How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

Nothing just a plain unsucessful person here in PI who's biting the bullet of being treated even below third class citizens abroad.

I agree with your statement brother... That's the reality of life abroad...  :thumbsdownsmiley:

how can you guys be so negatively judgemental? :thumbsdownsmiley:

do you even try to get to know the balikbayan about whom you generalize?

and just what is a third class citizen?

how can you guys be so negatively judgemental?  :thumbsdownsmiley:

do you even try to get to know the balikbayan about whom you generalize?

and just what is a third class citizen?

You're right,but let them write their own opinion on how they view "BALIKBAYANS"....siguro nga balikbayans wre third class citizens from them,wether it is true or not again its their opinion...............Para sa akin balikbayans were brave and a hero as well..brave coz they choose to be apart from their loveones for their own good, working hard and facing the fact of being lonely living in another country.hero?coz aside from their family getting the profit,lets not forget that the balikbayans also has a contribution in our country(kahit na small contribution lang)....and for being a "THIRD CLASS CITIZEN"?as what they've said,well if they were successful enough to say that..good for them...yun lang po :hypocritesmiley: PEACE :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a balikbayan and I'm posting based on my experience. So far, I haven't experienced any form of animosity towards those who know that I'm now based in the US and just go to the Philippines for a two-week vacation at least once a year. When I return for a vacation, I always make it a point to dress down - jeans and plain shirt, cheapest watch and pair of earrings. I also speak in straight Tagalog (not Taglish nor English).

I find it funny though when I hold EBs for my Pinoy cyberfriends. They would always ask if I still know how to speak in Tagalog! I would laugh and blurt out, "Syempre naman. Dito ako ipinanganak at di naman Inggles ang salita namin sa bahay eh." Then, they would tell me about other balikbayans from the US and who have only been here for 3 years claiming that they've forgotten the language. You can tell the wanna-bes based on their fake accents...di consistent kaya halata.

But when I revert to English, my American twang would sometimes peek and show itself. Ahihihi. :D

To be continued ... I have to do the laundry. :P

I portray balik bayans as the real professionals. They are the ones who are out there willing to prove themselves in their field and being the best there is in the world. They are the ones we should be thankful for as an example of the real back bone of our society. They help their family by working out there and giving them a good life. Salute to you guys and ingat wherever you are !

sad to say some filipinos who go abroad eh yumayabang pag bumalik dito...mga feeling...1 yr lang sa states eh kung maka english eh kala mo di na marunong magtagalog...

ive been there...im actually a dual citizen...gone back numerous times...and am actually staying here sa 'pinas at the moment...i love it here...been in the us for 16 yrs na...i could speak good english...PERO...makata pa din ako pagdating sa tagalog hehehe and im not ashamed of it...

sad to say some filipinos who go abroad eh yumayabang pag bumalik dito...mga feeling...1 yr lang sa states eh kung maka english eh kala mo di na marunong magtagalog...

ive been there...im actually a dual citizen...gone back numerous times...and am actually staying here sa 'pinas at the moment...i love it here...been in the us for 16 yrs na...i could speak good english...PERO...makata pa din ako pagdating sa tagalog hehehe and im not ashamed of it...

So what is your point then? Yumayabang ka na since uve been there for 16 years? lol what a reply.

So what is your point then? Yumayabang ka na since uve been there for 16 years? lol what a reply.

my point is...hmm no point? hehe...kidding...hmm mejo di nga clear...sorry bro...my point is...you should not forget your roots...where you came from...di mo basta basta makakalimutan yung wika mo sa loob lamang ng isa o dalawang taon...pero yun nga meron iba na ganon na kung mag-aasta..sabi ko nga labing anim na taon ako nanatili sa states pero di na naman nawala ang kaalaman ko sa wika natin...sabi ko naman sa iba lang hindi ko naman nilalahat ng balikbayan from the us...Yung IBA pag umuwi parang yumabang…but im sure majority goes home because we love this country

peace :thumbsupsmiley:

Filipinos always put the balikbayans on a higher pedestal... galing lang naman sila ng ibang bansa, they're not different from us, nakakahigit lang naman sila sa lifestyle meaning they have the money to buy what they want but not all of course.

But we Filipinos always show how much in awe we are of them. Nakakainis talaga. Geeeezzz, give me a break. Mag a abroad na nga ako :lol:

Filipinos always put the balikbayans on a higher pedestal... galing lang naman sila ng ibang bansa, they're not different from us, nakakahigit lang naman sila sa lifestyle meaning they have the money to buy what they want but not all of course.

But we Filipinos always show how much in awe we are of them. Nakakainis talaga. Geeeezzz, give me a break. Mag a abroad na nga ako  :lol:

thats true...which shouldnt be the case...afterall..they are still working hard for the money...perhaps even harder...

i'll be coming back to the philippines soon. so that makes me a balikbayab.

I am a canadian imigrant, but was born in the philippines. I've been in canada for 1 year. One day my canadian co-worker told me i sound canadian when i say some sentences. I told him i don't want to sound canadian and id rather have my hard filipino accent because it gives me identity :D

my boss likes me because i am hardworking and i always make sure i don't leave the job unfinished.

since, i am the only filipino guy in a batch of 20 white co-workers and most of them have'nt worked with a filipino before, i always tell them filipinos are very hard working..

pansin ko lang , the more you embrace your culture, the more people respect you :thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...