How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

yan ang problema your sizing us up pano kung yun ang usong damit d2 does that mean na hindi mo pede suot yung gusto mo. kasi kala nyo magdamit lng ng maluwag hiphop na pati kilos napupuna pano kung nainfluence talaga sila ng hiphop o lumaki sila na mga kaibigan nila itim sisisihin mo parin sila dont blame or hate them if they act , dress different we grew up in a 2 different environment peace out

hey face out. im not sizing you up hiphop guys. im just adding here my own personal view regarding balikbayans. dont you point your fingers at someone else baka bumalik yan sayo. dont you see, opinion page ito. nanisis ba ako? nag blame ba ako? did i say i hate you? learn how to read and analize mr peace out! sinasabi ko lang ho ang sa palagay ko ay dahilan kung bakit naimpluwensyahan ng hiphop style ang mga batang balikbayan. ok ho ba peace out?

Absolutely

So let us understand them na lang, after all perhaps deserve to be happy or get back the lost time after years of hardwork...

In Addition

------------

Here they have the comfort of their own homes - sa abroad share a room or flat

Here they have a vehicle - sa abroad they commute

Here they have a wife - sa abroad ..... well... ugh ugh...

was watching Oprah last night.. the topic was about Classes of Society in the US.. the thing is not everyone in the US are rich.. there are the lower class, middle class, and upper class... and americans are very sensitive with this classes.. you cannot mingle with the other class if you dont belong there..

the lower class family father or mother works 2 jobs, lives in an unsafe community with lots of gangsters, their kids cannot go far from home since its not safe, their kids studies in a public school and been showing signs of being a gangster..

somehow i think most upper-middle class people here who migrate to the US ended up the same, in the US they become lower class..

so the question is, do you want to be middle class in a 3rd world country or a lower class in a 1st world country, being looked down by the upper and middle class?

there was also a study that the middle class in the US is dissappering, and the same here in the Philippines, the gap between the lower and upper class is expanding..the rich get richer, the poor gets poorer, where most of the middle class fall to the lower class..

they even interviewed a direct grand daughter of the 2nd richest man in the world, Warren Buffet with 50 Billion dollar in net worth.. the granddaughter is not rich.. she even works as house organizer for an upper class family..the scrooge Warren Buffet does not give her any money.. hahaha!

Warren Buffet even made a statement that he wont be leaving any money to his relatives... what money does to your brain! huhum..

i can only speak for myself. the 1st time i went back to the PI in 1999....i was appalled. i complained alot and wanted to get out. thats because i expected things to happen the way things happen in the US. since then, ive become less judgemental and just tried to experience things how they are. i could see how filipinos might have thought i was being stuck up being in the situation i was when i first came to the PI. so for me....i think some of "arrogance" came from expecting things to look, feel, and things to happen like in the states. thus my attitude was poor. but i learned from the cliche, "when in rome, do as the romans. ive appreciated more things that are positives of the PI. now i love the place. i go to the PI twice a year just to vacation.

so maybe for some people....their arrogance could stem from being frustrated.

I can relate to your initial experience, It was my first time in PI by myself. As soon as I accepted that things were done differently on different timeframes then I was able to enjoy my time.

When things would take longer than expected my cousins would laugh at me and say "Only in the Philippines!"

Balikbayan's are

People who earn more, but spend more

People who pretend to be happy, but in fact they are lonely.

People who works like a horse in another country

what's wrong with spending more, when you have more to spend?

sure, anyone who has to pretend to be happy probably isn't; but those that don't pretend are most likely happy

i've read this several times before, i have yet to see any proof

Absolutely

So let us understand them na lang, after all perhaps deserve to be happy or get back the lost time after years of hardwork...

