hehe I was by my lonesome then. I love your Malabon series - wish I can get one after we renovate.

You mentioned Barcinos. Now that's a place I miss. Nagpalit na ba ng owners ito? A friend of mine said he saw some Spanish-looking types running the place when he was there. I remember masi and me chatting with the Pinoy owners two or three years back...

Sorry double posts! Yes an EB would be good but my schedule for next week is not yet firmed up.

Pareng masi do tell me kung may mga wine tasting dyan sa Wine Depot sa Connecticut St. We can always show up there hehehe

yup, pareng bods, i remember those times!!! a quaint place for ebs! i think my last visit was a year ago. but then it was still owned by the same folks.

i was informed by the sales staff that wine tasting events are every friday. no particular schedule na.

yup, pareng bods, i remember those times!!! a quaint place for ebs! i think my last visit was a year ago. but then it was still owned by the same folks.

i was informed by the sales staff that wine tasting events are every friday. no particular schedule na.

I'm afraid Barcino's not quaint anymore, ever since it was included in Phil. Tattler's listing of Best Restaurants in the Philippines. (Dear old O was also there - shameless plug hehehe). My friend said he couldn't get a table when he was there - the place was packed and jumping. So gone are the days when only the two or three of us were there (you, me and Ms. Lips - I mention her on the fervent wish she makes an appearance here when she sees her name hehehe), getting drunk on tempranillo, smoking cigars(yes! smoking inside the establishment - I wonder if it's still allowed), getting full on cold cuts and hearing stories from the owners on some of their Iberian wine jaunts. Too good to last....

@Bods, masi, and storm

Geez now I so regret that I never had the chance to share the tempranillos with you at Barcino's from years past. Ngayon, bawal na sa akin uminom kaya't hanggang Diet coke na lang ako! Que barbaridad! Hahaha

I still get the chance to pass by the place from time to time...mostly after I hit a few buckets at the range right across. (I live near the area btw.)

You are correct in saying that Barcino's management has changed hands. Though they still have the same wide selection of vino español, the place is now less deli and more resto. The menu has also expanded to include more tapas to choose from. As before, the prices have remained quite reasonable.

If you don't mind having one pathetically coke-chugging fool hanging around you during your next wine eb in this place, I'd gladly come along just for the chat.... :blush:

My friend said he couldn't get a table when he was there - the place was packed and jumping. So gone are the days when only the two or three of us were there (you, me and Ms. Lips - I mention her on the fervent wish she makes an appearance here when she sees her name hehehe), getting drunk on tempranillo, smoking cigars(yes! smoking inside the establishment - I wonder if it's still allowed), getting full on cold cuts and hearing stories from the owners on some of their Iberian wine jaunts. Too good to last....

I guess I should consider myself lucky that my group never had a problem getting seats. But then again, we frequently go there lunch time or early evenings.

I do remember having to step out for a cigarette. Unlike before when the owner was herself a smoker, the new señorito there is not....

@Bods, masi, and storm

Geez now I so regret that I never had the chance to share the tempranillos with you at Barcino's from years past. Ngayon, bawal na sa akin uminom kaya't hanggang Diet coke na lang ako! Que barbaridad! Hahaha

I still get the chance to pass by the place from time to time...mostly after I hit a few buckets at the range right across. (I live near the area btw.)

You are correct in saying that Barcino's management has changed hands. Though they still have the same wide selection of vino español, the place is now less deli and more resto. The menu has also expanded to include more tapas to choose from. As before, the prices have remained quite reasonable.

If you don't mind having one pathetically coke-chugging fool hanging around you during your next wine eb in this place, I'd gladly come along just for the chat.... :blush:

SURE!!!! It would be a pleasure! Now that everyone's out in the open (just like frogs to the monsoon!!!!), it's ripe for another wine eb.

Roll call na!!!

Storm (and Mrs. Storm)

Igol eyes,

Bods

Magaling

Liberty (I'm counting her in)

Masi (of course I'm liberty's chauffeur!)

Lipstick ?!

Agxo (aren't you scheduled to be here this month?)

Boomouse (are you in! or are you in?)

Others whom we missed out ... of course you're invited. Simply get in touch with us or post your presence.

Date and Venue to follow (labo ata nito, may eb pero walang date and venue?)

Edited by masi
SURE!!!! It would be a pleasure! Now that everyone's out in the open (just like frogs to the monsoon!!!!), it's ripe for another wine eb.

Roll call na!!!

Storm (and Mrs. Storm)

Igol eyes,

Bods

Magaling

Liberty (I'm counting her in)

Masi (of course I'm liberty's chauffeur!)

Lipstick ?!

Agxo (aren't you scheduled to be here this month?)

Boomouse (are you in! or are you in?)

Others whom we missed out ... of course you're invited. Simply get in touch with us or post your presence.

Date and Venue to follow (labo ata nito, may eb pero walang date and venue?)

Sorry - next Taiwan trip is first week of August. Not sure if I can make that a 2 week trip or not, or at least add a weekend in Manila. Next one will likely be late Sept maybe early Oct. Then late Nov. Less travel this year! And maybe next year as well - budget cuts and all at work......

I'll find out and let you all know. Let me know what your schedules are like for early August! Haven't seen Ms. Lips in many a year, Bods almost 2 years now! Since I don't check anything in it will be impossible to bring a bottle with me, but I'll see about picking up something at the Taoyuen airport. They sometimes have some promos and sometimes they're good!

No July 4th burnt meat and wine extravaganza this year! My much better half took a bad fall while cleaning the house earlier this week and ended up with a separated shoulder. She's got her right arm in a sling for the next several days.... Well, at least nothing's broken!

So we picked up the daughter Thursday night and went to dinner at a place called Shokolaat in Palo Alto. She had the quail in a puff pastry topped with foie gras and a scoop of black truffle ice cream on the side. Wow!!! I had the duck breast with foie gras and a cherry/port wine reduction. I thought it was wonderful, then she gave me a bit of the black truffle ice cream to put on top of the foie gras - now THAT is total decadence!!!!

For wine, we had a 2006 (!!!yes, 2006) Frog's Leap Zinfandel. A bit rough first out of the bottle with that green edge on the back end that is characteristic of young wines but after 10 minutes, it rounded right out and was OUTSTANDING! Bing cherries front and center. A touch of tobacco and a hint of tar in the middle and a loooooooong finish. Went well with both the quail and the duck breast.

For the 4th we went to my brother's place in San Jose - tri-tips on the grill, and a nice, soft Oz shiraz to wash it down with. Not bad!!!!

@Bods, masi, and storm

It would be great to see you again! Come join us - you can drink anything you want and nobody would mind, pare.

Any idea on why Barcino's changed hands? If we only had an inkling that the previous owners wanted to divest, sana tayo na lang bumili! :thumbsupsmiley:

I do remember having to step out for a cigarette. Unlike before when the owner was herself a smoker, the new señorito there is not....

Que barbaridad!!!

A Spaniard that does not smoke? That's like an Australian that does not drink beer! lol

Speaking of Aussies, do you know that distances in the Australian outback are measured by the amount of beer you can consume while enroute? Asking a barmaid the distance to some place would elicit a response like this: "Well, it's a carton to Waurope, then it's a further six-pack to Tennant Creek." :upside:

It would be great to see you again! Come join us - you can drink anything you want and nobody would mind, pare.

Any idea on why Barcino's changed hands? If we only had an inkling that the previous owners wanted to divest, sana tayo na lang bumili! :thumbsupsmiley:

Pre' I will try my best. My HS batch has an event this Friday around the Ortigas area. Subukan ko humabol sa inyo coz it look like you guys will be in Makati?

Well, the current owner of Barcinos used to be the foreign partner of the previous owners. From what I know, the previous owners who are Pinoys decided to migrate? Oo nga sayang...I've always dreamt of having a place like this.

Que barbaridad!!!

A Spaniard that does not smoke? That's like an Australian that does not drink beer! lol

Hahaha! But you gotta understand amigo...he's Catalan and not Castila like us! Hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, we regularly have wine and cheeze parties with my pals. usually expensive wines dahil the cheap below P500/bottle wines daw are not good for the kidney because of some substance in low quality grapes.

But Franzia Chillable Red is still acceptable lalo na ngayong tag hirap hehehe

Actually, we regularly have wine and cheeze parties with my pals. usually expensive wines dahil the cheap below P500/bottle wines daw are not good for the kidney because of some substance in low quality grapes.

uh oh I better go to a doctor to have my kidneys checked :unsure:

pray tell what this toxic substance is in low-quality grapes, and please define what is a low-quality grape :goatee:

With Franzia, I would rather donate my kidneys than drink this swill.

Cheers! Bababa na gasolina hehehe

uh oh I better go to a doctor to have my kidneys checked :unsure:

pray tell what this toxic substance is in low-quality grapes, and please define what is a low-quality grape :goatee:

With Franzia, I would rather donate my kidneys than drink this swill.

Cheers! Bababa na gasolina hehehe

same sentiments on franzia, but i shouldn't say anything bad cause i've never drank it

and with the grapes, how much lower quality can it get than table grapes

and we eat those almost every day :rolleyes:

@storm - text kita mamaya :)

Edited by igol ays