How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

Most balikbayans are heroes....i think a lot of us have immediate family members who worked abroad and remit money to the Philippines...and the country should be grateful for that coz the remittances have kept the Philippine economy afloat....however, some balikbayans are arrogant fools...know it all...the truly learned and educated ones are more understanding....i have lived overseas for several years and have encountered both types......anyway, am based home (for good) now and nothing beats being in one's motherland..

Correction. It's not the remittanceof balikbayans that provide the Philippines with a healthy foreign exchange reserve balance. Its the remittance of overseas Filipino workers. There is a difference.

OFWs precisely work abroad because the world labour market was willing to pay them more for their services as compared to local wages. There is nothing wrong with that. At the end of their contracts (granted after several renewals) they still return to the Philippines to hopefully nejoy the fruit of their toil.

Immigrants--the ilk we tend to equate to balikbayans, have jumped ship. These are the ones who have given up on the country by moving their entire families to places they consider offering better opportunities. Yes, the reasons they have are also economic in nature but their intentions are different.

Compared to what OFWs send, balikbayans but send a pittance. If you look at forex inflows from North America compared to the total from the rest of the world you will know what I mean.

Yes OFWs are heroes. about two decades back, their remittances indeed kept the Philippine economy afloat. Filippino immigrants in the US--the balikbayans--well, their net contribution is over hyped.

Kudos to you for returning to the Philippines. Your timing is perfect. This country is on the verge of an economic revolution despite what they say about the corruption, crab mentality, the bad traffic, and lousy governance.

^ very enlightening, and informative.

napansin ko rin yan, Pinoys abroad led a stressful lifestyle. I also hate to say this, well it's reality, karamihan ng mga balikbayans ang yayabang, kala mo na sila na ang may ari ng Pilipinas, yes not all of them but it's the majority of them...mapa relatives or mapa acquaintance. anak ng tokwa karamihan marunong naman managalog pero pa english english pa na may kaartehang slang pa, maryosep...if i know double kayod sila sa U.S. wala ng pahinga...puro utang naman ang mga bahay at sasakyan nila. Masmasarap talaga sa Pilipinas...dito sa Pilipinas makakabili ka ng bahay spot cash! wala ng utang utang, full payment agad kahit standard 600sqm pa sya. sabi nila mahirap kumita at maliit ang sueldo dito ? nasa diskarte lang yan with the right discipline and proper entrepreneurship.

Wait till you set foot on NAIA and take public transport

... Everyone seems to ask for pasalubong and even money

As a balikbayan, one thing that turns me off is when my friends ask for "pasalubong." If I can afford to give them all "pasalubongs," I will ask them in advance what they want . But if I feel that they are obliging me to bring them some goodies, then I resent them and make it a point not to see them when I'm in the Philippines. I won't even call them.

Balikbayans are not made of money. We toil hard. We work hard for the money.

hehehe I could relate to that, I am not a balikbayan but I toured the US in Xmas 2003...when I returned back home, outside NAIA, nilakad ko lang from NAIA to my home in Sto. Nino, Paranaque..may bitbit akong maleta eh , mga kolokoy naglapitan sa akin at nahingi ng pera, anak ng tokwa sabi ko hindi ako balikbayan namasyal lang ako...ayaw paring tumigil parang walang narinig sa sinabi ko... :thumbsdownsmiley:

Or something WORSE

Get Robbed - 1001 ways

hehehe I could relate to that, I am not a balikbayan but I toured the US in Xmas 2003...when I returned back home, outside NAIA, nilakad ko lang from NAIA to my home in Sto. Nino, Paranaque..may bitbit akong maleta eh , mga kolokoy naglapitan sa akin at nahingi ng pera, anak ng tokwa sabi ko hindi ako balikbayan namasyal lang ako...ayaw paring tumigil parang walang narinig sa sinabi ko... :thumbsdownsmiley:
I pity balikbayans. I have seen how they live. I almost turned into one. It does not really matter if the balikbayan is a well paid doctor or nurse with overtime credits overflowing or a simple TNT custodian who has to work odd jobs at odd hours of the day.

They lead the same hard life. They have to put up with their white or egoy bosses; they have to do their own household chores because even if they can afford it, the hardship they went through to earn the money they would have to spend has turned them into penny pinching misers. What a stressful life.

So when they finally come to the Philippines for a visit (probably after accumulating enough 'miles' flying around the US for their work so that they get a free ticket) I try to make sure they have an easy time. I put them up in a small hotel where they have privacy, assign a car and driver to them so they can go wherever they please. When they bitch about the traffic, I tell them to just layback and sleep it off since they are not doing the driving anyway.

Despite the traffic, they wonder why feeding a car at the rate of 11 mpg (about 4 km/l) seems to be not a problem (gas is still much cheaper in Manila); and why a 6,000 square foot home (about 600 sqm) seems to be a standard among middle class families. And they marvel at the squad of 'kasambahays'; and how our teenage kids are polite and do not back talk despite being pampered by their yayas--even if they can't call 911 to complain about corporal punishment.

Next week I have another batch of relatives coming in. Doctors. They have to do their annual medical mission to the country ostensibly to dispense free medical advice and meds. But I know better. Its a tax shelter. They get to claim back their expenses by several magnitudes enough so that the cost of their entire trip is 'washed' by the reduction in tax they pay their IRS. I'm not letting on that I know. Let them feel like the returning benevolent lost relatives back from the crusades.

And when they finally return to their daily stateside grind, I will sit back, enjoy the sunset from my porch sipping a freshly brewed cup of UCC's Blue Mountain No. 1.

Masarap pa rin sa 'pinas.

i was so disgusted with this comment i had to say something. i wonder if your relatives know what a pompous, pretentious ass you are. tax shelter or not, they chose to do their medical mission here. i'm sure there are hundreds of other ways to shelter their income where they live. i'm just appalled at how you flaunt your decadent lifestyle while at least 40% of the country is below the poverty level... "masarap pa rin sa 'pinas." make you feel like a big boy doesn't it. as for doing their own chores, a great majority of us here do it ourselves anyway. i do. no shame in that. and far as penny pinching, did i mention 40%... nevermind, at least they have pennies to pinch. i've had my share of balikbayans who complain to no end, it's like nails on chalkboard, until one of them told me that the reason why think that way is because they've seen what other countries have done and they know it just doesn't HAVE to be the way it is here. don't get me wrong, i'm not pro balikbayan, i'm just anti complacent. so what's worse? ever complaining balikbayans? locals who treat balikbayans like banks? i'll take either one with open arms. just keep the self-possessed, smug, unconcerned, complacent affluent locked up in their gated communities sipping their freshly brewed cup of UCC's Blue Mountain No. 1

Hi, boss lomex32! *waves*

When I arrived at NAIA last Dec. 24, I greeted the guy at the immigration booth a "Merry Christmas." He smiled and said "Sorry po at di ako makakabati. Bawal po kasi at baka ma-misinterpret." Then I said, "Gawa po kasi ng ibang mga kasama n'yo kaya nadadamay ang lahat. Pero Merry Christmas pa rin po." I patted him on the shoulder and smiled.

When I left last Jan. 9, there were three security guards (two males and one female) who were very friendly. Then the girl flashed me her winning smile and whispered, "Wow, si Ma'am uwi lang ng uwi para magbakasyon. Baka naman meron po kayong pang-balato diyan." Sheez, I started smiling, held back and gave her a dirty look instead. Ang kapal niya. :thumbsdownsmiley:

I pity balikbayans. I have seen how they live. I almost turned into one. It does not really matter if the balikbayan is a well paid doctor or nurse with overtime credits overflowing or a simple TNT custodian who has to work odd jobs at odd hours of the day.

They lead the same hard life. They have to put up with their white or egoy bosses; they have to do their own household chores because even if they can afford it, the hardship they went through to earn the money they would have to spend has turned them into penny pinching misers. What a stressful life.

So when they finally come to the Philippines for a visit (probably after accumulating enough 'miles' flying around the US for their work so that they get a free ticket) I try to make sure they have an easy time. I put them up in a small hotel where they have privacy, assign a car and driver to them so they can go wherever they please. When they bitch about the traffic, I tell them to just layback and sleep it off since they are not doing the driving anyway.

Despite the traffic, they wonder why feeding a car at the rate of 11 mpg (about 4 km/l) seems to be not a problem (gas is still much cheaper in Manila); and why a 6,000 square foot home (about 600 sqm) seems to be a standard among middle class families. And they marvel at the squad of 'kasambahays'; and how our teenage kids are polite and do not back talk despite being pampered by their yayas--even if they can't call 911 to complain about corporal punishment.

Next week I have another batch of relatives coming in. Doctors. They have to do their annual medical mission to the country ostensibly to dispense free medical advice and meds. But I know better. Its a tax shelter. They get to claim back their expenses by several magnitudes enough so that the cost of their entire trip is 'washed' by the reduction in tax they pay their IRS. I'm not letting on that I know. Let them feel like the returning benevolent lost relatives back from the crusades.

And when they finally return to their daily stateside grind, I will sit back, enjoy the sunset from my porch sipping a freshly brewed cup of UCC's Blue Mountain No. 1.

Masarap pa rin sa 'pinas.

Anong Ugaling Pinoy Na Ayaw Nyo. 123» 25

Ugaling Pinoy na hindi maganda

Ito ang ugali nating mga pinoy na ayaw natin.. Itong tao na ito na mukhang "born loser" is trying to impress the readers with his english at nilahat na ang balikbayan. Arogante na at hindi nya siguro alam na about 30% ng GDP natin ay galing sa mga OFW. Baka naman iyong mga kamaganak mo lang balikbayan ang ganun. ..O naiingit ka lang sa kanila kasi mas mayabang sila kaysa sa iyo.. Look yourself at the mirror...you should be thankful to the balikbayans and OFW, kasi baka kung hindi gawa nila, baka ni kape wala ng mabili ang peso natin.

Anong Ugaling Pinoy Na Ayaw Nyo. 123» 25

Ugaling Pinoy na hindi maganda

Ito ang ugali nating mga pinoy na ayaw natin.. Itong tao na ito na mukhang "born loser" is trying to impress the readers with his english at nilahat na ang balikbayan. Arogante na at hindi nya siguro alam na about 30% ng GDP natin ay galing sa mga OFW. Baka naman iyong mga kamaganak mo lang balikbayan ang ganun. ..O naiingit ka lang sa kanila kasi mas mayabang sila kaysa sa iyo.. Look yourself at the mirror...you should be thankful to the balikbayans and OFW, kasi baka kung hindi gawa nila, baka ni kape wala ng mabili ang peso natin.

Dapat isguron tagalugin ko na kasi mukhang masyado kang nagandahan sa english ko nahirapan kang intindihin. Ang pinaguusapan ko lang mga balikbayan. Ibang yun sa OFW. Hindi pareho ang OFW sa balikbayan. Ang OFW umalis sa bayan para magtrabaho pero meron siyang intensyon na bumalik at manirahan sa Pilipinas. Ganoon ako noon. In usapan dito, pag meron nang sapat na assets na naipon para manirahan sa Pilipinas ng matiwasay ay puwede nang bumalik at manguyakoy na lang.

Ang balikbayan umalis sa bayan para manirahan sa ibang bansa at doon na maglagi. Hanggang hindi ni naabot ang matiwasay at stable na kabuhayan sa ibang bansa, hinsi nila maiisip na umuwi ng pansamantala sa pilipinas. Kung naka pag establish na sila saka na lamang nila iisipin na umuwi sa Pilipinas at bisitahin ang mga kawawang kamaganak na siguradong matutuwa sa mga pasalubong nila na matagal nang inipon mula sa mga sale sa mga department store lalo na sa bayan ng kano.

Tama ka 30% ng GDP galing sa OFW hindi ito galing sa balikbayan.

Yes. I look myself in the mirror each day. I also thank the OFWs for shoring up the country's foreign exchange reserves although the current strength of the peso is a result of the US working to devalue the dollar to export more and Japan trying to keep their yen at parity to stay competitive with US goods.

As for balikbayans, well, hindi naman yata nakakadagdag sa foreign exchange reserves yun mga pasalubong na pinapadala mula sa mga nabili na sale sa JC Penney, Mashall Fields, at kahit na sa Nieman Marcus.

So, intindihin mong mabuti kaibigan... hindi kasam ang OFW sa usapin na ito. Mga balikbayan lang. At kung maganda ang English ko pasensya ka na sayang naman ang nagastos ng pamahalann ng pilipinas kung wala akong tatutuhan sa pagiging "isko."

Hello muffy

This is a classic example ....

AS IF NANALO Ka sa SUGAL na JACKPOT PALDO PALDO

BALATO .... huwah

Hi, boss lomex32! *waves*

When I left last Jan. 9, there were three security guards (two males and one female) who were very friendly. Then the girl flashed me her winning smile and whispered, "Wow, si Ma'am uwi lang ng uwi para magbakasyon. Baka naman meron po kayong pang-balato diyan." Sheez, I started smiling, held back and gave her a dirty look instead. Ang kapal niya. :thumbsdownsmiley:

I know some people who view balikbayans as a meal ticket...I know I was viewed that way when I came back after living out of the country for years...people who don't know you tend to suddenly take an interest in you...Not to say everyone is like that, the close friends I have were just happy I returned...

I know some people who view balikbayans as a meal ticket...I know I was viewed that way when I came back after living out of the country for years...people who don't know you tend to suddenly take an interest in you...Not to say everyone is like that, the close friends I have were just happy I returned...

Yup, people like that are the epitome of "kawalanghiyaan." Much more so if they are relatives who will only know you if you make it big, then suddenly make their own fortunes smaller (Totoy, binagyo yung taniman ng tubo sa Alabang...).

I have a lot of balikbayan friends and I think I sometimes see both sides of the story.

(Lived abroad a bit when I was a kid, came back before puberty, been here ever since.)

Truth be told, most balikbayans I love to bits, and some I absolutely hate. (although they only happen to be very few.)

Most BB's are great to have around, they always tell amazing stories over drinks, have a lot of "only in da pilipins" moments, and are generally "game" to do anything, to make them experience the country that they left behind.

But there are very few BB's who manage to get my goat. These are the people who act like they're the s@%t, simply because they managed to stay in a 1st world country.

Those are the BB's that seem to think that they're better than everybody else, just because they have money of a different color in their pockets.

It all depends on what kind of BB you are, and how you treat the people around you, the ones who, whether you like it or not, are your kababayans.

So, to all the wonderful balikbayans out there: treat people with respect, and people will respect you. Don't be arrogant, do try to at least understand the values, opinions and mindset of the people you're with, and above all else, keep in mind that just because you have a better life someplace else, it doesn't mean you can put down people who haven't had the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leviticus

I had this very bad experience from a balikbayan friend of mine. We are very good friends but she left for the states (her preference) about 2 years ago. pagbalik nya dito sa pilipinas iba na ang ugali nya.

the thing that happened was we met at megamall, had a bite to eat, went windowshopping a bit; until some of her barkada and relatives came along. talagang ALIENATED ako because I was introduced dead last, as in to the extreme dead last. Worse, I was introduced NUNG PAALIS na ako (because irritated na ako sobra). the whole time parang poste ako, even making small talk with some of the barkada/relatives. I believe I was not granted basic common courtesy. Ang bastos ng friend ko, the first time that I was truly humiliated.

Paguwi ko I sarcastically "thanked" her for the experience thru text. She asked what the experience was and I told her: that she humiliated me by not introducing me to anyone, well, she did introduce me but after ilang oras na and nung pauwi na ako. Instead of admitting to her mistake nagrason pa: kesyo mga friends raw niya galing states yun and mapapahiya siya because "promdi" lang ako.

wtf?!? bakit nya pa ako niyaya in the first place?!? taga probinsya nga ako but kaya ko silang kausapin ng english. mga tambay lang ang mga balikbayan na yun while ako nagtratrabaho! lintik na araw yun. planado na pala na magkikita sila ng barkada/relatives and then ganun lang pala ang treatment na makukuha ko?

Is that the effect of people going to the states? ang lalaki ng mga ulo nila, wala nang gawin kundi magyabang, and NAHIHIYA IPAKILALA ANG MGA KAIBIGAN THAT DECIDED NOT TO LEAVE THE PHILIPPINES?!?

I had this very bad experience from a balikbayan friend of mine. We are very good friends but she left for the states (her preference) about 2 years ago. pagbalik nya dito sa pilipinas iba na ang ugali nya.

Is that the effect of people going to the states? ang lalaki ng mga ulo nila, wala nang gawin kundi magyabang, and NAHIHIYA IPAKILALA ANG MGA KAIBIGAN THAT DECIDED NOT TO LEAVE THE PHILIPPINES?!?

In my book, i call this friend of yours the "Ugly Balikbayan." :thumbsdownsmiley:

In a similar episode, a former classmate of mine felt so humiliated in front of us after being ridiculed by our balikbayan childhood friend during a reunion at the balikbayan's house. After few rounds of hard liquor, it turned out the balikbayan had a score to settle with my classmate for stealing his gf years back. It seemed the balikbayan took his loss traumatically, never forgave him for that, and itching for some payback. Before push came to shove, half of us decided to walk out of the house in sympathy for our poor classmate who was being set up for the k*ll. :angry:

Dapat isguron tagalugin ko na kasi mukhang masyado kang nagandahan sa english ko nahirapan kang intindihin. Ang pinaguusapan ko lang mga balikbayan. Ibang yun sa OFW. Hindi pareho ang OFW sa balikbayan. Ang OFW umalis sa bayan para magtrabaho pero meron siyang intensyon na bumalik at manirahan sa Pilipinas. Ganoon ako noon. In usapan dito, pag meron nang sapat na assets na naipon para manirahan sa Pilipinas ng matiwasay ay puwede nang bumalik at manguyakoy na lang.

Ang balikbayan umalis sa bayan para manirahan sa ibang bansa at doon na maglagi. Hanggang hindi ni naabot ang matiwasay at stable na kabuhayan sa ibang bansa, hinsi nila maiisip na umuwi ng pansamantala sa pilipinas. Kung naka pag establish na sila saka na lamang nila iisipin na umuwi sa Pilipinas at bisitahin ang mga kawawang kamaganak na siguradong matutuwa sa mga pasalubong nila na matagal nang inipon mula sa mga sale sa mga department store lalo na sa bayan ng kano.

Tama ka 30% ng GDP galing sa OFW hindi ito galing sa balikbayan.

Yes. I look myself in the mirror each day. I also thank the OFWs for shoring up the country's foreign exchange reserves although the current strength of the peso is a result of the US working to devalue the dollar to export more and Japan trying to keep their yen at parity to stay competitive with US goods.

As for balikbayans, well, hindi naman yata nakakadagdag sa foreign exchange reserves yun mga pasalubong na pinapadala mula sa mga nabili na sale sa JC Penney, Mashall Fields, at kahit na sa Nieman Marcus.

So, intindihin mong mabuti kaibigan... hindi kasam ang OFW sa usapin na ito. Mga balikbayan lang. At kung maganda ang English ko pasensya ka na sayang naman ang nagastos ng pamahalann ng pilipinas kung wala akong tatutuhan sa pagiging "isko."

and, yes, do you also look yourself in the mirror each day and be thankful that your big head hasn't exploded yet, Mr. "Isko"... wawa naman 'to ... laki ng ulo

wtf?!? bakit nya pa ako niyaya in the first place?!? taga probinsya nga ako but kaya ko silang kausapin ng english. mga tambay lang ang mga balikbayan na yun while ako nagtratrabaho! lintik na araw yun. planado na pala na magkikita sila ng barkada/relatives and then ganun lang pala ang treatment na makukuha ko?

Leviticus, I'm sorry that you had that bad experience. Your female friend was an a$$hole. Not all balikbayans are like your friend. She's one of the few who try to flaunt her sudden change in "status." I wouldn't be surprised if you chuck her in your list of ex-friends. She's not worth being anyone's friend if that's her attitude.

Sheez, sarap niyang kulamin. :evil:

Edited by muffy69

I find amusing why some posters here bashed boomouse. I am not defending him because I don't even know him but he speaks of a truthful fact with regards to balikbayans.

Yes, most balkbayans I've met are very condescending. I know one balikbayan from San Diego, CA she commented 'nasanay na ako sa mga itsura ng mga Amerkano, ang gagandang tignan pero pagbaba ko ng aeroplano sa NAIA ang tingin ko tuloy sa mga Pinoy mga mukhang unggoy'. IMHO, comments like that are uncalled for because by referring to Pinoys as 'unggoys' actually backfires on her because she'll always remain a Pilipino. The real question is...are they really happy living abroad ? are they in a better position than those living in the Philippines ? what gives them the right to feel superior than those who lives in RP ? I think boomouse is correct, masarap lang pakinggang balikbayan ka but to live a life abroad is like degrading yourself while stooping down to the level of the caucasians, and what's worse ? alienating your own identity as a Pilipino...very pitiful indeed.

Edited by Gestanon
i was so disgusted with this comment i had to say something. i wonder if your relatives know what a pompous, pretentious ass you are. tax shelter or not, they chose to do their medical mission here. i'm sure there are hundreds of other ways to shelter their income where they live. i'm just appalled at how you flaunt your decadent lifestyle while at least 40% of the country is below the poverty level... "masarap pa rin sa 'pinas." make you feel like a big boy doesn't it. as for doing their own chores, a great majority of us here do it ourselves anyway. i do. no shame in that. and far as penny pinching, did i mention 40%... nevermind, at least they have pennies to pinch. i've had my share of balikbayans who complain to no end, it's like nails on chalkboard, until one of them told me that the reason why think that way is because they've seen what other countries have done and they know it just doesn't HAVE to be the way it is here. don't get me wrong, i'm not pro balikbayan, i'm just anti complacent. so what's worse? ever complaining balikbayans? locals who treat balikbayans like banks? i'll take either one with open arms. just keep the self-possessed, smug, unconcerned, complacent affluent locked up in their gated communities sipping their freshly brewed cup of UCC's Blue Mountain No. 1

Hey, respond to my opinions and that's fair. But you have no right to assume that I am unconcerned and complacent. You don't know me. I worked for a US company for 9years outside the Philippines. I was offered a transfer to the US visa and all. I preferred to just come home and raise my kids here. I saw what American culture does to kids and I would not want to inflict that on mine. Sure I'm smug. I did well without having to work for, or sell to, or do business with government. I've got my share of relatives and friends in the right places. But I did this on my own. I'm a product of the public school system. I was not born with a silver spoon. But I worked hard for what I have now. Sure I'm smug. I'm pleased with myself. I proved that I did not have to go to the land-of-milk-and-honey-where-the-streets-were-paved-with-gold and swallow every indignity the natives there might want to throw my way. At least I am here doing my thing, providing employment contributing to the economy, paying taxes, buying local goods and services, and earning foreign exchange for the Philippines.

As for the medical missions... don't you hate a saccharin veneer when you see through it? I do and I say so in spades.

If you think I am flaunting a decadent lifestyle when I make a honest comparison between how it is possible to make a comfortable life in the Philippines as against a pseudo-comfortable life elsewhere, then guilty as charged. There is no other way to make such a comparison. I'll take your judgment as an exigency of the argument I put forward. This is after all a thread about "HOW FILIPINOS VIEW BALIKBAYANS".

As for flaunting my affluence in the face of poverty... already answered in the previous paragraph. I don't have to tell anyone about what I do to contribute to the less fortunate. That would be OT. Besides, it's no one's business. Even beneficiaries don't know I am involved. So, having said that, yes I believe I shall kick back and enjoy another fresh cup of Java. This one's local though, Cafe Alamid from Cavite. If you know where that came from--it should put a smile on your face.