Leconfield Coonawarra

Orlando - Russet Ridge

Parker Coonawarra Estate

Redman Wines

Rymill Coonawarra

S.Kidman Wines

Stonehaven

Zema Estate

Some of the more extensive wineries source their wines from different areas of Australia.  Penfolds and Wynn's are examples of these.  I think I saw Wynn's Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 in Pricesmart Alabang during the time I was in the country several months ago. 

As for that question on the Aventinus Weizenbier, you can get it easy enough in Germany, however, I don't think I've ever seen it in the Philippines. So sorry!  Pricesmart did have some Victoria Bitter on stock at the time I saw the Wynn's.  Hehehe!  VB!  Oi! Oi! Oi!  Anyway, enough of this. I know it's off thread.  :thumbsupsmiley:

I've heard and read so much about the Bowen Estate - that's one wine I'd like to have!

Stonehaven is so-so - they have it here.

I had a taste of Jamieson's Run at Chateau what-was-that in Remedios a few years back. Not so impressive - as all house wines are.

Bowen makes so few cases a year and it's also not available here. Another in that listing I would like to have is the Leconfield....

well guys and gals, since this thread has been pretty sober the past few days, let me, in wine vernacular, cut the foil.

saturday night was pretty cool due to the winds and monsoon rains, around 25-degrees celsius (i had so much time in my hands that i even took the ambient temperature in the lanai!) and i expected a pleasant experience in my wine. :)

i opened a Vina (vinya) Albali Gran Reserva 1997 (100% tempranillo).  i was pretty surprise to see the cork stained with a light pink color, lighter than the pink in lipstick's avatar.  it was a radiant ruby and a vibrant nose of cherry and oak, mid dry as its legs were not falling as long.  mouth was balance, no strong taste except for a teasing sweetness, which was literally hanging on the tip of the tongue.  true to its form, the tempranillo is an evolving varietal.  the flavors were growing as the wine breathed -a truly pleasing experience.

i lit a H. Upman (Cuban) half corona, which was also rich earthy, leather, cedar, spicy.  some tapas, mushrooms in oil and garlic, sauteed schubligs, and uni sashimi, courtesy of my buddy, BODS! :thumbsupsmiley:

we were only 2  but there was so much life that night. :thumbsupsmiley:

BODS, pare, THANK YOU!

with tempranillo and some Cubans, what more can you wish for! :P

It couldn't have been more magical!

thanks a lot, pare!

pareng masi, I read you're under the weather...

how's it going?

better get well soon!

I thought cigars would do the trick :P

i'm ok now. my bp was playing tricks on me again. it was a bit on the high side yesterday. maybe the rains have gotten the best of me... can't do the usual outdoor activities like running and playing golf.

so much to be thankful, imagine if i dont drink wine nor burst into laughter, things could be worse.

thanks, again, pare until the next time!

Edited by masi

hey, guys. just read about the raimat which masi & I bought in barcinos, the winery was founded in 1981 by the Raventos family in the regions of Costers del Segre province of Lerida. They are considered most advance in Catalonia having Nolim presses (40,000 kgs/hr). They allow visits in the bodegas from Monday to friday.

i have tried their chardonnay which is fresh & aromatic with a long after taste, chardonnays should not need bottle ageing right?

yesterday, one of my staff dropped a case of Chateau Angelique de Monbousquet 2001, breaking 3 bottles & staining the other 9 more. I was dreaming to try this red bordeaux, hehehe, lucky day for me we opted to open the stained bottles instead.

i know you'd ask me for some tasting notes, sorry, you guys know me, i'm more on the physical business of getting this wines in the philippines. i promise to learn & watch closely masi & bods & lipstick & agxo for great notes. watachi wa gaksei no saki des.

yesterday, one of my staff dropped a case of Chateau Angelique de Monbousquet 2001, breaking 3 bottles & staining the other 9 more. I was dreaming to try this red bordeaux, hehehe, lucky day for me we opted to open the stained bottles instead.

i know you'd ask me for some tasting notes, sorry, you guys know me, i'm more on the physical business of getting this wines in the philippines. i promise to learn & watch closely masi & bods & lipstick & agxo for great notes. watachi wa gaksei no saki des.

hey spurt, never mind the bottles which I am sure made good headway for you guys there :lol: .... what happened to your staff who dropped the case! :boo:

i am sure the enjoyment you had with the Chateau Angelique were tasting notes by themselves... beyond words!

hey, guys. just read about the raimat which masi & I bought in barcinos, the winery was founded in 1981 by the Raventos family in the regions of Costers del Segre province of Lerida. They are considered most advance in Catalonia having Nolim presses (40,000 kgs/hr). They allow visits in the bodegas from Monday to friday.

i tried the raimat pinot noir 1998 which we got at barcino's. unfortunately no notes either since, it was the third cork we popped that evening, following the Fife Scarlet you sent, which was truly a piece. i have to get one in prep for a pinot noir flight -- spanish, french, u.s.

i have tried their chardonnay which is fresh & aromatic with a long after taste, chardonnays should not need bottle ageing right?

some chards are aged in oak and the others are not - they call them Unwooded - depends on the style to be adopted by the winemaker. Me - I just prefer to drink them :P

Did you get to taste the Raimat? Sayang wala ka nung ininom namin yun...

cheers, pare!

pare siyam na bote yung stained - don't tell me ininom nyo lahat! Nasan na yung iba? :P

pards you got the wrong guy in me if tasting notes are what you're after. As I told masi, I'm also more on the business side of wine - backgrounders, data, wine facts and just plain drinking hehehe...

are you in Japan?

i tried the raimat pinot noir 1998 which we got at barcino's. unfortunately no notes either since, it was the third cork we popped that evening, following the Fife Scarlet you sent, which was truly a piece.  i have to get one in prep for a pinot noir flight -- spanish, french, u.s.

I can't even remember exactly when we had the Raimat :P

buti ka pa natatandaan mo pa hehehe....

ok where do we get the other pinots for that planned flight?

i'm ok now.  my bp was playing tricks on me again. it was a bit on the high side yesterday.  maybe the rains have gotten the best of me... can't do  the usual outdoor activities like running and playing golf.

so much to be thankful, imagine if i dont drink wine nor burst into laughter, things could be worse.

thanks, again, pare until the next time!

it's good to hear that!

and for the meantime, stay away from those schubligs, foie gras, paella, desserts, etc.

load up on red wine instead, but I guess you know that hehehe

ako kahit walang sakit, red wine ang pang-maintenance ko :P

it's way too much better than taking statins hehehe

it's good to hear that!

and for the meantime, stay away from those schubligs, foie gras, paella, desserts, etc.

load up on red wine instead, but I guess you know that hehehe

ako kahit walang sakit, red wine ang pang-maintenance ko :P

it's way too much better than taking statins hehehe

this reminds me of the 3 reasons I drink... I drink when I am sad (madami nyan dito sa mtc), I drink when I am happy (madami din nyan dito sa mtc) and I drink for whatever reason I can think of (sa wine savvy lang mahahanap yan!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't even remember exactly when we had the Raimat :P

buti ka pa natatandaan mo pa hehehe....

ok where do we get the other pinots for that planned flight?

pare, we did! it was the 3rd bottle we popped that evening, first was the shiraz, then the fife scarlet, after which was the raimat pinor noir. oh that was after you drank a few shots of glen while waiting for everyone to come in.

was it too much to drink that got you intoxicated and not remember or was it a magical presence the made you forget? now, let me recall....hmmmm ;) B) :goatee: :blush:

this reminds me of the 3 reasons I drink...  I drink when I am sad (madami nyan dito sa mtc), I drink when I am happy (madami din nyan dito sa mtc) and I drink for whatever reason I can think of (sa wine savvy lang mahahanap yan!)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

pare, we did! it was the 3rd bottle we popped that evening, first was the shiraz, then the fife scarlet, after which was the raimat pinor noir.  oh that was after you drank a few shots of glen while waiting for everyone to come in.

was it too much to drink that got you intoxicated and not remember or was it a magical presence the made you forget?  now, let me recall....hmmmm ;)  B)  :goatee:  :blush:

was it?

it was the fife that made quite an impression on me - sayang hindi dapat napasama yung raimat dun hehehe....and glen, too, as it was the first time I had a single-malt...

it was the magical presence of all these that made me intoxicated :goatee:

now...now... what was i thinking or not thinking last night? :blink:  imagine, i went to jill's and didn't care to invite you and your girls!!!! ;)  must be the effect of that not so good as written choco cake i had for lunch! :lol:  dangerous to go to dreambar alone (wag painumin si pinoy!) ... hehehehehe

conan, well sometimes i would watch him but his guests are not as exciting. even pamela anderson would wear something "decent" when appearing in conan's show :upside:  but be more "revealing" in leno's!!!

post in VIP? hell, i might like it so much i might not post here anymore?  ;)  (did i hear someone yell, good riddance!!! :lol: )

Ganyan ka naman pare! Always not thinking! Period! :lol:

And yes I think you would quite enjoy the VIP section ... tignan mo si GhostInAMachine natin eh na addik na doon. Bihira na magpakita dito! :lol:

I seem to have that effect on a lot of women. Making them blush, that is. i wonder what it is? Could be all that wine, perhaps?

