Traveling As A Passion

Guest YUM YUM

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys!

Disclaimer: I was hoping to ask for some help. I don't know if this is the right thread -- I'm sure the MODS will direct me or move this comment to the right spot.

I also love to travel for both pleasure and business (nothing beats traveling for free!). I am based in the US and get to go home every year or so.

Question: Does anybody have any recommendations regarding good, reliable travel agents in Manila/Makati/QC who can get good deals on travels to the US? My wife and I would be sponsoring trips for my inlaws and my parents to come visit us sometime soon...

Thank you very much folks!!!!

--

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ever heard of couch surfing?

Marami nagawa nito. they make friends online with people who'll let them stay with them for 2 days or so and let them stay or sleep sa couch nila. There are websites dedicated for these, People who allow their houses for couch surfers, pero syempre in return you'll also allow people to stay in yours. If you really want to see what a country is like its much better to do it outside a hotel room. Hardcore travelers really enjoy couch surfing kasi its lest them have better perspective of how people live and the personal interaction with a native is priceless... they could give you tips on how to navigate the city better or point you to a discovery not in the books :)

My whole life I have probably lived in hundreds of different places. I've always loved travelling - and there was a time in my life when I visited several continents and tens of different cities in just a period of 10 months. I've done several backpacking trips and even tried to do some vagabonding just to be able to say that I've done it. MY most cherished and the most wonderful and colorful moments of my life were the years I spent in Baja California, Mexico. This mexican state has the best pristine beaches in the world....from Playas de Tijuana (where I lived) to Rosarito, Ensenada, San Felipe (which is best visited during holy-week), Camalu, Guerrero Negro (the breeding area for Humpback whales in the pacific), Santa Rosalia, Loretto, Puerto San Carlos, La Paz (just an amazing wonder of Baja) and all the way to Cabo San Jose. These are the places that made me believe that LIFE is good and it really is what you make of it. I will always be a person who loves sunsets because of what i have experienced in these very beautiful places. I cant wait for the day that I will come back to visit these beaches one more time, perhaps take my future kids here to go fishing and camping...when I already have a family.

Paradise is here on earth, my friends!!!!

that's great john. do tell how you managed to visit mexico. medyo takot kasi ako dun with all the violence and besides hindi ba mahirap mag tourist dun?

Hi boss tomward, what a coincidence... i just spent some 30 minutes reading your page. i was gonna write a note to you a couple of hours ago but my gf (wife) wanted to watch a movie with me... so i thought i would do it tomorrow at the office. I wanted to tell u how sorry i am to hear about what happened to u during typhoon Ondoy. I didn t finish the entire story... u seem to have a good way with writing in crispy details the things that happen to u.

anyway, about mexico, i lived in san diego county, CA for several yrs. i went to college there. And since i was only a teenager when i started to live there, my friends and i would go to tijuana (avenida revolucion) to drink and have fun and pick up some dancers in the clubs there. I didnt need a visa actually, they dont even check your passport at the gate. they simply wave at you. If u have a philippine passport, i was told by immigration that u only need to apply and give the standard reqiurements and the tourist visa is almost automatic - you'll get it in 14 days. And about the violence part, yup its really very dangerous there if u go to the wrong places... which is exactly what i like doing!!!

Of course, the reasons why i decided to live in mexico for several yrs would be a whole book in itself...

Hi John. Things are probably different post 9-11. My sister went to mexico from Cali and they required a visa. Lalo na cguro ngayon with the drug wars and all. YOU should probably write your own section that's all about mexico. I'm sure a lot of US based people would love that :)

Here my contribution to this thread. I'm reposting what I posted on tips and tricks for Europe tour on a budget. Aside from couch surfing, the basic problem backpackers have is getting from point A to point B. If you are crazy enough you could ride the trains for free :) ticket inspections aren't so thorough :) I got caught once thought when I decided to ride a train that wasn't so full... I paid a 50 euro fine which is double the amount the ticket :)

I hope I could help.

I discourage extensive use of eurail pass. Its cheaper to fly on budjet airlines. (german wings is the cheapest I think) The difficulty with eurail pass is that there are only 2-3 cabins per car alloted to eurail users. More often than not you'd find yourself standing when traveling by rail. If in case you need to use rail opt for the "regionale" trains. there are 3 classes of trains: Euro, Regional and Intercity. If there is an available cross country "regional" train use it. To save on hotels travel at night and use the train as your bed.

