Smart, Globe Or Sun?

Ano ang Cellphone Line Mo?  

627 members have voted

1. 1. Ano ang Cellphone Line Mo?

• Smart
    • Globe
    • Sun

Who gives the best 3G services between Globe n Smart???

Globe does not have a 3G service yet.

Smart does and it's already operational though I must admit quality of service is not that good yet. But knowing Smart, I'm sure somehow things will be in place and hopefully video call and other 3G service will be running smooth. Anyway, for now Smart 3G services is free.

sending mms or text from globe to smart and vise versa, its basically interconnection problem...its area has assign channels for interconnection....globe to globe or smart to smart should not be a problem...but inter telco.....depending on the channel allocated, traffic, delays are bound to happen..even voice...not being able to connect...NTC has ruled that x number of channels should be allocated in relation to the number of subscriber of each carrier has...but unfortunately...both companies seems to find reasons to delay or not to implement.  as to delay of text and mms same carrier..can also happen...its also channel allocation by the telco per area....within metro manila...no problem...but say texting to babuyan island or some far off location were there supposed service ... again depending on traffic and channel allocation...delay can or non reciept can happen...that same carrier...

telcos...same w/ landline...will allocate x number of channel for outgoing and incoming depending on the number of subscriber incoming and out going traffic...

and that guys is how the cookie crumble!!!!

Inter-connection is both ways. Both has to provide enough resources for both in-bound and out-bound otherwise more messages or voice call will not pass through.

With regards to drop-call. There's really a lot of contributory factors. Few of which are signal strength, power rating, TRX availability, signalling unit, transmission (either IP base or SS7), no of hops, backbone resources etc... even the homing structure and even frequency assignment has a direct effect plus the terrain and other structures (bldg, houses, billboard etc..) contributes to it.

It is always the objective of any engineer to design the network to be a drop call free or CSR (call success ratio) to be 99.999%. However, the complication of designing a network can be very staggering and frustrating. Though it is very very rewarding! (I'll not go into details but I hope you understand that designing a network is not that easy -- many engineers will have to go through many sleepness night just to come up with a macro level network infrastructure design).

Then again there is CAPEX! Designing a network is one thing, implementation is another thing. I will not elaborate how much a single BTS cost or further down, how much is one (1) E1 (a single link) cost. But the hard part is, once the budget is slash -- you have to re-design your plan.... :grr:

... then during the implementation -- daming changes due to permits, zonal, environmental, POLITICS etc.. that will keep you changing, revising the design.

...... minsan naiisip ko -- sana nakinig na lang ako sa nanay ko nung bata pa ako -- sabi niya "anak, hwag ka mag engineering..... mahirap yan. Mag _____________ ka na lang" :upside:

look at what globe & smart is doing now with their promos... ang reason nila dati noong naglabas ng circular ang NTC on the "per-second or pulse" billing na mahihirapan sila to implement at baguhin yung system nila... eh bakit ngayon dahil sa pressure from sun cellular... ginawa nila ngayon...  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

plain & simple reason... gusto nila protektuhan ang kanilang malaking kita...  :thumbsdownsmiley:  :thumbsdownsmiley:  :thumbsdownsmiley:

kaya mga dudes... kahit ayaw nyo sa sun cellular... magpasalamat tayo dahil sa ginawa nila... na-pressure ang ibang telcos to re-assess their tariff rates... :):):)

.... somehow yes but not entirely accurate. ... the changes in billing system is not because of SUN Cellular scheme for simple reason that SUN is not threat, never been a threat and will not be a threat unless they start building-up their network.

Why did I say that? It was Mid-2004 when Sun introduces it's promo "24x7 Unlimited!" Smart & Globe releases it's version only Feb 2005. Why after 6 or 7 months? simple, because it's not a threat. Kasi kung threat yun, it will not take 24 hours para sagutin yun..... Kung si Globe ang naglabas ng promo -- 24 to 48 hours -- may nilalabas na promo na si Smart .... Kung maglabas ng promo si Smart, mabilis din ang sagot ni Globe. Kasi it's a threat! ....

So nung lumabas yung 24/7 ni Sun.... hindi naman pinatulan yun.. facts, it takes a while before Globe & Smart introduces their own versions (but then again, I believe it's not because of Sun's scheme -- but because of other reason -- that is as far as our company is concerned -- I cannot speak for the other.) But it doesn't mean na hindi tinitignan si Sun...

So, why so many promos na biglang lumabas? simple reason .... Cellular market is saturated. The upper & middle class has cellular phones already (assessment is -- 98% of Class A & B has cellular phones)..

