Back To The 70's

I remember clearly the Rockwell power plant explosion back in the 1970's. The power plant was owned by Meralco and was located on what is today the Rockwell Power Plant Mall.

The fire raged on for a couple of days before the actual explosion occurred. Houses and cars along Bel-Air village were destroyed, particularly those closest to the power plant.

My family and I lived in San Lorenzo Village, approximately 2 to 2.5 km (line of sight)away. I was on the roof of my house when the power plant blew up. I saw the flame rise straight up probably 2,000 feet high and I felt the intense heat of the blast. It felt like I had put my head close to an oven after opening it. It was that hot. I can imagine the heat in the Bel-Air homes facing Rockwell. It must have been in the thousands of degrees. Anyone in that area would have been incinerated.

And to think I was in San Lorenzo Village which is quite a ways from Rockwell. It took several days to put out the fire with the help of the US military because it was an oil fire. Local fire departments did not have the capability or the resources to put out oil fires at that time.

Later, I recall visiting the site. It was like a war zone. I saw burned homes, cars, trees, etc. I don't recall how many homes burned but there were a lot.

May bagong silang, may bago nang buhay

Bagong bansa, bagong galaw

Sa bagong lipunan

Magbabago ang lahat

Tungo sa pag-unlad

and so on...amazing how deeply burnt these lyrics are into my memory. and my memory sucks.

i remember singing 'Bagong Lipunan' as a kid. recalling it now, it sounds just like a communist march. how ironic.

Sa bagong lipunan

Magbabago ang lahat

Tungo sa pag-unlad

and so on...amazing how deeply burnt these lyrics are into my memory. and my memory sucks.

i remember singing 'Bagong Lipunan' as a kid. recalling it now, it sounds just like a communist march. how ironic.

Yup same here. Who could forget this piece of propaganda from the early 70's? And yes it does sound communist. That's because communist countries espouse propaganda lines in an effort to brainwash its citizens.

Sa bagong lipunan

Magbabago ang lahat

Tungo sa pag-unlad

Just like singing "Pilipinas Kong Mahal" and "Ako Ay Pilipino" as part of the Marcos propaganda machine. Not to mention "Dahil Sa Iyo" simply because it was FL's favorite song. Heck, even the Lettermen went here for a concert and did a rendition of this Miguel Velarde track.

The Junior Citizen was also introduced as part of our Social Studies (Araling Panlipunan) subject in grade school. This was the in bond paper size, around 8 pages total, released weekly, and where we get to read current events. Of course, the news was just part of the "the true, the good and the beautiful" messages that Marcos wanted to send out to us...

Imee Marcos of course had her Kabataan Barangay machine working with the youth. It produced the cult classic, "Kaluskos Musmos," a comedy gag show featuring then kids Maila Gumila, Herbert and Hero Bautista, Maricel Soriano, among others. Gary Lising was there as well to tickle our respective funny bones.

And of course, who can forget "Pulong-Pulong sa Kaunlaran?" Another one of many Marcos' propaganda machines, this show came at around 7:30PM every Wednesday and shown, believe it or not, on ALL channels - BBC 2, GTV 4, GMA 7, RPN 9 and IBC 13. Hosted by Rey Pedroche and Lee Andres, this was one of the reasons why I hated tv viewing on Wednesdays.

Speaking of news, the broadcast anchors back then included the likes of Harry Gasser, Ninez Cacho Olivares, Loren Legarda and Thelma Aranda of Channel 9, Bong Lapira and Tina Monzon Palma of Channel 7, Lee Andres of BBC 2 (done in Tagalog), Bon Vibar, Rita Gaddi Baltazar and Mel Tiangco on NMPC GTV 4, and Frankie Evangelista of IBC 13. Olivares was caught smirking at a video clip when Imelda was extolling her true, good and beautiful messages once more that she got kicked out of the government-run station immediately after. All news programs were shown simultaneously at 7PM which was why Channel's 7 news program was aptly titled, "News at 7."

