You do have to let the reds come back up to temperature before drinking. I like my reds slightly cooler than most people do, and my whites slightly warmer. So reds I take out of the fridge about a half hour before drinking, the white about 15 minutes. I have my fridge set to 38 deg F so it is pretty cold!

tried it yesterday - chucked my opened bottle in the fridge. But I still like it uncooled, or warm - nasanay na ako siguro :P

maybe it had something to do with not taking the bottle out a half-hour before drinking - as you suggested...I'll try that next time...

huwait. is there gonna be another wine eb???

bods, please let me know when and where. will be in the ortigas area if that's the plan. :)

oh, but i am on phase one of the south beach diet.. which means no alcohol. although i think a glass (or two... or three...) shouldn't hurt. :P

ms. m, you can meet up with us at 630 tonight Wine Depot Julia Vargas because we still don't know where we'll end up :P

see you!

You do have to let the reds come back up to temperature before drinking. I like my reds slightly cooler than most people do, and my whites slightly warmer. So reds I take out of the fridge about a half hour before drinking, the white about 15 minutes. I have my fridge set to 38 deg F so it is pretty cold!

that's near freezing... you may want to throw in a bottle of russian vodka and a couple of cupitas.

that's near freezing... you may want to throw in a bottle of russian vodka and a couple of cupitas.

Oh, no.....my freezer is set much colder than that! My freezer is set to 0 deg F! And that's barely enough to turn vodka into a syrupy kinda drink. I just had some limoncello in there and finally drank up the last of it. Nice and smooth, and very, very cold! Great on a chilly night.

But wine in a half-empty bottle warms up pretty quickly so from that temperature, 30 minutes is all it takes for the reds.

Have fun at the EB! Wish I could be there - hoist a glass or two in my name. Next time I go (which won't be until after typhoon season, I think!) I'll bring a couple of bottles from my private stash - maybe a Noah's 98 Los Chamizal (Sonoma County) merlot, or a '99 Retzlaff Livermore cab.

Winos! Pleasant buzz to you all. ;) So how well did the wine go down last night? Did you all have a longggggggggggg finish? :lol:

I regret missing it however the call of beautiful shoes at the Shang was blasting in my ears and I just couldn't resist. I was hoping you would be drinking in that area. :( I ended up having vodka all night at Aruba and interestingly they had Wolf Blass there and Stone Heaven (if I remember correctly) on their wine list.

Let's meet sometime soon at Cyrano Wine Bar and let our tongues roll on some lush nectar while reading some Neruda :)

Cheers!

Winos!  Pleasant buzz to you all. ;)  So how well did the wine go down last night?  Did you all have a longggggggggggg finish? :lol:

I regret missing it however the call of beautiful shoes at the Shang was blasting in my ears and I just couldn't resist.  I was hoping you would be drinking in that area. :(  I ended up having vodka all night at Aruba and interestingly they had Wolf Blass there and Stone Heaven (if I remember correctly) on their wine list.

Let's meet sometime soon at Cyrano Wine Bar and let our tongues roll on some lush nectar while reading some Neruda :)

Cheers!

calling last night's get together maybe an understatement... we had a "feast-like" celebration, tapas paella, wines... top it with good company and conversation. i reserve it to bods for the detailed report.

Cyrano? just say when....

calling last night's get together maybe an understatement...  we had a "feast-like" celebration, tapas paella, wines... top it with good company and conversation.  i reserve it to bods for the detailed report.

Cyrano?  just say when....

Ahh I shall then await to be filled with envy over last night's bacchanalia! :lol: And to think I was just over at Metrowalk! :lol:

WHEN!!!! :boo:

:lol: Seriously, we must plan Cyrano soon!

Cheers!

ola...winos (pahiram, hanilips) :D

i'm not as wine-savvy as you guys but i do love wines. as they say it's good for the heart and, wholewineheartedly, i agree. my heart is in perfect condition! at least that's how i feel *toinks*.... i started collecting wines as early as 1997 but i only have a number of them up to this point as i always end up taking up a swig.

Mine's simply stored in a wooden rack but with the kind of temp here i think it's enough to retain its 'naughty and flirtatious ' taste. :D

masi, a golfer? check out mTc clubhouse....andun yung mga 19th hole addicts :lol:

cheers!

HK

Edited by ngneer_hk
Ahh I shall then await to be filled with envy over last night's bacchanalia! :lol:  And to think I was just over at Metrowalk! :lol:

WHEN!!!! :boo: 

:lol:  Seriously, we must plan Cyrano soon!

Cheers!

where is Cyrano exactly? if it's in Makati, i'm good whenever there is a calling...

in fact, as i woke up this morning, i could still taste the flavors of the cab and the shiraz we had.. i was truly craving for a glass even before i could take my morning java.

ok we stick to the original plan....

(since spurt is also here and he might not go online again till meeting time)

6:30 PM MEETING POINT - WINE DEPOT Julia Vargas Ave.

after which we bring the bottle/s to wherever we can drink it - most likely Churchill's Edsa Shamg.