In Addition

------------

Here they have the comfort of their own homes - sa abroad share a room or flat

Here they have a vehicle - sa abroad they commute

Here they have a wife - sa abroad ..... well... ugh ugh...

on the contrary, lot's are homeowners, and own several vehicles as well...

both of you must have come to view balikbayans from a very limited knowledge. here are some information from wikipedia:

Filipino Americans tend to be highly educated

40% of adult Filipino Americans are college and university graduates holding advanced degrees in the arts and sciences

Filipino-American high school students have one of the highest graduation rates. They are known to perform well on state-given exams, as well as the SAT and Advanced Placement Examinations. Many of the newer generations of Filipino Americans born in the United States gravitate towards business and the professions, such as architecture, business administration, economics, education, engineering, medicine and nursing. Filipino-American students end up in professional careers, yielding higher incomes and better well-being, and are regarded as very successful in their respective fields. Most attend well-known universities and colleges, while a small number prefer community colleges and vocational schools.

As a result of their level of education, many Filipino Americans are now in the upper middle class, and the community enjoys substantial economic well-being

In 2005, the Filipino-American collective dollar remittances reached a record-high of $5.6 billion dollars. The buying power of the Filipino-American community is at $52 billion dollars

Edited by eagleyes

Mr. Snaileyes, (you give eagle a bad name)

Your bulcrap Balikbayan definition refers only to those you seen on UHF T.V. of your Wikisheet

Go to NAIA now and you will see balikbayans from LEBANON

Add those in JAPAN, SINGAPORE, HONGKONG, TAIWAN, SAUDI ARABIA

PAPUA NEW GUNEA, OMAN, QATAR,

And guess what? And the majority who work there are what?

DOMESTIC HELPERS - (Driving the latest models of Mercedes Benz and perhaps a Ferrari)

SKILLED LABORS -

TECHIES and ENTERTAINERS

More crap

"upper middle class, and the community enjoys substantial economic well-being"

DOLE / OWWA

In Singapore 120,000 registered workers, 70%-80% are DOMESTIC HELPERS

Half f the remaining 20-30% are Nurses

What remains are a mix of Professionals

Your blury eyes may have focused to much on Uncle Sam alone, look around

look around look around other countries

Did you know that WEBSTER (Yes the dictionary) sometime back defined FILIPINA = Domestic Helper? Your limited brain may have easily agreed to this.

Now you are giving us this wiki wiki of yours

Talk about LIMITED KNOWLEDGE :lol: :lol: :lol:

both of you must have come to view balikbayans from a very limited knowledge. here are some information from wikipedia:

Filipino Americans tend to be highly educated

40% of adult Filipino Americans are college and university graduates holding advanced degrees in the arts and sciences

Filipino-American high school students have one of the highest graduation rates. They are known to perform well on state-given exams, as well as the SAT and Advanced Placement Examinations. Many of the newer generations of Filipino Americans born in the United States gravitate towards business and the professions, such as architecture, business administration, economics, education, engineering, medicine and nursing. Filipino-American students end up in professional careers, yielding higher incomes and better well-being, and are regarded as very successful in their respective fields. Most attend well-known universities and colleges, while a small number prefer community colleges and vocational schools.

As a result of their level of education, many Filipino Americans are now in the upper middle class, and the community enjoys substantial economic well-being

In 2005, the Filipino-American collective dollar remittances reached a record-high of $5.6 billion dollars. The buying power of the Filipino-American community is at $52 billion dollars

Edited by lomex32
Mr. Snaileyes, (you give eagle a bad name)

Your bulcrap Balikbayan definition refers only to those you seen on UHF T.V. of your Wikisheet

Go to NAIA now and you will see balikbayans from LEBANON

Add those in JAPAN, SINGAPORE, HONGKONG, TAIWAN, SAUDI ARABIA

PAPUA NEW GUNEA, OMAN, QATAR,

And guess what? And the majority who work there are what?

