I had some Dourthe Beau Mayne Rose this evening. A very light and easy drinking wine, which I think is typical for rose class.

Visual - light orange pink

Nose - young floral with mild oak;

Mouth - light with hints of apple

Finish - light with mild peppery tannins. Reminds me of a Merlot.

Great wine to have for light and easy conversation with friends.

Ola Winos! Hope everyone has been well ... am still catching up on the backreading bit! :lol: Just wanted to quickly say that I had a vino drinking binge last Thursday as we had our yearly company Halloween thingo-- 4 bottles of various reds and a bottle of white. Will post my tasting notes (naks may nalalaman akong tasting notes eklavu! hahahaha) once I have my brains assembled. :lol: At the moment it's a tad laced with at least two weeks worth of wine and Jack squeezed into a night. :wacko:

p.s. Masi! Luv the crawford analogy! :thumbsupsmiley:

The White Shiraz intrigues me like Cindy Crawford :blush: Can't wait to try her, ahhh, I meant  it!!!  ;)

Hehehehe :D A had to read that line twice - the first time I read it as "Can't wait to try her AND I MEAN IT" hehehe

My 9-year old daughter, who was with us, took a teeny-weeny sip  and she said it was good and tasted like apple juice.  My daughter had taken similar teeny-weeny sips  of beer and  cab sav previously, as well. :*

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

My 9 year old daughter also too a sip of Shiraz last night - she said it was "salty"! :D It was a bit peppery though - a Nottage Shiraz - blood red, good legs, berry flavors with a strong peppery finish that doesn't linger. Dry and Full bodied. I found it very simple and good. The label says it's complicated with hints of vanillin oak. Goes well with beef.

We followed it with a sip of Grant Burge 10 year old Port.

Ola Winos!  Hope everyone has been well ... am still catching up on the backreading bit! :lol:  Just wanted to quickly say that I had a vino drinking binge last Thursday as we had our yearly company Halloween thingo-- 4 bottles of various reds and a bottle of white.  Will post my tasting notes (naks may nalalaman akong tasting notes eklavu! hahahaha) once I have my brains assembled.  :lol:  At the moment it's a tad laced with at least two weeks worth of wine and Jack squeezed into a night. :wacko:

p.s.  Masi!  Luv the crawford analogy! :thumbsupsmiley:

Princess Vino (or should it be Vina! :D ) Great to know that inspite of your busy schedule, you managed to have some wine to start a long weekend. We'll be waiting for your notes and a pic of that Halloween costume. :evil:

Hehehehe  :D  A had to read that line twice -  the first time I read it as "Can't wait to try her AND I MEAN IT"  hehehe

My 9 year old daughter also too a sip of Shiraz last night - she said it was "salty"!  :D  It was a bit peppery though - a Nottage Shiraz - blood red, good legs, berry flavors with a strong peppery finish that doesn't linger. Dry and Full bodied.  I found it very simple and good.  The label says it's complicated with hints of vanillin oak.  Goes well with beef.

We followed it with a sip of Grant Burge 10 year old Port.

FD, I hope we won't be arrested for giving alcohol to minors! :P I haven't tried Port but would like to try that sometime.

I trust everyone is having a great wine weekend!

With a Tony Bennett and K. D. Lang belting some standards in our midst, the wifey and I opened a bottle of Banrock Station 2003 White Shiraz (South Eastern Australia).

Visual was a light orange-pink just like a high end copper clad cookware.  Nose was a mix of strawberry and light citrus "pomelo , with just enough flavors of apricot and hints of a peppery spice.  Vibrant front end sweetness, which was almost unnatural (just like somebody added some sugar in it!), mouth with more apricot and hints of apple.  Finish was sweet and albeit balanced, the front end sweetness lingered and a very slight peppery spice end, just enough.

My 9-year old daughter, who was with us, took a teeny-weeny sip  and she said it was good and tasted like apple juice.  My daughter had taken similar teeny-weeny sips  of beer and  cab sav previously, as well. :*

This was a light but pleasurable to drink wine, which would go well with a good salad or a steamed meaty fish dish.  But since we didn't have that tonight, we ended up nibbling some proscuitto and crackers.  Oh, before I forget, I was smoking a Don Juan Urquijo, corona sized cigar.

I invited a few friends over late in the afternoon, however, they couldn't make it due to some previous engagements.  Good thing I have a few bottles of the same which I would hold for the next WEB.

If this wine revealed how my long "Undas" weekend would be, I look forward to a great holiday!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

I am posting the winemaker's notes for reference.