Anyway - weird. Yup - just a bit off center. Not quite what you'd expect, and not just in a "that's different" kinda way, but in a "now THAT's different" kinda way, if you know what I mean. It's good - I LIKE weird. Gotta be a bit strange to be more than a bit creative, I always say.

Hehe I always knew you were a smooth talker Mr. Agxo3! But not this smooth! :lol: Weird is nice :)

with tempranillo and some Cubans, what more can you wish for! :P

It couldn't have been more magical!

thanks a lot, pare!

Ok I can see you two have been flirting with each other again :lol:

was it too much to drink that got you intoxicated and not remember or was it a magical presence the made you forget?  now, let me recall....hmmmm ;)  B)  :goatee:  :blush:

And more flirting between the two male wine gurus .... now I'm really worried for your wives! Mwehehehehehehe. :lol:

Hemingway, I've just been so swamped with work that I haven't been able to visit this thread! :angry: Naiinis na ako dyan sa Truth Well Told na yan hah! :lol: But I guess one can never be too busy for a great date ... hehe. I think my constant date must have ESP or has my phone tapped because last night he surprised me with a bottle of Aussie wine! :thumbsupsmiley: I found it awfully sweet & thoughtful of him to pick up a bottle most especially since he isn't fond of new world wines. Eto na FR ko ..... ng wine hah! Haha hindi ng date ko ... :P

We had a bottle of 1999 Evans & Tate Redbrook CabSav and I have to say ang lakas ng sipa! Imagine we only managed to finish half a bottle! I suppose having my palate accustomed to old world wines of late which in comparison to the Redbrook CabSav were mellow, purposive yet oh so subtle (but nevertheless excellent) in a very seductive manner so to speak. The Redbrook CabSav was very ripe to the taste and smell -- lotsa plum I think. :unsure: It was quite a shock to the mouth (in a good way). Very powerful like an explosion in the mouth and quite intense the way a rollercoaster ride feels. Haha that's the best description I could manage.

And that's it. Haha parang bitin ano? :lol:

After Marilyn, it seems the King of Rock n Roll has also emblazoned his name on a wine bottle. Check out these wine releases from, where else, Graceland Cellars of Hayward, California - "All Shook Up", a 2004 sauvignin blanc, Jailhouse Red Merlot, the King Cabernet Sauvignon, and Blue Suede Chardonnay. A holiday release of 4000 cases of Blue Christmas cabernet sauvignon reportedly sold out last November.

:cool:

We had a bottle of 1999 Evans & Tate Redbrook CabSav and I have to say ang lakas ng sipa!  Imagine we only managed to finish half a bottle!  I suppose having my palate accustomed to old world wines of late which in comparison to the Redbrook CabSav were mellow, purposive yet oh so subtle (but nevertheless excellent) in a very seductive manner so to speak.  The Redbrook CabSav was very ripe to the taste and smell -- lotsa plum I think.  :unsure:  It was quite a shock to the mouth (in a good way).  Very powerful like an explosion in the mouth and quite intense the way a rollercoaster ride feels.  Haha that's the best description I could manage. 

I suppose the Redbrook has high alcohol and this being a 1999 made it pack such a wallop. Evans & Tate is a Margaret River wine. I don't know what it is with the region. My favorite shiraz is also from there and I've been drinking a 1999 Margaret River sauvignon blanc and I should say ang lakas ng tama nya for a white wine. Such intensity and power.

An Australian auction house, Langton's, has been releasing a list of fine Australian wines since 1991 based on track record and rep*tation measured through auction market presence, consistency, volume of demand and price realisations. If for nothing else, this is a good indicator of what's good out there on the Australian wine scene.

Langton's releases a listing every 5 years and it comprises four rankings: Exceptional, Outstanding, Excellent and Distinguished. Each level represents a certain strength and market identity and all wines require a minimum of 10 vintages made and a track record in auction markets.

The 2005 Langton's Classification of Australian Wines is composed of 101 wines voted not by wine judges or critics but by the thousands of wine enthusiasts who regularly participate in buying and selling fine Aussie wine at Langton's.