DOMESTIC HELPERS - (Driving the latest models of Mercedes Benz and perhaps a Ferrari)

SKILLED LABORS -

TECHIES and ENTERTAINERS

More crap

"upper middle class, and the community enjoys substantial economic well-being"

DOLE / OWWA

In Singapore 120,000 registered workers, 70%-80% are DOMESTIC HELPERS

Half f the remaining 20-30% are Nurses

What remains are a mix of Professionals

Your blury eyes may have focused to much on Uncle Sam alone, look around

look around look around other countries

Did you know that WEBSTER (Yes the dictionary) sometime back defined FILIPINA = Domestic Helper? Your limited brain may have easily agreed to this.

Talk about LIMITED KNOWLEDGE :lol: :lol: :lol:

i believe this definition was established on this thread earlier:

http://www.nscb.gov.ph/ru12/DEFINE/DEF-TOUR.HTM

Balikbayan - refers to Philippine nationals who are permanently residing abroad including their spouses and children, regardless of nationality or country of birth. It also refers to those of Filipino Descent who acquired foreign citizenship and permanent status abroad.

pero teka nga pala; kahit sakaling naging tama ka, bakit kailangang mang insulto ka ng isang taong ni hindi mo kakilala? ganyan ba talaga ang pagpapalaki sa iyo ng magulang mo, o talaga lang na wala kang pinag aralan?

Edited by eagleyes

Spare us your righteous authority Mister

Nagsearch ka pa sa yahoo/google lang din .. and now you shove

this definition down to our post?

Then you have the guts to say LIMITED ?

Now you resort to your defense mechanism ...... :boo: :lol: :lol:

What's next?

------------------------------

Para hindi O.T.

If I were to view a balikbayan just like you, the following descriptions may just be appropriate

RIGHTEOUS

AUTHORITATIVE

yet/and

NARROW-MINDED

Your Avatar looks familiar, some poster named ric2000? also a Scuba enthusiast ....

- Perhaps both of you mistakenly loaded your aqua lung with poisonus gas

i believe this definition was established on this thread earlier:

http://www.nscb.gov.ph/ru12/DEFINE/DEF-TOUR.HTM

Balikbayan - refers to Philippine nationals who are permanently residing abroad including their spouses and children, regardless of nationality or country of birth. It also refers to those of Filipino Descent who acquired foreign citizenship and permanent status abroad.

pero teka nga pala; kahit sakaling naging tama ka, bakit kailangang mang insulto ka ng isang taong ni hindi mo kakilala? ganyan ba talaga ang pagpapalaki sa iyo ng magulang mo, o talaga lang na wala kang pinag aralan?

Edited by lomex32
Spare us your righteous authority Mister

Nagsearch ka pa sa yahoo/google lang din .. and now you shove

this definition down to our post?

Then you have the guts to say LIMITED ?

Now you resort to your defense mechanism ...... :boo: :lol: :lol:

What's next?

Para hindi O.T.

If I were to view a balikbayan just like you, the following descriptions may just be appropriate

RIGHTEOUS

AUTHORITATIVE

yet/and

NARROW-MINDED

Your Avatar looks familiar, some poster named ric2000? also a Scuba enthusiast ....

- Perhaps both of you mistakenly loaded your aqua lung with poisonus gas

this is yet another example of someone taking liberties with a defined group of people

expanding the definition to suit his argument,

and then shooting the messenger for pointing out his error

young man, i have returned to the philippines several times as a balikbayan

my passport is stamped accordingly each and everytime i process through immigration

balikbayans are only allowed to stay in the country for up to a year from the date of arrival

(the only exception to this now would be those people holding dual citizenships and elect to use their philippine passports upon entry)

i ask you this, are those people you cite really balikbayans?

are those people who were just evacuated from lebanon/middle east only allowed to stay in the philippines for up to a year?

and what about those domestic helpers, entertainers, and skilled laborers of which you speak? are they bound by law to leave the country within the specified time period?