Speaking of news, the broadcast anchors back then included the likes of Harry Gasser, Ninez Cacho Olivares, Loren Legarda and Thelma Aranda of Channel 9, Bong Lapira and Tina Monzon Palma of Channel 7, Lee Andres of BBC 2 (done in Tagalog), Bon Vibar, Rita Gaddi Baltazar and Mel Tiangco on NMPC GTV 4, and Frankie Evangelista of IBC 13. Olivares was caught smirking at a video clip when Imelda was extolling her true, good and beautiful messages once more that she got kicked out of the government-run station immediately after. All news programs were shown simultaneously at 7PM which was why Channel's 7 news program was aptly titled, "News at 7."

Dada Lorenzana @ Channel 4 News

Malou Maglutac in Student Canteen

Just like singing "Pilipinas Kong Mahal" and "Ako Ay Pilipino" as part of the Marcos propaganda machine. Not to mention "Dahil Sa Iyo" simply because it was FL's favorite song. Heck, even the Lettermen went here for a concert and did a rendition of this Miguel Velarde track.

The Junior Citizen was also introduced as part of our Social Studies (Araling Panlipunan) subject in grade school. This was the in bond paper size, around 8 pages total, released weekly, and where we get to read current events. Of course, the news was just part of the "the true, the good and the beautiful" messages that Marcos wanted to send out to us...

Now that you mentioned The Lettermen, I'm sure you guys from the 70's remember pianist Van Cliburn and actor George Hamilton whom Imelda used to invite to the Philippines on a regular basis. Among her other friends at that time were Adnan Khashoggi, the international arms dealer, and Doris Duke, the tobacco heiress.

Wow, the thread I started is active again. Thanks guys for keeping this alive.

Thanks Bods for telling me about this. Makes me reminisce once more about the 70s.

I knew both Loren Legarda and Thelma Dumpit even before they became news anchor. :P

Magaling mag-swing si Thelma.

Thanks Bods for telling me about this. Makes me reminisce once more about the 70s.

I knew both Loren Legarda and Thelma Dumpit even before they became news anchor. :P

Pareng storm, see what I told you. This thread is alive and kicking. Regarding news anchors, crush ko nuon si Loren Legarda and Thelma Dumpit, but Thelma Dumpit was then on a government station, she being the daughter of then Brig. Gen. Tomas Dumpit.

Mga bro this is one of the most interesting threads on MTC. Almost everyone wants to reminisce the past. Thanks for the contribution to MTC.

Pareng storm, see what I told you. This thread is alive and kicking. Regarding news anchors, crush ko nuon si Loren Legarda and Thelma Dumpit, but Thelma Dumpit was then on a government station, she being the daughter of then Brig. Gen. Tomas Dumpit.

Interesting you brought up the general. He was alleged to be the mastermind of several carjacking crimes back in Martial Law. This wasn't proven of course but you can imagine what Thelma Dumpit had to confront herself with from all these rumors in the grapevine.

Didn't have a crush on Thelma though - she just came on too strong for me. Even her voice was too "masculine" for comfort. But that's me! :)

Yes, Dada Lorenzana was also part of the NMPC Group back then. So was Doris Bigornia (as a reporter).

Early mornings we woke up with the refreshing face of Merce Henares on BBC 2 for "Good Morning Manila." I practically caught every episode of this show during summer vacation when I get to wake up early and with nothing to do. Jeez, I practically memorized the prices of all vegetables sold at Nepa-Q-Mart back then! Haha!

At 11:00AM, one of my favorite local comedy shows of all time - "Cafeteria Aroma" - was shown on GMA7. Since my high school classes began at 12NN, it was not uncommon for my classmates to talk about the episode for the day upon getting to school. Cafeteria Aroma starred the underrated comedian Apeng Daldal, his elder brother "Manok," the famous balding guitarist Miniong Villegas, and the sward "Johnson." Hilarious when they came up with the daily news with Apeng in his typical dead-pan facial expression upon delivering the punchline.

GMA's roster of shows were: 10AM - Ike's Movie-Go-Round; 11AM - Cafeteria Aroma; 11:30AM - Suerte Sa Siete; 12NN - Student Canteen; 1:30PM - Sine Siete (featuring classic local movies from LVN, Sampaguita and Premiere of the 50's and 60's); 3PM - The 700 Club...

Mga bro this is one of the most interesting threads on MTC. Almost everyone wants to reminisce the past. Thanks for the contribution to MTC.