At the top echelon is the Exceptional wines and here are the 11 wines comprising this level:

Penfolds Bin 95 Grange Shiraz

Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet Sauvignon

Henschke Hill of Grace

Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay

Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon

Mount Mary Quintet Cabernet Blend

Wendouree Shiraz

Bass Phillip Reserve Pinot Noir

Cullen Diana Madeline Cabernet Sauvignon

Giaconda Chardonnay

Rockford Basket Press Shiraz

These are the most highly sought-after and prized Aussie wines on the market - which means we have a slim to nil chance of getting our hands on them :P

The last 4 wines are new entries to this level. Penfolds, Leeuwin, Moss Wood, Mount Mary and Wendouree have been on the Exceptional listing since 1991.

I will post some short notes and descriptions on these wineries/wines next time hehehe.

Also will post the wines on the Outstanding, Excellent and Distinguished levels.

cheers! :thumbsupsmiley:

I suppose the Redbrook has high alcohol and this being a 1999 made it pack such a wallop. Evans & Tate is a Margaret River wine. I don't know what it is with the region. My favorite shiraz is also from there and I've been drinking a 1999 Margaret River sauvignon blanc and I should say ang lakas ng tama nya for a white wine. Such intensity and power.

We had a bottle of 1999 Evans & Tate Redbrook CabSav and I have to say ang lakas ng sipa!  Imagine we only managed to finish half a bottle!  I suppose having my palate accustomed to old world wines of late which in comparison to the Redbrook CabSav were mellow, purposive yet oh so subtle (but nevertheless excellent) in a very seductive manner so to speak.  The Redbrook CabSav was very ripe to the taste and smell -- lotsa plum I think.  :unsure:  It was quite a shock to the mouth (in a good way).  Very powerful like an explosion in the mouth and quite intense the way a rollercoaster ride feels.  Haha that's the best description I could manage. 

how could you!!!! :grr: you mean to tell me that inspite of your so called busy schedules you still managed to drink!!! aba, aba!! and i have remained sober all this time preparing for the weekend!!!!! *#^%&@ ! i need a drinK! Cab savs have been a favorite before my unlearned stature (basta i know i like to drink) discovered shiraz and the tempranillo c/o bods!!! now 'm starting to drink whites... sauvignon blanc (there is a "ring" to it kasi!). the gold (single malts/blended) are staple!

wow, lipstick, i like your review... but next time start with the wine review before you tell us who you were drinking with.. men's imaginations are more vivid than what you know... para yang dibide, dibide, dibide.. hihihihi!!!

well, bods and i have been making the most out of every eb we plan.. perfect attendance lagi kami 2 or at least if one fails to show up it 50% attendance!!!! :lol: i am planning to have a u.s. (oregon), spanish (raimat) and french (burgundy) pinot noir night together with cheese and bitter greens with a coriander dressing (something i learned from la vigne).

That's the first thing I checked! The alcohol content! It's just 14% and I am told that's pretty low? :unsure: Anyway natawa ako sa WALLOP mo kasi bigla ko naalala yung jingle ng YC Bikini brief --- For the man that packs a wallop. WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how could you!!!! :grr:  you mean to tell me that inspite of your so called busy schedules you still managed to drink!!! aba, aba!! and i have remained sober all this time preparing for  the weekend!!!!! *#^%&@ !  i need a drinK!  Cab savs have been a favorite before my unlearned stature (basta i know i like to drink) discovered shiraz and the tempranillo c/o bods!!!  now 'm starting to drink whites... sauvignon blanc (there is a "ring" to it kasi!).  the gold (single malts/blended) are staple!

wow, lipstick, i like your review... but next time start with the wine review before you tell us who you were drinking with.. men's imaginations are more vivid than what you know... para yang dibide, dibide, dibide.. hihihihi!!! 

well, bods and i have been making the most out of every eb we plan.. perfect attendance lagi kami 2 or at least if one fails to show up it 50% attendance!!!! :lol:  i am planning to have a u.s. (oregon), spanish (raimat) and french (burgundy) pinot noir night together with cheese and bitter greens with a coriander dressing (something i learned from la vigne).

Pare! Read you were under the weather or something. You okay now? Is that the reason why you stayed sober? :P And wot's cookin' this weekend? The Mrs. is arriving na ba? Wahoooooo!!!! Put on that Barry White baby and let the luvvvv begin! :lol:

Pare!  Read you were under the weather or something.  You okay now?  Is that the reason why you stayed sober? :P  And wot's cookin' this weekend?  The Mrs. is arriving na ba?  Wahoooooo!!!! Put on that Barry White baby and let the luvvvv begin! :lol:

the bp was abit elevated -- nothing surprising just an isolated episode. i am well now, thank you.

1 more week, sistah and she'll be home but i have a client coming in the week after so i'll be gone. yup, barry white, sade, kenny g, gato barbier, etc.

eerrr... would that love be for the wines :huh: or meant for something else. ;)