Well, depends on what you mean by "best". What do YOU like? What flavors, body, nose (aroma), tannins, finish? You may not like wht I like, and vice versa. that's what make wine so challenging and so interesting. Do you like fruity, tannic, autere, fleshy?

Can you describe the red wines you like? what flavors do you taste in the wine? What varietals attract you the most? that would help get you some suggestions.

I did try a few good wines today - went to Retzlaff with some friends to pick up some wine he'd bought pre-release. I tasted some of the wine and ended up buying a case, and splitting acase of what he'd pre-bought. I bought a case of the 2003 New Vines Cab. Very yoiung vines (3-4 years) that producce a light, drink-now, wine instead of a weighty put-down-for-7-years kind of wine. Would be nice slightly chilled with BBQ ribs or a good pork loin. Shared a case of Noah's 2001 Zin with him Noah is bob Taylor's son, and has his own winery up in Yountville - not too far from Eagleeyes!! Bob Taylor is winemaker and proprietor of Retzlaff vineyards in Livermore.

Then went to Fenestra to pick up my quarterly release of wines - a 2003 Semonnay (part semillon, part chardonnay), a crisp white with very little oak. A great summer wine. Serve chilled. Then there was the 2002 Malbec - anothyer fine wine. Good backbone of tannins, but nice bing cherries and a light hint of apricot. A bit of pepper on the nos and finish. I will hold this for a year or two before drinking. I ended up buying a 2001 Petit Sirah as well. bold, powerful. Anise and licorice, plum and a bit of raisin. Smoke on the nose and white pepper on the finish. Wow! Hold for at least 3 years.

I like reds over whites, but there are some whiltes that I just can't resist - the Retzlaff chards are just outstanding, as are the semonnays and viogniers from Fenestra.

Next week is the 4th of July - time for my annual bad wine contest, and good wine drinkfest. A bunch of good friends come over to eat, drink and be merry. And, coincidentally, watch the fireworks shows that at least 4 different places put on - Great america, Moffet Field, Shoreline and downtown San Jose. Can't wait. Black meat, smoke baby back ribs, and wine, wine, wine!

yeah - more wine!

nice to know you're doing great....

didn't know they make good malbecs there - malbec is indigenous to Argentina, right?

yes you're right, pare - although red is the drink of choice, I also can't resist the semillons and sauvignon blancs from Margaret River...simply different

have a good one!!!!  seems like bods and i might have good reason to celebrate Fil-Am friendship day as well.  what say you, bods?!!!

Any excuse for a party, I always say! But since it's a Monday and Tuesday is a work day, go easy on the stuff! I had a really good wine weekend - maybe too good! I could not get up and go to the gym this morning.......but, there's always tomorrow, right?

Monday?  Thursday?  hmmmm, pare, let me see my drinking schedule..... I can only drink on days ending in "y"!!!!!! :D

Sure... I'll just let me know when you are free.

:lol: :lol: I'm a bit more specific - the days have to end in "day"! :lol: :lol:

Seriously (or maybe not) - last weekend was a bit over the top so I decided to cool it a bit. No wine last night. But tonight - now THAT's another matter. I plan to open one of those Retzlaff New Vine Cabs I just picked up - whatever we're having for dinner. It's light enough to go with just about anything, except maybe caviar, which I KNOW for sure is NOT on tonight's menu.

Funny thing happened last weekend (well, funny now but not at the time but it is now). I stopped by Big White House in Livermore to pick up a case of their California Port that I had bought as futures last October. The woman there took my receipt, and went to the back room. Came out with a case. I didn't bother to open it - it felt heavy enough so I just put the case in my car and we drove off. WE got to my friend's house (he was taking half thecase) and opened tha case, only to find - 12 EMPTY BOTTLES! Clean, but empty and unlabeled! Damn, damn and double damn!

So I called to leave him a voice message, and also sent him an email. I got a reply - a very nice one - and the result is I go next weekend to pick up my case. The winemaker guarantees this case will have nice, full bottles! :lol:

Hi bods, masi, agxo, spurt, lipstick, and all other wine lovers.  When's the next WEB event?  Hope I can join you guys.

Hey, I'd like to join too! Unfortunately I only get to enjoy from afar - like, 8,000 miles afar! But have fun anyway! And let me know when - I'll have my own WEB over here and think of you guys as I pour out the grape juice.

hey guys, let's tentatively set it for next Thursday, July 7.

Ok with you?

Somehow, drinking wine with like-minded people is far more enjoyable than drinking alone and being left with your insidious thoughts :P

Can't wait to drink again with you guys!

masi - do we buy a shiraz again?

spurt - ang dami na naming utang sa iyo, but we really appreciate the wines you bring

pinoy - yeah, it would be fun to have you drink with us. Do hang around for further details.

