How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

may mga balikbayan na nagiging praktikal sa buhay dhil buhay dito sa pinas masyadong relaks kya hindi umaasenso

may mga balikbayan na nalimutan na ang sariling wika kya panay english na pinagsasabi khit ung kausap nila e hinde nman marunong mag english

may mga balikbayan na kala mo ay hindi nasisinagan ng araw saksakan na ng arte pag nainitan

at maraming balikbayan na mayabang kesa sa mga amerikano kinakaila na cla ay pilipino

At maraming balikbayan din:

- ang nakakatulong mapagtapos mag-aral ang mga anak, o kapatid o kamag-anak;

- ang nagdadag ng dolyar (at iba pang klase ng pera ) sa 'pinas bawat uwi nila mula sa America o kung saan pang ibang bansa;

- ang parating handang magpadala ng pera pag may "national disaster" sa 'pinas.

Cheers! :)

• 3 weeks later...

BALIKBAYANS - Filipinos or Fil-Foreigners who have established residency abroad (and/or acquired foreign citizenships) and are RETURNING to the Philippines either on a short temporary visit or holiday or to re-establish residency or citizenship in the country or to retire.

If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong), this is the essence of the description given by the Department of Tourism to this specific group of travelers to the country. In fact, there is a separate and dedicated marketing campaign just for the BALIKBAYAN market which is dominated largely by U.S.-based Filipinos.

Overseas Filipino Workers belong to a totally separate classification (they are based abroad because of their work or profession) even if technically they travel or "return" back to the Philippines after their work contracts expire.

Maybe this thread should have been more specific as to what particular characteristics or behavior of BALIKBAYANS (as opposed to OFWs) that locally-based Filipinos view.

Several decades ago, many locally-based Filipinos viewed Balikbayans (especially those coming from the U.S.) as more "advanced," sophisticated, educated, relatively more affluent, open/liberal-minded or "modern," stylish, and ahead with global news and trends. They were also viewed at times to be arrogant, "mayabang" with that "walang ganyan sa States" attitude.

It's a totally different scene today in this borderless, globalized world. With real-time online digital communication, the Philippines is as up-to-trends with any other country in the world. A local can be as hip-hop or better than his L.A. cousin. We get the same (although cheaper) GAP, POLO, FUBU, U2, NIKE, LACOSTE, etc. that you can get anywhere in the world. The main difference I guess is that here, we are experiencing some kind of resurgence of Filipino pride and patriotic spirit (what with Manny Paquiao, Efren Reyes, Josie Biyo, Mon David and other internationally-acclaimed Pinoys are doing) while abroad, many of our kababayans are struggling with cultural identity issues, racial discrimination and even persecution.

And if we don't watch it in this borderless age, we are becoming as vulnerable as BALIKBAYANS and OFWs in losing our unique ethno-cultural traits, traditions and values to the foreign cultures that many have assimilated themselves into.

Edited by teejoe

I'm viewed as Joy and Happiness in their life for the short time I do visit.

I'm viewed as the emergency plan in thier life when they really need money.

I'm viewed as the bad person in their life when I say no, I'm not letting you borrow money for that reason.

I'm viewed as the VERY BAD PERSON in their life when I mention the fact that I do work for my money and I don't just pick it up off the streets, so stop asking.

Hmm...I wonder if there are any balikbayans who experience getting treats from their friends. In my case, I'm always "taya." Even if some of them are the ones inviting me to eat out, they never reach for their wallets when the bill comes. They never offer to shoulder the fare for a taxi cab. But I don't mind. It's their company that counts.

In my sister's case, she gets the royal treatment by her friends when she returns to the Philippines. She never spends any money on her friends. They're the ones spending money on her.

I think the reason for this is the difference in our barkadas. Her friends and ex-classmates are very rich and mine belong to the masses. Ahihihi. :D

• 1 month later...
balikbayans? from my own personal experiences its been a mix of positive and negative. some people seem friendly about it while others seem to harbor some animosity if a person is a balikbayan. how do you view balikbayans.

by the way ...im 27, born in the PI but moved to the US when i was 6.

i hate to say this, but a lot of pinoys look at balikbayans as if balikbayans are made of money.....

typical things said by locals to balikbayans: manlibre ka naman, lakas-lakas mo kumita eh.....pabili naman.....pahingi naman ng ganito.....konting tulong naman etc. etc. etc.