So, what's the effect? subscriber growth is low, revenue stream is not peaking. And in business -- that's not good! (You're not going to spend advertising scheme, network improvement etc etc.. if you are targetting the remaining 2% of the market. The board of director will kick your god damn f#&king ass!)

So question now is.... where do you get the additional revenue stream?

1. The lower class or the Class C (I'm sure you know who these people are..)

2. you take away the subscriber of your competitor.

How the hell are you going to do that? That's where the promos and gimmicks come in. We need to come up with a scheme that is affordable to the Class C market. We also need a scheme that would attract the competitor's subs to switch. Bottomline is we need a scheme that is so affordable that even the poorest among the poor should be able to make a call.

That's the reason for the PRICE WAR not because Sun started it all!

Good day!

..... Don't get me wrong. Got nothing against Sun. Just laying down the business sense.

i started with globe ever since. in fact i still use the same number since 1996...o di ba 10 years na ang number ko! so far no complains naman ako sa globe except yung mga instances ng no signal sa mga provinces.

havent tried smart.

may sun din ako para tipid.

:) :) :)

Globe does not have a 3G service yet.

Smart does and it's already operational though I must admit quality of service is not that good yet.  But knowing Smart, I'm sure somehow things will be in place and hopefully video call and other 3G service will be running smooth.  Anyway, for now Smart 3G services is free.

Globe will introduce there Globe service by the 2nd quarter this year.

Like what I said in my previous post. Nauna ngang kumuha ng license angg Globe sa NTC for 3G, pero ang tagal bago nila na-implement sa system. But for Smart after attaining the license only a few months at online na ang 3G namin.

i started with globe ever since. in fact i still use the same number since 1996...o di ba 10 years na ang number ko! so far no complains naman ako sa globe except yung mga instances ng no signal sa mga provinces.

havent tried smart.

may sun din ako para tipid.

:)  :)  :)

That was the experience of a friend of mine who was a former Globe user.

Field kasi sya lagi, ikot ng ikot sa Pilipinas, nung globe user pa sya, napapansin nya pag nasa Barko sya na may signal ang mga kasama nya, yun pala Smart subs sila, eh globe sya at walang signal sa dagat malapit sa Davao. Kaya yun, switched to Smart for nationwide coverage.

Guest buru_tus
That was the experience of a friend of mine who was a former Globe user.

Field kasi sya lagi, ikot ng ikot sa Pilipinas, nung globe user pa sya, napapansin nya pag nasa Barko sya na may signal ang mga kasama nya, yun pala Smart subs sila, eh globe sya at walang signal sa dagat malapit sa Davao.  Kaya yun, switched to Smart for nationwide coverage.

SMART made some arrangements with shipping companies to install antennae on their boats!!!

smart or globle lang ang competition... sun doesn't even compare to these giants... just my opinion...

So far- YES! Call Sun anything: saling pusa, pampagulo, etc. I'd rather look at Sun as a spice and a deviation from Smart-Globe dominance. :D

However, it's a nice break that we have Sun since the 2 giants are more careful in dealing with their customers. Sun has affected Globe, whether they will admit it or not. :P

As I said time and again, I WAS a Globe user till I got pissed-off with the way their customer (I don't) care showed how boorish they are. :grr:

Don't get me wrong. Am not for the freebies- it will help, but it's not the end all! :grr:

i have a globe and sun sim right now. pansin ko lang OK talaga signal ng GLOBE :) pero masmatipid ako sa SUN eh... oh well might as well keep both just incase :) ganda pa naman numbers ko sa both provider.. dali tandaan ahehe.. nakulet ko kasi yung nagbebenta na bigyan ako sim na madali tandaan number eh... konting pacute lang pumayag naman ahehe!

Yup, nung umpisa lang sila nanindak with there Unlimited Services, but Subs wasn't warned of there limited coverage and poor services.

Beg to disagree! that's why both Globe and Smart now offers unlimited text and charge-by-the-second!

The NTC was bugging the 2 leading telecoms to start charging by pulse since way back then. They just reacted now. Seems a delayed reaction- but it is a reaction! Without Sun, there was no need for a reaction. Since they are raking (literally) it in with a round off by the minute scheme! :grr:

Bottom line- best "value-for-money" will always win over customers! :thumbsupsmiley:

Sure Sun still has a long way to go! Am getting pissed once-in-a-while! That's why I have both Globe and Smart Pre-Paid as back-up! Combine my fix cost at Sun and the pre-paid load for my Globe and Smart still gives me a 25% savings as compared to having Globe post-paid alone! Hangang barya na lang sila! B)

Inter-connection is both ways.  Both has to provide enough resources for both in-bound and out-bound otherwise more messages or voice call will not pass through.

