1. 1. Ano ang Cellphone Line Mo?

• Smart
    • Globe
    • Sun

Globe Telecom CEO says no increase in SMS, call costs

First posted 08:07pm (Mla time) Feb 08, 2006

By Erwin Lemuel Oliva

INQ7.net

GERARDO Ablaza, Jr., Globe Telecom Inc. president and chief executive officer assured subscribers on Wednesday that the company will not increase the cost of making calls or sending text messages with the implementation of the reformed value-added tax (RVAT) this month.

"Competition is heading towards making prices lower. So it's counterproductive for Globe to raise its prices due to reformed value-added tax," Ablaza told reporters.

He did not disclose details on how Globe intends to absorb the additional tax on services.

Republic Act 9337 or the Reformed Value Added Tax law has adjusted the current rate from 10 percent to 12 percent for services.

Smart said last week that it would not increase the cost of making calls and sending text messages either. Costs will remain the same for its prepaid subscribers despite the RVAT. Smart’s SMS rate will remain at one peso per message.

Smart added, however, that it would have to reduce discounts to retailers buying wholesale electronic load or airtime packs.

Ramon Isberto, Smart Communications public affairs head, told INQ7.net that this was the best way to keep their subscribers and the retailers of their electronic loading service happy.

"This means that retailers of the electronic loading will have smaller margins. But how do we keep them happy? We will soon come out with new set of products for them. So we're encouraging our retailers not to increase their prices if they sell electronic load (airtime) to subscribers," Isberto added.

Meanwhile Globe will release a more detailed explanation on how it intends to "absorb" the additional 2 percent VAT on services, according to Jones Campos, assistant vice president for Globe Telecom public relations.

WAS a Globe user.  Billings have charges you can't simply understand.  I had no problem till they started to discriminate me as compared to their preferential treatment with "Platinum" subscribers. :thumbsdownsmiley:

Clearly, Globe prefers big accounts.  <_<  But they didn't take account that I had 4 lines with them totalling 15 to 20 thousand a month.  But didn't reach platinum level by a few hundred pesos only( that's per line)! :thumbsdownsmiley:

Yap friend I have the same problem with you. I have a number of lines too with globe but it is

true that they give to platinium subscriber. One mistake i make is that i constantly changed

my line after 2 years being logged to their plan. My monthly subscription totals more than

10k with just three lines not counting other lines which i give to my workers but under my name.

Yap friend I have the same problem with you.  I have a number of lines too with globe but it is

true that they give to platinium subscriber.  One mistake i make is that i constantly changed

my line after 2 years being logged to their plan.    My monthly subscription totals more than

10k with just three lines not counting other lines which i give to my workers but under my name.

Pare, I didn't change my line every two years. But rather added more lines till it reached 5 lines and 10 pre-paid for my employees! :grr:

Well, that's history! :(

Hope they'll realized soon that the way they take care their customer SUCKS big time! :thumbsdownsmiley:

They don't create LOYALTY. Well it shows in their income statement- their subscriber base is still shrinking! :boo:

I called im Globe's Customer Service and complained about their unlimited text service.  Here's the thing, I got a confirmation that my unlimited text service is already active so I should be able to send text messages as much as I want.  Problem is, I got a Check Operator Services :angry:

I was furious because I just loaded my prepaid account <_<  I called them last month and up till now, I still haven't heard anything from them :angry:

Globe is hoping that you'll disappear. :lol:

Next time, find out the name of the person whom you had filed a complain with- write it down. Then follow it up with her/him/it? ;)

Delay in sending to myself.  My 8 MMS to Globe didn't arrive at all! :grr: I sent my MMS from Manila. The person I sent it to, is in Davao.  That's was my presumption nga about Smart- nationwide.  So how come  he can send an MMS from Davao fast with his Globe and he can't receive my MMS from Smart? :blink:

sending mms or text from globe to smart and vise versa, its basically interconnection problem...its area has assign channels for interconnection....globe to globe or smart to smart should not be a problem...but inter telco.....depending on the channel allocated, traffic, delays are bound to happen..even voice...not being able to connect...NTC has ruled that x number of channels should be allocated in relation to the number of subscriber of each carrier has...but unfortunately...both companies seems to find reasons to delay or not to implement. as to delay of text and mms same carrier..can also happen...its also channel allocation by the telco per area....within metro manila...no problem...but say texting to babuyan island or some far off location were there supposed service ... again depending on traffic and channel allocation...delay can or non reciept can happen...that same carrier...

