Back To The 70's

Then it's Warren Beatty. Para Lear Jet lang, kindly check archived chismis on her lovelife. It's fuzzy now but I think he was her first relationship.

...but you gave away the things you love and one of them was me...

I've always suspected it was Warren because it is in his personality to be vain. . .

Edited by Magaling
Guest airmax

Naalala ko yang mini tonka at matchbox plus the voltes v miniature toy w/c costs around P500 at that time sa Greenhills. Ang mahal ano. Gusto ko pa naman nyan dati.

You have to remember, though, that by 1973, Redford and Beatty were already big stars.  Redford had already starred in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "Barefoot in the Park," "This Property is Condemned," "Tell Them Willie Boy is Here" and, in 1973 itself, "The Way We Were" and "The Sting." Beatty had also starred in several hits such as "Bonnie and Clyde" and "Splendor in the Grass."  Both Redford and Beatty were already pretty big by then ... and rich as well.

The thing against Redford is that his name has no "A."  Simon herself has said that the person's name has an A, an E, and an R.

hehe still not convinced :P

to nitpick a bit more - You're so Vain was written early 70's I think but there's a line there that says you had me several years ago/when I was still quite naive... so he had her around late 60's. I don't think Warren was THAT rich then to have a LearJet, to have a horse that would compete in Saratoga,etc :P He was famous and had those films but I don't think he'd be that rich...

sorry folks walang magawa this hour of the day :D

Hehehe pareng bods, that Learjet could have been symbolic. It could have been an exagerration. Writers do these things, often to have an "escape hatch" in case they're sued or something by their subjects. Or even imprisoned, as in the old, old, old days. But the allusion is there. In the case of "You're so vain," the emotions are real. The details are not necessarily so. In fact, Simon's lyrics hid the identity of her subject so well that it's still a matter of speculation.

Anyway, you still owe me four beers!!!

Edited by jt2003
Hehehe pareng bods, that Learjet could have been symbolic.  It could have been an exagerration.  Writers do these things, often to have an "escape hatch" in case they're sued or something by their subjects.  Or even imprisoned, as in the old, old, old days.  But the allusion is there.  In the case of "You're so vain," the emotions are real.  The details are not necessarily so.  In fact, Simon's lyrics  hid the identity of her subject so well that it's still a matter of speculation.

Anyway, you still owe me four beers!!!

I thought you were off the bottle na :P

anytime pare when where?

Dun na lang sa atin para malapit!

over 8 bottles I think we can come near to deciphering Carly's lyrics :P

Sorry for the rude interruption, but may I join in....

Hi Bods, JT, Storm... I have to admire your memory and how you manage to recall everything.

To aide my recollection of these glorious days.. I have been buying DVD and CDs... so far I managed to collect concerts and best of... Toto, Duran Duran, Led Zep (Song remains the Same), Rolling Stones, Foreigner, David Bowie, Billy Idol, Spandau Ballet, Eagles (reunion concert), Deep Purple, Sting, EWF, Fleetwood Mac, etc.

Have a good one...

Sorry for the rude interruption, but may I join in....

Hi Bods, JT, Storm... I have to admire your memory and how  you manage to recall everything.

To aide my recollection of these glorious  days.. I have been buying DVD and CDs... so far I  managed to collect concerts and best of... Toto, Duran Duran, Led Zep (Song remains the Same), Rolling Stones, Foreigner, David Bowie, Billy Idol, Spandau Ballet, Eagles (reunion concert), Deep Purple, Sting, EWF, Fleetwood Mac, etc.

Have a good one...

pare you owe us a lot of beers dahil matagal ka na naming hinihintay dito :P

that's a great collection you have out there...those are great to watch while having some drinks with friends hehehe.....

I had a lot of concert films sa VHS though most of them are unusable now - sayang nga. Glenn Frey, Carole King, Chicago, U2, Santana, pero yung Woodstock ko is surprisingly holding up well still. Nasira na din yung Concert for Bangladesh ko.

cheers!

What we had during the 70s that we no longer have today are those restaurants that were devoted purely to ice cream concoctions. The best, of course, was the Magnolia plant along Aurora Boulevard. After family Sunday lunch at my grandfather's house in Cubao, we would go there, and the place would be full of people. The entire place smelled of ice cream and barquillos. Rainbow pairfait, chocolate parfait, birthday delight, macapuno cobbler, strawberry cobbler, banana split, etc. The menu itself was so impressive. There were so many dishes to choose from. The last time I went to the place was in the mid-90s. So different. They were serving ice cream concoctions in plastic cups. The "ice cream creativity" was gone. I haven't been back since.

There was also a Magnolia Ice Cream House in Quad. Same thing. A wide variety of ice cream dishes. There was also one in Cubao, right next to the Sampaguita theater.

These days, you'd be hard-pressed to find an establishment that offers a real, real Rainbow Parfait.

Wow.... Cobblers and Parfaits, Peach Melbas... Splits, Coke Floats... Your are right... The Magnolia Shops were one of a kind. Is the one in Aurora still open? I remember that my dad used to stop over there after buying a few items in Arcega's.

Remember Arcega's? where they used to sell balls, bikes and other non-electronic toys?

These ice cream parlors are hard to find now as the ones in malls just don't seem the same. I went to a small ICe Cream shop along Shaw and asked the counter girl if the had any Rainbow Parfait or any other concoction. She said that " Di kami nag sold ng ganun, sir. Iscooping lang amin".

I think I got what she meant. Oh well. :D

quote=jt2003,Jul 20 2005, 03:22 AM]

What we had during the 70s that we no longer have today are those restaurants that were devoted purely to ice cream concoctions. The best, of course, was the Magnolia plant along Aurora Boulevard. After family Sunday lunch at my grandfather's house in Cubao, we would go there, and the place would be full of people. The entire place smelled of ice cream and barquillos. Rainbow pairfait, chocolate parfait, birthday delight, macapuno cobbler, strawberry cobbler, banana split, etc. The menu itself was so impressive. There were so many dishes to choose from. The last time I went to the place was in the mid-90s. So different. They were serving ice cream concoctions in plastic cups. The "ice cream creativity" was gone. I haven't been back since.

There was also a Magnolia Ice Cream House in Quad. Same thing. A wide variety of ice cream dishes. There was also one in Cubao, right next to the Sampaguita theater.

These days, you'd be hard-pressed to find an establishment that offers a real, real Rainbow Parfait.

Remember Arcega's? where they used to sell balls, bikes and other non-electronic toys?

Sanamagan, Arcega's had the best bikes around. I remember the days of Sumalde, Cabangbang, and Etrata (Samson, not the other Etrata). I dreamed of being like those guys, winning even just one stage of the Tour of Luzon. The only place that rivalled Arcega's in terms of bikes was COD. It also had a great bike offering.

Sanamagan, Arcega's had the best bikes around.  I remember the days of Sumalde, Cabangbang, and Etrata (Samson, not the other Etrata).  I dreamed of being like those guys, winning even just one stage of the Tour of Luzon.  The only place that rivalled Arcega's in terms of bikes was COD.  It also had a great bike offering.

right across arcegas was a "slot" car track? do you remember the name?

every saturday morning, on channel 7, uncle bob had a show featuring the latest in toys that were sold in his toy store, panacraft(?)

whoever remembers this tune of a cartoon series, just continue it....

"Arnie Barkley is the head of the Barkley house. They've got kids, Terry, Roger and Chester, too...."

heheh.. I know what you mean bro!

My first ever bike was no other than a.... "Patria"! A blue cruiser that had a single padded seat with a rack at the rear. It also had a "kring kring " bell was more annoying than pleasant. :D

It also had a reverse foot break.

And then the Easy Rider bike came along with the high handle bars and the long seats. Most challenging to use at first were the brakes which were now cable and separate for front and back. After a few falls... came the eventual wheeley! Whooohoo! :cool:

Those were the days!

Sanamagan, Arcega's had the best bikes around.  I remember the days of Sumalde, Cabangbang, and Etrata (Samson, not the other Etrata).  I dreamed of being like those guys, winning even just one stage of the Tour of Luzon.  The only place that rivalled Arcega's in terms of bikes was COD.  It also had a great bike offering.