How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

I am definitely a balikbayan. I grew up in the PI until I was 6 and was sent here soon after. However, the last few years, I've been making it a point to visit my family there at least once a year and try to stay 2-3 weeks...more if possible. Every time I go, I enjoy my time no matter how simple it may be.

I understand that even though I dress simple, I still stick out. Maybe it's the expressions on my face or the fact that I'm very quiet when I'm in public over there. I still understand tagalog, I try to speak it, but my grammar and lack of a filipino accent just makes everyone laugh. LOL! It's okay though, some people actually find it entertaining and I think that's a great way to meet new people. I'm a fairly easy going guy, humble, and I try not to forget my roots because I still have family members there who still live in poverty and I have those who are quite comfortable. I guess what I'm trying to say is just because I live in the states, doesn't mean I'm better than anyone when I go to visit. That's not who I am and never will be.

But I have seen some who visit and try to maintain their "rock star" or "hardcore" image and they are the ones who usually disrespects or thinks too highly of themselves.

If I could speak our language fluently and could find a job there, I could see myself living there. But the simple fact remains...I grew up here and this is where my family wanted me to be. I'm definitely proud to be a Filipino-American. Besides...I can't resist a good home cooked filipino dish! ;)

And don't get me started with the pinays there! Sure, we've got some fine looking ones here...but most seem too plastic...inside and out. Most of the women I saw there have natural beauty that can't be touched! I love them all!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Karamihan mukhang Cheap. Bakit ang dami kulay sa buhok kahit saksakan ng itim? Karamihan mga Girls. Hindi mga Japayuki sinasabi ko. Yung mga Morena type na may kulay or streaks yung hair na malalaman mo balikbayan pag narinig mo yung accent.

Tapos bakit karamihan balikbayan nagiging hiphop? Eh dito sa pinas jologs ang hiphop.

Karamihan mukhang Cheap. Bakit ang dami kulay sa buhok kahit saksakan ng itim? Karamihan mga Girls. Hindi mga Japayuki sinasabi ko. Yung mga Morena type na may kulay or streaks yung hair na malalaman mo balikbayan pag narinig mo yung accent.

Tapos bakit karamihan balikbayan nagiging hiphop? Eh dito sa pinas jologs ang hiphop.

edc, you probably just haven't met a lot of balikbayans. Besides, don't judge a balikbayan by his/her hair, clothes and personal appearance. Cheers. :)

edc, you probably just haven't met a lot of balikbayans. Besides, don't judge a balikbayan by his/her hair, clothes and personal appearance. Cheers. :)

Marami na din. Kaso yung ang nagstand-out eh. Imbis na gumaling pumorma eh mas bumobo kasi Nagpakulay ng buhok pero hindi bagay. Naging HipHop mas bumaduy tuloy.

Karamihan Balikbayan sinasabi ko ang age/bracket eh mga 15-25.

Hind ba OFW na balikbayan pag ganyan with Matching Gold Rings, Gold Necklace, Gold Bracelet(Shini-shakeshake pa yung Wrist minsan) :lol: :upside:

...at naka Wrangler or Levis jeans with matching Adidas shoes, baseball cap accented by Rayban shades, Raymond Weil watch at nakapila sa SM-FX Center? :P

Hehehe natawa ako dito

Ang dami nga ganito lalo na ung galing sa M East and ung mga Mandaragat (Sea Man)

This is what we called the TONYO look ..... May ad kasi before tungkol sa mga OFW ....

si TONYO ung character na sinalubong ng asawa sabay sigaw TOOOONYOOOO

Demin Jacket, Bull Cap, at ung mga sinabi na alahas, shaking wristwatch, Rayban shades kahit makulimlim

Anyway nothing wrong with that ... its just when you see them in the Plane magkakakamukha halos

Siguro nga they deserve to reward themselves after their tour of duty

Same thing rin ung mga Flights from NARITA ung mga entertainers

Long colored/blondie hairs

Knee-high Boots with high heels

Spaghetti attire (pababa ng pababa), with or wihout a Winter jacket

Shoulder bag or tavelling bag with a LOT of key chains

Leotards or tight-fitting jeans

Sa galing Singapore, Taiwan at HK - DH

Sangkatutak ang mga pasalubong .... and they are very kind to offer you lalo na kung kumakain sila

You can see the happiness in their faces sa departure area hanggang sa paglapag sa Pinas

Speaking of padala my experiences

1. Never seen balikbayan boxes brought by a single person travelling before - HK/SIN

2. From Taiwan .... May lady hirap na hirap sa dala nyang knapsack/bag... i offered to help

her na ipatong sa trolley bag ko .... ang BIGAT pala, nag-bend ung retracting handle ng bag ko

3. Meron pang may dalang Bisikleta at 29" TV

naka denim jacket...

Hind ba OFW na balikbayan pag ganyan with Matching Gold Rings, Gold Necklace, Gold Bracelet(Shini-shakeshake pa yung Wrist minsan) :lol: :upside:

True

Plus Rebond or perm or pakulay ng hair, pedicure, manicure

One fact maybe is that these services are much more expensive in other countries ....

another maybe is that they feel good when they are attended by Pinoy/Pinay/Pinoay beauticians

because of good service

balikbayans like to have facials (full workup) and spent a lot of time in spas...

Some of my friends consider me a strange balikbayan. I never bring a balikbayan box when travelling to the Philippines. Ahihihi. :D My take on this is that it's too much hassle. It's my Mom who brings one or two balikbayan boxes when she goes home for a vacation.

Instead of giving stuff to my friends, I just treat them to lunch or dinner to a restaurant of their choice or take them to a spa. :thumbsupsmiley:

As the saying goes ... "Its the thought that counts"

Perhaps nothing beats a pasalubong handed over by a balikbayan .... it completes a handshake or a hug

even how small it may be

Perhaps on the newer generation

We (take not we) rather treat our friends ... pasalubong is purely academic

it may just be heavy, will cost us extra baggage, worse it may just be

available in any neighborhood convenient stores ....

Some of my friends consider me a strange balikbayan. I never bring a balikbayan box when travelling to the Philippines. Ahihihi. :D My take on this is that it's too much hassle. It's my Mom who brings one or two balikbayan boxes when she goes home for a vacation.

Instead of giving stuff to my friends, I just treat them to lunch or dinner to a restaurant of their choice or take them to a spa. :thumbsupsmiley:

hmmmmm i was back there for the first time in 10 years... so a lot has changed, i was 14 when i left and was 24 when i got back.

i was still the same wacky person who's in touch with my roots but of course, there's the occasional culture shock ... haha

i hate the way people don't seem to know how to line up, if they were here in australia and they behaved that way, they would've prolly got into an argument already.

ugh, sometimes i lose my cool and actually say, "excuse me, do u mind? i was here first. wait for your turn or didn't u learn that at school?"

ahaha more said in english than tagalog... fark, so maarte... the girls there are so maarte!!!!!! feeling sino!!!!!!! ugh, it makes me sick and soooooooo worried abt their fcking weight. heller, wake up to reality, u're all stick figures - easily broken if someone snaps u in two. my friend is an extra small here in oz, she went back to the phils and copped a lot of sht about being fat. OMG she's like so skinny.

what's with the obessesion about body size anyway? fckin shallow people. dont get me wrong, im proud to be pinoy but there are some traits that makes me wanna puke and disown my country.

-_-

bakit karamihan hiphop? kasi uso sa north america ang hiphop attire. kahit nga kilos eh. matatawa ka na lang sa mga kilos na pilit ginagaya ng mga asyano. astang mga itim na sila. sa pananamit, sa kilos at pananalita. ang nakakatawa pa, galit sila sa mga itim pero ginagaya naman nila. kaya ang mga kabataang pinoy na nahihilig sa hiphop, kapag nauwi sa pinas, nakakatawang tingnan. at pagbalik nila sa america at canada, nagigising sila sa katotohanan na sila ay mukhang jologs talaga. tapos ang mga music sa mp3 nila, lahat rap.

sa mga kababaihan naman, nagmumukhang cheap kasi sinusunod nila ang fashion sa north america na fit ang mga suot, weird ang dating, masisikip at maliliit ang mga damit. naglalakihan ang mga fancy hikaw at kung manigarilyo kala mo daig pa ang mayon volcano. ang nakakatawa pa, ok na sana ang suot na damit, naka tsinelas naman. :evil:

Edited by juicer
bakit karamihan hiphop? kasi uso sa north america ang hiphop attire. kahit nga kilos eh. matatawa ka na lang sa mga kilos na pilit ginagaya ng mga asyano. astang mga itim na sila. sa pananamit, sa kilos at pananalita. ang nakakatawa pa, galit sila sa mga itim pero ginagaya naman nila. kaya ang mga kabataang pinoy na nahihilig sa hiphop, kapag nauwi sa pinas, nakakatawang tingnan. at pagbalik nila sa america at canada, nagigising sila sa katotohanan na sila ay mukhang jologs talaga. tapos ang mga music sa mp3 nila, lahat rap.

sa mga kababaihan naman, nagmumukhang cheap kasi sinusunod nila ang fashion sa north america na fit ang mga suot, weird ang dating, masisikip at maliliit ang mga damit. naglalakihan ang mga fancy hikaw at kung manigarilyo kala mo daig pa ang mayon volcano. ang nakakatawa pa, ok na sana ang suot na damit, naka tsinelas naman. :evil:

yan ang problema your sizing us up pano kung yun ang usong damit d2 does that mean na hindi mo pede suot yung gusto mo. kasi kala nyo magdamit lng ng maluwag hiphop na pati kilos napupuna pano kung nainfluence talaga sila ng hiphop o lumaki sila na mga kaibigan nila itim sisisihin mo parin sila dont blame or hate them if they act , dress different we grew up in a 2 different environment peace out

Absolutely

So let us understand them na lang, after all perhaps deserve to be happy or get back the lost time after years of hardwork...

In Addition

------------

Here they have the comfort of their own homes - sa abroad share a room or flat

Here they have a vehicle - sa abroad they commute

Here they have a wife - sa abroad ..... well... ugh ugh...

Balikbayan's are

People who earn more, but spend more

People who pretend to be happy, but in fact they are lonely.

People who works like a horse in another country

In TFC last night, we saw Fil-Am rapper of Black Eyed Peas and balikbayan Apl. de. ap (or Allan Pineda) arriving at NAIA as a big-time celebrity and getting the VIP treatment from no less than Manila Mayor Lito Atienza.

Talk about hard-work, talent and achieving THE AMERICAN DREAM, he's the Man!!! He knows and never turns his back on his Pinoy roots. Mabuhay to Apl. de. ap!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

post-22965-1153997284.jpeg

Edited by Mandrake