Edited by eagleyes

You barged in shootings posts and now you start ASKING QUESTIONS

I bet your finger fiddles with your keyboard faster than you mind thinks .....

There are forums where your post likely be ...

Eto'ng Bagay Sayo!

The User Above You Part 3

The User Below You!

Mister find someone your post can be of value ..... I made this mistake of entertaining what seemed to be a worthwhile post from a Balikbayan, who probably much older than me (since u called me young man), and with a handle that seemed to represent an animal on top of the food chain ....

Some attention u have ......

:P :angry: :evil:

i ask you this, are those people you cite really balikbayans?

are those people who were just evacuated from lebanon/middle east only allowed to stay in the philippines for up to a year?

and what about those domestic helpers, entertainers, and skilled laborers of which you speak? are they bound by law to leave the country within the specified time period?

^^^ why don't you check out your post #234?

is that how you entertain seemingly worthwhile posts? by insulting the poster?

you say i barged in on this thread? why don't you backread a little; you should find my posts here from last year

you attempt to ridicule my posts?

i've been a member here twice as long as you have

yet you're the one with more than twice the number of posts... sheeesh!

i've presented citations to support my contention; all you've gone on is your imagination

it is sooooo easy to admit mistakes; or failing that, just agree to disagree without being disagreeable

i have already once questioned your manners, but instead of apologizing for your behaviour, you continue to heap insults on me

but since i realize that it takes a man and/or a certain degree of maturity to act in a civil manner

i'll just suppose you haven't reached either level yet

my apologies to other thread contributors

referring to sir lomex32 post, nasaktan ang aking damdamin sa kanyang nasabi na ang FILIPINA ay katumbas nang DOMESTIC HELPER ...

ganyan na po ba kababa ang tingin ninyo sa kapwa filipino nyo ?

pag paumanhin po ninyo sir lomex32, pero ang mga tulad po ninyo ang nagbaba sa tingin nang ating mga kababayan na nagtratrabaho nang marangal sa ibang bansa para lamang ipagtaguyod ang kanilang mga anak at pamilya ...

hindi po como karamihan sa kanila ay mga walang pinag aralan o kapos sa kaalaman ay ganun na po sila kababa sa ating komunidad ... meron rin po silang dignidad na naitatabi ...

pasensya na po ... dati rin po kasi akong OFW sa middle east ...

humihingi po ako nang paumanhin na rin sa ating mga admins/mods kung medyo naiba na ang tema nang "thread" na eto ...

gusto ko lamang po i-tama ang pananaw nang ating mga kababayan at itaas ang antas nang ating mga kapwa pilipinong nagtra trabaho sa ibang bansa ...

Sadeeq, Mansour James

I am not so sure what post of mine you refer....

But before you burst that bubble .... i want to say that I just equally pitty

those who downsize our fellow kababayans aborad

FYI

I have been active volunteer for Consul/Embassies/Labor Attache to where i have been to...

... nations of which majority are FILIPINA domestic helpers

Fund Raising, community gathering, counselling <-- not like those socialized OFW events

Moreso i have personally defended ON THE SPOT Filipinas who were downsized by any

sheethead which some lame Pinoys would have not done so

-----------------------------------------------------

I may have seen perhaps what you may have misunderstood

TRY READING THE CONTEXT

This is the effect of entertaining a poster trying to catch attention .... by barging and argument over a WIKIPEDIA definition of a blikbayan ..... Obviously the exchanges i have was with another friend of ours

I made an WEBSTER who made GRUESOME definition of a FILIPINO .... just like this WIKI WIKI's

.... in short i just Dont Buy It....

I hope this clears this up with u

referring to sir lomex32 post, nasaktan ang aking damdamin sa kanyang nasabi na ang FILIPINA ay katumbas nang DOMESTIC HELPER ...

ganyan na po ba kababa ang tingin ninyo sa kapwa filipino nyo ?

pag paumanhin po ninyo sir lomex32, pero ang mga tulad po ninyo ang nagbaba sa tingin nang ating mga kababayan na nagtratrabaho nang marangal sa ibang bansa para lamang ipagtaguyod ang kanilang mga anak at pamilya ...

hindi po como karamihan sa kanila ay mga walang pinag aralan o kapos sa kaalaman ay ganun na po sila kababa sa ating komunidad ... meron rin po silang dignidad na naitatabi ...

pasensya na po ... dati rin po kasi akong OFW sa middle east ...

humihingi po ako nang paumanhin na rin sa ating mga admins/mods kung medyo naiba na ang tema nang "thread" na eto ...

gusto ko lamang po i-tama ang pananaw nang ating mga kababayan at itaas ang antas nang ating mga kapwa pilipinong nagtra trabaho sa ibang bansa ...

Edited by lomex32

My apologies as well ...... Someone here used that "Limited" term and now it is all over this thread

====================================================

Sad but true some individuals belittle OFW's DH and alike ....

Those who think that only Professional middle class Pinoys are OFWs or BALIKBAYANS

are like those who would likely belittle them .... Take note "Likely"

Allow me to share some

-----------------------------

Flight from Taipei Taiwan going back after my brief trip on a Christmas week ....

I was seated next to a Filipina DH on my left who had a bad experience over her employer

and has to return back after only 4 months.. On the far left was also a Filipina DH going

for a vacation back home...

They were so happy looking at their faces ..... and they once in a while go to the lavatory..

I noticed that a veteran Pinay Flight attendant was impolite to the 2 and others... she acts

like a prison guard commanding the ladies to stand in line blah blah .... with an appropriate voice

for a FA .... I just have the urge then that this FA must have something to hear

When she passed by me on the aisle I politely told her and softly ..." I know your job is tough

but the jobs these ladies have perhaps are tougher than ours .... they perhaps deserve

some nice treatment... after all its Christmas"

She mellowed down since then... as my eyes followed her around the aircraft ...

.... the Filipina noticed that I said something to MADAM HELGA ... and she had idea what it was by giving me a smile and a shaking head

It was a Sunday morning

There were 2 lady kababayans enjoying a take-out meal on a public park .....

They were so kind to offer me what they were having ... I gave them my thanks

and said that i love to but i have to go ....

Just before i would ... I noticed an Indian looking fellow was SWEEPING at this park, right on the direction of the ladies

even right under the tables that they were eating ... There were 2 things on my mind

1. The fellow was trying to be nice or to get closer to the ladies

or

2. He seemed disturbed by the ladies at the tables on the park he is cleaning

After the dust an leaves came flying out ... almost to the food they were having

I wasted no time accosting the sweeping fellow and ask him what the hell he was doing ....

I did not understand what he said but i knew he uttered something unpleasant to the hearing

.. and give him a 2-hand slap which almost popped his eyes out of his sockets

... and just before I go i told him to respect Filipinas or any individuals at that park

onwards... so much for a sunday morning

sir lomex32, i may have read your post wrongly, and i stand corrected on that ... all points taken and with due respect, but that doesn't mean "i have a limited brain" ...

ADMINS/MODS : if you see fit that this post does not warrant to be in this thread please delete it ... thank you ...

Edited by lomex32
hey face out. im not sizing you up hiphop guys. im just adding here my own personal view regarding balikbayans. dont you point your fingers at someone else baka bumalik yan sayo. dont you see, opinion page ito. nanisis ba ako? nag blame ba ako? did i say i hate you? learn how to read and analize mr peace out! sinasabi ko lang ho ang sa palagay ko ay dahilan kung bakit naimpluwensyahan ng hiphop style ang mga batang balikbayan. ok ho ba peace out?

this fool is trippin well then its best for you trick to get your facts straight before you post your own personal view, you clownin on us because the way we dress? and you tellin me how to read and analyze you got to be trippin peace out but i still think your an idiot