RECOMMENDATION: The Banrock Station White Shiraz is the ideal accompaniment with a warm Thai salad or spicy Asian stir-fry.

WINEMAKER’S COMMENTS:  Produced entirely from Shiraz grapes, gently pressed in an air bag press to prevent harsh tannins and colour from being extracted, and allowing fresh fruity flavours to dominate.

TASTING NOTES:  Light rose petal in colour, the Banrock Station White Shiraz displays a fresh lifted strawberry fruit nose, with floral rose and jasmine aromas.  These strawberry fruit flavours continue onto the semi-sweet palate, with a lovely zesty finish.  This wine is best consumed within the next 12 months.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

well pare it heartens me to know that despite several "friends" not coming over due to various reasons (one being can't make it out of the house :lol: ) you had a splendid evening with the wifey and you enjoyed that white shiraz.

You know I can't make my sons take even one sip of any liquor and it disheartens me a lot :P

I've been drinking Banrock Station shiraz for a good many years now and it is one of those simple, uncomplicated wines which I truly enjoy in my miserly ways :P Now I wonder how they can get those citrusy- flavored sweetness in a shiraz?

cheers! and have a long merry weekend!

I just started on the StarveDog Lane shiraz just the other night. It had that familiar overpowering bouquet I so love in a shiraz - I spend several minutes just sniffing it before I take even one sip hehe. It has fat and robust legs when I swirl it in the glass. The taste as usual is peppery at the back of the throat - moderate finish, almost no tannins (although I detected something puckery in my mouth the second night I was drinking it) and just a simple but nice mouth feel. I reckon it's good for two more nights and two more blues DVD's to drown it in :P

Well, look at it this way, while you're sitting back and enjoying a light spirited rose or a full bodied shiraz.... without the demands of your work... how will you live your life?  I think it's during  "crunchtime" that we are at our best... focused, objective and even more caring.  Hang in there and when the schedule gets light, we'll grab a drink!!!! :)

Gotta agree pare ... it's pressure that keeps me going. :lol: And I mean ALL SORTS of pressure! Harharhar. Yes we must grab a drink soon!!

That was quite a revelation!  :thumbsupsmiley: Such kind words and what a great way to start a day, much more a weekend. All I can say is THANK YOU but honestly, among friends, it's always worth my while to share a bottle and laughs.

Naks ... di ko alam ako or ikaw ang dapat bigyan ng AWARD. :lol: But like people say, praise is underserved flatterly and fortunately my folks brought me up to be truthful. ;)

syempre kailangang bumawi kasi na miss ko mag send ng bday card on her birthday kaya.....

Belated happy birthday to you...

Belated happy birthday to you...

Belate happy birthday, Belated happy birthday...

Belated happy birthday to you!!!

Hope you had a memorable one.....

http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/aola.gif

http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/singandcake.gif

http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/Saeufer.gif

Thanks Macy! :*

para naman akong superhero ah - ang alam ko comic character lang ako :P  thanks for the kind words pero di ko alam meaning ng genteel - baka Gentile ako  :lol:

welcome back - I do hope we get together again soon....

Pleasure is mine (err but that in no way is an indication that I am not a giver... :lol: ) Bahala ka kung gusto mo maging Philistine! :P Kidding aside, you are "genteel" Bods ... totally. And that's what makes up part of your charm. ;)

Like I mentioned earlier, we must get together soon for the sake of my sanity! I am fast becoming an ermitanya! Next thing you know eh baka maging taong bato na ako. :lol:

Princess Vino (or should it be Vina! :D )  Great to know that inspite of your busy schedule, you managed to have some wine to start a long weekend.  We'll be waiting for your notes and a pic of that Halloween costume. :evil:

Some wine is an understatement! By the time we hit the white eh parang wala na syang ganda. :lol: I'm just looking for my lil notebook where I posted my tasting notes (I made sure I did this kasi I knew I would totally forget after my 6th glass). Oh and the costume, I looked totally idiotic dressed as a school girl with matching white socks and black maryjanes. :lol: It's a blackmail photo!!! :wacko:

Speaking of Tony Bennet .... I just love Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook series. The lastest I have been listening to are Volumes 3 & 4. And if I may say, he just outdid himself in Volume 4. And the best part is the songs in volume 4 are just perfect to be sipping some red to! I most especially like his covers of "I Wish You Love," "Long Ago & Far Away" and this one just takes my breath away .... totally dreamy ....

