Traveling As A Passion

Guest YUM YUM

What is it about travelling that makes you spend bucket loads of cash, makes you broke, and will probably get you tired to do anything once you've come back? And for someone like myself who doesn't travel for business, who does it simply for the pleasure of it, and makes a living here in the islands earning much devaluated pesos, that's saying a lot. And yet I can't wait for my next adventure.

Last summer saw my family hopping around Europe for four whole weeks. Friends and family wondered about the saneness of our decision to go considering that we had a four year old son who probably won't remember details of this trip when he grows up (my nine year old daughter doesn't remember anything about our trip to... when she was four) and who probably won't appreciate any of the places we have been to (well probably except Euro Disney and Legoland). And yet off we trodded.

Now the house is in disrepair and is in dire need of refurbishing. Plus I'm late in paying our bills. And all I could think of is bringing the family to... in three years. I think I'm sick. Been bitten by the travel bug.

What is it about travelling that makes you spend bucket loads of cash, makes you broke, and will probably get you tired to do anything once you've come back? And for someone like myself who doesn't travel for business, who does it simply for the pleasure of it, and makes a living here in the islands earning much devaluated pesos, that's saying a lot. And yet I can't wait for my next adventure.

Last summer saw my family hopping around Europe for four whole weeks. Friends and family wondered about the saneness of our decision to go considering that we had a four year old son who probably won't remember details of this trip when he grows up (my nine year old daughter doesn't remember anything about our trip to... when she was four) and who probably won't appreciate any of the places we have been to (well probably except Euro Disney and Legoland). And yet off we trodded.

Now the house is in disrepair and is in dire need of refurbishing. Plus I'm late in paying our bills. And all I could think of is bringing the family to... in three years. I think I'm sick. Been bitten by the travel bug.

That is something my wife and I have been debating for so many years. At what age would children actually appreciate Europe? Well, devaluation has overtaken our never ending debate and it's become moot and academic. In other words, can't afford it na.

But back to my query? I woould think 15 is old enough.

Travelling to see different places is a great experience. You see different cultures, different people and get to try food that is native to the place. But in almost all foreign travel you always get o see a familiar face of a Kababayan.

You get to travel as part of your job is a great way to seeing the world. You save on the cost of the trip and the hotel. Just wish the schedule of a business trip was not so tight. Not much leisure time.

That is something my wife and I have been debating for so many years. At what age would children actually appreciate Europe? Well, devaluation has overtaken our never ending debate and it's become moot and academic. In other words, can't afford it na.

We brought our 2 1/2 year-old niece on a Mediterranean cruise in 2004. She loved it and until now, the little one can still recall the places she's been to (pictures help, of course). Such a joy having kids along on these kinds of trips. I think her lolo and lola (the 'rents) will be bringing her (and her new and now-year-old baby-sister) to North Africa for another cruise again next year.

Bring your kids whenever you can. To travel with family is one of the best ways to spend hard-earned money.

I hope you get to go, sliderule. Good luck.

We brought our 2 1/2 year-old niece on a Mediterranean cruise in 2004. She loved it and until now, the little one can still recall the places she's been to (pictures help, of course). Such a joy having kids along on these kinds of trips. I think her lolo and lola (the 'rents) will be bringing her (and her new and now-year-old baby-sister) to North Africa for another cruise again next year.

Bring your kids whenever you can. To travel with family is one of the best ways to spend hard-earned money.

I hope you get to go, sliderule. Good luck.

Podweed, I couldn't agree with you more. Actually we've been bringing our kid with us to HKG since he was an infant. It's our once-a-year extravagance and it really makes it worthwhile. I once gave my wife my mileage points so she could join me in one of my Biz trips - just the 2 of us. It's just not the same.

But....Europe is a different matter in terms of cost and itenerary. I'm just not sure if a new teenager would get bored with all those churches, castles and other sites Europe is known for. My wife would very much enjoy a religious pilgrimage so Lourdes and the Vatican would be a shoo-in. But for a 14-year old? He says he would enjoy it, but maybe it's just the idea of travelling that appeals to him and not the substance of the destination. Sayang kasi if he just shrugs it off.

North Africa - that sounds very interesting. Wouldn't it be roughly the same geography as the Mediterranean? I haven't been to a cruise yet but I hear that food is free-flowing. hehehe

I've been dreaming of a cruise that goes through those fjords (can't remember what country). Or an Alaskan cruise.

To all you guys out there, I would suggest for you to visit this small island facing the Pacific Ocean. I highly recommend this place and it has white sand beaches even comparable to that of Boracay. IN my own opionion, the beaches in Catanduabes are far better than the number one, Boracay.

So all you guys out there, I got some few details about this land of the howling winds, Catanduanes. So read on......

Catanduanes - Eco-adventure Paradise

Brief Description

Catanduanes, “An Eco-Adventure Paradise,” is for those who love nature at its best. The whole strip of this pearly island of the Pacific is virtually untouched, unspoiled, and unexplored. It has a long string of palm-fringed beaches backed by jungle-covered mountains and crowned with jewel-like islets. It offers a totally laid-back rural charm, a beautiful natural environment and plenty of easy action at a pace that is always relaxed. The local folks have always preferred a relaxed rural village life. They seem to be disinterested in accelerated development or any head-long rush into the modern world. As a result, the tourism industry is still in its early stages. But if you are interested in outdoor pursuits, an easy lifestyle among warm and friendly people and a general escape from the frantic pace of urban life, Catanduanes is the perfect hideaway. It is a place where you could go back to simplicity and revel in the absence of man-made preoccupations and self-made entrapments; a total escape, they say.

Come, experience and enjoy the richness and wonders of nature in Catanduanes Island, Philippines!

Geography

Lies in the easternmost part of the Bicol peninsula, separated from the mainland Bicol by the Maqueda Channel and the Lagonoy Gulf. It is the first land mass of the Philippine archipelago to kiss the Pacific Ocean, making it directly open to the path of tropical cyclones, hence the appellation, “The Land of the Howling Winds.”

Political Subdivisions

Composed of 11 municipalities, namely: Virac, San Andres, Caramoran, Pandan, Bato, Gigmoto, Baras, Panganiban, Bagamanoc, Viga, and San Miguel. There are 315 barangays all over the province and one Congressional district.

Population

Total population of 215, 356 as of 2002 (Source: NSO).

Language/Dialect

Bicol is the native tongue but with different nuances and variations, especially when one goes up to the northern towns like Pandan, Caramoran, and Panganiban. English and Tagalog are commonly spoken and understood.

Climate

The best time of the year to visit Catanduanes is from the months of March to August when the weather turns dry. It is coolest and rainiest from October to the early part of January, hottest from March to May.

Major Industries

Abaca and lasa abound in the whole province. Native products made of abaca fiber like bags, lamps, utility boxes, handmade paper, among others, adorn the local souvenir shops and serve as local “pasalubong” and souvenirs. Lately, the indigenous abaca fiber, commonly called “pinukpok,” produced and woven by the locals of Baras, Catanduanes, has now found its niche in the local and international fashion industry. This indigenous fabric has shown its versatility in the globally appealing designs and creations of famous fashion designer Dita Sandico-Ong.

**** U GOTTA VISIT CATANDUANES BEFORE YOU START EXPLORING OTHER COUNTRIES****

Podweed, I couldn't agree with you more. Actually we've been bringing our kid with us to HKG since he was an infant. It's our once-a-year extravagance and it really makes it worthwhile. I once gave my wife my mileage points so she could join me in one of my Biz trips - just the 2 of us. It's just not the same.

But....Europe is a different matter in terms of cost and itenerary. I'm just not sure if a new teenager would get bored with all those churches, castles and other sites Europe is known for. My wife would very much enjoy a religious pilgrimage so Lourdes and the Vatican would be a shoo-in. But for a 14-year old? He says he would enjoy it, but maybe it's just the idea of travelling that appeals to him and not the substance of the destination. Sayang kasi if he just shrugs it off.

North Africa - that sounds very interesting. Wouldn't it be roughly the same geography as the Mediterranean? I haven't been to a cruise yet but I hear that food is free-flowing. hehehe

I've been dreaming of a cruise that goes through those fjords (can't remember what country). Or an Alaskan cruise.

Your 14 year-old should appreciate Europe (I am hoping). How can he not? North America (or Hong Kong), I can understand if he's, perhaps, just itching to go shopping or what-not, but not the Old World with its rich history, ultra-modern cities, and cultural diversity. It'll be the experience of a lifetime. Teach the boy, sliderule.

I haven't been to North Africa. Yes, geography and climate are Mediterranean (same basin). I will go one day. For the moment, it's time to work, work, work, and save, save, save. In a few years, God-willing.

When my family goes, I will be them in spirit. Am paying for my two nieces' airfares. Their cruise accommodations are free (because of their ages). I want them to experience it. My eldest niece is quite the jet-setter already. At 2 1/2, (she's now four) she's been on two cruises and to many places in Southeast Asia, Europe, the U.S., and Mexico.

Food is absolutely free on a liner. Order anything and everything you can eat. Monopolize room service if you like. Hehe. You only pay for drinks. That's it.

Fjords are in Scandinavia. Norway is a popular destination if you want to see those fantastic coastlines.

My sister's been on one.

I really would like to go to Jerusalem. Ahhh, now to make a pilgrimage to the Holy Land is my dream.

Good luck again, buddy.

While back reading, I noticed a lot of 'road warriors' in this thread, i.e., people whose work entails travel.

Sorry if this sounds OT, but I would just like to compare notes: What do you bring on your short (I mean just a few days) biz trips?

I always bring my Dell Latitude laptop, a digital voice recorder, a voice recognition microphone/headset, a smartphone, a small digital camera, an assortment of pens, markers, post its and my calendar book.

To pass the time on long flights, a small paperback, a DVD movie (dapat genuine, delikado pirated copies) and my iPod.

On my wishlist are noise-cancellation headphones (too pricey for me) and a lighter tablet notebook (again too mahal).

All of it are packed snugly in my Samsonite notebook bag that's small enough as carry-on.

Guest Xfilemanx2001

Hello Ladies and Bros,

Any suggestions on what to see and do in Beijing? I will be there early Dec for a 4-day business trip. First-timer. Been to Shanghai; I know these two cities are completely different.

Thanks!

I remember a cousin in particular sneering at me once we came back from our trip from the old continent. He snapped: "nag-enjoy ba si...(my four year-old) sa Europe?" It was like he was sarcastic and probably found the fact that we travel regularly as arrogant.

I just answered that we thought he did. And more importantly, me and my wife enjoyed every moment of the trip spent with our him. Priceless! Discovering new places, meeting new friends, enjoying new experiences with your wife and kids. The memory will be with you forever.

The reason why travelling is a passion has got to be past experiences. Some of my happiest moments were travelling with my family when I was myself a kid. (Come to think of it, I do remember every trip we had made. Including my first one when I was nine years old. So there goes your answer!) Now that I myself am a parent, I am just doing what my parents have done when I was younger.

So don't make your kid's age be a hindrance for you to travel. I'm sure you'll have a memorable time together.

I

I remember a cousin in particular sneering at me once we came back from our trip from the old continent. He snapped: "nag-enjoy ba si...(my four year-old) sa Europe?" It was like he was sarcastic and probably found the fact that we travel regularly as arrogant.

I just answered that we thought he did. And more importantly, me and my wife enjoyed every moment of the trip spent with our him. Priceless! Discovering new places, meeting new friends, enjoying new experiences with your wife and kids. The memory will be with you forever.

The reason why travelling is a passion has got to be past experiences. Some of my happiest moments were travelling with my family when I was myself a kid. (Come to think of it, I do remember every trip we had made. Including my first one when I was nine years old.  So there goes your answer!) Now that I myself am a parent, I am just doing what my parents have done when I was younger.

So don't make your kid's age be a hindrance for you to travel. I'm sure you'll have a memorable time together.

I

Thanks for your heartening comments. One thing I can add is that it may be a good idea to do it now while he (my kid) still hasn't reached the "I want my own space" stage in adolescence where they become aloof and distant.

Cheers.

I've been flying out of the country at least two times a month for more than a year now within Asia because of work. I am thankful for the fact that my trips are mostly confined in the region for two reasons: 1) I don't have to deal with jet lag at all. 2) Asia is so vibrant and very familiar that I don't get too homesick.

I've been to Europe several times but I would never ever trade travelling to Asia with going to the Far West. Also, Asia is more happening. Europe is too sleepy for me. (I love the old structures though.) Moreover, Asians are more hospitable, more warm than Europeans. This is already evident in Asian airlines and hotels. Try European ran airlines and you would know what I mean.

My tip to those travelling a lot or who wishes to have a job that involves living in a suitcase: make friends with locals (other than your colleagues) so you would have somebody to go out with at the end of each stressful day at work. Or try to look for Filipinos working in the hotel you are staying. Chances are there would be at least one. Just like you, they would be glad to have a "kababayan" to speak with using the native tongue.

• 2 months later...

Okay, it took a while to find this thread again.

It's been a long time so maybe an entry to bump.

Anyways, from my last post...I think it was September 2005...I had already booked my vacation to Japan and the Philippines for end of Nov. 2005.

Well, here's the trip report...yeah late... :blush:

Japan

The first leg of the trip was to Japan. This time around, unlike the year before, I managed to book a hotel in "Tokyo" instead of Narita. It was actually in Ikebukuro (The Crowne Plaza). It's a nice hotel and next to the Ikebukuro JR Train station. Very convenient especially since I was travelling with a large suitcase and that the JR Narita Express' last stop is there.

Here's a tip: The Narita Express from the Airport cost about $45 (Green Car, reserved seating) one way from the Airport. What's good is that since it from the Airport, there is actually room at each end of the railcar for luggage. Most local and subways train won't have them. If you have a JR Rail Pass, you have access to all JR Rail system Train, subways, and buses. JR Rail Passes cost approx. $350 (for a seven day pass) and must be bought outside of Japan.

The first few days we went around Tokyo to visit the usual place...Akihabara, Shibuya, Shinjuko.

Another Tip: For eating, if you don't want to deal with the hassle of language barriers, find the "fast food" places...no not McDonalds, etc...but the little places that have something that looks like a ticket vending machine at the door. It's cool, since they have pictures of the food then you just put your money in and it give out a ticket. You sit at the counter, give the ticket to the server, then a few minutes later he gives you your order. Neat. Oh and most little places that serve "wet food" like curry over rice, or omelet over rice will server the meal with a fork instead of chopstick...a tip for those who have problems with chopsticks. Noodle shops will only have chopsticks though.

Another Tip: For eating also, most eateries in Japan have these plastic replicas of the food they serve in the front window. Look at them carefully since most of them will have the "set number." Once you've decided then go in and just tell the server which "seto numbah" meal you wanted.

Okay, on to the rest of the story...

I went on a side trip (overnight) to Kyoto. I spent a night at the Westin Miyako Hotel. Definitely nice. I got upgraded for some reason, to a suite. We did the usual sight seeing in Kyoto. Oh yeah, it happened to coincide with Pres. Bush's trip to Kyoto, Japan also so security and police were out in force.

Ahhh...the bullet train....why can't we have them in the U.S. or the Philippines....it's sad.

Okay, so after a few days in Tokyo, I moved over to Yokohama. Here's the complication, as I mentioned before, most local trains and subway do not have space for luggage. So, since we had JR Rail passes, we just took the Narita Express back to the Airport, then turned around got back on the Narita Express headed to Yokohama. Hah! Narita Express will either go to Ikebukuro as it's last stop, or it will go to Yokohama as it's last stop. The only thing was the time to do the round-trip...it was a total of about 2.5 hours. Still not a problem.

Well, what can I say about Yokohama....I like it! It's really more compact than Tokyo (of course, it is just on the outskirts of "Tokyo"). I booked into the Sheraton Yokohama (once again, right next to the JR Rail Station). Got upgraded again to a really nice room overlooking the entrance of the Rail Station and the Bay.

Yokohama is nice since the major department stores are built around the Rail Station and there an underground mall complex there too. From there, you can take the subway to the Minato Mirai area where the Landmark Tower is at (70 floor, with an observation floor at the 69th). Really neat. There also the Cosmo World around the Landmark Tower and the park.

Then from there hop on to the subway again to go to the Yokohama Chinatown and the Yamashita Park. Chinatown was really crowded but really clean too. Not like the Chinatown's in other cities in the world (well...except for Singapore, which is basically a big clean Chinatown). I had some really tasty siopao there.....sarap!

The Philippines:

Well, from Japan, we flew to the Phillipines for a 4 day visit. As usual, I booked into the Intercontinental in Makati. The friend travelling with me went off to see his Aunt and cousins. This was his first visit to the Philippines after 20 years. He was paranoid about all the "mandurukot" ha ha. I told him about his paranoia. He was also concerned about all the diseases like meningitis an dengue fever.....It was amusing. I didn't get to do much since it was a very short stay, only for my friend's benefit since he hadn't been to the Philippines for a while. I went out to dinners with friends and family. Had a dinner date over at the Red Crab in Tomas Morato.....really yummy crabs....very messy too.

Well, that's my trip report. All cost of hotels and air was paid for by frequent flier points and hotel guest points. So cost to me was free, other than JR Rail Pass, spending money, and food. Yey!

For picts: My Webpage

My next vacation trip is this coming Mar/Apr.....a 2 week vacation in the Philippines. Hmmm....I know I'll be going to Dumaguete and maybe Cebu sometime during the 2 week vacation.

initially, i should say i love to travel either by land, air or water - by land gusto ko kahit anong layo ako ang nagdadrive - at hindi ako natutulog - as i go along, gumagawa ako ng sarili kong mapa - complete with kilometer/miles reading, landmarks - also i keep tab na let's say - papunta ako ng cagayan - particular ako sa mga different routs - say - dito pala sa kantong ito may daan papuntang baguio or wherever - take note ko rin yung mga stop-overs and places of interests na nararaanan ko - like good eateries, resorts, gas stations (distance from one to another), bilihan ng pasalubong, delicacies in the place and other potpourri

While back reading, I noticed a lot of 'road warriors' in this thread, i.e., people whose work entails travel.

Sorry if this sounds OT, but I would just like to compare notes: What do you bring on your short (I mean just a few days) biz trips?

I always bring my Dell Latitude laptop, a digital voice recorder, a voice recognition microphone/headset, a smartphone, a small digital camera, an assortment of pens, markers, post its and my calendar book.

To pass the time on long flights, a small paperback, a DVD movie (dapat genuine, delikado pirated copies) and my iPod.

On my wishlist are noise-cancellation headphones (too pricey for me) and a lighter tablet notebook (again too mahal).

All of it are packed snugly in my Samsonite notebook bag that's small enough as carry-on.

Just got back on this thread - bu this caught my eye since I'm on a plane to Taiwan on the average every 6 weeks (recently it's been once a month).

Going from SFO to CKS is pretty convenient if you take the direct flights (EVA or China Air) - the midnight flight is great. Get on, go to sleep, wake up at 6 am ready to go! On the return, the 7:50pm flight is also great - get on, eat dinner, crash, get to SFO just in time for afternoon merienda. If I take the 11:30 pm flight then it's get on, crash, get home in time for dinner.

So what do I take with me? Laptop/charger/USB mouse (I hate the touchpad)/wireless card/USB drive (great for exchanging files), notebook for work+pens, etc, phone/charger (I have a SIM card for each country I visit regularly, and one for my local SF-area service as well), iPod/external battery (between internal and external batteries I can go over 16 hours)/noise-cancelling headphones (found a pair while waiting for a flight in Narita airport - US$90), book to read if I can't sleep on the plane.

I tend to travel light - one small roll-on and a shoulder bag big enough for all I listed above. No matter if I'm gone 5 days (recently my minimum trip duration) or 2 weeks (that's my absolute max!). And I don't check anything in if I can help it. More than once, EVA's tried to coerce me into checking in my roll-around. So far I've won each battle.

For me I'm normally out on the road Monday - Friday.

On the road, I normally have at least one piece of luggage with enough workclothes for the week, my toolbox (yeah about 50lbs of it), both check-in and then of course my laptop, which I carry-on.

As for entertainment at the airport, I just buy a magazine, put on my mp3 player, and drift off to sleep in the plane until I get to my destination.

Lately though, I have been bringing a 5Gb mini drive containing TV shows I downloaded to watch on my laptop. Of course since my batteries are old and weak, I can't watch too long.

:blush:

Just got back on this thread - bu this caught my eye since I'm on a plane to Taiwan on the average every 6 weeks (recently it's been once a month).

Going from SFO to CKS is pretty convenient if you take the direct flights (EVA or China Air) - the midnight flight is great. Get on, go to sleep, wake up at 6 am ready to go! On the return, the 7:50pm flight is also great - get on, eat dinner, crash, get to SFO just in time for afternoon merienda. If I take the 11:30 pm flight then it's get on, crash, get home in time for dinner.

So what do I take with me? Laptop/charger/USB mouse (I hate the touchpad)/wireless card/USB drive (great for exchanging files), notebook for work+pens, etc, phone/charger (I have a SIM card for each country I visit regularly, and one for my local SF-area service as well), iPod/external battery (between internal and external batteries I can go over 16 hours)/noise-cancelling headphones (found a pair while waiting for a flight in Narita airport - US$90), book to read if I can't sleep on the plane.

I tend to travel light - one small roll-on and a shoulder bag big enough for all I listed above. No matter if I'm gone 5 days (recently my minimum trip duration) or 2 weeks (that's my absolute max!). And I don't check anything in if I can help it. More than once, EVA's tried to coerce me into checking in my roll-around. So far I've won each battle.

Finally, a fellow road warrior!

Yeah I hate the touchpad too. Do you know if a wireless mouse will cause radio interference in an airborne plane?

I read about this all purpose bag that can actually charge your laptop. Don't ask me how, but that's the sales pitch.

Are the noise-cancelling headphones a good idea? I hesitate because I can't help thinking that when I eventually take them off, the dull roar of the plane's engines would be twice as gruelling.

I only travel on coach so sleeping on long hauls are always a challenge, hence all the toys, gadgets and other diversions. Some have suggested taking some medication to induce sleep but I keep thinking that in the event of an emergency (knock on wood), my reflexes will be slow at a time when I need them the most.

How on earth some passengers can survive sitting in a non-aisle/window seat with nothing to look at aside from the in-flight magazine, is beyond me.

• 6 months later...

my work afforded me travels overseas. so far, i've only been around asia. amongst the countries i visited, i enjoyed thailand most because i'm a sucker for massages. singapore is okay - the whole country is like one big makati. malaysia - i've only been to the business district so i can't really make an informed comment about it. but their airport is really grand. ang ganda.