Read ahead. There a lot of hostels there in Europe for Filipinos that are not advertised... they don't have signs and can only be booked in the Phils (to avoid paying taxes). They look like apartments pero hostel pala sila. Rates are Philippine rates for the stay and the staff are Filipino. It just makes everything easier. If you don't know how to find these places ask your priests... sila ang may mga connections sa ganitong places. Either that or join couch surfing communities.

If you want that european experience with a Philippine sized budget I suggest Czech Republic. Be careful though, capital ng pick pocketing itong lugar na ito. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. Everything here is priced like it is sa Pinas and the beer is super sarap.

Excellent suggestions, boss tomward. but i must tell u. I spend more money in the philippines than i did when i went to europe. its more expensive to stay in the philippines. just about the only cheap thing in the philippines is food. Even the hookers in europe are cheaper. hotel rooms can also be cheaper in europe if u know where to go and find them. I've never taken the trains though. i was alone on business trips when i went to vienna and germany. i got friends in the Czech Republic. I think i will follow ur advice when i take my gf to go backpacking.

Please tell us about "couch surfing". i only couch surfed in the states - but only with my relatives... hehehehe....

wag mo ako tawagin boss hahaha I think I am way younger than you are :) in both age and travel experiences. try to google "couch surfing" and you'll discover a different kind of traveler. You'll find the ones who go off the beaten path. It is for the adventurous and not for the faint of heart :) For more reference click here or just go to the biggest website dedicated for couch surfers here

For everyone's benefit I created a questionnaire, answer as candidly as you can. Let's share our stories... Let's get this thread moving.

1. what would you consider your favorite city? why?

2. Where did you have the best shopping experience?

3. Which place was the most culturally fulfilling for you?

4. Which place reminded you of your hometown?

5. Where are the most beautiful girls?

6. Where are the wildest parties? (details pls)

7. What is the cleanest?

8. What is the most eye opening experience you had?

9. What Lessons did you learn in your travels?

10. WHo has the nicest people?

11. What is your worst travel experience?

12. What was your worst cultural mistake?

13. Which item did you bring was the most helpful

14. Which city was the most dangerous?

15. Of the places you've visited, if given a chance and money isn't a concern, where would you want to live and why?

For everyone's benefit I created a questionnaire, answer as candidly as you can. Let's share our stories... Let's get this thread moving.

3. Which place was the most culturally fulfilling for you?

7. What is the cleanest?

9. What Lessons did you learn in your travels?

10. WHo has the nicest people?

11. What is your worst travel experience?

12. What was your worst cultural mistake?

13. Which item did you bring was the most helpful

14. Which city was the most dangerous?

15. Of the places you've visited, if given a chance and money isn't a concern, where would you want to live and why?

Interesting questions.. thanks to u tomward… u really made me think and dig deep into my head on these questions…..let’s see……

what would you consider your favorite city? why?

I can only talk about myself and the places I’ve visited so far (and I do have a long way more to go), My most favorite city of all is the precious jewel city of San Francisco, CA – for personal and for sentimental reasons. People say that the best city in the world is perhaps New York. I’ve never been to New York. But I couldn’t imagine a place that can be better than the city that gives you the sight and beauty of the Golden Gate bridge from afar. The sight of the skyline of this city from the right side of your car as you get into the longest bridge you have ever seen, the Bay Bridge, gives you a unique feeling of magnificence and grandeur. And when you get to the city, you can easily lose yourself for weeks trying to visit all the nice & beautiful places this city has to offer.

Where did you have the best shopping experience?

Well, it was long time ago on my first trip to Hongkong. This is the place that has it all, my friends! No question about it. The other cities would have been comparable to Hongkong, if they weren’t all too expensive!!! The choices of everything in this place and the low prices makes this place paradise for the shopaholics (like my gf)!

Which place was the most culturally fulfilling for you?

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico – no doubt. This city is one of the most visited cities in the world – and the main reason for this is the cultural experience, which is immediately obvious as soon as u cross the border – you enter a completely different world full beautiful Mexican cultural dancers, unique dresses, romantic music of mariachi bands serenading you as you eat your lunch, and the sound of manianitas music when u wake up in the morning. This city knows how to treat their tourists….. makes u wanna come back again & again.

Which place reminded you of your hometown?

Well, I came from a small town which is only minutes away from Olongapo City. In Olongapo, there was a street full of bars and clubs – hundreds of them, when I was a child. When I went to Thailand, I went to this city called Pattaya. There is this one street by the beach, I cant remember the name, but this street and the people around and the shores nearby and even the dirty neighborhood all around it and all the women in the clubs, reminded me so much of my hometown. The fact that Thais look so much like Filipinos kindda helped make u feel like you’re just back home.

Where are the most beautiful girls?

This is a really hard one – simply because to me “they are all beautiful”! But if I have to choose one among all these places? It would have to be the streets of PERTH, Australia – the friendly women in the clubs and discos there are just amazing. I think it’s because I only went to the clubs there. And all of them seem to be having so much fun and their friendly faces made them look so much prettier than they really were. And of course, the next one on my list is definitely “THE WOMEN IN MEXICO”!

Where are the wildest parties? (details pls)

Etoh, para sakin ang pinakamahirap sagutin pareng tomward!!! Ang hirap ng ginagawa mo sakin dito bro.. you really made look back to my dirty past… hehehehe. Okay… try to imagine na lang ha. Imagine u r in a place… and this place is packed with women of various nationalities like Mexicans, Americans, Venezuelans, Peruvians & Guatemalans – all dancin and laughin and havin fun…. Right???? They are all over u and ur friends… and the only reason that they’re there is to make sure that you n ur friends have the time of ur life. All around u, u see a buffet of everything… all kinds of food, all kinds of drinks, tequila, presidente brandy, jack daniels… all kinds of women and all kinds of drugs to fuel you all night and the girls to serve them to u and the best sounds playin all night long! The nights are never long enough…. bcoz come 6 or 7 o’clock in the morning and u’ve only screwed 2 or 3 of the women in the house… and loud music and dancing hasn’t stopped… people passed out all around u and naked women sleeping on the couch… some r still smoking weed and others are snorting ‘coke’ up their nose with 100dollar bills rolled-up like straws…. This kind of thing goes on until 4pm and u retire to a room to get 3 hrs of sleep and the whole thing starts all over again. And this goes on for days and days on end without rest… This place is a “city within a city”.. and it’s right there in Mexico – the home of spudz mckenzie and all the other party animals after him! And I bet u a million dollars that u will never ever guess where this place is!!!

What is the cleanest?

The cleanest is definitely Vienna – especially the city center. I guess its because the two times that I had the opportunity to go there, both dates fell during their winter season.. and the whole city is covered with snow. If there was dirt… I certainly didn’t see it underneath all the snow!

- - - - - - - - -

Well… etoh na lang muna my friends… gotta do something… next time na lang yung iba…..I hope we get a lot of answers on these questions coz I think that if u love to travel, u gotta answer these questions sooner or later in ur life!!! Let’s get this thread moving… ikaw tomward…. Di mo pa binibigay yung mga sagot mo ha….. dapat pala nauna ka na muna anoh???? Cheeeeeerrrsss……..

nice discussion you two have going here. pls allow me to join on in the fun.

i'll try to answer some of the guidelines you've offered little by little, tom. two things caught my attention.

worst cultural mistake was when i asked if a dish on display was made out pork in kuala lumpur. i won't forget the glare the food attendant showed me. :D

worst travel experience hands down, would be having my wife's purse stolen on our last day of a hong kong holiday by a group of mainland chinese men. the worst part of the experience was my wife's passport was inside her purse. good thing the people at the hk consulate immediately helped us given our predicament (didn't want to stay another day. too much logistical problems, financial, too).

will try to anwer others some other time. but i must say, anwering #1 is going to be tough.

cheers.

YOU don't have to answer it all in one go my friends... you could choose to ignore some if you don't want... what's important here are the stories :)

I'll try and answer the first 3:

Vienna, is my favorite city. I wouldn't get lost here. I've been here 4 times and every time it was amazing. I never run out of things to do. I really like it because it is clean, orderly and people speak english. It is a treat for the eyes, and almost all the tourist sites are in one place makes it a tourist haven. (take the O tram - every stop there is a tourist site) I Really love its history and tradition and for a classical musician, this is mecca. Where else can you find street singers singing opera that rivals the best singers we have here. If you are looking for a "european" experience, Vienna is a great way to start.

Honestly, I would have to say Hong Kong. Although stuff is cheaper in Shenzen the bargains for branded products are better in Hong Kong. Its not only the shopping but the vibe of the city that makes you want to buy buy and buy. This is a street foodies heaven. I'd sneak out of my hotel at midnight just to eat street food.

3. Which place was the most culturally fulfilling for you

Rome is the most culturally fulfilling for me. I'm not catholic but the churches impressed me so much. I was awed by the vatican. I actually got to attend 2 masses by 2 different popes (Pope John Paul and the new one). My favorite spots there were the fontana di trevi, (and yes I threw coins... it came true nakabalik ako sa rome thrice), Pantheon, Colloseo, Foro Romano, ST JOhn The lateran church, Sta Maria Maggiore Church, Spanish Steps and so many...

I was actually privileged to see a room under one of the Filipino churches in Rome. This isn't open for tourists and only the church has access here. Because we performed for the church they allowed us to see the room where St. Paul stayed when he was in rome. It was a significant moment for me.

One funny story about rome was that we were hosted by a Filipino Cook, who cooks for the prince of Venice. He told us since the Villa is so big, we could stay there without the prince noticing it. Since we were only gonna stay there a few days and we just needed a place to leave our bags we agreed to the hosting situation. He told us leave early and come late. WE arrived about midnight and was hungry ( the cook usually leaves food for us at the table for servants). we were happily eating when a door opened and the prince saw us... we were shocked and so was he. he asked us, "what are you doing in my house? " We told him who we were and he said, "why didn't you tell the cook you are his guests, I could have put you up in our guest rooms." He was such a nice old man. He threw us a party before we left. That was some of the best italian food and wines I ever tasted.

wow... i enjoyed reading your last post, tomward. i'd really love to know more about ur experiences in rome. it's a dream for me to be able to visit that city at least once in my lifetime. please tell us more about ur experiences there.

anyway, i will answer another question:

It didn’t take me a lot of thinking to dig-up the answer to this question. The most eye opening experience I had during my travels was actually the trip which I thought was going to be one of the most exciting adventure of my life: My trip to the Philippines, the eye-opener happened in 2001.

As a young network engineer, I took a job for one of my friends who happened to have a friend working for the Office of the President. The mission of the National Crime Information System project of then president Joseph Estrada was to create a national central database of criminal records and unite all agencies of the department of justice under a single umbrella to provide instant access to this database. Anyway, to make a long story short, after billions and billions of pesos was spent on this project, JE was unfortunately ousted and the new president, GMA somehow stopped all the funding for the project, without any consideration to the amount already spent by the outgoing administration. Hundreds of computers that were supposed to be rolled out nationally perhaps ended up in someone’s personal ‘warehouse’ and billions worth of manpower and services inadvertently turned into just a wasted effort. Never heard anything after that, not from the media, not from anywhere! It’s an EYE-OPENER for me. It made me realize that I’m probably never going to see in my lifetime a fully developed Philippines, run by a good government that is completely accountable to the people. After a little over a year, I left the country with a lot of mixed emotions, wondering if i would ever decide to come back to spend more than just a couple of months in my own country!!!

Back to answering some of the questions:

Honestly, It would have to be LA. everywhere you looked may Filipino. I stayed in San Fernando valley and dun para talagang pinas they even have a supermarket that has Filipino goods. Island Pacific ata name nung place. They have jollibee there and chowking. You have goldilocks there. And the architecture isn't so foreign unlike the ones seen in europe where building follow a code (you should follow a certain block's architecture and color scheme). There halo halo like sa pinas.

I could say italians have the prettiest girls hands down. The french would have to be the most fashionable for me. They carry themselves with a certain grace and flair. Italians on the other hand have the prettiest faces and they are not afraid to flaunt their bodies. Wag mo lang amuyin :) they have body odor. Italian beauties are 2 types, the blonder ones from the north and the arabic looking ones from the south. I have a personal preference for the Calabrese/southern beauties of italy. They look so angelic. I once went into a disco na ang mga babae parang kamukha lahat ni catherine zeta jones... di rin ako nakatagal :) the disco smelled like a thousand horses were inside.

Croatians are also very pretty and they don't mind taking their clothes off. Nakasabay namin sila sa hostel and these girls were taking a bath with their doors open even the bathroom door. I was shocked to see them walking nude sa corridors.

I'm not much of a party goer when I am abroad. Im pretty sure the scene in amsterdam would be great because the guys there have no inhibition. I saw a guy there taking a crap in the middle of the street and no one seemed to mind. YOu can pretty much get stoned there legally :) (that's another story) One party of note that I went to was a party in czech republik. There were a lot of russians there, where there's russians there is vodka!! our russian friends actually invited us to this party. We havent even gotten to the party and these guys were nearly drunk already. When we got there they were serving absinthe.. that + vodka = wildness... I stayed sober because may bantay ako :) but my friends got themselves some action with the girls.

still can't answer #1. :D

i must admit, i don't make a conscious effort to look at girls when i'm abroad except when my travel is to a neighboring south east asian country. i tend to compare the women from our neighboring countries to our own female kababayans. and my humble observation? thailand is tops along with our very own pinays. :) i have a suspicion though that the vietnamese will give our local lasses and the thais a run for their money.

european chics (i hope i don't giveaway my age by using this term) didn't really give me a stiff neck. but if i had to pick one out of the limited number of european countries i've been to, i'd have to go with the germans. my pick has nothing to do with how pretty they are (and a good percentage of them are indeed beautiful), but it rather has to do with how immaculate their skin is. pair that flawless, taut white skin with blonde hair and whalaa...

back to europe, i suspect that, like what vietnamese girls are to s.e.a., spanish women are the most beautiful in the old continent. i just hope i get the opportunity to confirm or debunk this impression in the (near) future.

while rating women from a country as a whole is a tough recall (at least it is for me), i vividly remember the prettiest woman i have ever seen in my travels. and she is australian. getting ready for our flight back home from sydney, we chanced upon a photo shoot going on at one of the duty free shops at the airport. and the model for that photoshoot that has got to be the second most beautiful woman i've ever seen with my very own eyes (first siyempre si misis). right before i turned my head away from her (sumasakit na eh), she looked at my direction and our eyes locked. and until now, i cannot forget those bluish-greys. can you hear the sigh i'm making as i write this? :D

next time.

Edited by kanski

I'll answer another question...

10. Who has the nicest people?

I’ll skip #9 for now and go straight to this question. Geographically speaking, the nicest people are all over the world. And compared to downtown SF and LA in the states (where practically no one makes eye-contact with you), I’d say that nice people are everywhere. But if I have to pick out a certain group of really kind and wonderful people (based on their culture), I think I’ll have to choose between Hawaii and the city of Culiacan in Sinaloa. Hawaiians are a diverse group of laid-back people, and because of the island-life setting, people tend to be very relaxed, generous, kind and more willing to be helpful to strangers. I remember being at the big island for the first time and my friend and I decided to rent a car to get around, we stopped to ask one of the locals how to get to the cultural center, and this guy not only showed us how to get there – but jumped in our car, took us to the cultural center and VOLUNTEERED to be our photographer while we were there! That same night, we ended up staying at his family’s house to spend the night and had a little taste of Hawaiian hospitality. Just wonderful people!!!

The other city that I love because of its nice people is Culiacan, Sinaloa. People here are generally not very friendly to strangers. But I particularly had a different experience here. The people that I visited here have a unique and wonderful way of receiving visitors like myself. They went out of their way to make sure that they cooked the most delicious local foods for me. They threw parties every night and invited most of their relatives and friends so that they can properly introduce them to me and they would even offer to have their beautiful sisters or daughters take me out in the city to have fun. People here are the most warm-hearted people I ever met in my life. I never had a boring moment here. I was supposed to stay only for several days, but because of their kindness, I ENDED UP STAYING FOR MORE THAN 2 MONTHS. I had a culture shock when I returned home!!!

i must admit, i don't make a conscious effort to look at girls when i'm abroad except when my travel is to a neighboring south east asian country. i tend to compare the women from our neighboring countries to our own female kababayans. and my humble observation? thailand is tops along with our very own pinays. :) i have a suspicion though that the vietnamese will give our local lasses and the thais a run for their money.

european chics (i hope i don't giveaway my age by using this term) didn't really give me a stiff neck. but if i had to pick one out of the limited number of european countries i've been to, i'd have to go with the germans. my pick has nothing to do with how pretty they are (and a good percentage of them are indeed beautiful), but it rather has to do with how immaculate their skin is. pair that flawless, taut white skin with blonde hair and whalaa...

back to europe, i suspect that, like what vietnamese girls are to s.e.a., spanish women are the most beautiful in the old continent. i just hope i get the opportunity to confirm or debunk this impression in the (near) future.

can you hear the sigh i'm making as i write this? :D

next time.

Hahaha I could hear you sighing from here :) Interesting about south east asian women. I've had a vietnamese teacher in elementary and she was a knock out!!! For me I find Burmese women the prettiest especially those from the Karin tribe :) I had burmese classmates and they were soooo yummy. Mas conservative nga lang sila sa atin kaya no go hahaha. Pero iba pa rin ang tama ng pinay sa akin :) Love your own :)