Now, why did I stumble on this only now? :grr:

I was at the Ortigas Home Depot around past 5pm yesterday. Had I known you guys were meeting up, I could have joined in . . . Nasa tapat lang nun yung Wine Depot diba?

Discovered any good reislings lately, pareng bods?

Oh, no.....my freezer is set much colder than that! My freezer is set to 0 deg F! And that's barely enough to turn vodka into a syrupy kinda drink. I just had some limoncello in there and finally drank up the last of it. Nice and smooth, and very, very cold! Great on a chilly night.

But wine in a half-empty bottle warms up pretty quickly so from that temperature, 30 minutes is all it takes for the reds.

Have fun at the EB! Wish I could be there - hoist a glass or two in my name. Next time I go (which won't be until after typhoon season, I think!) I'll bring a couple of bottles from my private stash - maybe a Noah's 98 Los Chamizal (Sonoma County) merlot, or a '99 Retzlaff Livermore cab.

do are you keeping a live Eskimo in your freezer? :)

now that bods and i have warmed up our acquaintances... we are surely looking forward to your forthcoming visit and a taste from your private collection...

ola...winos (pahiram, hanilips) :D

i'm not as wine-savvy as you guys but i do love wines. as they say it's good for the heart and, wholewineheartedly, i agree. my heart is in perfect condition! at least that's how i feel *toinks*.... i started collecting wines as early as 1997 but i only have a number  of them up to this point as i always end up taking up a swig.

Mine's simply stored in a wooden rack but with the kind of temp here i think it's enough to retain its 'naughty and flirtatious ' taste. :D

masi, a golfer? check out mTc clubhouse....andun yung mga 19th hole addicts :lol:

cheers!

HK

Hey HKHItad! Stop stalking me! :lol:

Kidding aside I know you are very fond of reds. :P Let's grab a couple when you get to town!

Cheers!

where is Cyrano exactly?  if it's in Makati, i'm good whenever there is a calling... 

in fact, as i woke up this morning, i could still taste the flavors of the cab and the shiraz we had.. i was truly craving for a glass even before i could take my morning java.

Cyrano is at the corner of Legaspi and Palanca Sts in Legaspi Village. :) Quiet place with an al fresco area for smokers who want to frolick in the grass (on tatami mats of course!) amongst candles with a glass in hand. We should really schedule one soon with all the winos.

Cheers!

last night, bods, spurt and i drank 2 bottles (thanks to spurt for bringing 2 bottles) while bods bought a Millstone Shiraz 2001 at Wine Depot.

we drank the shiraz after we made sure that the bottle of cabernet sauvignon (spurt agreed to post the notes) which spurt brought was dry and empty..

like any of the shiraz that i had to share with bods, the Millstone was a pleasure to be with, a deep crimson color which is typical, a spicy earthy (i got a hint of caramel but there was a countervailing comment) and a luscious bouquet on the nose.

the taste affirmed its spicy (not oak but peppery) earthy character which our nose revealed at the beginning. hardly any strong tanins. a dry and balance finish. but it doesn't end there...as the wine "breathed" the character of the Millstone Shiraz 2001 continued to evolve in the palate. truly a marvel.

nice meeting you masi & bods.... then this maria & husband. hehehe i'm so tempted to open this raimat, but i should share di ba.

as promised, the wine tasting i mentioned happened yesterday. no near sched yet.

anyway, i will see you again guys & enjoy more wines. let's see our tendencies maybe of jumping from the new old to the old world, hehehe.

Now, why did I stumble on this only now? :grr:

I was at the Ortigas Home Depot around past 5pm yesterday.  Had I known you guys were meeting up, I could have joined in . . . Nasa tapat lang nun yung Wine Depot diba?

Discovered any good reislings lately, pareng bods?

Hi Magaling .... I haven't had riesling in ages but have you tried the Traminer Riesling? It's just absolutely fantabulous.

nice meeting you masi & bods.... then this maria & husband. hehehe i'm so tempted to open this raimat, but i should share di ba.

as promised, the wine tasting i mentioned happened yesterday. no near sched yet.

anyway, i will see you again guys & enjoy more wines. let's see our tendencies maybe of jumping from the new old to the old world, hehehe.

the pleasure is ours, as well.. good wine, good food, good place, good people....

i agree.. we need to be borderless in appreciating the wines of old and new...

the one i brought i thought was with parker 81 points was not eagle & rose, it was paringa cab sauv, this one i also have then i'll bring next time.

this eagle & rose cab 1999 we had is robust yet elegant structure & a flannel soft texture. with hints of sweet oak since its aged in french oaks. a refined wine with focused, bright fruit & flavors of wild cherries, cranberries & licorice.

FR (FIZZ REPORT) ON THE 2ND WINE EB, JUNE 23, 2005

I was quite early at Wine Depot so I starting getting in touch with the guys who might be there. Masi and spurt both replied they were on their way. In due time, masi arrived and we entered the wine store. There, like two boys set free in a toy store, we rummaged through the shelves and went up and down the modest aisles sorting through bottles and bottles of reds, whites, roses, California, Aussie, French, S. African, etc.. We even made some curious look-see at the spirits section, wondering how a tawny port would taste like.