My One And Only Love

The very thought of you makes my heart sing

Like an April breeze on the wings of spring

And you appear in all your splendor

My one and only love

The shadows fall and spread their mystic charms

In the hush of night while you're in my arms

I feel your lips so warm and tender

My one and only love

The touch of your hand is like heaven

A heaven that I've never known

The blush on your cheek whenever I speak

Tells me that you are my own

You fill my eager heart with such desire

Every kiss you give sets my soul on fire

I give myself in sweet surrender

My one and only love

The touch of your hand is like heaven

A heaven that I've never known

The blush on your cheek whenever I speak

Tells me that you are my own

You fill my eager heart with such desire

Every kiss you give sets my soul on fire

I give myself in sweet surrender

My one and only love

Hahaha and I would like to dedicate the above song to that St. Hugo that has me mesmerized till this very day after more than a year of leaving his lingering taste in my mouth! :lol:

p.s. Pareng Masi, give Lisa & Barry a rest and put on some Rod .... and take the Mrs. in your arms and ahhhh just dance. I can foresee another baby on the way!! :lol:

well pare it heartens me to know that despite several "friends" not coming over due to various reasons (one being can't make it out of the house  :lol: ) you had a splendid evening with the wifey and you enjoyed that white shiraz.  You know I can't make my sons take even one sip of any liquor and it disheartens me a lot :P

I've been drinking Banrock Station shiraz for a good many years now and it is one of those simple, uncomplicated wines which I truly enjoy in my miserly ways :P  Now I wonder how they can get those citrusy- flavored sweetness in a shiraz?

cheers! and have a long merry weekend!

I just started on the StarveDog Lane shiraz just the other night. It had that familiar overpowering bouquet I so love in a shiraz - I spend several minutes just sniffing it before I take even one sip hehe. It has fat and robust legs when I swirl it in the glass. The taste as usual is peppery at the back of the throat - moderate finish, almost no tannins (although I detected something puckery in my mouth the second night I was drinking it) and just a simple but nice mouth feel. I reckon it's good for two more nights and two more blues DVD's to drown it in :P

The white shiraz was a discovery! Honestly, I didn't know what to expect, albeit, I knew it couldn't be full bodied as what this varietal would be.

I like how that label, Starvedog Lane, sounds! Gives me the image of one salivating as the bottle is uncorked. :lol:

Some wine is an understatement!  By the time we hit the white eh parang wala na syang ganda. :lol:  I'm just looking for my lil notebook where I posted my tasting notes (I made sure I did this kasi I knew I would totally forget after my 6th glass).  Oh and the costume, I looked totally idiotic dressed as a school girl with matching white socks and black maryjanes. :lol:  It's a blackmail photo!!!  :wacko:

That must've been a quaint sight to see. You, in Japanese schoolgirl costume, scribbling notes on the wine and ending up drunk. (Just like watching a director's cut of girls behaving bad!!!) :boo: :lol: Hmmm, seems like the progression of the wines was not in order that's why that white ended up flat. :wacko:

Speaking of Tony Bennet .... I just love Rod Stewart's Great American Songbook series.  The lastest I have been listening to are Volumes 3 & 4.  And if I may say, he just outdid himself in Volume 4.  And the best part is the songs in volume 4 are just perfect to be sipping some red to!  I most especially like his covers of "I Wish You Love," "Long Ago & Far Away" and this one just takes my breath away .... totally dreamy ....

p.s. Pareng Masi, give Lisa & Barry a rest and put on some Rod .... and take the Mrs. in your arms and ahhhh just dance.  I can foresee another baby on the way!! :lol:

Sige, I will play that Rod Stewart next time, but I still do have to brush up on my dancing ability. I only know 2-dance steps... sweet and very sweet. :boo:

No wine for me last Halloween. But after a few friends and I did a lot of walking somewhere in Southern Metro Manila, we ended up taking a few swigs of Juan Manlalakad as we relived all the walking we did that morning!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

The white shiraz was a discovery!  Honestly, I didn't know what to expect, albeit, I knew it couldn't be full bodied as what this varietal would be. 

I like how that label, Starvedog Lane, sounds!  Gives me the image of one salivating as the bottle is  uncorked. :lol: 

I've been fascinated by the name ever since I first saw it on the shelves so the moment it went on sale, I grabbed it :P It has a black label with a dog sketch on it, or what passes for a dog as it's just some lines here and there, plus there's a small embossed bone in the bottom :wacko:

I took a sip again last night and it was getting flat already - anyway 4 days na itong bukas :P

What's that walk you're talking about? Was it a hike? I love that....been taking daily 5 km hikes here in the environs of our place....aside from the energy boost it gives you, a hike is a great moment for some rumination, some contemplation hehehe...great for the mind and body...

Hi Masi!