Yung iba kala mu kung sino na after makabalik. inglish ng inglish e kasusap nila alam naman nilang hindi magaling mag inglish..

hmm ganyan din ang tingin ko noon sa mnga balikbayan but pag ikaw ay naka abroad ng matagal maiintindihan mo na din sila lalo yung matagal nag nagsta outside sa pinas and ang medium of communication ay english talagang lagi silang mag english dahil masasanay sila

I do the same for my cousins whenever they visit us here

ika nga "Its the TOT that KANT's"

Hmm...I wonder if there are any balikbayans who experience getting treats from their friends. In my case, I'm always "taya." Even if some of them are the ones inviting me to eat out, they never reach for their wallets when the bill comes. They never offer to shoulder the fare for a taxi cab. But I don't mind. It's their company that counts.

In my sister's case, she gets the royal treatment by her friends when she returns to the Philippines. She never spends any money on her friends. They're the ones spending money on her.

I think the reason for this is the difference in our barkadas. Her friends and ex-classmates are very rich and mine belong to the masses. Ahihihi. :D

How do I see Balik-bayans?

1. With a tinge of jealousy. Not because of their money but because they go out of this country and found better opportunities for themselves.

2. Some balik-bayans think they are know-it-alls. Commenting on how bad it is here in the Phils. or telling how we should run our lives but never having the balls to stick their necks in this poor and awfully managed country.

3. A lot do have a genuine heart for their countrymen, wishing they could do more for their country if not only due to the shortage of opportunities and hope that they find themselves risking life and limb abroad.

I have travelled quite a few times myself due to work assignments and I have met a lot of OFWs. One common thing that I never fail to hear is "kawawa naman ang Pilipinas". Whether it's a sincere gesture or a back-handed let down of our countrymen, it's obvious that Hope continues to fade.

Most balikbayans are heroes....i think a lot of us have immediate family members who worked abroad and remit money to the Philippines...and the country should be grateful for that coz the remittances have kept the Philippine economy afloat....however, some balikbayans are arrogant fools...know it all...the truly learned and educated ones are more understanding....i have lived overseas for several years and have encountered both types......anyway, am based home (for good) now and nothing beats being in one's motherland..

As a balikbayan, one thing that turns me off is when my friends ask for "pasalubong." If I can afford to give them all "pasalubongs," I will ask them in advance what they want . But if I feel that they are obliging me to bring them some goodies, then I resent them and make it a point not to see them when I'm in the Philippines. I won't even call them.

Balikbayans are not made of money. We toil hard. We work hard for the money.

As a balikbayan, one thing that turns me off is when my friends ask for "pasalubong." If I can afford to give them all "pasalubongs," I will ask them in advance what they want . But if I feel that they are obliging me to bring them some goodies, then I resent them and make it a point not to see them when I'm in the Philippines. I won't even call them.

Balikbayans are not made of money. We toil hard. We work hard for the money.

I definitely agree. It's a misconception that people back home think that just because were simply bailkbayan automatically means were loaded.

• 3 months later...
I definitely agree. It's a misconception that people back home think that just because were simply bailkbayan automatically means were loaded.

I pity balikbayans. I have seen how they live. I almost turned into one. It does not really matter if the balikbayan is a well paid doctor or nurse with overtime credits overflowing or a simple TNT custodian who has to work odd jobs at odd hours of the day.

They lead the same hard life. They have to put up with their white or egoy bosses; they have to do their own household chores because even if they can afford it, the hardship they went through to earn the money they would have to spend has turned them into penny pinching misers. What a stressful life.

So when they finally come to the Philippines for a visit (probably after accumulating enough 'miles' flying around the US for their work so that they get a free ticket) I try to make sure they have an easy time. I put them up in a small hotel where they have privacy, assign a car and driver to them so they can go wherever they please. When they bitch about the traffic, I tell them to just layback and sleep it off since they are not doing the driving anyway.

Despite the traffic, they wonder why feeding a car at the rate of 11 mpg (about 4 km/l) seems to be not a problem (gas is still much cheaper in Manila); and why a 6,000 square foot home (about 600 sqm) seems to be a standard among middle class families. And they marvel at the squad of 'kasambahays'; and how our teenage kids are polite and do not back talk despite being pampered by their yayas--even if they can't call 911 to complain about corporal punishment.

Next week I have another batch of relatives coming in. Doctors. They have to do their annual medical mission to the country ostensibly to dispense free medical advice and meds. But I know better. Its a tax shelter. They get to claim back their expenses by several magnitudes enough so that the cost of their entire trip is 'washed' by the reduction in tax they pay their IRS. I'm not letting on that I know. Let them feel like the returning benevolent lost relatives back from the crusades.

And when they finally return to their daily stateside grind, I will sit back, enjoy the sunset from my porch sipping a freshly brewed cup of UCC's Blue Mountain No. 1.

Masarap pa rin sa 'pinas.