We decided to give way to our Taste of the Moment and choose a shiraz from all these clutter. It had to be a 2000 or a 2001 so as to have a fair chance at escaping the uncertainties of a young wine. Randomly, we decided that a mid-priced 2001 Millstone Shiraz from Petaluma would be interesting.

The next problem was picking a place with decent corkage charges, decent food and conducive ambience. The guard was pointing us to a place there but we suspected it was a Dampa-type of place where a wine would look out of place and we would be smelling of smoke afterwards.

Spurt soon arrived and he suggested a complex of food places down the street. Off we go, convoy-type, and soon lost each other :lol: I lost spurt because he was able to go through the intersection before the traffic aide unbelievably stopped masi and me hehehe....masi lost me because he thought he was following my vehicle, I missed the entrance to the place and had to go back up again to the other side and make another trip down the street. In all, I mused that this comedy of errors could only be assuaged by some good drinking later on. The rain was beginning to make its presence felt at around this time.

We soon picked up a place out of the whole maze of food places there. It was great! Barcino not only served food, it also had a superb collection of Spanish riojas, tempranillos, and would you believe, a Spanish pinot noir. An excellent array of Spanish treats was also available, besides which the owners were gracious enough to sit down with us and talk about wine, the economy, Spanish bodegas, their travels, etc. The clincher was that there was no corkage to be charged if we would buy some bottles later on.

It was a great evening - more than what we had hoped for by such a spontanous, impromptu, and somewhat haphazard planning. We took to heart agxo's advice by starting with the best of the lot - a 1999 Eagle and Rose cabernet sauvignon which spurt so graciously brought with him, together with a

1999 SeaRidge, another cab. Together with platefuls of jamon serrano, sausages and paella (which was superb, judging by the pronouncement of our certified Iberian gastronome, masi), the evening begun to weave its magic around us. The wines were superb (high praises to Eagle and Rose) and we developed more than a buzz from all the wine and food (we were not able to open the SeaRidge anymore as it was almost eleven then). I leave the tasting notes to my good friend, masi, being more wine-eloquent than me.

Spurt was a great guy. We were more than fortunate to have him here in the country for the EB, being busy and all with business. Need I say we had some great conversations about almost anything, which even culminated in the healthy debate between spurt and the owner about the coming-of-age of......................Chinese designers! :P

Indian wines surprisingly got some nods of approval from the owner...Chinese wines still waiting for that break-out....how they tasted seven varieties of a grenache varietal in some Spanish cavas....spurt's dabbling in surfing and the surfing equipments he also trades in........masi's contemplating on changing his Titleist gear and shifting to another one, or chucking golf altogether and going back to his former passion - cycling.....

The evening wore on, the wines clouding our perception of time. But yes - it was time to go home and muse how lucky we were to have such a grand time!

cheers!

here's more to the next EB :thumbsupsmiley:

pare, it was nice to finally see you!

thanks for the company, more so for the wines......

I have the SeaRidge, but I have to keep my wine openers out of sight for the meantime in the event I give in to the urge of opening it instead of saving it up for the next EB..

That was a great cab - that Eagle&Rose!

Thanks pare! See you again!

last night, bods, spurt and i drank 2 bottles (thanks to spurt for bringing 2 bottles) while bods bought a  Millstone Shiraz 2001 at Wine Depot.

we drank the shiraz after we made sure that the bottle of cabernet sauvignon (spurt agreed to post the notes) which spurt brought was dry and empty..

like any of the shiraz that i had to share with bods, the Millstone was a pleasure to be with, a deep crimson color which is typical, a spicy earthy (i got a hint of caramel  but there was  a countervailing comment) and a luscious bouquet on the nose.

the taste affirmed its spicy (not oak but peppery) earthy character which our nose revealed at the beginning. hardly any strong tanins. a dry and balance finish.  but it doesn't end there...as the wine "breathed" the character of the Millstone Shiraz 2001 continued to evolve in the palate. truly a marvel.

It was aged in French barriques for 18 months - I think that was the key!

It was great seeing you again, pare....I think our wine-drinking will become more and more frequent now :P

kahit may kontra dun sa shiraz, I think it all boils down again to preferences and bias - what the heck - we love whatever we drink!

cheers!

Winos!  Pleasant buzz to you all. ;)  So how well did the wine go down last night?  Did you all have a longggggggggggg finish? :lol:

I regret missing it however the call of beautiful shoes at the Shang was blasting in my ears and I just couldn't resist.  I was hoping you would be drinking in that area. :(  I ended up having vodka all night at Aruba and interestingly they had Wolf Blass there and Stone Heaven (if I remember correctly) on their wine list.

Cheers!

It would have been infinitely more delectable if you were around, together with ms.manners.

As it was, your spirit was with us - you remain the Rose in that Eagle&Rose we savored ;)