Thanks for dropping by the show last Saturday night. We enjoyed your company and the Rose siempre. It just made my face rosier though. :D

Speaking of suave Rod S. I have his volume 3. I'll check on vol. 4 tomorrow.

The pleasure was similarly ours! We'll be drinking more wines as we talk about art and May's brownies. :thumbsupsmiley:

I've been fascinated by the name ever since I first saw it on the shelves so the moment it went on sale, I grabbed it :P It has a black label with a dog sketch on it, or what passes for a dog as it's just some lines here and there, plus there's a small embossed bone in the bottom :wacko: 

I took a sip again last night and it was getting flat already - anyway 4 days na itong bukas :P

What's that walk you're talking about? Was it a hike? I love that....been taking daily 5 km hikes here in the environs of our place....aside from the energy boost it gives you, a hike is a great moment for some rumination, some contemplation hehehe...great for the mind and body...

No special walk pare!!! I just played a round of golf with some friends in Alabang yesterday. As they say, you always play 36-holes of golf -- 18-holes in the course, the other 18-holes reliving the 18-holes over your favorite drink. This time it was Johnny Walker.

No special walk pare!!! I just played a round of golf with some friends in Alabang yesterday.  As they say, you always play 36-holes of golf -- 18-holes in the course, the other 18-holes reliving the 18-holes over your favorite drink.  This time it was Johnny Walker.

thought you were talking about a hike :lol: papano pag 72-hole tournament - 18 holes of golf and then........... :lol:

well, what insights naman did Johnny give you about your 18-holes? :boo:

thought you were talking about a hike :lol: papano pag 72-hole tournament - 18 holes of golf and then........... :lol:

well, what insights naman did Johnny give you about your 18-holes? :boo:

Pare, there is an adage among golfers, no matter how you played or how many holes you play, you always look forward to the 19th hole. :boo:

Good to know that you have kept doing your walks. Pare, at our age, and all the drinking we do, we really need to walk!!!!!

Hv been drinking since '94. Fv is Cabernet S.a little Merlot. Started wid cheap wines and mvd up a bit. Tasted real great reds (for free), and anything in between. So, pretty know if wine is real crappy tasting. Wid Sideways, tried Pinot Noir from CX biz class selection - it was very good! I always buy french wine from small vinyards ~10 to 20 US$ fr6 duty free. :)

Bods and I had a "flash" eb last night and managed to invite a few thread regulars, Lipstick and Storm and Mrs. Storm, and Liberty (of course). My wife's cousin, a playwright and wine society member in Canberra, was with us too. We had a some bar chow, made special by the flavors of Omakase -- soft shell crab sushi, tofu beef roll, dynamite sushi.

Banrock Station 2003 White Shiraz South Eastern Australia

I had the same bottle last week and kept to my promise of opening another bottle when friends come for a visit. The tasting notes were confirmed by my wife's cousin as she sighted and tasted the "Pomelo". Bods said that the apple flavors were evident in the finish.

Vina Irache Tinto 2002 Navarra (Spanish) [bottle c/o my wife's cousin]

Visual was a light to mid ruby. Nose revealed cherries, vanilla, dark berries -- red currant and cinder. Body and finish was smooth but thin (as Bods described it). The body evolved as the wine breathed and reached its serving temperature. This wine holds a similar character to a tempranillo, which would be typical to Spanish reds.

Beaulieu Vineyards (BV) Coastal Estates 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon Private Cellars (California)

Deep purple visual with lush flavors of dark berries and currants (cousin); chocolate flavors were found by Lipstick. Velvety body and long balanced finish, with mild tannins (Bods1000).

We ended with some arteries' clogging creamy and rich ensaymada which Lipstick brought and similarly, mouth watering Go nuts Donuts courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Storm; washed down with JABLUM (jamaican blue mountain) coffee (which I finally got to serve and they drank! :lol: )

Another great evening of wines made even better by friends!!! :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by masi

Winemakers' notes:

VIÑA IRACHE Tinto

A young red wine of 12% proof made by means of coupage of tempranillo and garnacha. Ruby-coloured, it is bright and clean. With fruity aromas of open intensity, it is smooth, light and pleasant in the mouth. Bordeaux bottle. To be consumed on the short term.

Beaulieu Vineyard Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon

Dark ruby-violet color. This Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon promises much, and delivers more! The aromas suggest black and green peppercorn, with currant-mint and black tea overtones. Medium bodied, the aromas are echoed on the palate, and completed by hints of dark chocolate. Finishing with a light, velvety texture, this wine is very easy to drink.

Pleasure is mine (err but that in no way is an indication that I am not a giver... :lol:  )  Bahala ka kung gusto mo maging Philistine! :P  Kidding aside, you are "genteel" Bods ... totally.  And that's what makes up part of your charm. ;)

Like I mentioned earlier, we must get together soon for the sake of my sanity!  I am fast becoming an ermitanya!  Next thing you know eh baka maging taong bato na ako. :lol:

....and so we did, and I daresay you remain more of an enchantress than a hermit :) (now what's a female hermit?) Nice to see you again! Ako ang nagiging taong-bato when I see you - as in frozen like a stone, rooted to the spot and mostly speechless :lol: Hope you enjoyed the evening as the rest of us did....

cheers!

Winemakers' notes:

VIÑA IRACHE Tinto

A young red wine of 12% proof made by means of coupage of tempranillo and garnacha. Ruby-coloured, it is bright and clean. With fruity aromas of open intensity, it is smooth, light and pleasant in the mouth. Bordeaux bottle. To be consumed on the short term.

Beaulieu Vineyard Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon

Dark ruby-violet color. This Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon promises much, and delivers more! The aromas suggest black and green peppercorn, with currant-mint and black tea overtones. Medium bodied, the aromas are echoed on the palate, and completed by hints of dark chocolate. Finishing with a light, velvety texture, this wine is very easy to drink.

pare your namesake wine (the BV Coastal :P ) was really great - opulent to say the least! Now I know why you've been keeping it for so long hehehe...sniffing it reminds me a lot of my favorite shirazes!

pare your namesake wine (the BV Coastal :P ) was really great - opulent to say the least! Now I know why you've been keeping it for so long hehehe...sniffing it reminds me a lot of my favorite shirazes!

And if you liked the BV Coastal you'll love the BV Cabs from their Rutherford vines, right in the heart of Napa Valley! The best example of which is the BV Georges de la Tour Private Reserve. If yu can find a '99, buy it!! You won't be sorry.

And speaking of great cabs - I had dinner with my wife and daughter last night. Daughter's birthday dinner (a bit late - she's a Halloween baby) at a great steak house in Cupertino. Alexander's. Huge portions and really good beef! But for the wine, I dug out a '92 Retzlaff cab (100% cab - nothing blended in) from the Livermore Valley. One of Noah's wines before he broke off in '98 to start his own label (aptly called Noah's). Bold, smooth (tannins were well rounded and integrated). Still relatively young and vibrant with great fruit. Loads of black cherries. Plums (dare I say prunes? Not the dried kind but the fresh, ripe fruit). A bare hint of white pepper in the finish - which lasted a good 2 minutes! The good news is I have two more bottles of this stuff - I will set them down for another year, I think. But I have '90 - think that THAT will be like! These vines grow right next to the Concannon vines - I have no idea why Concannon can't produce a decent cab!!

I'm in the EVA lounge at the airport (SFO) right now waiting for my plane to Taiwan. Sorry, Bods and Masi, but I must be back here in Santa Clara for a Friday meeting so I cannot extend my trip to include Manila. However, I do have trips planned for December, January and February so one of those will work out! Till then, happy drinking!

And if you liked the BV Coastal you'll love the BV Cabs from their Rutherford vines, right in the heart of Napa Valley! The best example of which is the BV Georges de la Tour Private Reserve. If yu can find a '99, buy it!! You won't be sorry.

And speaking of great cabs - I had dinner with my wife and daughter last night. Daughter's birthday dinner (a bit late - she's a Halloween baby) at a great steak house in Cupertino. Alexander's. Huge portions and really good beef! But for the wine, I dug out a '92 Retzlaff cab (100% cab - nothing blended in) from the Livermore Valley. One of Noah's wines before he broke off in '98 to start his own label (aptly called Noah's). Bold, smooth (tannins were well rounded and integrated). Still relatively young and vibrant with great fruit. Loads of black cherries. Plums (dare I say prunes? Not the dried kind but the fresh, ripe fruit). A bare hint of white pepper in the finish - which lasted a good 2 minutes! The good news is I have two more bottles of this stuff - I will set them down for another year, I think. But I have '90 - think that THAT will be like! These vines grow right next to the Concannon vines - I have no idea why Concannon can't produce a decent cab!!

I'm in the EVA lounge at the airport (SFO) right now waiting for my plane to Taiwan. Sorry, Bods and Masi, but I must be back here in Santa Clara for a Friday meeting so I cannot extend my trip to include Manila. However, I do have trips planned for December, January and February so one of those will work out! Till then, happy drinking!

Have a good one, Agxo!!!