telcos...same w/ landline...will allocate x number of channel for outgoing and incoming depending on the number of subscriber incoming and out going traffic...

and that guys is how the cookie crumble!!!!

sending mms or text from globe to smart and vise versa, its basically interconnection problem...its area has assign channels for interconnection....globe to globe or smart to smart should not be a problem...but inter telco.....depending on the channel allocated, traffic, delays are bound to happen..even voice...not being able to connect...NTC has ruled that x number of channels should be allocated in relation to the number of subscriber of each carrier has...but unfortunately...both companies seems to find reasons to delay or not to implement.  as to delay of text and mms same carrier..can also happen...its also channel allocation by the telco per area....within metro manila...no problem...but say texting to babuyan island or some far off location were there supposed service ... again depending on traffic and channel allocation...delay can or non reciept can happen...that same carrier...

telcos...same w/ landline...will allocate x number of channel for outgoing and incoming depending on the number of subscriber incoming and out going traffic...

Wow, that's a much detailed explanation.

How did you comeby with the info anyway?

sending mms or text from globe to smart and vise versa, its basically interconnection problem...its area has assign channels for interconnection....globe to globe or smart to smart should not be a problem...but inter telco.....depending on the channel allocated, traffic, delays are bound to happen..even voice...not being able to connect...NTC has ruled that x number of channels should be allocated in relation to the number of subscriber of each carrier has...but unfortunately...both companies seems to find reasons to delay or not to implement.  as to delay of text and mms same carrier..can also happen...its also channel allocation by the telco per area....within metro manila...no problem...but say texting to babuyan island or some far off location were there supposed service ... again depending on traffic and channel allocation...delay can or non reciept can happen...that same carrier...

you hit the nail in the head with this explanation... this is what i've been telling people when they complain with connection problems using their cellphones... this complaint is more appropriate for sun cellular users... users from other telcos are having difficulty connecting with sun... this also happens the other way around simply because of dominant carriers not opening more channels so that it can accommodate more simultaneous calls to & from the different carriers... you might not notice it but this also happens to calls to & from different carriers of landlines... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry.  That's a cope out! I had no problems with sending MMS from my Globe before to Smart.  Now my Smart unit has a hard time sending MMS to Globe!

Giving out excuses no long holds- my opinion.  Being from the service community it is customer satisfaction as the objective and customer satisfaction is delivery of a promise.  :angry: 

There is a government directive for interconnectivity.  You'd expect the two dominant players to open up more "channels" to ease up the traffic (wishful thinking). :rolleyes:

you hit the nail in the head with this explanation... this is what i've been telling people when they complain with connection problems using their cellphones... this complaint is more appropriate for sun cellular users... users from other telcos are having difficulty connecting with sun... this also happens the other way around simply because of dominant carriers not opening more channels so that it can accommodate more simultaneous calls to & from the different carriers... you might not notice it but this also happens to calls to & from different carriers of landlines...  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I beg to disagree! On my own experience- it is easier for me to use my back-up Smart Cell to call or text a Sun user. :)

About dominant carriers such as Globe and Smart makes tons of profits before Sun came out. So why not reinvest such profits to open moe "channels". <_<

I beg to disagree!  On my own experience- it is easier for me to use my back-up Smart Cell to call or text a Sun user. :)

About dominant carriers such as Globe and Smart makes tons of profits before Sun came out.  So why not reinvest such profits to open moe "channels". <_<

as I said...that would depend where u are and what time of day, if ur just w/in the business district.... chances of non transmission or reciept is low... and as to reinvestment.....that another story.... as i said all carriers are mandated to allocated X number of channel for interconnection....unfortunately, intentionally or unintentionally, there are always a reason to delay or nonimplementation. ahh there is also a question whether intercarrier payment for interconnection are updated....YES!,!!! they pay each other for every call that goes thru subscribers from other carrier....hehehehe...