Monday?  Thursday?  hmmmm, pare, let me see my drinking schedule..... I can only drink on days ending in "y"!!!!!! :D

Sure... I'll just let me know when you are free.

ok. For purposes of promoting the general well-being of all the wine-drinkers here, let's conclusively and with finality declare that we shall only drink on days ending with 'y' or those suffixed with 'day'.

Anyone contradicting this fiat shall be made, on our drinking sessions, to drink either Carlo Rossi or Novellino. :sick:

:lol: :upside: :wacko:

:lol:  :lol: I'm a bit more specific - the days have to end in "day"! :lol:  :lol:

Seriously (or maybe not) - last weekend was a bit over the top so I decided to cool it a bit. No wine last night. But tonight - now THAT's another matter. I plan to open one of those Retzlaff New Vine Cabs I just picked up - whatever we're having for dinner. It's light enough to go with just about anything, except maybe caviar, which I KNOW for sure is NOT on tonight's menu.

Funny thing happened last weekend (well, funny now but not at the time but it is now). I stopped by Big White House in Livermore to pick up a case of their California Port that I had bought as futures last October. The woman there took my receipt, and went to the back room. Came out with a case. I didn't bother to open it - it felt heavy enough so I just put the case in my car and we drove off. WE got to my friend's house (he was taking half thecase) and opened tha case, only to find - 12 EMPTY BOTTLES! Clean, but empty and unlabeled! Damn, damn and double damn!

So I called to leave him a voice message, and also sent him an email. I got a reply - a very nice one - and the result is I go next weekend to pick up my case. The winemaker guarantees this case will have nice, full bottles!  :lol:

pare, what do you think happened there :huh:

hey guys, let's tentatively set it for next Thursday, July 7.

Ok with you?

Somehow, drinking wine with like-minded people is far more enjoyable than drinking alone and being left with your insidious thoughts :P

Can't wait to drink again with you guys!

masi - do we buy a shiraz again?

spurt - ang dami na naming utang sa iyo, but we really appreciate the wines you bring

pinoy - yeah, it would be fun to have you drink with us. Do hang around for further details.

July 7 is good for me.. told you only drinking days are those ending in y or as agxo puts it, day....

is barcino the venue or another place.... if it's barcino, maybe we ought to try their wines. they have pretty reasonably priced wines there too, including a spanish shiraz... who knows one of us might end up doing the fandango. :thumbsupsmiley:

:lol:  :lol: I'm a bit more specific - the days have to end in "day"! :lol:  :lol:

So I called to leave him a voice message, and also sent him an email. I got a reply - a very nice one - and the result is I go next weekend to pick up my case. The winemaker guarantees this case will have nice, full bottles!  :lol:

what a mishap with the bottles!!!! is it a foretelling of better days? i hope it is otherwise you have to get a bottle form their personal cellar!!!

how i envy your location!!!! right smack in the middle of U.S. wine country... there couldnt be a better way unless you own your vineyard.. maybe that time bods and i would be on the first plane to visit you and be your apprentices...

ok. For purposes of promoting the general well-being of all the wine-drinkers here, let's conclusively and with finality declare that we shall only drink on days ending with 'y' or those suffixed with 'day'.

Anyone contradicting this fiat shall be made, on our drinking sessions, to drink either Carlo Rossi or Novellino. :sick:

:lol:  :upside:  :wacko:

certified winos!!!! my gahd, bods, how could you be so mean!!!!!! :lol:

July 7 is good for me.. told you only drinking days are those ending in y or as agxo puts it, day.... 

is barcino the venue or another place.... if it's barcino, maybe we ought to try their wines.  they have pretty reasonably priced wines there too, including a spanish shiraz... who knows one of us might end up doing the fandango. :thumbsupsmiley:

it could be you, pare, as you were a habitue of all those 80's dancespots :P

I might play the flamenco on some wet strings if their Spanish pinot noir is excellent :evil:

what a mishap with the bottles!!!! is it a foretelling of better days?  i hope it is otherwise you have to get a bottle form their personal cellar!!!

how i envy your location!!!! right smack in the middle of U.S. wine country... there couldnt be a better way unless you own your vineyard.. maybe that time bods and i would be on the first plane to visit you and be your apprentices...

a road trip to wine country! :boo:

parang SIDEWAYS!

then who should we take along as Sandra Oh and Virginia Madsen :rolleyes:

hey hindi ako galit nun!

when I'm enraged it's a Chinese wine for you :P

How egregious! :sick:

:lol: Vino Kulafu! Yeah baby! k*ll 'em! hahahahahaha.

a road trip to wine country! :boo:

parang SIDEWAYS!

then who should we take along as Sandra Oh and Virginia Madsen :rolleyes:

I'm chinita but won't pass for sexy sandra oh. :lol: And well Virginia Madsen is in a class of her own! Hehe. Guess I'll have to stay in town. :(

Where's my award? :rolleyes: