In behalf of all the winos here, missing or not, we also greet you a Happy Christmas and a meaningful and more God-blessed New Year.

Cheers!

The Rubicon was great! I found a rally nice vinho verde to go with the tapas. My daughter found an Italian bubbly - creamy, smooth, a hint of yeast, some brioche and a bit of nuttiness. We closed out with a 2000 Rubicon Cask cab. Great smooth tannins, and fruit coming forward for great balance.

Lots of leftovers. Just finished off the jamon iberico with some olives, then a small slice of pannetone. For dinner, the ribs from the prime rib, deep fried to a crisp. Kinda like tadyang but with the seasoning from my sea salt, fresh horseradish, rosemary and thyme crust. Mmmmm - can't wait. I'll open some kind of red with it - maybe a syrah? That should stand up to the flavors and the tannins should cut right through the fatty beef.

I hope you all had a great Christmas. And all the best for the coning year! And may all your wine be yummy!

Hopefully I will get to visit Manila some time in the year - my high school buddies have been talking about an end of year trip so maybe that will be it!

• 2 weeks later...

TC made beef adobo with gata for dinner the other night. The question - what to drink with dinner?

Then I remembered a Vouvray I picked up a few months ago. Vouvray is made with chenin blanc grapes, and tends towards the softer style, with good acidity for a backbone and great fruit up front. Not sweet at all, but very light and refreshing. Aciditiy to stand up to the vinegar in the adobo and cut through the fatty gata and beef fat.

Et viola! Magic!

Now THAT was a flash of serendipity.....

post-33551-0-03455500-1326066802.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so we are all lurkers now hehe

Cheers, bro, let's see each other again when the vineyards bloom.

busy, busy, busy.......

making beer-braised short ribs for dinner tonight while watching the oscars. got it browned and the veggies cooked down, now it's in the oven for aouple of hors.

having a nz pinot with it - zebra. hopefully it will go well!

agxo:

Hope the ribs went down well with the Oscars viewing, as I myself found the results unpalatable. When will they stop giving the top award to novelties? Haha. But that's just me. This old fogey would have wanted Gary Oldman to win, or Moneyball to have passed on the outside and won.

I saw Moneyball on dvd - yes, it hasn't been shown in theaters here, no thanks

to the intelligent beings here called movie distributors - and I found it impressive. To make such a small premise into such a big and interesting and riveting movie is quite an achievement. I have always found baseball fascinating and I always root for underdogs.

Now where's the wine in this? So very off-topic. Well, nowadays I just drink common and inexpensive wines. But it's still great company.

Cheers!

agxo:

Hope the ribs went down well with the Oscars viewing, as I myself found the results unpalatable. When will they stop giving the top award to novelties? Haha. But that's just me. This old fogey would have wanted Gary Oldman to win, or Moneyball to have passed on the outside and won.

I saw Moneyball on dvd - yes, it hasn't been shown in theaters here, no thanks

to the intelligent beings here called movie distributors - and I found it impressive. To make such a small premise into such a big and interesting and riveting movie is quite an achievement. I have always found baseball fascinating and I always root for underdogs.

Now where's the wine in this? So very off-topic. Well, nowadays I just drink common and inexpensive wines. But it's still great company.

Cheers!

The ribs and wine made the Oscar results more tolerable. I was rooting for Gary Oldman, too! Oh, well.......

The NZ pinot was not bad at all! I hae a couple more bottles, then that's it for that lot of wines. But not to fear - there are another 300 bottles just waiting to be popped and enjoyed! ;)

Simple dinner tonight - French onion soup, calabrese salami, some cheese and toasted baguettes with olive oil and tomato paste smeared on (a riff on the toast served at many tapas joints in Madrid). Maybe a bit of panna cotta for dessert. All this with a light and fresh tempranillo.

• 4 weeks later...

The ribs and wine made the Oscar results more tolerable. I was rooting for Gary Oldman, too! Oh, well.......

The NZ pinot was not bad at all! I hae a couple more bottles, then that's it for that lot of wines. But not to fear - there are another 300 bottles just waiting to be popped and enjoyed! ;)

Simple dinner tonight - French onion soup, calabrese salami, some cheese and toasted baguettes with olive oil and tomato paste smeared on (a riff on the toast served at many tapas joints in Madrid). Maybe a bit of panna cotta for dessert. All this with a light and fresh tempranillo.

Pre how are you? Such a long time...

Well the Oscars are now history. Wonder what the surprises will be next year, and yes, Moneyball was finally shown hear, but I guess a lot of people have already seen it on the small screen, so a homerun at the tills was a remote possibility.

Good for you with those wines. 300 more bottles? That's a lot of vintages you got there.

Haven't seen any of the guys here. But I guess they're okay. It's still me and my simple wines every night, and lately with my bros-in-law, as all of us got a scare when one of them underwent a "medical situation" lately hehe. So all bets are off on beer and in the homestretch wine finally is winning.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bods,

Just to let you know that I've recently visited your restos at Morato and Greenhills. Great food! Have a good 1!

Hehe so many thanks!

Wish we could have seen each other. Talking of which, I caught a glimpse of you and your beloved other half in that mall that was in the news lately. In fact two days after that, a bloody incident involving a grenade, bullets and a moneychanger erupted. Glad to know you're okay.

Hehe so many thanks!

Wish we could have seen each other. Talking of which, I caught a glimpse of you and your beloved other half in that mall that was in the news lately. In fact two days after that, a bloody incident involving a grenade, bullets and a moneychanger erupted. Glad to know you're okay.

Our office is in the area. In fact when I was on the phone with our US principals when that grenade exploded. At that moment I just wished it was a truck tyre exploding because other than that I knew it would be a criminal blast! We're all safe. Thanks for the concern! Hope to see you soon!

Para hindi OT, I just opened a Nobilo Icon Sauv Blanc 2008 Marlborough. I was great -- mind hints of guava, passion fruit. It was so good that even non-wine drinkers loved it!

Hehe so many thanks!

Our office is in the area. In fact when I was on the phone with our US principals when that grenade exploded. At that moment I just wished it was a truck tyre exploding because other than that I knew it would be a criminal blast! We're all safe. Thanks for the concern! Hope to see you soon!

Para hindi OT, I just opened a Nobilo Icon Sauv Blanc 2008 Marlborough. I was great -- mind hints of guava, passion fruit. It was so good that even non-wine drinkers loved it!

When I saw you I that was when I remembered that your office was nearby. For two straight days we were at the Cebu Pac office there, which was just a few meters from where I supposed it happened. We are still blessed, pare. Thank God.

Not much here on the wine front. Still opening the same wines hehe