Interesting you brought up the general. He was alleged to be the mastermind of several carjacking crimes back in Martial Law. This wasn't proven of course but you can imagine what Thelma Dumpit had to confront herself with from all these rumors in the grapevine.

Didn't have a crush on Thelma though - she just came on too strong for me. Even her voice was too "masculine" for comfort. But that's me! :)

Yes, Dada Lorenzana was also part of the NMPC Group back then. So was Doris Bigornia (as a reporter).

Early mornings we woke up with the refreshing face of Merce Henares on BBC 2 for "Good Morning Manila." I practically caught every episode of this show during summer vacation when I get to wake up early and with nothing to do. Jeez, I practically memorized the prices of all vegetables sold at Nepa-Q-Mart back then! Haha!

At 11:00AM, one of my favorite local comedy shows of all time - "Cafeteria Aroma" - was shown on GMA7. Since my high school classes began at 12NN, it was not uncommon for my classmates to talk about the episode for the day upon getting to school. Cafeteria Aroma starred the underrated comedian Apeng Daldal, his elder brother "Manok," the famous balding guitarist Miniong Villegas, and the sward "Johnson." Hilarious when they came up with the daily news with Apeng in his typical dead-pan facial expression upon delivering the punchline.

GMA's roster of shows were: 10AM - Ike's Movie-Go-Round; 11AM - Cafeteria Aroma; 11:30AM - Suerte Sa Siete; 12NN - Student Canteen; 1:30PM - Sine Siete (featuring classic local movies from LVN, Sampaguita and Premiere of the 50's and 60's); 3PM - The 700 Club...

Bro storm, sweeter mo. Batang-bata pa si Thelma Dumpit nun. I think I saw her lately again giving out the news. I forgot what channel, and yes she has a different surname now.

Oscar, thanks. We thought this thread was dead until you guys came along. Let's go.for the ride again!

Jay p. , I knew Gen. Dumpit was notorious then, but not that notorious.hehe. I think he ran for some govt office in Pangasinan. Cafeteria Aroma was also a great favorite then. I love the style of Apeng. So simple.but effective. Hinihika pa yun habang nagsasalita.

I remember Tina Monzon Palma was a news anchor on Channel 7 and the weather guy for Channel 7 was Amado Mercado while Harry Gasser was the anchor for Channel 9. My favorite channel then was 7.

Tina Monzon Palma was my go-to newscaster for the correct pronunciation of English words. Her, Sesame Street, and The Electric Company with Morgan Freeman as the Easy Reader.

how is it you remember so much?

as a kid, i joined a coloring contest on a variety show for children. there was a Milo-drinking contest, too, and the host was this bushy-haired guy. but i cannot, for the life of me, remember the name of the show.

Speaking of Thelma Aranda was she the sister of Jon Aranda? Jon Aranda was the first husband of Loren Legarda, so that for a time she was called Loren Legarda-Aranda before she became Loren Legarda Leviste and now she's back to plain Loren Legarda. I wonder what hyphenated transformation she will be next time. Jon Aranda was a pilot based in the States, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by bods1000

Speaking of Thelma Aranda was she the sister of Jon Aranda? Jon Aranda was the first husband of Loren Legarda, so that for a time she was called Loren Legarda-Aranda before she became Loren Legarda Leviste and now she's back to plain Loren Legarda. I wonder what hyphenated transformation she will be next time. Jon Aranda was a pilot based in the States, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe Thelma Aranda was the sister of Dina who was my batch at La Salle. She was beauty and brains. Extremely intelligent and extremely cute. She was the proverbial "crush ng bayan." Didn't even dare say hi to her because I felt I wasn't on her league. I think everyone had a crush on her back then. I can still picture her cute face in my head.

She and her family used to live in San Lorenzo Village, the same village I grew up in.

They - the Thelmas (Dumpit and Aranda), Loren and Luchi of TV 5 became newscasters in the early 80s.

In the early 70s, the beauties I remember were

The Revilla sisters - Maritess and Tina

The Moran sisters - Margie and Lulette (or Ludette) Moran

The Diaz sisters - Gloria and Rio

Hilda Koronel

Crispy Sta Maria

Toni Rose Gayda

Marianne Dela Riva

Aurora Pijuan

Yogi Dominguez

Maan Hontiveros

Charo Santos