, for partitions you wanted to boot plus a customised boot menu if you want to :)

by experience mas madali unahin mo muna windows, then install linux. then use the boot loader, GRUB or Lilo (my preference), to boot your windows and linux OS. straight forward ang config.

advantage/disadvatage: windows setup will overwrite your boot sector no matter what, killing any non-ntldr boot loader in place, linux boot loader will prompt you, or allow you to modify config files, for partitions you wanted to boot plus a customised boot menu if you want to :)

Wow, that was fast! Pwede kang magtrabaho sa call center, ang bilis mo kasing mag-respond ;)

Thanks for the tip! Duly noted :D

quick question lang po:

balak ko bumili ng bagong HDD, gagawin ko sanang dual-boot. Ano ang mas maganda/mas madaling unahin na i-install, Ubuntu (or kahit na anong Linux na rin) or Windows XP? Ano ang advantages/disadvantages ng uunahin mo ang Ubuntu over Windows (and v.v.)? Thanks :)

try mo rin gumamit ng virtualization software para safe yung windows partition just in case :thumbsupsmiley:

Hey guys, di ko alam bakit di ako nagtatanong dito dati pa. Who's using linux and surfing via wifi? I've installed mandrake, mepis, and ubuntu on my laptop however none of them could support wifi surfing. Although sa totoo lang mas madaling magpatakbo ng hardware using linux. never had a problem looking for drivers. Sa windows nagkaproblem pa ako.

Been using GNU/Linux since 1995, Slackware 3.0. It's grown a long way since then, and have used it on every computer I've ever owned since then. I actually do it for a living, so you might say that I'm something of a guru.

My advice to anyone who wants to give it a shot: Try Ubuntu 7.04. If you want a copy have a blank DVD ready and give me a message...

hi ubuntu users, maybe you guys can help.

i've posted this question in the ubuntu forum but only a few answered and none of their suggestions worked

so i'm hoping a local ubuntu user has experienced this problem and found a solution

anyway, its an internet connection problem. we have a p4 PC that has worked fine and connected to the internet with version 6.10. however when we upgraded to version 7.04, the pc won't connect to the internet.

it has built in LAN and we are using a DSL modem.

when we checked the network tools it listed three "connections":

1. loopback interface

2. eth0

3. eth0:avahi

none of them work.

we tried the pppoeconf command and a host of other things, still no internet.

Help!! :(