How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

As far as I knowm beofre RA 9225 was passed, non-citizens can buy property but with limitations.  Only a certain sqm of urban and rural land.  With the new law, there is no limitation.  So, how much is your auntie's property and hwo dis she acquire it?

shes got an urban land and a rural land, as far as i know the rural land (not really rural like farm land but more province) is the biggest i cant get a definite sqm but its big very big its next to the beach if i have to say you can probably build an average size SM mall & parking lot to boot...she purchased this about 4 years ago, the urban lot in Cebu was about 10 years ago...

We are about to buy one also in Panglao island or Anda in Bohol but my father didnt continue coz he said its a waste since were not living there....

Edited by luol_deng
We are about to buy one also in Panglao island or Anda in Bohol but my father didnt continue coz he said its a waste since were not living there....

OT: (sorry, sorry) Your father was very right on that one. If you're not there to at least check on your property on a regular basis, forget it. Papasukan yan ng squatter. And once they're there, it becomes very difficult to turn them away.

Again, my apologies for the OT. I just couldn't resist.

i lifted below from the faq on dual citizenship law. if you qualify to be dual citizen, then you can own property. the Philippine constitution prohibits foreign ownership of land, except for a condominium where foreigners can own upto 40% of the condominium corporation which owns the condo building. purchase of condo unit usually has a share of the condo corporation attached to it.

Can I now acquire land and other properties or engage in business?

As provided for under the 1987 Philippine Constitution, a Filipino citizen is entitled to purchase land and other properties and engage in business. There is no limit in terms of area or size of land or real property he/she could acquire/purchase under his/her name. This right would now apply to former natural-born Filipinos who have re-acquired Philippine citizenship under RA 9225.

Edited by masi
OT: (sorry, sorry)  Your father was very right on that one.  If you're not there to at least check on your property on a regular basis, forget it.  Papasukan yan ng squatter.  And once they're there, it becomes very difficult to turn them away.

Again, my apologies for the OT.  I just couldn't resist.

no thats right man, even if we had some family stay there and if we went home for holiday it would be very hard for them to leave and of course more bad on us to say ok leave the house for 1 month or so...and not also that it wouldnt feel like our/your house coz the people staying there would would feel like its their house you know imagine living there for almost a year or so even though we own the house it would be hard for them to move off or sleep somewhere lower than the master room etc...but then again it is our house hahaha :evil:

• 2 weeks later...

let's go back to the topic D A M N I T!!!

i've been living in the US for 13 years now, and several friends also... although maraming bad vibes about balikbayans, we really don't care... all we know is even though we can almost afford almost anything here in the states, with hardwork of course, we never forget pinas... as a matter of fact, whenever we get together here in the states, we ALWAYS talk about when we are going back to pinas because it is so much fun in pinas... if we can just afford to go back more than once a year, we will... pinas is great, we love the motherland... and the gimik is endless! we just wanna have fun without stepping on someone's toes.

• 3 months later...

well i hope our fellow pinoys also understand our balikbayans like us, firstly we live in a foreign land so we really have to adapt to their culture and environment doing so nasasanay ka na sa ganoong pamumuhay or salita like me living in austria where german language is a must. so pag balik namin sa pinas we cannot transform back easily and mingle with our kababayans remember we are living outside the country in years kaya mahirap talaga lalo na sa language i even sometimes forget the tagalog terms in certain situtation. so hopefully we should be understood.

i

this is how i view balikbayans..

1. feeling nila importante sila.. kasi sila yung may pera..

2. they tend to compare everything here...  "walang ganyan sa states"

3. suddenly they forgot how to ride a jeepney... For all i know before jeep lang palagi sinasakyan kasi can't afford sa taxi

4. large photoalbums in the sala.. para makita sa lahat na mga ignoramus na relatives... that they have been to disneyland,las vegas, los angeles ,newyork, slide slide sa snow... ganun....

5. big 24k necklaces... to show again to us ignoramus that they are already mighty monetarily...  For all i know before na andito pa sila sa pinas, fancy jewelry lang ang kaya..

6. ayaw na mag ride nang tricycle...

7. slang slang

8. and many others too many to mention

* Remember  balikbayans that you are born here..... No matter how much money, or success you have, you are still pinoys and still a stranger in that foreign land..

i pity you judging us balikbayans like that

1. yes we are important just as like we treat you thats why nagdadala kami ng pasalubing sa inyo coz we also feel your important to us. we are here to have a vacation so we want to be feel really like a guest.

2. yes we cant help but compare seeing the other part of the fence makes you compare but not to criticize in fact naawa kami dahil bakit hindi natin magawa sa sarili nating bayan.

3. yes we forget ikaw ba naman ang tumira ng 4 or even 2 years sa ibang bansa kahit bayad sa jeepney malilimutan mo na like me. but if we can afford to buy taxi now whats the matter?

4.maybe they just want to remember the place that they have been after all its an achievement to travel to differet place di ba. anyways kaya nga may photo is to remember the moment.

5. kahit naman satin may nagsosuot ng ganyan its their perogative even you buy something to show to others di ba?