I beg to disagree!  On my own experience- it is easier for me to use my back-up Smart Cell to call or text a Sun user. :)

About dominant carriers such as Globe and Smart makes tons of profits before Sun came out.  So why not reinvest such profits to open moe "channels". <_<

as mentioned previously by another member... it depends on your location & the time of call... telcos naturally allocate more channels in highly populated areas & locations that they observe have high traffic transmission... you will likely experience problems during peak-hours & located in a high traffic area... :) :) :)

to answer your query... the simple answer why the telcos are not reinvesting their profits to open more channels is GREED & CUT-THROAT COMPETITION... :thumbsdownsmiley: :thumbsdownsmiley: :thumbsdownsmiley:

as I said...that would depend where u are and what time of day, if ur just w/in the business district.... chances of non transmission or reciept is low... and as to reinvestment.....that another story.... as i said all carriers are mandated to allocated X number of channel for interconnection....unfortunately, intentionally or unintentionally, there are always a reason to delay or nonimplementation.  ahh there is also a question whether intercarrier payment for interconnection are updated....YES!,!!! they pay each other for every call that goes thru subscribers from other carrier....hehehehe...

You must also consider the capacities within the network. Sometimes, as in the case of SUN, as an example, no matter how large the interconnection pipes are, if the internal network is congested (due to unlimited calling), calls from other networks cannot be completed. Similarly, calls from a SUN subscriber to another network cannot be completed by the interconnected carrier if SUN cannot route calls to the interconnect facilities.

Moreover, the peak hours are factored in the implemented "channels" between the networks. There is no allocated X number of channels for interconnection. Interconnection channels is direct and point to point. Once calls are routed to these channels, it is clearly sent to the other carrier for completion to the subscriber.

It is quite absurd in at this point in time that carriers are intentionally dropping calls as this is also a source of revenue for them. This might be the arguement in the late 90s as the incumbernt is making it hard for the new carriers build their subscriber base.

as mentioned previously by another member... it depends on your location & the time of call... telcos naturally allocate more channels in highly populated areas & locations that they observe have high traffic transmission... you will likely experience problems during peak-hours & located in a high traffic area...  :)  :)  :)

to answer your query... the simple answer why the telcos are not reinvesting their profits to open more channels is GREED & CUT-THROAT COMPETITION...  :thumbsdownsmiley:  :thumbsdownsmiley:  :thumbsdownsmiley:

Time maybe, but not location. If it is a location problem, its the internal network. telcos dont interconnect on a per location.

Interconnection is a priority for a telco, they get revenues from just receiving calls. Moreover, margins are higher as only one leg of the network are used. In contrast, a inter-call will entail a calling leg to the switch and another leg to the complete the call from the switch.

On the MMS problem discussed here, it is the responsibility of the terminating network to complete the transmission of the message. So the following scenarios could have happened:

1. SMART failed to transmit the message to GLOBE for termination, which only SMART can answer.

2. GLOBE could not terminate the message, which only GLOBE can answer.

Unfortunately, SMART is liable to the subscriber in both cases as SMART has billed the subscriber for transmitting the subscriber.

The assumption that the GLOBE sub cannot receive the message is irrelevant as the GLOBE sub can send MMS messages.

On the MMS problem discussed here, it is the responsibility of the terminating network to complete the transmission of the message.  So the following scenarios could have happened:

1.  SMART failed to transmit the message to GLOBE for termination, which only SMART can answer.

2.  GLOBE could not terminate the message, which only GLOBE can answer.

Unfortunately, SMART is liable to the subscriber in both cases as SMART has billed the subscriber for transmitting the subscriber.

The assumption that the GLOBE sub cannot receive the message is irrelevant as the GLOBE sub can send MMS messages.

transmitting the message, not transmitting the subscriber. Sorry :blush: