Back To The 70's

Yup, I've been watching this thread too.... bakit nga ba wala?

Anyway, Rudy Manlapaz, he's the guy na laging nabubunggo?  And he often played the role of a security guard or a policeman, right?

Bong of Baltic is Jimmy Morato?

Hi Liberty! Tayo lang yata ang gising...how's life in the Big Apple (just guessing)?

Yeah, you are right madlas ngang role ni Rudy ay pulis at clumsy guy hehe

But no I don't think Jimmy Morato played Bong...

medyo morbid lang...but here's a site where departed local personalities are fondly remembered: http://www.newsflash.org/2003/05/sb/sb003113.htm

Bong of Baltic and Company was played by none other than a young and slimmer (then) newscaster Angelo Castro who dabbled in acting long before he went into the newsroom.

Baltic and Co. was a good cartoon / tv show as it showed an almost honest portrayal of office characters.

Most specially the character Tom-- married, drinks too much, blows his pay too often. HOw many Toms have you known in your lifetime? Sa akin, madami na. Kahit na characters ni Mr. Golem or Ms. Tapia, madami tayong nakilala.

Jimmy Morato actually played the role of Tisoy in a Black and White film--just can't remember now if it was the late 60's or early 70's. Aling Otik was played by Moody Diaz.

Regards! :D

Hi Liberty! Tayo lang yata ang gising...how's life in the Big Apple (just guessing)?

Yeah, you are right madlas ngang role ni Rudy ay pulis at clumsy guy hehe

medyo morbid lang...but here's a site where departed local personalities are fondly remembered: http://www.newsflash.org/2003/05/sb/sb003113.htm

Edited by 16track
Good evening folks bago matulog.

EB tayo this week?

Hi Storm....and to all the 70's nit owls (diba program ito ni Lito Gorospe noong 60's - iba nang thread)..lalo na si Madam Libert :*

Game ako diyan sa EB. Sana this Saturday. :)

Bods, my friends and I are scheduled to lunch at OMA this Thurs. Fanatics sila ng Sushi-ya (for their cravings on tight budget) and I told them that your place is better. I am sure we will have a good lunch.

Hi Storm....and to all the 70's nit owls (diba program ito ni Lito Gorospe noong 60's - iba nang thread)..lalo na si Madam Liberty  :*

Game ako diyan sa EB.  Sana this Saturday.  :)

Bods, my friends and I are scheduled to lunch at OMA this Thurs.  Fanatics sila ng Sushi-ya (for their cravings on tight budget) and I told them that your place is better.  I am sure we will have a good lunch.

Yes, Madam Augustmoon, i remember Lito Gorospe's Nite Owl Dance Party sa Channel 11, laging malabo ang reception sa TV. (Sorry kung sa 60's thread dapat ito.)

Does anyone recall when the VCR craze (aka Betamax) hit Manila, the 70s or 80s? I used to tape the weekly shows of Three's Company, a really cute sitcom then, and its spin-off show, The Ropers.

Yeah, you are right madalas ngang role ni Rudy ay pulis at clumsy guy hehe

Nah, sorry if I misled you to think I am in the city that never sleeps (kaya lagi akong online ba?). Dito lang ako sa Manila... local...as local as can be. As your avatar shows, are you based in SFO?

Nah, sorry if I misled you to think I am in the city that never sleeps (kaya lagi akong online ba?).  Dito lang ako sa Manila... local...as local as can be.  As your avatar shows, are you based in SFO?

i am amused on how you can recall all those details. i do remember some of the shows like ariel con tina, baltic and company, iskul bukul, etc. but not the details.

what i still clearly recall was the movie "saturday night fever", and our parties where everyone would dance solo like john travolta whenever "you should be dancing" was played.

the song, "emotion" was what i danced to... kasi i only knew 2 dance steps then... sweet and very sweet. :boo:

mabe this time i will be at liberty ;) to attend the eb.

Edited by masi
i am amused on how you can recall all those details.  i do remember some of the shows like ariel con tina, baltic and company, iskul bukul, etc.  but not the details. 

what i still clearly recall was the movie "saturday night fever", and our parties where everyone would dance solo like john travolta whenever "you should be dancing" was played.

the song, "emotion" was what i danced to... kasi i only knew 2 dance steps then... sweet  and very sweet. :boo:

mabe this time i will be at liberty ;)  to attend the eb.

Emotion by Samantha Sang... It's over and done, but the heartache lives on inside...

Yup, count me in too for the EB, .... or my name isn't Liberty. ;) ;)

wow!

pareng masi, ano ba yung EB - sa Wine ba o sa 70's thread? :P

Saturday ba?

In Baltic & Co. the lady who played Roni's love interest (ano nga ba pangalan nya dun?) was Menchu Genato who became Mrs. Quinito Henson who became Tita Maggi :P Mr. Baltic I think was Prospero Luna.

Tisoy the comic strip morphed into the Ikabod bubwit series - nawala na yung mga tao!

Aling Otik's full name was Dona Narkotika Vda. de Clipeticlap - that's why her son and Tisoy's best friend is named Clip :lol: I forgot who played Clip....

wow!

pareng masi, ano ba yung EB - sa Wine ba o sa 70's thread? :P

Saturday ba?

In Baltic & Co. the lady who played Roni's love interest (ano nga ba pangalan nya dun?) was Menchu Genato who became Mrs. Quinito Henson who became Tita Maggi :P Mr. Baltic I think was Prospero Luna.

Tisoy the comic strip morphed into the Ikabod bubwit series - nawala na yung mga tao!

Aling Otik's full name was Dona Narkotika Vda. de Clipeticlap - that's why her son and Tisoy's best friend is named Clip :lol:  I forgot who played Clip....

pare, i was merely replying to the post of storm and augustmoon on the eb... game ako... game si liberty... game ka na rin ... ok spin a win na!!! (wala pang gamekanaba nung 70s heheheheh)!!! or if you want it to sound imported, this eb can be yours, iiiiiiiffffffffff the price is right!!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Does anyone recall when the VCR craze (aka Betamax) hit Manila, the 70s or 80s? I used to tape the weekly shows of Three's Company, a really cute sitcom then, and its spin-off show, The Ropers.

Remember how Mr. Roper would refer to Jack as "Tinkerbell" then put on that hilarious smile? Or how Mrs. Roper kept asking for sex from Mr. Roper...which he wouldn't give? Mr. Roper (sorry, I can't remember the actor's name) had a great replacement in the series. That was the Don Knotts, who put on his trademark trembling during a lot of episodes.

There was this one episode where they played strip poker, and it was Don Knotts who lost all his clothes. As he left the apartment unit with just two pillows to cover his privates, a policeman came along to arrest him for indecent exposure. The policeman told him to put out his hands (which were occupied with holding the pillows to cover his privates) so he could be handcuffed. Don Knotts looked at the officer in another trademark way and said, "Come on, have a heart!"

I once read (in TV Times, I believe), that Suzanne Sommers felt very threatened by Don Knotts because of his great timing and antics. At the time, she was still THE star of the show.

Remember how Mr. Roper would refer to Jack as "Tinkerbell" then put on that hilarious smile?  Or how Mrs. Roper kept asking for sex from Mr. Roper...which he wouldn't give?  Mr. Roper (sorry, I can't remember the actor's name) had a great replacement in the series.  That was the Don Knotts, who put on his trademark trembling during a lot of episodes. 

There was this one episode where they played strip poker, and it was Don Knotts who lost all his clothes.  As he left the apartment unit with just two pillows to cover his privates, a policeman came along to arrest him for indecent exposure.  The policeman told him to put out his hands (which were occupied with holding the pillows to cover his privates) so he could be handcuffed.  Don Knotts looked at the officer in another trademark way and said, "Come on, have a heart!"

I once read (in TV Times, I believe), that Suzanne Sommers felt very threatened by Don Knotts because of his great timing and antics.  At the time, she was still THE star of the show.

Norman Fell played Mr. Roper while Audra Linley was Mrs. Roper.

Jack Tripper, Janet Wood, and Chrissie Snow (her real name daw was "Christmas Snow")

were the 3 flatmates. The 2 girls had opposing personalities, and coupled with Jack's flirting,

riot talaga!! :upside:

Jack Tripper, Janet Wood, and Chrissie Snow (her real name daw was "Christmas Snow")

were the 3 flatmates.  The 2 girls had opposing personalities, and coupled with Jack's flirting,

riot talaga!!  :upside:

There was this one episode during the first season when Jack (the late John Ritter) appeared in his briefs and nothing more. There was also another episode where Janet tripped over Jack and actually brushed his privates. I believe this wasn't intentional, but it was simply kept in, possibly because it was so hilarious.

were the 3 flatmates.  The 2 girls had opposing personalities, and coupled with Jack's flirting,

riot talaga!!  :upside:

And for Jack to remain in the apartment with the girls, he had to pretend he's gay. This complicates the entire plot since Mr. Roper knows that Jack is gay. I think Mrs. Roper knows Jack is straight and the other playboy friend of Jack who wants to hit the girls play has to play a role with Jack when Mr. Roper was around.

This reminds me of the debut of Tom Hanks in Bossom Buddies. A story of 2 guys who pretended to be girls to stay in an all girls dormitory. I forgot the name of the other guy and this tall blonde girl whom Tom was trying to hit.

Yes, Madam Augustmoon, i remember Lito Gorospe's Nite Owl Dance Party sa Channel 11, laging malabo ang reception sa TV. (Sorry kung sa 60's thread dapat ito.) 

Yung mga unang Betamax pa nun would be those huge monsters whose cassette lids would snap upwards when you hit eject. It was pretty cool to have one actually. I would go pa to Virra Mall (medyo 80's na to), deposit 80 bucks and pay 20 pesos to rent a betamax tape for 3 days.

Oh yeeeah..Three's Company...I used to look forward to that every week...Sundays at 9 sa Channel 7 diba? Tapos 7:30 Mork & Mindy yata...The Ropers and Three's A Crowd, both spinoffs - didn't last long. Both Mr and Mrs Roper sadly passed away, along with John Ritter. Sayang, a reunion show would have been something. Oh, that sleazy guy who played Jack's best friend was Larry.

"Come and knock on our door, we've been waiting for you.....where the kisses are hers and hers and his..."

Nah, sorry if I misled you to think I am in the city that never sleeps (kaya lagi akong online ba?).  Dito lang ako sa Manila... local...as local as can be.  As your avatar shows, are you based in SFO?

No, native din ako...the avatar is just one of my favorite snapshots. Just had the privilege of visiting SFO sometime ago...but MNL is still, and will always be, home.

After SNL, ang daming nag pa haircut a la John Travolta. Yung walang sideburns, blow dried hair...ga kampana ang bell bottoms, bukas ang first three buttons ng bang bang polo, the shinier the better....kaya galit na galit kami

My other favorite tunes were "Boogie Oogie Oogie", "Disco Inferno" and "More than a Woman".

Ang ice breaker sa party nun was "Sing a Song" by Earth, Wind and Fire, hehehe...pero watch out - pag "How Deep is Your Love" na ang song, "sweet" dancing na...hahaha...Golly, what haunting memories.

Hi to All... may a digress a bit ?

Do any of you remember NICHOLAS STOODLEY Designer pants? (LOcal brand pero imported kuno ang quality) They used to have aboutique in Ali Mall and GoldCrest in the late 70's....

And for the women...the brand JAZZIE ????....AZABACHE too.

Memories of them, if any, please.

Have a good one

Aha.. yep... sure do remember those!

Jazzie was actually one of the first brands to spearhead the local RTW industry. Nicholas Stoodley was a favorite of one of my classmates in Greenhills so I remember the brand. Their store was just right at the top of Virra Mall stair case.

I was not much into Stoodley--so I went to the other side of Virra where they sold the Jimmy Connors and Grand Slam shirts. Darn,,, anybody remember the "Stretch Jeans" fad? heheh!

Going back to RTW period, remember that before RTW became popular-- we all had to go to the local tailor ( modista for girls ) to have clothes made?

Speaking of Virra Mall and the other areas in Greenhills such as Padilla Arcade, Manilabank Arcade.. Remember Budjiwara Salon?

Hi to All... may a digress a bit ?

Do any of you remember NICHOLAS STOODLEY Designer pants?  (LOcal brand pero imported kuno ang quality)  They used to have aboutique in Ali Mall and GoldCrest in the late 70's....

And for the women...the brand JAZZIE ????....AZABACHE too.

Memories of them, if any, please.

Have a good one

Edited by 16track