6.yes we cant help ourselves na mahirapan magtagalog or english like me. i live in austria where german language is the only one use i even forget sometmes tagalog and english terms.

and we have to adapt to their culture kahit naman ikaw pag tinuruan kang mag bisaya syempre gusto mo matutunan din kasama yung punto di ba.

and remember we are born in the phil no matter how much money and success we have we are still pinoy kaya nga kami bumabalik satin di ba.

lastly ingit kalang behhh.

When the dual citizenship law was being debated and discussed, there were a lot of questions.  One of the most discussed was:  Are you willing to be drafted in the Armed Forces of the Philippines?  Another question: If the Philippines goes to war against your country of present residence, with whom will you side? 

As you pointed out in another post, a person with two passports can easily leave the country if he or she is called up for service.  A lot of people do resent the "best of both worlds" scenario.  You can stay, you can own land, you can vote and enjoy all the privileges of a Filipino, but you can also leave any time you want should things get bad.  Filipinos, for the most part, resent that because they (we) have nowhere else to go.  We have only one country.

The dual citizenship law pre-supposes that the Filipino citizenship grantee has allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines. There shouldn't even be a question of where the grantee's allegiance lies. The constitution does not prohibit Filipinos from having dual citizenship, what it prohibits is its citizens having dual allegiance. The flaw in the dual citizenship law is that it doesn't provide the grantee a pre-requisite to denounce his allegiance to any and all other countries other than the Republic of the Philippines. If that was there in the law, I doubt how many of our patriotic kababyans would still elect to have dual citizenship at the risk of offending or much worse receive repercussions from the governemnt of the countries from which they have withdrawn allegiance. The lack of a real indication of singular allegiance is a condition that our government is willing to take at the moment if only to insure that it can attract more balikbayans to renew their ties with the motherland and hoping for the accompanying economic benefits that goes with it in terms of the possible additional overseas investment interest in the Philippines.

• 2 months later...

"A Pot Full of GOLD!!!"

People always think that when you're a balikbayan, you have lots of money to shed off.

Di lang nila alam kung anong hirap ang inabot, kung ilang meryenda ang di kinain at kung ano ano pa para lang maipon ang perang iuuwi sa Pilipinas.

Damn it!!! :grr:

• 4 weeks later...

From all my actions to my relatives, I'm viewed as someone who is able to put a smile on their face, with just the little things I do. Yes they love their pasalubong, they love having their favorite cousin, nephew, uncle, grandson, grandnephew be the "BOSS", I learned quick from my very first visit to the Philippines, I really have it a lot better than my relatives here in the Philippines. With that each and every visit I make home, at a minimum I make it home twice a year. their reward as well as mine is spending as much time as I can doing everything and anything under the sun that they want. Sure I may be out $500 or more each visit, but hey I easily spend that during the year just getting myself the normal stuff, a soda here, a snack there, etc. :thumbsupsmiley:

Now when I'm anywhere else in the Philippines, since I don't speak tagalog, I get this stare, this guy looks filipino, but his english is like American, so then the light bulb comes on he's got "kala", pera , and lots of it. I may have, but remember I like most people work an honest job for the money I get, I don't just pick it off the street. ;)

So I'm not trying to be karipot, just playing it smart, I can bargain with the best of them, I can tell also when someone is trying to give me a raw deal, B)

As far as the women, hey my pare "gifted" calls it "babe magnet", it ain't no lie, they hear the voice, that guy is speaking in dollars, not pesos. Happens all the time to me at Baywalk, the malls and everywhere else.... :D

I love the Philippines, no other place like it! :hypocritesmiley:

So having a dual citizenship would give me permission to acquire real estate (house) compared to (condos) if I'm not a Filipino Citizen?

I'm once again researching the new information on Balikbayans and rights to property ownership and also the dual citizenship issue. Here's what is in the official website of the Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles (my brother clued me in that they have the info posted):

Land Ownership by Former Filipinos in the Philippines

The webpage is really clear with a nice table for comparisons between residential use and commercial use.

Dual Citizenship FAQs

My brother tells me, since he called the consulate, that the processing fee is $50. Then there's the oath taking and I hear there is also a cursury background check.

Theres no place like home.even after living here for 16 years,i still miss the traffic, the clubs, the foods at sympre my good old friends.when im on vacation for a month or more after working so hard, all i want to do is have fun and enjoy my stay to the fullest .some filipinos hate balikbayans for thier arrogant attitude and a.ss...le manner, i dont blame you guys coz theres a lot of them.kahit ako naasar pag nagkikta ko sila sa resto, bar at public places at kung magsalita sila at magkwento na taga states sila ,ganito ,ganun and im just like hello di nman ganun kasarap at kadaling kumita ng pera dito sa states, no offense but most of them are from west coast ( california) sorry for being bias im from eastcost.I was alone at a bar few months ago sa makati, a guy seat next to me and order a drink, a lil chit chat, hes a balikbayan, he speaks english pag tinananong ko ng tagalog, i ask him him kung ilang taon na sya sa califonia, low and behold he says TWO YEARS. :grr: