Does anyone knows where I can get a pecorino romano and regiano cheese??? 

Pwede ba ang parmesan cheese as substitute for those mentioned above for the pesto sauce???

Parmesan is typically the non-Italian perversion of parmigiano reggiano (the second of the two you asked for), although one source says grana padano is sometimes called parmesan as well. Parmigiano is from the Parma region of Italy, which is also the source of Parma ham.

Parmigiano reggiano and pecorino romano are aged, dry and quite sharp, pargmigiano reggiano usually being aged 18 months or more. Goes well with a good cabernet suavignon or sangiovese.

Grana padano may also show up labeled "parmesan". It's similar although typically aged less than parmigiano reggiano, comes from other parts of Italy, typically Lombardy. Very nice, creamy but with a hint of sharpness to it. A bit softer, and not as crumbly.

Pecorino romano is an aged sheep's milk cheese usually from Sardinia (although there are producers in other parts of Italy as well). Like parmigiano, it is a hard, crumbly sharp cheese ideal for grating and serving over or with pasta.

To your second question - a more appropriate question would be, "Is parmesan (Kraft or other brand) an adequate substitute for parmigiano reggiano?" And the answer is - it depends on how authentic you want to be and how picky your taste buds are! Pesto traditionally calls for parmigiano reggiano, but many substitute perocino romano and even grana padano. I would NOT substitute anything other than these cheeses, personally. The Kraft version of these cheese is much blander and doesn't blend or melt quite the same way as the real stuff.

To your second question - a more appropriate question would be, "Is parmesan (Kraft or other brand) an adequate substitute for parmigiano reggiano?" And the answer is - it depends on how authentic you want to be and how picky your taste buds are! Pesto traditionally calls for parmigiano reggiano, but many substitute perocino romano and even grana padano. I would NOT substitute anything other than these cheeses, personally. The Kraft version of these cheese is much blander and doesn't blend or melt quite the same way as the real stuff.

I've tried keso de bola on pesto and its pretty good. not authentic, but tastes great.

Anyone of you guys have tried the Chili Garlic Shrimp Pasta in Don Henrico's??

Try it, its quite good. :cool:

Italliani's has some alright pasta as well.

I like Penne Arriabiata, but I don't seem to find this in most restaurants and/or Italian restaurant.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Threat ba? Well, are you sure you really want to find out?..... :rolleyes:

Yeah, anyway, we'll see when we can visit Amoroma and try out their pasta

OT: hahahaha..natawa ako dun! typo na naman po!!! wrong spelling wrong!!!! TREAT po yan!!!

sige..let's see if we can have the pasta this Friday at AMOROMA. Will try their marina and will have LINGUINE :) plus we'll order their pizza with cheese and proscuitto...yummmmyyy!!!

Guest temperamental
avenetto at napoli

waaaah i miss avenetto! :cry: sarap rin kasi ng avenetto lalo na kung may ka-share! :lol:

i am a sucker for any pasta dish na may prawns and garlic, esp, taht of italianni's!!!!!! :) yummm!!!!

Edited by temperamental

this place near mine, A Venetto.

190 lang per plate, tapos its good for 3-4 people. Basic tomato sauce sya, with toppings of ur choice. The thing is masarap sya and at a nominal price of 60 per plate super sulit na sya!

pero syempre mas ok if kaw na lang magluto, u control everything plus mura hehehe