With regards to drop-call.  There's really a lot of contributory factors.  Few of which are signal strength, power rating, TRX availability, signalling unit, transmission (either IP base or SS7), no of hops, backbone resources etc...  even the homing structure and even frequency assignment has a direct effect plus the terrain and other structures (bldg, houses, billboard etc..) contributes to it.

It is always the objective of any engineer to design the network to be a drop call free or CSR (call success ratio) to be 99.999%.  However, the complication of designing a network can be very staggering and frustrating.  Though it is very very rewarding!  (I'll not go into details but I hope you understand that designing a network is not that easy -- many engineers will have to go through many sleepness night just to come up with a macro level network infrastructure design).

Then again there is CAPEX! Designing a network is one thing, implementation is another thing. I will not elaborate how much a single BTS cost or further down, how much is one (1) E1 (a single link) cost.  But the hard part is, once the budget is slash -- you have to re-design your plan.... :grr:

... then during the implementation -- daming changes due to permits, zonal, environmental, POLITICS etc..  that will keep you changing, revising the design.

......  minsan naiisip ko -- sana nakinig na lang ako sa nanay ko nung bata pa ako -- sabi niya "anak, hwag ka mag engineering..... mahirap yan.  Mag _____________ ka na lang"  :upside:

I understand your position as an engineer (globe isn't it) I have dealt w/ you guys, though w/ policy and decision makers, your right on your frustrations on last minute changes due to alll the factors that you mentioned, engineering wish and goals of for CSR. As i said in previous post, Ideal senarios, Ideal interconnection ratio and telco cooperations.

I bet one frustration you have though I doubt any line engineer will devulge in public, are management decisions on turf protection. Been there, done that and paid for it. Major telco or the dominant telco PLDT to be specific, can afford to choke interconnection on other telcos. PLDT are present in all corners of the PHil. either as PLDT or w/ PLDT controlled partners. I am talking of landline here, PLDT has 65% to 70% of the total subcriber base in the country and they are only 55 percent of total capacity nationwide. other telcos are 20 to 30 % only of total capacity.

Land line and Wireless has basically different business models, Landline w/ its declining ARPU, small provincial telcos are having a hard time keeping its business afloat, most cannot even afford to expand w/o the assistant of major telcos, and if they do get assistant from major telco with thier expansion, they usually get the short end of the stick. Call it business but thats how it is.

Now w/ the cell phone business, The major or dominant telco is also protecting its turf. BTW, what do you handle? Name of the game for telcos is ARPU (average revenue per unit). globe does... don't get me wrong, I understand engineers frustrations, during my time w/ telcos, they hated me too.... but all of us have a roll in a company and we play the roll right?

I just hope that the goverment would use its teeth with the major telcos, sad to say its the other way around. Heck NTC cann't even police the cable industry. I once visited a remote municipality in the samar province, they got no phone lines, no cell phone signal only a public telephone using a sat phone. but they have cable. w/ channels we don't even have. hehehehe.... see what I mean...

But your right with one thing Business sense, and it has to be achieve w/ what ever way possible.....

Beg to disagree!  that's why both Globe and Smart now offers unlimited text and charge-by-the-second!

The NTC was bugging the 2 leading telecoms to start charging by pulse since way back then.  They just reacted now.  Seems a delayed reaction- but it is a reaction! Without Sun, there was no need for a reaction.  Since they are raking (literally) it in with a round off by the minute scheme! :grr:

Bottom line- best "value-for-money" will always win over customers! :thumbsupsmiley:

Sure Sun still has a long way to go!  Am getting pissed once-in-a-while!  That's why I have both Globe and Smart Pre-Paid as back-up! Combine my fix cost at Sun and the pre-paid load for my Globe and Smart still gives me a 25% savings as compared to having Globe post-paid alone!  Hangang barya na lang sila! B)

Yup, Globe and Smart did offer unlimited services and per second charging and that neutralized the SUN competition.

Subs will always go for "value for money", but in the long run mas pipiliin nila ang "Quality".

And Yes, SUN still has a long way to go, a very long way I believe.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest airmax

pinalitan ko na ang sun cell sim ko. nag globe ulit ako. unlimited nga ang text and messaging ng sun sa network nila pero pambihira ang daming nag tetext sa akin para makipagtext mate or minsan tinatawagan pa ako. nuisance talaga ang dating. ang ibang tao porket libre imbes na gamitin sa makabuluhang bagay ang pagtetext ginagamit sa kalokohan. anyways nag globe na ako mas ok at least dito wala namang magaaksaya ng pera para lang makipagtext mate hahaha.